Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm level 22 and still wearing my level 11 griffin outfit because the thread gave me the impression "witcher gear" is better and wearing a set is good, but i'm finding better stuff now but it's not "witcher gear". How do I upgrade my poo poo? What should I do? I also don't really care for how it looks :(
Upgrade to and craft weapons/armor that are on your level. Don't listen to people telling you to only use witcher gear, it was never the case for me. Yeah, it's cool to switch to the highest witcher sets in the endgame that's what they're for but it's absolutely not required before that point. The game is too easy to worry about min-maxing gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The more I learn about sorcerers the more I think Radovid did nothing wrong. Wanton use of mind control and manipulation, extreme selfishness, arrogance, often claiming they have some grand moral code and then loving everyone around them for some nebulous "greater good" or personal goal.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Butyraceous posted:

I used it too, but after reading the warning about it potentially breaking quest triggers, I would fully leave any building I was in during a quest. Didn't have any troubles with it throughout my playthrough.

It's the 'Get Junior' quest that got me. You end that one, need to leave the house and then exit the compound to hit the next quest trigger. I, full of beer and purpose, just fast traveled out outside the house.

My fault no doubt, the quest is mentioned in warning all over the place regarding the mod. I did read some dev comments on the problem though which gave me a great insight into how shaky the devs consider the entire game. He basically tried to explain how complicated and held together by strings the entire game is. Which is impressive as I've run into no problems beyond what I caused myself.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Baronjutter posted:

The more I learn about sorcerers the more I think Radovid did nothing wrong. Wanton use of mind control and manipulation, extreme selfishness, arrogance, often claiming they have some grand moral code and then loving everyone around them for some nebulous "greater good" or personal goal.

They have great tits though

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Baronjutter posted:

Not any different than any other nobility group in the witcher world.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Radovid's means don't justify his ends though. Even if we agree that getting rid of the current crop of mind controlling kingdom threatening magic users is a good idea, violently torturing non-humans and herbalists isn't the way to go about it.

People seem a bit more jaded to mind control, in the Witcher universive. That godling Sarah was keeping Corrine Tilley in an eternal nightmare that she would have presumably starved to death in. The godling was taking pleasure in torturing someone and all Geralt did was move her along? He's killed nicer people for less.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I almost never used any mind control in the game, I always assumed the level 1 spell was just like "chill out" and helped calm the person so they could think clearly and not make a stupid angry snap decision. Geralt even lectures another witcher about over-using the sign and how it's pretty immoral. And yeah, that godling was bad, she was behaving as a dangerous and deadly monster. Letting her stay was easier because gently caress running off and looking for yet another herb, and also gently caress bankers.

I guess when it comes to nightmare coma monsters and bankers I'll pick the lesser of two evils, which is generally the best you can do in the Witcher.

Also I love in this war-torn fantasy universe there's apparently one official company making Gwent cards? Magic cards are only valuable because one company controls all production and organizes all official tournaments. How does it work in the witcher? What stops people from just making their own cards? Is there some secret order of Gwent card makers that seal every card with magic to authenticate it?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 15, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I almost never used any mind control in the game, I always assumed the level 1 spell was just like "chill out" and helped calm the person so they could think clearly and not make a stupid angry snap decision. Geralt even lectures another witcher about over-using the sign and how it's pretty immoral. And yeah, that godling was bad, she was behaving as a dangerous and deadly monster. Letting her stay was easier because gently caress running off and looking for yet another herb, and also gently caress bankers.

I guess when it comes to nightmare coma monsters and bankers I'll pick the lesser of two evils, which is generally the best you can do in the Witcher.

Also I love in this war-torn fantasy universe there's apparently one official company making Gwent cards? Magic cards are only valuable because one company controls all production and organizes all official tournaments. How does it work in the witcher? What stops people from just making their own cards? Is there some secret order of Gwent card makers that seal every card with magic to authenticate it?

Using Axii in conversations is basically Jedi Mind Trick.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pellisworth posted:

And I always thought the Jedi were pretty lovely for that. Like if it's a matter of life and death, it's better to warp the enemy's mind than to kill them. But to just get what you want or information from a regular ol' civilian? gently caress that, you call them in for an official questioning or leave them alone. poo poo like that would get me to support a strong leader vowing to reign them in and restore the rule of law to the galaxy. Due process mother fuckers.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In the Witcher world proxying gwent cards is a capital offense.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Baronjutter posted:

I almost never used any mind control in the game, I always assumed the level 1 spell was just like "chill out" and helped calm the person so they could think clearly and not make a stupid angry snap decision.
This is how it works in the books. It's just a calming spell, Geralt can't make people think new stuff or change their decisions. In the games it's expanded into that territory, not even mentioning directly controling the minds of Geralt's enemies that will happily kill their friends when under the spell. It's not really consistent.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I use Axii a lot and Geralt pretty much only uses it to get people to spill the beans or to pay up when they are trying to gently caress him over a contract, nothing wrong with that imo.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Palpek posted:

Upgrade to and craft weapons/armor that are on your level. Don't listen to people telling you to only use witcher gear, it was never the case for me. Yeah, it's cool to switch to the highest witcher sets in the endgame that's what they're for but it's absolutely not required before that point. The game is too easy to worry about min-maxing gear.

People recommend only using Witcher Gear because only Witcher Gear doesn't look like poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pellisworth posted:

I love when there is a group of people and you mind trick one of them, then someone else notices that his buddy suddenly changed his mind after the witcher waved his hands around.

Then they attack you.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Woozy posted:

People recommend only using Witcher Gear because only Witcher Gear doesn't look like poo poo.
If you bothered to read the post I was answering to you'd see that he specifically mentioned he doesn't care about the looks.

Personally I don't have a problem with how most armor looks in the game though, even the colorful stuff, it feels authentic.

There's also some good stuff:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
"Care for how it looks" is what the man said, friend.

Edit: Lots of people don't like that the Griffin set makes Geralt look sort of pot-bellied, and most of the other armor in the game has the same effect on his profile.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 15, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

drat that looks good. Yeah the stats from armour matter but in the grand scheme I rather look good. Hopefully find a balance really. Griffin armour makes me look a bit chubby and it's making Geralt really self conscious. Another witcher said I was a "fat gently caress" and it was pretty triggering.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Cirofren posted:

Radovid's means don't justify his ends though. Even if we agree that getting rid of the current crop of mind controlling kingdom threatening magic users is a good idea, violently torturing non-humans and herbalists isn't the way to go about it.

People seem a bit more jaded to mind control, in the Witcher universive. That godling Sarah was keeping Corrine Tilley in an eternal nightmare that she would have presumably starved to death in. The godling was taking pleasure in torturing someone and all Geralt did was move her along? He's killed nicer people for less.

Hang on, She wasn't taking pleasure in it, she was doing it because she needed a place to hide. I wrapped that up by letting Sarah stay with Corrines permission, and later in the game I visited that house again and they were getting along just fine in a mother/daughter type relationship.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Mastercrafted Cat gear looks really nice, you look like a king going to war.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Supreme Allah posted:

Hang on, She wasn't taking pleasure in it, she was doing it because she needed a place to hide. I wrapped that up by letting Sarah stay with Corrines permission, and later in the game I visited that house again and they were getting along just fine in a mother/daughter type relationship.

I wasn't aware of that future occurrence. I didn't think Corrine lived there either, I thought she was a contractor doing a job for a banker who owned the property. Why would she then live there with a godling who trapped her in a never-ending nightmare?

Regardless you find this place that Corrine is dreaming in and go in to talk to her. She can't wake up and you find the godling. I don't remember the exact conversation but the godling laughs and jokes about Corrine being stuck in the nightmare and refers to it as play. Sure godlings like mischief, good for them, they're also supposed to like living in dirt holes in the forest and they're supposed to protect people and be smart enough to move on when it comes time to.

The creature was without remorse and a mortal danger to the human realm it had unnaturally come to inhabit. That's grounds for the silver.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You're a bit harsh on judging godlings there.
They're very like children and have a childish sense of mischief and a child's level of understanding of consequences too. They're a kind of Puckish type of creature.
If you talk with Sarah she enthusiastically tells you how much she loves scary nightmares and so she thinks that everyone else loves scary nightmares too. She thought that Corinne would be having fun! When Corinne wakes up she describes the nightmares as she was being chased by hungry furniture and laughs it off. That's why they end up making friends, Corinne can see that she is harmless.
Please stop killing godlings or I'll send the Trolls round to sort you out :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

El Hefe posted:

Mastercrafted Cat gear looks really nice, you look like a king going to war.
I just run around like this hitting Wild Hunt with my shovel:

Alternatively:

It would own if you could wear masks and ears at the same time. Maybe there's a mod for that?

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 15, 2015

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Did you intentionally lose a game of Gwent just to get those ears?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yes, you also get extra roasted by everybody during all the wedding events when you're wearing them so it's totally worth it just to make the quest even more hilarious.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The writing in this game is just amazing but there are a few little mistakes. Like for example when you pick up the whore two feet away from Yen, she doesn't even bat an eyelid. As a character I feel like Yen would be really pissed off about that and say something. Perhaps even dump Geralt on the spot and set him on fire.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Woozy posted:

"Care for how it looks" is what the man said, friend.

Edit: Lots of people don't like that the Griffin set makes Geralt look sort of pot-bellied, and most of the other armor in the game has the same effect on his profile.

It does make him look pot bellied, because thats how they made breastplates back in the day. you want the spear thrust to slide off and to the side, not be able to to lodge in part of the armor and knock you around.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So about how many talent points should I score, roughly speaking, in a single completionist play through, without NG+?

Also, would a generalist build that just took from the first two tiers in each tree be viable without later tier skills? Thinking fast attacks and poisoned Blades and signs, basically, but don't know if later content requires top tree stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 15, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you're doing all side quests you will easily be able to get tier 4 skills and fill every skill slot before the end of the game. You'll actually have a lot of trouble doing all quests before you outlevel them, even if you're always doing the lowest-level quest available.

And yeah tier 3 and 4 skills are generally not hugely better than tier 1 and 2 skills, so a generalist build can work. Especially if you're not playing on the hardest difficulty. In the end the combat is still action-oriented so it's probably entirely possible to complete the game with no skills equipped at all as long as you get really good at dodging.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So about how many talent points should I score, roughly speaking, in a single completionist play through, without NG+?

Also, would a generalist build that just took from the first two tiers in each tree be viable without later tier skills? Thinking fast attacks and poisoned Blades and signs, basically, but don't know if later content requires top tree stuff.

At one point I tallied them up, and I'm pretty sure there are 24 Places of Power for the whole game unless the expansion added some. Then you get +1 every level after the first, reaching about lvl34-35 finishing the main quest and ~38 finishing the expansion.

So around 60 total.

A hybrid build is extremely viable and what I used for end-game and NG+ Death March. The higher tier stuff isn't hugely better than lower tier, other than maybe Rend/Whirl which can significantly change your gameplay and are in third tier.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I really wasn't feeling most things, and the sign build with a few select others has basically made me a mage with a sword. The most important is casting signs with adrenaline points. I didn't discover them until skellige. But now every fight pretty much turns into set up properly, then DOT's to death. i guess If I divided my skills better I'd have added some bomb skills.

Fire damage + 100% chance of burning + Turret + The Yrden Circles dealing DOT. Slap a Poison bomb on top and there are few things living, a dragons dream also provides a kick.

Too bad I missed out on the pre-nerf igni damage and yrden freezing enemies in place.
Still a good build. Half way through most fights you can also chain cast about 6 signs at any given time (the adrenaline points are only used when your stamina is empty but it still refills during a sign cast so it should refill during use). So those annoying fights in small rooms, you just replace dodges with Alternate aard to back everyone away from you. Or just burn them alot.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 15, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If you're playing with an expansion and do absolutely everything you should finish at level 39 - which is just one level short of being able to use the Viper set and many people complained about that. Additionaly there are 25 places of power that give you a talent each and HoS adds a couple more but I'm not sure how many exactly.

You also do miss out on not using the 3rd tier skills as that's where Whirl and Rend are on the melee tree which are absolute game changers as they give you new powerful attack moves. You will also miss out on adrenaline regeneration which makes a difference during combat. You're basically crippling yourself not going into the 3rd tier when you have a melee build. The 4th tier is more something you can ignore.

It's safer to ignore the 3rd and 4th tiers in the signs tree because you should either go all in or you will only observe incremental differences every level.

The alchemy tree is the one that benefits from the late tiers the most. Side Effects nad Killing Spree own, not mentioning other cool stuff in the 3rd tier. But all of that is for a pure alchemy build which is just crazy overpowered honestly.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 15, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, and is critical chance what I stack to increase chance of bleed/ burn/ poison or are those separate? Ie will precise blows mean I poison more?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I finished Hearts of Stone's main quest the other night and oh wow! It was really great. So many cool interesting ideas that kept the game feeling fresh even after I've sunk 80 hours into it.

I would've liked to see a Witcher 3 that didn't have a epic dramatic main quest and was focused on Geralt wandering around, solving problems in self-contained storylines that each took 5-10 hours to complete. I definitely enjoyed the main storyline, but the Baron's questline and Hearts of Stone stand out to me as the highlights of the game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Oh, and is critical chance what I stack to increase chance of bleed/ burn/ poison or are those separate? Ie will precise blows mean I poison more?

Nope, crit chance is just for extra physical damage with swords.

Bleed, Burn, Poison, Stun, Stagger, Freeze are all independently rolled status effects. Many of them you can get in the form of runes to stick in your weapons.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I legitimately get a lot of enjoyment out of how progressive and fair Geralt and his friends' ethics are, despite mostly being egotists and/or violent fighters who have to contend with fantastical dangers all the time. I think it's cool that you can bring the light of reason to dimwitted peasants, foil corrupt religious officials and nobles, and support sexual and racial equality in a lot of ways (albeit with varying degrees of success), without any cloying or unnatural dialogue since the characters are so deep and well-realized that their opinions seem to come naturally. What a fine game.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

my bony fealty posted:

I finished Hearts of Stone's main quest the other night and oh wow! It was really great. So many cool interesting ideas that kept the game feeling fresh even after I've sunk 80 hours into it.

I would've liked to see a Witcher 3 that didn't have a epic dramatic main quest and was focused on Geralt wandering around, solving problems in self-contained storylines that each took 5-10 hours to complete. I definitely enjoyed the main storyline, but the Baron's questline and Hearts of Stone stand out to me as the highlights of the game.

I would love something to do with Dandelion managing a tavern in swinging Novigrad. It would be a drastically un-Witcher like game, but I think Dandelion is hilarious. I'd also like a game just like W3 but with Ciri. Including the parts where you gently caress women!!!

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Palpek posted:

It would own if you could wear masks and ears at the same time. Maybe there's a mod for that?

If you're a 30 yr old dude who's into playing dress up like I am for some reason, and even though I don't see a mask and/or ears options specifically, there is an appearances mod that's pretty actively added on to by its creator: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/780/

The mod has kind of made me sad because like Woozy said, you learn there's really not much in terms of sexy armour. Only one plate armour and it doesn't even have plate pants. That Skellige one was a DLC release. I usually wear that (it is indeed very sexy), mastercrafted Ursine, a Nilfgaardian outfit (but I hate those checkboard pants), or the mod lets you also have the body of other main characters, and Radovid looks pretty sweet on you or Eskel with the mohawk haircut. It's also occasionally fun dress up as Eredin and then help people solve their problems. And once the mod creator figures out how to make swords always disappear from your back, capes will look sexy as all hell on Skelligeralt.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

If you're playing with an expansion and do absolutely everything you should finish at level 39 - which is just one level short of being able to use the Viper set and many people complained about that.

This is exactly what happened to me, but it only took a bit of dicking around to get to 40. I figured I'd have to go after that level 48 griffin but I hit 40 before I even reached it.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

my bony fealty posted:

They could put out monster-of-the-week fantasy x-files dlc forever and I would play them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pellisworth posted:

Nope, crit chance is just for extra physical damage with swords.

Bleed, Burn, Poison, Stun, Stagger, Freeze are all independently rolled status effects. Many of them you can get in the form of runes to stick in your weapons.

Ahh, OK. So which runes are the typical favorites?

Just hit level 11 last night and rocking the basic Griffin set, the power jump is huge. For the first time I now have more abilities than info buttons, though >_<. Trying to figure out which signs are most useful and its kinda hard given conflicting posts from different patches.