Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

And i can vouch for Heist being loving sweet at any fps
Yeah it's real good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Waltzing Along posted:

Just feel like complaining a bit:

Though I am not a FE fan, I think it is utter bullshit that they are packaging the good version, the one that most people will want, in a special limited edition. That's really hosed up. You can buy the game separated into two carts and then have to pay on top of that for the DLC of you can be one of the lucky few to buy the "special I mean COMPLETE" edition that comes with everything, is on one cart, and is cheaper, too.

Total loving baloney. Great way to mistreat your customers.

You have this completely wrong. If you buy a regular version of the game, either version, you can download the other two campaigns discounted from the eShop. Buying both campaigns on cartridges is absolutely not the way you're supposed to do it. Downloading one campaign from the eShop has the same effect, and- get this, it all adds up to the same price as the special edition! The only thing the special edition nets you is the artbook and the case.

You can still get everything on one cart if you buy a regular physical edition.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So over the last couple months the glossy layer has been peeling off of the sides of my 3DS' bottom cover. It started with just a tiny bit but now its a longer stretch up either side and will leave flecks of shiny stuff on my hands. Has anyone else experienced this? I dunno if I'm holding it weird or what.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Monkey Fracas posted:

I kind of don't like the "use abilities" objectives in Pokémon Picross- I want to just do the puzzles the Way God Intended.

Eh yeah think I'll play it until I hit a paywall and then stop. There's so many other sources of Picross available on the 3DS.
I've just been doing the puzzles without abilities, then doing them again using abilities (or the correct Pokemon or whatever) to get picrites. I don't mind the F2P aspects because to be honest I can't sit down and play Picross for hours anyway, I'd usually only ever do a couple in a row.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

irlZaphod posted:

I've just been doing the puzzles without abilities, then doing them again using abilities (or the correct Pokemon or whatever) to get picrites. I don't mind the F2P aspects because to be honest I can't sit down and play Picross for hours anyway, I'd usually only ever do a couple in a row.

You mean you are not furious about a game that gives you the option to play without paying a single penny if you choose not to? Don't you see how awful a precedent this sets?!?!

I mismanaged my original bounty of picirites so I've been relying on the daily challenges to scrounge up enough to get to the next area. Is it possible to complete that special 20x20 pokemon on S02-05 without special abilities? None of the lines are set up so you could determine how the blocks fall across the whole length, so I have only been able to solve about 1/4 of it before I give up, using the line of 11 as a starting point. I could blow through the regular puzzles up to here with no problem but I don't understand how you're supposed to get the rest on this one without taking a couple of wild guesses.

Also, I still don't understand the Blue Force or whatever ability or how it's supposed to be useful, even after looking up explanations of it. It turns numbers blue but that doesn't really help in determining the gaps between blocks, so...

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 14, 2015

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

raditts posted:

Also, I still don't understand the Blue Force or whatever ability or how it's supposed to be useful, even after looking up explanations of it. It turns numbers blue but that doesn't really help in determining the gaps between blocks, so...
Blue force basically tells you that you can do something on that row or column (whether it's to fill in a single block or an X or what). It's particularly useful after you've filled in something, because it'll then tell you where you can focus next.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

So I'm thinking of purchasing a re-charged New 3ds from gamestop. With all of the spending we do during December, it doesn't hurt to save 20 bucks. Is gamestop's re-charged 3ds' usually alright?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

It's really more the implementation of the energy system that is the problem with Pokemon Picross. It feels gross having time gated by a fabricated meter that you can pay to allow you more freedom to work on puzzles.

I bought the first upgrade with my starter bounty so I could do the larger puzzles, but having completed all the puzzles and most of the challenges, I'm stuck around area seven. To complicate matters, my clock keeps resetting and locking me out of the dailies for days at a time.

Honestly, I'd suggest anyone that wants some Picross and doesn't care about the Pokemon hooks just go pay the $6 for one of the ePicross entries. I'm chewing through the first and I think it will scratch the itch for the time being.

By all means, go free if you have the patience, I didn't.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Do, does Super Mystery Dungeon get hard in the postgame, or something? I guess I'm not super far in (just got the Expedition Gadget, have done like 4 missions from it), and so far the only thing that I had trouble with was a boss fight against a Garchomp who, upon joining my party, was like level 50 to my 15.

He wiped out my whole party except Victini, and proceeded to faint from his burns while I ran like hell.

Other than that, I've had very little of the kind of dickery I normally expect roguelikes to subject me to, like larger parties of monsters that show up while I'm trying to heal, or that kind of thing.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a condemnation of the game. It's all very charming, and you can do some pretty fun combos by swapping your leaders around mid-fight in order to coordinate debuffs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Tomorrow will mark four years since Nintendo released a bunch of GBA games to the 3DS Ambassadors, and at this point I've come to the conclusion that we'll never see GBA or SNES games on 3DS. :sigh:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Do, does Super Mystery Dungeon get hard in the postgame, or something? I guess I'm not super far in (just got the Expedition Gadget, have done like 4 missions from it), and so far the only thing that I had trouble with was a boss fight against a Garchomp who, upon joining my party, was like level 50 to my 15.

He wiped out my whole party except Victini, and proceeded to faint from his burns while I ran like hell.

Other than that, I've had very little of the kind of dickery I normally expect roguelikes to subject me to, like larger parties of monsters that show up while I'm trying to heal, or that kind of thing.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a condemnation of the game. It's all very charming, and you can do some pretty fun combos by swapping your leaders around mid-fight in order to coordinate debuffs.

it is a game for children, it's not really gonna be hard if you have any clue about using items

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Tomorrow will mark four years since Nintendo released a bunch of GBA games to the 3DS Ambassadors, and at this point I've come to the conclusion that we'll never see GBA or SNES games on 3DS. :sigh:

Now that the New 3DS is a thing, they may be able to bring the GBA emulation up to spec. There's still hope.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

GBA ambassador games do not live up to the standards held by Nintendo for virtual console releases, it's running on legacy DS hardware that is able to launch GBA games so there is no home menu running in the background, no sleep mode, no restore points, screen is not as well lit or as crisp

maybe the N3DS could emulate the games as perfectly as Nintendo wants to be able to do but I'm not convinced the 3ds can

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Even if they could get it working right on n3DS, they'd still be alienating users who don't have or want to upgrade. I highly doubt the current install base of the n3DS is large enough to warrant the effort of coding an emulator up to Nintendo's standards and I doubt GBA games on VC is a good enough selling point to convince people to upgrade.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

NofrikinfuN posted:

It's really more the implementation of the energy system that is the problem with Pokemon Picross. It feels gross having time gated by a fabricated meter that you can pay to allow you more freedom to work on puzzles.
How much freedom do you need? The energy metre is only a factor if you're making a lot of mistakes or something.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Congratulations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

jivjov posted:

Just because ye feature is implemented differently than other companies does not mean that it does not exist. The assertion I replied to was that digital purchases were tied exclusively to hardware, which is absolutely false.

Yes, the fact that I had to argue about my lost system's digital games and didn't get ALL of them because I didn't name all of them when I was on hold for 2 hours and listed them off when I was outside a court house is completely reasonable. gently caress that part of Nintendo (I told the dude on the phone basically that and he agreed.)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

minusX posted:

Yes, the fact that I had to argue about my lost system's digital games and didn't get ALL of them because I didn't name all of them when I was on hold for 2 hours and listed them off when I was outside a court house is completely reasonable. gently caress that part of Nintendo (I told the dude on the phone basically that and he agreed.)

Wait, they can't just look at your account and see what you bought? That's insane.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
That's quite literally the only time I've heard of the process not being "hey my old system was _______, my new system is _______, and here's my NNID"

I suggest trying to speak to a higher manager, I think the guy you spoke with was new or something.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

It gets harder. This iteration of PMD is harder than previous ones. It might not pose as much of a challenge to you in particular if you're a roguelike veteran, though. PMD are the only roguelikes I've played, and they kick my rear end quite frequently.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's taken Nintendo even longer just to get proper link cable emulation in the Gameboy virtual console.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

The rear end Stooge posted:

Wait, they can't just look at your account and see what you bought? That's insane.

When I did it I had to: Say the E-mail address it was connected with, I think the NNID if it existed by this point (pretty sure it did), NAME some of the games I owned before (I guess in case it was stolen and they brought stuff idk), then also say the old/new serial. I basically pulled up the Club Nintendo website and looked at everything I had but they missed giving me back my copy of Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins :argh:

jivjov posted:

That's quite literally the only time I've heard of the process not being "hey my old system was _______, my new system is _______, and here's my NNID"

I suggest trying to speak to a higher manager, I think the guy you spoke with was new or something.
The dude was breaking policy because "lost" wasn't allowed at the time. I needed to have a police report for a stolen device and I said "bro it was lost not stolen I don't have the chance to get it from the police please just do this" and he said ok. This was also a year ago. The digital management system STILL sucks and needs to be fixed, please don't defend bad systems.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

How much freedom do you need? The energy metre is only a factor if you're making a lot of mistakes or something.

Sometimes I like doing more than 1-3 puzzles in a row, which isn't possible with the energy bar scheme unless you upgrade. (Which makes it harder to advance to new puzzles, ironically.)

It also punishes mistakes and I have run into situations where I goofed and had to stop halfway through a puzzle for energy. I understand it's the cost of free, it's just that more often than not the implementation is a buzzkill.

Still, I bought ePicross to get my fix, so Pokemon Picross works as a marketing tool.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

pokemon picross is bogged down by gross feeling F2P elements that don't entirely go away even if you pay for it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The rear end Stooge posted:

Of course they can. Before the NNID was implemented and I lost the 3DS I had , I just told them the serial number off the 3DS and they were able to tell everything that was on it. I may have had to tell them the last four of the credit card I used to buy stuff on it, I can't remember.
After the NNID was implemented, when my kid broke his 2DS I called and told them his NNID, the old 2DS serial, and the new one and they did the transfer right as I was on the phone with them.

Nintendo does a lot of backwards last-century poo poo, but of all the things to complain about, their customer service is absolutely not one of them.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Sometimes I like doing more than 1-3 puzzles in a row, which isn't possible with the energy bar scheme unless you upgrade. (Which makes it harder to advance to new puzzles, ironically.)

It also punishes mistakes and I have run into situations where I goofed and had to stop halfway through a puzzle for energy. I understand it's the cost of free, it's just that more often than not the implementation is a buzzkill.

Still, I bought ePicross to get my fix, so Pokemon Picross works as a marketing tool.

You clearly have no issue with buying things, so just buy the upgrade that makes energy unlimited.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 14, 2015

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

raditts posted:

Nintendo does a lot of backwards last-century poo poo, but of all the things to complain about, their customer service is absolutely not one of them.
This is why I bother to deal with them, years ago my girlfriend got my hand-me-down DS when I upgraded that was under warranty but did physical damage to it. Because it was still under warranty they cut the cost or repair in half even though it wasn't covered. It might've been a lovely system they helped me out with when I lost my 3DS, but they do their best.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

minusX posted:

When I did it I had to: Say the E-mail address it was connected with, I think the NNID if it existed by this point (pretty sure it did), NAME some of the games I owned before (I guess in case it was stolen and they brought stuff idk), then also say the old/new serial. I basically pulled up the Club Nintendo website and looked at everything I had but they missed giving me back my copy of Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins :argh:
The dude was breaking policy because "lost" wasn't allowed at the time. I needed to have a police report for a stolen device and I said "bro it was lost not stolen I don't have the chance to get it from the police please just do this" and he said ok. This was also a year ago. The digital management system STILL sucks and needs to be fixed, please don't defend bad systems.
It's not perfect, and I'm sure it's a pain having to call them up to transfer things, but there's no chance of you losing everything. The people who come out with "Don't go digital until there's a proper account system" are still dumb though. For the majority of people who don't lose $200+ video game machines it's perfectly fine.

Some things would be nice like family accounts and that.

Also I think their customer service must be better in the US because the 1 dealing with them which I've had here was a bloody nightmare.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked Dream Team. I never finished it, I got to the endgame where there was gonna be a big fetch quest so I can go fight the big bad guy.

I liked the aesthetic, the dialog was charming, and the fights were actually challenging. I got my rear end kicked from about the second major area onwards and you can't just steamroll the game without much effort. The dream abilities looked cool, and I dug that Luigi got a lot of focus. Luigi's characterization is amusing.

The game's chatty, yeah, and it likes to slow poo poo down for no real reason, but it's a lot lot LOT better than Partners in Time, which was my first and only Mario and Luigi game up until that point and I found that a tedious mess and didn't like the controls.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

To be fair, Partners in Time is the worst Mario RPG that's actually an RPG (so not counting Super Paper Mario or Sticker Star), so DT being better isn't much of an accomplishment. DT deserves a lot more love for actually giving Luigi the respect he deserves. :colbert: It's way better than the poo poo PiT constantly puts him through.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is the Fantasy Life DLC something I want to purchase before I start playing or what?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

Is the Fantasy Life DLC something I want to purchase before I start playing or what?

It unlocks some extra player customization options from the word go. You also get access to two more types of pets, one of which you can't get until late game.

So... it's not totally necessary, I guess, but if you plan on getting it you might as well get it now. It's well worth the price!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

luigi doesn't deserve poo poo

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i picked up bowsers inside story ill let u guys know how it is

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

voltcatfish posted:

You can't level up your partners without it if I recall

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

i picked up bowsers inside story ill let u guys know how it is

We already know how it is: Fantastic.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So how much more content does Theatrythm Curtain Call have than the first one? I was thinking of getting a new rhythm game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is Xenoblade Chronicles on 3DS worthwhile, or am i better off doing the wii u download?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

So how much more content does Theatrythm Curtain Call have than the first one? I was thinking of getting a new rhythm game.

It contains every song from the first game, all of the first game's DLC (except "Somnus" from Final Fantasy Versus XIII/Final Fantasy XV), and a bunch more songs than that.

So, a lot.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Loads. Something like 77 pieces in the first and over 200 in the sequel. Also another 52 via DLC for $1 each. At least 10 of those are must-buys.

Don't even think - just buy it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

majormonotone posted:

It contains every song from the first game, all of the first game's DLC (except "Somnus" from Final Fantasy Versus XIII/Final Fantasy XV), and a bunch more songs than that.

So, a lot.

So, to clarify, all the first game's DLC is included on the cart? Because I never bought any of it so that would make it a sure buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

So, to clarify, all the first game's DLC is included on the cart? Because I never bought any of it so that would make it a sure buy.

Yes. Everything from the first game is in Curtain Call (except the aforementioned Somnus).