Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AgrippaNothing posted:

Yeah, I overnighted there on the way from MNL to DPS, Uber worked just fine. I was more concerned about traffic snags so skyway subway is better?

Things to do? A river tour/dinner cruise? Temple? Someplace to pic up a nice piece of art memento (max 300-500USD). Gardens? Bonus if anyone knows a non seedy gay bar to meet locals and where I'm not going to get solicited exclusively. I'm handsome, just under forty, and as you know, I dress well. I can have fun without shelling out dollars.

I'm not much of a bar dude so I can't help very much there. If you want to watch the trainwrecks in progress at night in Nana Entertainment Center then Big Dogs right by the entrance is a good vantage point; you can sit with a drink and not get hassled by the bar girls too much.

The Sri Maha Mariamman Temple on Silom Rd is impressive. Snake milking at Queen Saowapha Memorial Institute is neat to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I wimped out and did a carry on instead of trying to get Delta to pass luggage through AirAsia. Glad I did, 6 hours of sleep in SIN was worth it.

I think AirAsia smuggled me out of Singapore though. I strolled up to the gate security 10 minutes before boarding and got confused looks that I didn't have a paper boarding card yet. Apparently even without luggage you are supposed to through customs and back in which wasn't clear given they let everyone back into the transit area immediately after landing. A phone call to a supervisor later and the agent wrote me a hand written boarding card and we took off. A+ Customer Service (I'm going to prison when I go back in 4 days aren't I)

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness
Need some advice goons. I booked a "red eye" from HKG to ICN later this month. I fly out on Asiana @ 1:30am and land in ICN around 5am. I have a hotel booked for that night, but I know I'm going to be dead rear end tired when I land in ICN (and definitely cannot check in that early). What are my options in terms of getting a little additional shut eye when I land? I was thinking about paying $25 for access to the Asiana lounge, but they say on the website that the lounge is only for passengers on outbound flights.

What are my other options? Sleep on an airport bench hobo style?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sink the biz posted:

Need some advice goons. I booked a "red eye" from HKG to ICN later this month. I fly out on Asiana @ 1:30am and land in ICN around 5am. I have a hotel booked for that night, but I know I'm going to be dead rear end tired when I land in ICN (and definitely cannot check in that early). What are my options in terms of getting a little additional shut eye when I land? I was thinking about paying $25 for access to the Asiana lounge, but they say on the website that the lounge is only for passengers on outbound flights.

What are my other options? Sleep on an airport bench hobo style?

Contact the hotel directly. You can check in that late most places if you reserve the night (so this would be reserve for the night you're flying) and give them a credit card. Yeah, you'll be paying for a few hours of hotel room you're not using, but it's worth $80 to me to take a shower and not have to stumble around an airport in a sleepy haze looking for somewhere to nap.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's also a Jiljimbang - Korean style Sauna and hot bath. Pretty comfortable, or hang out with some Seoul Goons. Seoul is Prime Goon Asian city

AgrippaNothing posted:

Yeah, I overnighted there on the way from MNL to DPS, Uber worked just fine. I was more concerned about traffic snags so skyway subway is better?

Things to do? A river tour/dinner cruise? Temple? Someplace to pic up a nice piece of art memento (max 300-500USD). Gardens? Bonus if anyone knows a non seedy gay bar to meet locals and where I'm not going to get solicited exclusively. I'm handsome, just under forty, and as you know, I dress well. I can have fun without shelling out dollars.

If you wear a proper suit then I will give you all my attention :gay:

If you want to meet locals there's always couch surfing, there's a fair amount of gay dudes cruising. Check out the SEA tourist and travel thread

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

Contact the hotel directly. You can check in that late most places if you reserve the night (so this would be reserve for the night you're flying) and give them a credit card. Yeah, you'll be paying for a few hours of hotel room you're not using, but it's worth $80 to me to take a shower and not have to stumble around an airport in a sleepy haze looking for somewhere to nap.

Sometimes it works out for you. If you're staying in Seoul, you won't get there till like 7am anyway and if the hotel's not booked up, they'll let you check in in my experience anyway.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

I wimped out and did a carry on instead of trying to get Delta to pass luggage through AirAsia. Glad I did, 6 hours of sleep in SIN was worth it.

I think AirAsia smuggled me out of Singapore though. I strolled up to the gate security 10 minutes before boarding and got confused looks that I didn't have a paper boarding card yet. Apparently even without luggage you are supposed to through customs and back in which wasn't clear given they let everyone back into the transit area immediately after landing. A phone call to a supervisor later and the agent wrote me a hand written boarding card and we took off. A+ Customer Service (I'm going to prison when I go back in 4 days aren't I)

You don't have to go through customs, but at the terminal junction there is a transit desk you have to check in at and get your new boarding passes.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

DJCobol posted:

You don't have to go through customs, but at the terminal junction there is a transit desk you have to check in at and get your new boarding passes.

Ah, the gate agent said everyone coming in was required to enter Singapore and pass through customs (made to me at the time sense given draconian drug laws). I assumed the scannable boarding pass they gave me was good to go but they said that was just for scanning at the transit deck. Efficiency!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

Ah, the gate agent said everyone coming in was required to enter Singapore and pass through customs (made to me at the time sense given draconian drug laws). I assumed the scannable boarding pass they gave me was good to go but they said that was just for scanning at the transit deck. Efficiency!

If you are just connecting in SIN you never have to leave airside. I did the same as you staying in the T1 transit hotel and when I woke up I just swung by the transit desk for my new boarding passes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If it was day time I would have totally gone outside for a nice meal and eat some durians

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
What are the reasonable routes to book business class awards with Delta? I've tried booking twice with Skypesos-- once to SE Asia and once to Buenos Aires-- and both times its been a stupid amount so I booked United and AA awards respectively.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

What are the reasonable routes to book business class awards with Delta? I've tried booking twice with Skypesos-- once to SE Asia and once to Buenos Aires-- and both times its been a stupid amount so I booked United and AA awards respectively.

Just one ticket? I didn't have any trouble finding low tier back when there were published tiers. Finding two was impossible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blinkman987 posted:

If you are flexible with your dates the one good thing that Delta hasn't removed from their website is the ability to look at availability for entire months at a time when you are booking with miles. Just check "flexible days" and then go to the 5 week calendar view.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress dragon air for charging Cathay pricing but having constant delays.

HKIA Blows when it comes to being on time.

Oh and safe flight air. Have fun in LA

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
AA has been treating me quite poorly as EP. I think they know their non high-value fliers. Agents are following ticket rules to a T and finding all kinds of nonsense to reject your requests. It's been night and day compared to Delta. AA feels like UA right now.

Since I've burned all my AA miles on upcoming luxe flights, I will likely move all my flying to Delta.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What are you trying to do?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Arzakon posted:

Just one ticket? I didn't have any trouble finding low tier back when there were published tiers. Finding two was impossible.

Yeah, just one. It appears people took the single seat that is offered at the single tier, and it's not like I can book multiple flights and then take the one I want due to the rebooking fee.

Thoguh posted:

If you are flexible with your dates the one good thing that Delta hasn't removed from their website is the ability to look at availability for entire months at a time when you are booking with miles. Just check "flexible days" and then go to the 5 week calendar view.

Good reminder. Thanks!

AdrenalinG posted:

AA has been treating me quite poorly as EP. I think they know their non high-value fliers. Agents are following ticket rules to a T and finding all kinds of nonsense to reject your requests. It's been night and day compared to Delta. AA feels like UA right now.

Since I've burned all my AA miles on upcoming luxe flights, I will likely move all my flying to Delta.

AA directly copying Delta's mileage earning multipliers is so lazy that I think that alone does a ton of work exposing the industry as a cartel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AdrenalinG posted:

How are you an EP and low value?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How are you an EP and low value?

You can get top tier status without spending a lot of money. It costs quite a bit to provide all the benefits that status entails and without the revenue from the customer, that's a losing proposition for the airline. This is why DL and UA both have spend qualifiers ($12,000 annual spend not including taxes for top tier). AA doesn't have spend requirements for 2016 but we'll see after that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I gotta say to reach exp this year you're not really low value. It's not like 2012 where there were 2x eqms promos on 300 round trip transcons.

I mean maybe there were some ways to game it but feels like it's not nearly as easy as it was.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

sellouts posted:

I gotta say to reach exp this year you're not really low value. It's not like 2012 where there were 2x eqms promos on 300 round trip transcons.

Any trip to Southeast Asia is practically gaming the system. 20K+ miles for under $1K a few times a year for work was the only reason I kept Delta status.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

On American, which I think he's talking about as EXP? That's over 6 RTs DFW - HKG.

I mean back with 2x EQM you could get it for ~3-4k if you really wanted to try / game the system.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

You can get top tier status without spending a lot of money. It costs quite a bit to provide all the benefits that status entails and without the revenue from the customer, that's a losing proposition for the airline. This is why DL and UA both have spend qualifiers ($12,000 annual spend not including taxes for top tier). AA doesn't have spend requirements for 2016 but we'll see after that.

It's just surprising to me in that I absolutely destroy the spend caps and I'm all discounted Y fare classes.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Anyone notice Delta breaking out Sky Priority boarding into separate Platinum/Gold boarding zones because of "a lot of medallions". Happened on 3 of my 4 this week. Guess that spend requirement didn't thin the herd as much.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

Anyone notice Delta breaking out Sky Priority boarding into separate Platinum/Gold boarding zones because of "a lot of medallions". Happened on 3 of my 4 this week. Guess that spend requirement didn't thin the herd as much.

I've only seen it once at JFK on my flight to NRT.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Arzakon posted:

This is also the time of year with the peak number of people with status. You have everybody who earned it last year plus everybody who earned it this year. It'll drop off on February 1st.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's just surprising to me in that I absolutely destroy the spend caps and I'm all discounted Y fare classes.

Indeed, the system really doesn't affect people who simply do a shitload of travel.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Does anyone have experience with ANA cube suite C? I'm shuffling fights about to get something nice even tho it would mean going down to IAH or LAX to catch a 3 class 773er.

I've done ANA J and was really impressed with the service but it looks kinda like the first class ground service is a little wanting. No PA/being whisked away to the lounge or your connection, no spa? ...maybe I'm spoiled by LH and TG first?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

Indeed, the system really doesn't affect people who simply do a shitload of travel.

It does kill rollover though, at least for me. My tickets tend to more or less match the spend needed for my MQDs to hit the threshold for each level at about the same time my MQMs do. This year I'll roll over 31k miles so I should hit the 75k miles for platinum by midyear, but I won't hit the MQDs until late in the year, if at all.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm joining a strat consultancy soon (an MBB) and expect to be spending 50% of my time abroad. Are there any basic business travel tips I should be aware of?

To give you an indication of how clueless I am, I used to work in finance and spent half a year shuttling between the west and asia on first class without subscribing to a mileage program.

Is there anything major to do beyond joining a mileage program? What's the conversion ratio typically like? I.e. How much would i need to fly to get xyz miles free?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Global Entry. Get it asap.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Slinked over Platinum on AA for the year, do I get my full bonus miles on the qualifying flight? Thats worth 6k to me.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FunOne posted:

Slinked over Platinum on AA for the year, do I get my full bonus miles on the qualifying flight? Thats worth 6k to me.
You should. I did.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

shrike82 posted:

I'm joining a strat consultancy soon (an MBB) and expect to be spending 50% of my time abroad. Are there any basic business travel tips I should be aware of?

To give you an indication of how clueless I am, I used to work in finance and spent half a year shuttling between the west and asia on first class without subscribing to a mileage program.

Is there anything major to do beyond joining a mileage program? What's the conversion ratio typically like? I.e. How much would i need to fly to get xyz miles free?

Push as much of your travel as possible to a single high service alliance that covers your usual markets.

Global Entry.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Get a second of everything in your bathroom bag (razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, nail clippers, bottle of tylenol, etc) so you don't have to take stuff in and out of your travel bag and can leave the home set at home.

Also try to get your former coworkers to suck less dick on travel accounting now that the shoe's on the other foot.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(

shrike82 posted:

Sign up for airline and hotel branded credit cards for whatever you will be using. They have major sign up bonuses for new customers. Don't be afraid to churn cards some to hit a lot of new bonuses over the course of a few years.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Also since you'll be abroad, make sure to get a personal credit card with no foreign exchange fees.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

On top of that, open a Schwab checking account just in case you need to use ATM's abroad. The fees get reimbursed at the end of every month.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I have a HSBC Premier banking account so I'm covered on banking globally. I get a corporate credit card as well - is there any point in getting a specific personal one if that's the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
Most corporate credit cards aren't supposed to be used for personal purchases. So if you buy gifts for people or whatnot, you'd want a personal credit card without foreign transaction fees. Also, points. Get on the points train.