Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that the same as the one Wikipedia lists as Ike & Tina Turner and the Raelettes from 1966?

They have a weird discography which is difficult to keep track of. From what I can see, both of the Ike & Tina Turner Show live albums were re-released with more distinct names on different labels (according to Wikipedia), while according to Discogs they had an album called Get It - Get It on an ultra-obscure label called Cenco in 1966 or 1967 (which may not even have been released even though it seems that cover art was produced) which was then re-released as Her Man, His Woman in 1971.

Also, going by Wikipedia - five albums in one year. Not quite as prolific as jazz musicians, but still - a different time indeed.

Disappointed that In Person seems to be out of print. I like the look of its track listing.

Mine doesn't seem to have a date anywhere on the sleeve, but yeah, they're the same. 1966 on the Tangerine lable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Where should I start with Psychic TV?

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
force the hand of chance, dreams less sweet and allegory and self are my favorites. The last is probably the most "pop" of the three though plenty of experimental noisey parts. all great in their own way. if you want to get into their live stuff (which makes their discography daunting) someone else might need to help you. havent gotten into the 90s- material either.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Blue, Pinkerton, and EWBAITE are the only Weezer albums I need to check out, right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Green is worth a shot if you really dig what you hear.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seconding Green after Blue and Pinkerton.

Blue and Pink are basically untouchable, but Green is fun for two related reasons - When Pinkerton flopped commercially and the band went quiet for a bit, Rivers Cuomo basically came back and went "Well, I wrote an album all about the crazy poo poo in my head, and you thought it was poo poo. NOW YOU GET A RECORD OF LITERALLY NO SUBSTANCE." And so Green is 28 and a half minutes of super-hooky power-pop. It's great and it's trolly as gently caress.

e: Dope Nose was a great single, but that's as far as my Weezer fandom goes past Green.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, after Blue/Pinkerton/Green there wasn't really anything left of Weezer that I enjoyed. I tried but nope.

It still blows my mind that people hated Pinkerton so much. It was one of my favorite albums of the 90s.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Also, this is one I'm pretty sketchy about, but I did like one song (FCP Remix) ...where would one start with The Fall of Troy?

e: also heard the original version of that song, FCPSITSGEPGEP, still good but not as good as the remix I think. Granted, it doesn't sound so much like a remix, more like a remake.

e2: lmao... does that really stand for "gently caress condoms, premarital sex is the poo poo, get 'er pregnant get 'er pregnant" ?

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 24, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fenrir posted:

Yeah, after Blue/Pinkerton/Green there wasn't really anything left of Weezer that I enjoyed. I tried but nope.

It still blows my mind that people hated Pinkerton so much. It was one of my favorite albums of the 90s.

The Man Pain gets to be a bit much by the end, but since it's basically journal entries set to music, it's understandable.

The first Rentals album ("Return of...") is the real follow-up to the Blue Album, incidentally.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

After The War posted:

The first Rentals album ("Return of...") is the real follow-up to the Blue Album, incidentally.

Also "Rock and Roll Part Three" by Ozma is pretty much the lost 3rd good Weezer album

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Also, this is one I'm pretty sketchy about, but I did like one song (FCP Remix) ...where would one start with The Fall of Troy?

e: also heard the original version of that song, FCPSITSGEPGEP, still good but not as good as the remix I think. Granted, it doesn't sound so much like a remix, more like a remake.

e2: lmao... does that really stand for "gently caress condoms, premarital sex is the poo poo, get 'er pregnant get 'er pregnant" ?

Doppelganger. After that, the s/t, though the best songs on it were rerecorded for Doppelganger

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Doppelganger. After that, the s/t, though the best songs on it were rerecorded for Doppelganger

Thanks, will try those.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Thanks for the Weezer recommendations guys. I gave Blue, Pinkerton, Green, and EWBAITE a listen and honestly I like EWBAITE the most out of all of them.

Blue and Pinkerton are easily their best works, but I like the diversity of EWBAITE and it was the most fun to listen to from beginning to end even if the overall song quality is lower than their first albums. EWBAITE is worth recommending to anyone trying to get into Weezer.

firstyear
Sep 9, 2009
After All Hail West Texas, which are the best boombox-era Mountain Goats records?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

firstyear posted:

After All Hail West Texas, which are the best boombox-era Mountain Goats records?

If you mean prior-to...then Sweden.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Also Nothing For Juice and Nine Black Poppies.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

At this rate, we could list almost all of them, my suggestion would be The Coroner's Gambit.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
the correct Answer is Full Force Galesburg, trust on this. Followed by the coroner's gambit, then sweden, then nine black poppies, then zopilote machine, then nothing for juice. The tape releases are good too. Also the EPs like Isopopinasid Radio Hour.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 20, 2015

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with Flying Lotus? I heard something by him recently and think that I can get into him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

He switches gears a lot. You're Dead has some real tits soul vibes going, while Cosmogramma has a weird alien sci-fi feel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

screenwritersblues posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with Flying Lotus? I heard something by him recently and think that I can get into him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAzCJINGWGM

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I'm sure these have been asked before but I skimmed around/screwed with search and didn't find what I was looking for, so...

Where do I start with:

Current 93
Coil
Sun City Girls

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Oliver Reed posted:

I'm sure these have been asked before but I skimmed around/screwed with search and didn't find what I was looking for, so...

Where do I start with:

Current 93
Coil
Sun City Girls

With C93 it depends on what you want to hear. His early material is industrial soundscape stuff, it's cool but probably not a good place to start unless you're already into 80s industrial. In the late 80s he shifts to folk with acoustic guitars, this is the period he's best known for I guess. The 'best' record from this period is probably Thunder Perfect Mind, although it is quite long, Of Ruin or Some Blazing Starre might be a better place to start, the Inmost Light trilogy might also work, they're all pretty good. His recent work has been more varied in sound, but Sleep Has His House and Black Ships Ate the Sky are both great. There's a sideproject called Myrninerest that is also very good. Part of the fun of his discography is exploring around and seeing what you like.

Coil explored a lot of different sounds and there's probably something for almost everyone in their discography, but you may not like everything they did, so where to start depends on what you like. For the early material Horse Rotorvator is a good one. If you're a dance music guy then Love's Secret domain might be cool, if you like drone then Time Machines is essential, and their last album The Ape of Naples is excellent and more song oriented than a lot of mid period albums if you're coming from a rock background.

Torch of the Mystics is probably the best SCG album to start with just because it's the most musical and also one of their best. Their last album Funeral Mariachi is also pretty accessible, and if you think you really like them you could try 330,003 Crossdressers.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I am certain that this has been asked before, but the subject is overwhelming to me. But where do I start with modern jazz? Went to some clubs that presented themselves as "modern jazz" when in Moscow and really enjoyed it, but I've been having problems finding something similar in the States.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Citizen Rat posted:

I am certain that this has been asked before, but the subject is overwhelming to me. But where do I start with modern jazz? Went to some clubs that presented themselves as "modern jazz" when in Moscow and really enjoyed it, but I've been having problems finding something similar in the States.
My favorite album of the year, Kamasi Washington's The Epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtQRBzSN9Vw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NFS8WXfCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DM9fGXHhlk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIRAXOB68vE

Aside from that, I'm not really sure and I'd like more suggestions myself. But this thing is 3 discs, so it should hold you over at least for a little while.

Trombone Shorty's got some good stuff too. I don't know if he counts as modern jazz though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgMGuEf87Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzByl_lUOXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gp-4UllQok

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 15, 2015

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aside from that, I'm not really sure and I'd like more suggestions myself. But this thing is 3 discs, so it should hold you over at least for a little while.

Thank you so much! I have absolutely no idea where to start and looking up information on jazz is just too much information for me to process. It also seems like people have a lot of very strong opinions on the subject and I have no way to sort noise from signal.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Citizen Rat posted:

The biggest push I had with jazz was the 100 Best of Blue Note collection. It's 100 songs of different types of Jazz, concentrating on the greats, and is wonderfully balanced with Classic and Modern. You can find the list with a quick Google search.

AllMusic is has some helpful lists, and Spotify has curated Jazz playlists that are great and concentrate on any sub-genre you can think of.

The trick is to just dive in and listen. I like compilations because I will always find at least one piece that really hits home with me.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Citizen Rat posted:

Stock recommendations for post-bop, which is what the orthodoxy is usually talking about when it refers to itself as "modern jazz", are Miles Davis's albums between ESP and Nefertiti/Sorcerer, Coltrane's albums between Giant Steps and A Love Supreme, and Bill Evans' albums up until 1964 or so.

Then branch out into other sessions that the dudes from those albums played on and continue following connections from there.

If that's not the aesthetic you heard and liked, you might be talking about free jazz, old jazz/rock fusion of the mostly good kind, slightly later cheesy R&B/jazz fusion (mid-70s to 80s stuff), or more recent fusion like the super cornball M-Base type stuff, but no way of knowing without more detailed examples.

funkcroquet fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 15, 2015

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

funkcroquet posted:

Stock recommendations for post-bop, which is what the orthodoxy is usually talking about when it refers to itself as "modern jazz", are Miles Davis's albums between ESP and Nefertiti/Sorcerer, Coltrane's albums between Giant Steps and A Love Supreme, and Bill Evans' albums up until 1964 or so.

Then branch out into other sessions that the dudes from those albums played on and continue following connections from there.

If that's not the aesthetic you heard and liked, you might be talking about free jazz, old jazz/rock fusion of the mostly good kind, slightly later cheesy R&B/jazz fusion (mid-70s to 80s stuff), or more recent fusion like the super cornball M-Base type stuff, but no way of knowing without more detailed examples.

I was listening to songwriter called Maria Chaikovskaya (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qQZH-LrSLA) who was billed as a jazz singer. Looking through some of the spotify playlists (thank you Franchescanado for the suggestion!) I think she might be considered a type of fusion?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the recommendation thread a couple of weeks back, I mentioned that I'm into 2 Tone and mod revival stuff and asked if anyone had any recommendations for American power pop type stuff from the same period, but there haven't been any replies in the meantime. :shobon:

So, I'd be keen to ask if anyone has any ideas about where I should start with that. I'm only really familiar with the Pretenders' first album.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 28, 2015

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the recommendation thread a couple of weeks back, I mentioned that I'm into 2 Tone and mod revival stuff and asked if anyone had any recommendations for American power pop type stuff from the same period, but there haven't been any replies in the meantime. :shobon:

So, I'd be keen to ask if anyone has any ideas about where I should start with that. I'm only really familiar with the Pretenders' first album.

Have you tried Big Star? Nick Lowe is another one to try.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Brett's Power Pop Primer

Big Star - #1 Record / Radio City
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?
Cheap Trick - At Budokan
Badfinger - Wish You Were Here
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action
Marshall Crenshaw - Marshall Crenshaw

Some of this goes a little later than that period, but these are basically all amazing albums.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Blast Fantasto posted:

Brett's Power Pop Primer

Big Star - #1 Record / Radio City
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?
Cheap Trick - At Budokan
Badfinger - Wish You Were Here
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action
Marshall Crenshaw - Marshall Crenshaw

Some of this goes a little later than that period, but these are basically all amazing albums.

The Cars' self-titled debut is also prime power pop, albeit from the late 70s (their later albums all skew increasingly toward new wave). Otherwise that list is excellent.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks, I'll try some of those out.

Can I ask about the Knack? They seem like a storied bunch. A real "here today, gone tomorrow" group. How about the Paul Collins Beat? I'm a fan of the English Beat.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thanks, I'll try some of those out.

Can I ask about the Knack? They seem like a storied bunch. A real "here today, gone tomorrow" group. How about the Paul Collins Beat? I'm a fan of the English Beat.

The Knack's first album is definitely pretty good with a lot of good hooks. Although, ironically enough, the digital version uses the censored tapes that removes a drug reference on the album (they sing a different lyric somewhere).

I'm not sure about Paul Collins Beat, but the English Beat is pretty firmly a ska band, so they're not really comparable.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seconding Blast Fantasto on Cheap Trick. Their first album is incredible, very smart meta-pop with dark lyrics and great hooks. It's also the record freest of dated production cheese - with the exception of Cheap Trick at Budokan. The two-disc reissue is great, and lets you hear the first three albums in a straight-ahead rock setting. The reissues for those are decent as well, but I end up preferring the demo versions included as a bonus over the final product - like this fantastic, r-rolling early version of "Surrender" with the original lyrics.

If deconstruction is something you're into, there's always Devo. Once you get past the "clever rear end in a top hat" schtick (worst on the first record), there's a very capable pop band working there. Duty Now For the Future in particular, gets overlooked in favor of the more well-known Devo, but they sound more like a band here, actually performing songs instead of a performance gimmick. Freedom of Choice is hit-laden and fun to listen to, but by this point they come across like savvy professionals making a record to be hit-laden and fun to listen to, rather than kids having fun taking everything apart.

One of the things about powerpop here is how it got so entwined with the various regional punk movements, so it's a matter of how far down that road you want to go. The best unabashedly powerpop band to come out of this scene is the Fastbacks, whose dancy rhythms and occasional horns should click pretty easily with a 2 Tone fan.

(man, I'd forgotten how great that last song was)

Wheat Loaf posted:

Whether deserved or not, the Knack were pretty reviled in certain circles for being a calculated, cleaned-up, cash-in version of the sound a lot of other bands had been working on for years (the "Knuke the Knack" campaign). As such, even though they were gazillion-sellers, they didn't have a fan base to fall back on when the general public moved on. Here's an article about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Great stuff, thanks very much. I'm never sure about Cheap Trick because I have a little familiarity with them, but only their arena rock phase with "The Fire" and so on. I realise that's not an especially well-regarded part of their career. Thanks also for the Knack article, which I will enjoy reading.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, thirding early Cheap Trick. If a dude can't groove on He's A Whore, that dude is missing out.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There's a bootleg of Cheap Trick's second album In Color re-recorded with Steve Albini that's pretty good since Tom Werman butchered that album but the '77 self-titled and At Budokan are more than enough to get you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
How about Bauhaus? I've always liked songs like Third Uncle and Bela Lugosi's Dead but I never really know where to start with them.