Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I love how much J.J likes the Beastie Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
As a long time Trek fan, I am looking forward to this movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Hey relax you doubters, it's gonna be good. Think back to the old Odds and Evens rule of Star Trek movies. We had Insurrection (bad) ---> Galaxy Quest (great) ---> Nemesis (horrible) ---> Star Trek 09 (fun) ---> Star Trek Into Darkness (what the Japanese call holliboru) ----> THIS. Unless you can name a Star Trek related thing that might disrupt the sequence I think it's a lock.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Harime Nui posted:

Hey relax you doubters, it's gonna be good. Think back to the old Odds and Evens rule of Star Trek movies. We had Insurrection (bad) ---> Galaxy Quest (great) ---> Nemesis (horrible) ---> Star Trek 09 (fun) ---> Star Trek Into Darkness (what the Japanese call holliboru) ----> THIS. Unless you can name a Star Trek related thing that might disrupt the sequence I think it's a lock.

the force awakens

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I had a friend just declare "both the Abrams movies are worse than Nemesis." It's like dude. Dude. Really think about that. Really think about that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Into Darkness was voted the worst Star Trek film ever made by a bunch of nerds at a Trek Convention.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

What's that one between Galaxy Quest and 09? I don't think I've heard of it before.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I loved the literal Dirtbike. They didn't even try to space it up. This movie is going to rule.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It stars Tom Hardy as a skinny bald meek dude and Data explodes or something. I saw it in the theater with my Dad and I hated it. Every TNG movie was hell for me.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Drink-Mix Man posted:

the force awakens

Gonna blow, counterbalanced by William Shatner's excellent documentary The Captains; ho ho I got dis

CelticPredator posted:

Into Darkness was voted the worst Star Trek film ever made by a bunch of nerds at a Trek Convention.

I guarantee you like 75% of those hypocritical motherfuckers will rewatch either Abrams movie before sitting through Star Trek Generations again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I honestly, truly doubt it. They seem weird enough that they'd watch Generations out of spite for the Abrams movies.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
How deep are we gonna get into this because you could argue the DVD release with commentary by Johnathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis totally pushes Insurrection into greatness. "What is this? I don't remember this." "We shot this together, Marina! You're right there!" "I was probably thinking about the Manchester game."

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How did Into Darkness "end spaceships"?

Also, the worst thing about Into Darkness was by far the title. The rest was mostly decent.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Remember when we first heard that Abrams was done back in 2013 and everybody was like "give it to Frakes! It's gonna be Frakes! Bring us the man who made Clockstoppers!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cingulate posted:

Also, the worst thing about Into Darkness was by far the title. The rest was mostly decent.

Trekking Into Darkness makes more sense than Trekking Beyond.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Into Darkness had interplanetary teleportation.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what the PC issue will be this time? "Let's cast a Korean to replace a Japanese guy", "Let's cast a British guy to replace a Mexican/Singh"/Alice Eve in underpants, ..-?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Actually disappointed about the third thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Supercar Gautier posted:

Which can easily be hand waved in most situations the crew will be in.

For example: you can teleport a dude across planets, but if you want backup it's going to take a while.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If only Shatner had been allowed to write his own dialogue ending with "....bridge.... on the captain..." Generations woulda been saved

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's unstable technology, like transwarp. In eternal beta. That's the implicit headcanon. No need to make as much of a thing out of it as saying "WE'LL JUST IGNORE IT". Also a ship is more than a way to ferry people. For example, it's pretty

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cingulate posted:

A little something called Transwarp teleportation care of a certain Montgomery Scott.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We can teleport people between countries now but we still use planes and boats.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

We can teleport people between countries now but we still use planes and boats.

Yeah, if anything people should be bitching about why they didn't just use teleporters to get people up to the space station in ST09 (or to the academy, or etc).

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Cingulate posted:

It's unstable technology, like transwarp. In eternal beta. That's the implicit headcanon. No need to make as much of a thing out of it as saying "WE'LL JUST IGNORE IT". Also a ship is more than a way to ferry people. For example, it's pretty

Lmao at you trying to make out Lin telling a film blogger they're just going to ignore it as him issuing a press release and putting it on the poster

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I know it's not the point of Star Trek but I'm super mad that it looks like the Enterprise is going to get it's rear end kicked yet again. I just want to see it shoot stuff and blow up another ship okay? This is supposed to be the flagship of starfleet and everyone has made it look like a chump.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Harime Nui posted:

Remember when we first heard that Abrams was done back in 2013 and everybody was like "give it to Frakes! It's gonna be Frakes! Bring us the man who made Clockstoppers!"

I remember when I was fifteen and one review said "Clockstoppers is This Generation's Back to the Future!!" and I just said, "No, gently caress you, Back to the Future is every generation's Back to the Future."

That said, I still like First Contact and about half of Insurrection.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Enterprise is the new Worf. It's main purpose is to get the poo poo kicked out of it to drive home how badass the villain of the weekyear is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pops Mgee posted:

I know it's not the point of Star Trek but I'm super mad that it looks like the Enterprise is going to get it's rear end kicked yet again. I just want to see it shoot stuff and blow up another ship okay? This is supposed to be the flagship of starfleet and everyone has made it look like a chump.

In fairness, by everyone you mean a ship with 200 years of additional technology and a ship built by the Space CIA to be the real best ship ever.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I could not stop laughing at the trailer.

It's like they're trying to bury the franchise. Slow-mo jumps from moving objects, explosions that toss people into the air, extreme sport stunts, and holy poo poo.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pops Mgee posted:

It's just so old.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pops Mgee posted:

The Enterprise gets its poo poo kicked in in two of the movies generally regarded to be among the better entries in the franchise.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pops Mgee posted:

The Enterprise only gets its rear end kicked when it's at a disadvantage.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

The Enterprise gets its poo poo kicked in in two of the movies generally regarded to be among the better entries in the franchise.
They should make another movie with whales, and one more with Khan. Right?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thought the trailer looked pretty bad. If it wasn't labeled Star Trek, it'd look like a generic rip off of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
wake me up when the villain is mudd

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Pops Mgee posted:

Naval battles in space is a huge part of Star Trek though. So yeah, it would be nice for it actually fire some space cannons and sink some space Spaniards.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You know what'd be a good Star Trek III, set it 80 years after Into Darkness and be like yeah, the Federation and Klingon Empire totally went to war and poo poo's completely hosed---the galaxy is like a demilitarized zone, Federation society's turned militaristic and is run by Section 31 douchebags, large swathes of the galaxy have been wiped out etc. etc. and open it with a familiar character from the TNG era---probably Data would be best----and have him go back in time not to undo Into Darkness but to stop the Khitomer Accords from being sabotaged or something, there you'd have a movie. You could even cold open it with Kirk & crew getting wiped out in some battle in the opening scene and cut to 80 YEARS LATER w/e, as a sop to the people who really really want to see the new cast die for some reason.

e: I know this was more or less an episode of TNG but gently caress, they pretty much all are

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Harime Nui posted:

You know what'd be a good Star Trek III, set it 80 years after Into Darkness and be like yeah, the Federation and Klingon Empire totally went to war and poo poo's completely hosed---the galaxy is like a demilitarized zone, Federation society's turned militaristic and is run by Section 31 douchebags, large swathes of the galaxy have been wiped out etc. etc. and open it with a familiar character from the TNG era---probably Data would be best----and have him go back in time not to undo Into Darkness but to stop the Khitomer Accords from being sabotaged or something, there you'd have a movie. You could even cold open it with Kirk & crew getting wiped out in some battle in the opening scene and cut to 80 YEARS LATER w/e, as a sop to the people who really really want to see the new cast die for some reason.

That'd be pretty funny for a 50th Anniversary movie to do. I'd watch it.

Cry Havoc posted:

wake me up when the villain is mudd

Played by Nick Frost for Maximum Effect.

• Locked thread