Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

First grade teacher points to a rainbow. What color is that? asks the teacher.

I timidly raise my hand. Co-colorless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Call me crazy, but would Kalitas be a decent 4 drop to test in jund in comparison to huntmaster and olivia? It has really good synergy with the million removal spells you play and it doesn't instantly die to bolt like the other two.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

All mana in your mana pool is exactly one of W, U, B, R, G, and C. That's why C is basically a sixth color in a way that "mana produced by creatures" is not.

Except all of the other colors are defined by having specific properties to cards that are those colors beyond "well you have to use this color to cast it" which is literally all that defines Eldrazi that require ♦ to cast. Colorless is defined by the same nothing it was defined by before because 99.9% of colorless spells operate entirely off of generic mana.

Samael posted:

Call me crazy, but would Kalitas be a decent 4 drop to test in jund in comparison to huntmaster and olivia? It has really good synergy with the million removal spells you play and it doesn't instantly die to bolt like the other two.

Living through Bolt is nice, but I think the difference is that Olivia typically just wins the game if she's not answered immediately. And I think Olivia is less played than Huntmaster is. I guess its decent in that it shuts off infinite life combos?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 15, 2015

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Samael posted:

If you cast a four drop, have a grip of relevant removal spells, and your opponent can't kill you or the four drop quickly, then you've already won the game and don't care what the creature's text box says, imo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Besides, Pia and Kirin Nalaar is the new sleeper hit 4 drop if you're in red. Card has been doing better in modern decks than I think anyone ever expected.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Colorless mana symbol is really easy to understand

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

I for one, can't wait for the smartass who says, "well technically black isn't a color and white is every color." :spergin:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It doesn't matter if you're black or white, unless you're playing Magic: The Gathering: A Deckmaster Game.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

If Diamond is recognized as a new color I will throw a fit & knock over my bottle

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
you may think you have won this game of Magic: The Gathering. but wait until i unleash the power of the SIXTH COLOR OF MANA

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The worst submarine posted:

If Diamond is recognized as a new color I will throw a fit & knock over my bottle

It won't be but for the purpose of casting costs it might as well be

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Colorless doesn't count for sunburst or converge - wrap it up sixthcolorailures

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is not even my true form. There is a color beyond...

*eldritch horror throws color balance off as people go mad trying to understand*

Angry Grimace posted:

I for one, can't wait for the smartass who says, "well technically black isn't a color and white is every color." :spergin:

And this student's name? Timmy.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

WRONG! Generic.

Samael posted:

Yes, been discussing this today with a friend. Pretty sure it is better than huntmaster in most every situation. It has so many upsides for jund. Makes all removal 2:1 in your favor, great against burn, valuable against Tron, and any other tricksy combo decks with finks/redcap. I think it would even work against the Hulk Foosteps deck, sacing the hulk EOT will cause it to be exiled.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 15, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chill la Chill posted:

This is not even my true form. There is a color beyond...

*eldritch horror throws color balance off as people go mad trying to understand*

And this student's name? Timmy.

I like to think that the exploding of (some) Magic players' heads as they try to grasp the concept of the C symbol is exactly analogous to what in-universe planeswalkers are experiencing as they see the horrifying reality of Kozilek's emergence. They've never before had to think about what colorless mana actually was or how it could be different from generic mana... and maybe, before, there truly was no significant difference... but now they see, they SEEEEEEEEEEE

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

I like to think that the exploding of (some) Magic players' heads as they try to grasp the concept of the C symbol is exactly analogous to what in-universe planeswalkers are experiencing as they see the horrifying reality of Kozilek's emergence. They've never before had to think about what colorless mana actually was or how it could be different from generic mana... and maybe, before, there truly was no significant difference... but now they see, they SEEEEEEEEEEE

The true eldritch horror. Confronting the idea that colorless mana is not generic. Maybe this will be what finally kills Jace.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Where we're going, we don't need Islands to C.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If you think about it, each hybrid symbol is also another color and so is Phyrexian mana so really there are twenty one colors

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Why haven't there been 2 pages of posts about a possible Inquisition of Kozilek reprint yet? Disappointed in you guys.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

If you think about it, each hybrid symbol is also another color and so is Phyrexian mana so really there are twenty one colors

Twobrid and snow makes 31.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Allstone posted:

Twobrid and snow makes 31.

Well this is just getting ridiculous

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so many loving colors maro has been killing magic for years!!!!!!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Love has no colors.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

No, WUBRG can be used to pay for generic. That confusion is precisely why they gave C a symbol.

That confusion didn't exist until they invented ♦ as a casting restriction that is no different from any other 6th color implementation and is completely mechanically identical to color restrictions. Until the ♦ symbol showed up in a casting cost there was literally no functional difference between using generic mana in a colorless spell versus using colored mana as generic.

I think it's dumb as hell for a gimmicky "colorless" mechanic that doesn't need to exist and offers very little to the game, but thankfully maro had some post where he admitted it's a dumb mechanical gimmick for the set and not some actual forward-moving evergreen design tool (not as colorfully as I did, but he said it's an OGW mechanic and we won't see wastes in future sets).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ramos posted:

Love has no colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVZOLV9SPo

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why haven't there been 2 pages of posts about a possible Inquisition of Kozilek reprint yet? Disappointed in you guys.

Because we know WotC too well to be disappointed when development writes an article about how IoK was never even considered for reprint as it's so astronomically powerful compared to the weak cards they actually print to be played in standard.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

That confusion didn't exist until they invented ♦ as a casting restriction that is no different from any other 6th color implementation and is completely mechanically identical to color restrictions. Until the ♦ symbol showed up in a casting cost there was literally no functional difference between using generic mana in a colorless spell versus using colored mana as generic.

I think it's dumb as hell for a gimmicky "colorless" mechanic that doesn't need to exist and offers very little to the game, but thankfully maro had some post where he admitted it's a dumb mechanical gimmick for the set and not some actual forward-moving evergreen design tool (not as colorfully as I did, but he said it's an OGW mechanic and we won't see wastes in future sets).

its also not confusing at all

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

We suffered through Thoughtseize Standard too recently to be hype about another, arguably stronger, 1 cmc discard spell.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

using generic mana in a colorless spell versus using colored mana as generic.

maro had some post where he admitted it's a dumb mechanical gimmick for the set and not some actual forward-moving evergreen design tool (not as colorfully as I did, but he said it's an OGW mechanic and we won't see wastes in future sets).

a) You don't USE generic mana. Generic mana appears only in mana costs. You can use coloured mana to pay for a generic mana cost.

b) MaRo has literally said that colourless as a cost is a deciduous mechanic, like Hybrid or Scry, and while other planes might not have a straight reprint of Wastes, they will have some equivalent.

VV: Woop yeah you're right.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 15, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Scry is evergreen now, not deciduous.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

its also not confusing at all

i am really amazed at how people are trying their damnedest to not understand an incredibly simple concept, that they are now visually indicating that colorless mana and generic mana are not the same so they can do colorless as a cost

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

We suffered through Thoughtseize Standard too recently to be hype about another, arguably stronger, 1 cmc discard spell.

I just found it funny that before bfz was spoiled there were pages of people arguing about an IoK reprint, and now that Kozilek has actually been spoiled it hasn't been mentioned.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh IoK is really good but thoughtseize is probably more powerful on the whole

i mean if it did get reprinted it would be played in every black deck just like thoughtseize so it doesn't really matter

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Could they print something which "ignores" hexproof? Cards that straight up ignore keywords seems like a weird enough thing for eldrazi to do.

Like a 3 mana naturalize that could target the untargetable?

They could also just make it say "choose an artifact in play. Each player sacrifices each artifact they control that shares a name with that artifact" if they didn't want break a rule for the sake of breaking it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Could they print something which "ignores" hexproof? Cards that straight up ignore keywords seems like a weird enough thing for eldrazi to do.

They could also just make it say "choose an artifact in play. Each player sacrifices each artifact they control that shares a name with that artifact" if they didn't want break a rule for the sake of breaking it.

council's judgement does what you're talking about i think

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Gensuki posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366334

They also did a cycle of creatures in theros block, one of them made opponents creatures lose and unable to gain hexproof.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Gensuki posted:

Stick the Glaring Spotlight text on it. Or Arcane Lighthouse.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Serperoth posted:

a) You don't USE generic mana. Generic mana appears only in mana costs. You can use coloured mana to pay for a generic mana cost.

b) MaRo has literally said that colourless as a cost is a deciduous mechanic, like Hybrid or Scry, and while other planes might not have a straight reprint of Wastes, they will have some equivalent.

VV: Woop yeah you're right.

Where did he say that? I must have misread something.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mandatory lesbian posted:

i am really amazed at how people are trying their damnedest to not understand an incredibly simple concept, that they are now visually indicating that colorless mana and generic mana are not the same so they can do colorless as a cost

The funny part is if you say to someone "oh neat now my Kozilek EDH deck has basic lands" they understand it with no problem. There are 5 colors + colorless. But try to say its a 6th whatever, hooo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Why would there be? It's thematically Eldrazi but not devoid, they can't include it. It's why we got a pale imitation with cool art in Battle, I think.

• Locked thread