Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Lemma posted:

So.... is there confirmation that the solar panels thing is a real story and not some kind of satire? Because it just screams "story you can comment on to bemoan how all the dumb sheeple aren't as smart as you."

It's real as far as I can tell: http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com/2015/12/08/woodland-rejects-solar-farm/

Part of it us people NIMBY'ing a power plant but the stupidity is pretty out there about stealing the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"local person says some incredibly stupid poo poo at a city meeting" isn't just a hugely common theme of the hit NBC comedy Parks & Recreation but it is actually irl so common if you've ever had to sit through zoning meetings that people who attend them with some regularity count on the public comments portion as being a time that you can catch up on your notes or check your email or whatever. anyone is allowed to show up and speak as the spirit moves them and if they want to talk about how electromagnetic interference from cell phone towers is killing birds in their back yards then by god it's going into the public record

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I remember for grad school I had to sit in on a city planning meeting and write a report/give a presentation on it.

I thought it would be pretty boring, all that was on the agenda was a curb cut for a new gas station and some Jesuit priests who wanted to buy a new house.

Holy poo poo I was wrong :stare:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the hardest part of zoning meetings is sitting there, stone faced and professional, not just laughing in the face of the extremely concerned and vocal citizens exercising their first amendment rights to publicly comment on setback variances

probably about 1/4 of them devolve into absurdity, it was worse back in the day when there was a lot of facebook articles going around about Agenda 21 and it's always always worse during an election

but yeah rezoning in rural land is going to draw out the crowds because people tend to be extremely concerned about their property values. depending on the topography/access to the area there could be a valid concern for people who are hoping that some developer is going to come along and buy out their weedy family farm for a subdivision, to which a bunch of solar panels could have some impact. so it's not entirely crazy that the town council voted no

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 14, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
that kind of reminded me of this TNR piece on palo alto, nimby central

quote:

Aparna Ananthasubramaniam, then a senior at Stanford, tried to start a women’s-only shelter in rotating churches, modeled after the Hotel de Zink. She said a woman came up to her after a community meeting where the same concerns had been raised by a real estate agent. “Her lips were quivering and she was physically shaking from how angry she was,” Ananthasubramaniam told me. “She was like, ‘You come back to me 20 years from now once you have sunk more than $1 million into an asset, like a house, and you tell me that you’re willing to take a risk like this.”

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Public meetings have some of the dumbest people on the loving planet.

I've gone to two in my city. I'm pretty sure that there's a small group of people who go to every single one to whine that the government has the audacity to exist.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Public meetings have some of the dumbest people on the loving planet.

I've gone to two in my city. I'm pretty sure that there's a small group of people who go to every single one to whine that the government has the audacity to exist.

oh yeah, there are regulars. sometimes they're really cool stubborn citizen activist types who stay informed and like to roast the hell out of the councilmen. you can have a lot of leverage when you have a guaranteed up to five minute window to just lay into a dude for his voting record but you're not accountable to anyone and don't hold office so there's no way to get revenge on you through politics

and sometimes those regulars are unmedicated persons who speak to angels

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

that kind of reminded me of this TNR piece on palo alto, nimby central

You're going to have to give me some context here. I'm confused.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

You're going to have to give me some context here. I'm confused.

Girl at Stanford tries to start homeless shelter program, gets yelled at by a rich Palo Alto boomer who sat on a house for 20 years and got rich off it

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Girl at Stanford tries to start homeless shelter program, gets yelled at by a rich Palo Alto boomer who sat on a house for 20 years and got rich off it

And the boomer was pissed because a homeless shelter would bring down her property values? Gotcha.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

And the boomer was pissed because a homeless shelter would bring down her property values? Gotcha.

Also, Palo Alto is infamously NIMBY and FYGM

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

oh yeah, there are regulars. sometimes they're really cool stubborn citizen activist types who stay informed and like to roast the hell out of the councilmen. you can have a lot of leverage when you have a guaranteed up to five minute window to just lay into a dude for his voting record but you're not accountable to anyone and don't hold office so there's no way to get revenge on you through politics

A lot of the time though they'll just be angry white people who will scream tyranny if there's even the slightest hint that their house might end up being valued even a dime under what they think they'll sell it for some day, which is probably significantly more than it's actually worth.

People who own land can be...rather vocal and awful. Of course since the financial meltdown you also have a gently caress load of people who bought up every shred of land they could get their hands on because real estate values just kept getting shoved upward. Now the bubble has since burst and they're panicking inside and trying to get what they think they deserve which is, of course, a massive payout from selling the land for a large bag of money.

Some of them are just people who borrowed twice what a house was actually worth and now will do absolutely anything to force land values back up to match what they borrowed. But yeah you get a lot of people with too much free time on their hands that own a patch of earth and want to keep bragging about how much stuff they own.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Has anyone wise been seeing these things about a Muslims causing a and committing mass rapes in Scandinavia? I assume it's all bullshit since the people posting about them on Facebook are all anti-refugee Islamophobes, anyone got a link that debunks that?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

KomradeX posted:

Has anyone wise been seeing these things about a Muslims causing a and committing mass rapes in Scandinavia? I assume it's all bullshit since the people posting about them on Facebook are all anti-refugee Islamophobes, anyone got a link that debunks that?

Sweden reports a lot of rapes....check.
Immigrants comprise a large portion of rape reports...check.
Muslims are immigrating to Sweden....check.

Therefore, Muslims are all rapists and raping our innocent white women.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Sweden reports a lot of rapes....check.
Immigrants comprise a large portion of rape reports...check.
Muslims are immigrating to Sweden....check.

Therefore, Muslims are all rapists and raping our innocent white women.

That's what I figured was driving this bit of Facebook racism today. Was hoping there was something to counteract it since well that line of thinking makes perfect sense to these people

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Sometimes I think that FOX News is trolling their own audience:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/13/hs-yearbook-photo-with-american-flag-backdrop-stirs-flap/

"School cuts HS yearbook photo over American flag backdrop"

Foxborough High School posted:

"The photo showed the United States flag hanging on a wall with the lower portion lying on the floor and the student standing on the flag,” the statement said. “We do not view standing on the U.S. Flag as respectful or appropriate."

As always, don't read the comments for the sake of your own mental health.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 15, 2015

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

https://www.facebook.com/FUNKER530/videos/893809937337310/?pnref=story

Yes, and I imagine it wasn't easy.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's real as far as I can tell: http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com/2015/12/08/woodland-rejects-solar-farm/

Part of it us people NIMBY'ing a power plant but the stupidity is pretty out there about stealing the sun.

Snopes has it as mostly true. The "suck the sun" dude was an isolated moron, but they did indeed NIMBY the solar farm for various reasons, many of them stupid.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

babies havin rabies posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/13/hs-yearbook-photo-with-american-flag-backdrop-stirs-flap/

Long arguments over what is, and isn't, a "flag" and people screaming about "DUMBocrats" both hating America enough to step on flags AND hating America enough to complain about people stepping on flags. Just a whole mess of "No MY team!!"

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

babies havin rabies posted:

Ah, so when the white girl stands on a flag it's patriotic. I see.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't surprise me if a root vegetable could pass the ASVAB

They trucked us all up to the local college junior year to take the it whether we wanted to or not. Apparently I'm well-suited to be a "Combat Systems Engineer"

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

TerminalSaint posted:

Err...do you have a picture of a non-white person standing on a flag and them being patriotic? I don't know this girl's motives but I would believe her if she said she meant it patriotically. I haven't happened upon many people, however, that step on a flag and claim it was an accident or that they didn't think it through. poo poo, I stepped on a flag once (it was on the floor - not my garage). Expression is meant to show what you mean, but your intent speaks about what you think. Just ask a fucker if they love America (or more precisely, if they intend to desecrate the flag) and believe whatever they say. No reason for more racial tension.

e: I don't mean to imply she's not an idiot. She's either stupid or anti-patriotic, can't be neither. But stupid is completely acceptable by most circles, including the far right.

Verge fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 15, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

TerminalSaint posted:

No see, she's standing on the flag for no particular reason. It's totally okay to disrespect the flag if you're just doing it to use it as a background/carpet in your photoshoot and of course are white.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrProsek posted:

No see, she's standing on the flag for no particular reason. It's totally okay to disrespect the flag if you're just doing it to use it as a background/carpet in your photoshoot and of course are white.

Both are true, I'm sure most people are going to honestly believe they are doing it for the first reason when they are doing it for the second. If you wanted to troll The South you could recreate this exact picture in 3-7 years just to get a contrasting reaction.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Does any other nation on earth have the same bizarre, cult-like worship of their flags like some people in the US do? It's creepy as poo poo. Like, its some painted cloth, not the literal embodiment of everyone who's lived or died in the history of the USA.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Nostrum posted:

Does any other nation on earth have the same bizarre, cult-like worship of their flags like some people in the US do? It's creepy as poo poo. Like, its some painted cloth, not the literal embodiment of everyone who's lived or died in the history of the USA.

No, but the US doesn't actually have it either. Certain people here will gladly argue with each other over the method of execution to use for a person who burns the flag in protest while they eat off a paper-plate version of it. The intent of the US flag code is not worshipful, it's more along the lines of "the flag is a symbol of your country, don't be a tacky gently caress with the flag". The flag code is a fairly brief document but the part that deals with this makes it very clear in context that the flag is not to be used to advertise your business or decal your truck.

You don't see some countries flying the flag everywhere except maybe government buildings and on military uniforms, and you don't see them decaling their truck with it either. Those people, oddly enough, have a higher degree of respect for such a thing. Here, it's a pointless display of dick-waving. It amounts to a daily display that's so commonplace that most of us see it and literally don't think anything of it.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Defenestration posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if a root vegetable could pass the ASVAB

They trucked us all up to the local college junior year to take the it whether we wanted to or not. Apparently I'm well-suited to be a "Combat Systems Engineer"

The ASVAB is stupid easy.

That said, there's still people who score low or almost fail without "tutoring" from their recruiter. There are some dumb mother fuckers out there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nostrum posted:

The response in today's climate for a bunch of Muslims to burn France's flag would probably not be pleasant.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Nostrum posted:

Disrespecting the U.S. flag is like insulting the queen, yo. It's not about the flag, the flag just serves as an avatar for the reception of respect and disrespect aimed at the country. Of course some people take it way too far or completely miss the point of a symbol. It is not disrespectful to accidentally desecrate the flag, it's disrespectful to intentionally do so, just as it is disrespectful to wipe your rear end with a replica of the constitution: you're making a statement and you probably mean it with disrespect. This poo poo really is that simple. You can get all flag codey and whatever if you need a new hobby but if you just wanna express yourself: to show patriotism, ensure flag don't touch ground. To show dissent, step on flag intently.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The ASVAB is stupid easy.

That said, there's still people who score low or almost fail without "tutoring" from their recruiter. There are some dumb mother fuckers out there.

You know it's not a pass/fail test, right? It, by design, has an average score of 50, similar to the IQ test's natural average of 100, although the ASVAB, IIRC, doesn't have a logarithmic scoring curve. It is neither easy, nor difficult. Maybe it's hard for dumb people and easy for smart people but the boatswains (low ASVAB requirement) never complained about difficulty on any level more than the nukes (high ASVAB requirement). Maybe you're talking about the pre-test.

Disclaimer: the ASVAB also has seemingly arbitrary questions. poo poo you simply won't know, can't know, unless you were at one point in your life told directly.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The "Keys to the ship" are a common goal for snipe hunts.

I don't know about tanks or other small vehicles because they're so much smaller than a ship, but I would guess that you don't need keys for them. The last thing you'd want is for there to be an emergency and the tank crew can't leave because the driver left the keys at a brothel.

The only thing you'd have keys for is for the locks on the hatches. Generally military vehicles, at least in the US Armed Forces, just have a start button or switch and maybe a power and a fuel switch.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Verge posted:

You know it's not a pass/fail test, right? It, by design, has an average score of 50, similar to the IQ test's natural average of 100, although the ASVAB, IIRC, doesn't have a logarithmic scoring curve. It is neither easy, nor difficult. Maybe it's hard for dumb people and easy for smart people but the boatswains (low ASVAB requirement) never complained about difficulty on any level more than the nukes (high ASVAB requirement). Maybe you're talking about the pre-test.

Disclaimer: the ASVAB also has seemingly arbitrary questions. poo poo you simply won't know, can't know, unless you were at one point in your life told directly.

In the practice book, one question asks to "find the perimeter of a cube." I have two math degrees and am working on a third, and I've never heard anyone refer to a cube as having a "perimeter."

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm an idiot, I guess the perimeter is the sum of all the edges but I have never heard of it called that way either

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 15, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Thump! posted:

The only thing you'd have keys for is for the locks on the hatches. Generally military vehicles, at least in the US Armed Forces, just have a start button or switch and maybe a power and a fuel switch.

All Army helicopters have keys.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm an idiot, I guess the perimeter is the sum of all the edges but I have never heard of it called that way either

I'm also an idiot but this is what I assume by going off what the word 'perimeter' means and what a cube looks like.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm also an idiot but this is what I assume by going off what the word 'perimeter' means and what a cube looks like.

The answer key said it was the sum of four edges, i.e., the perimeter of one face. This is stupid and no mathematician would say that.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

http://youtu.be/dChBN_zfofY

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Verge posted:

Disrespecting the U.S. flag is like insulting the queen, yo. It's not about the flag, the flag just serves as an avatar for the reception of respect and disrespect aimed at the country. Of course some people take it way too far or completely miss the point of a symbol. It is not disrespectful to accidentally desecrate the flag, it's disrespectful to intentionally do so, just as it is disrespectful to wipe your rear end with a replica of the constitution: you're making a statement and you probably mean it with disrespect. This poo poo really is that simple. You can get all flag codey and whatever if you need a new hobby but if you just wanna express yourself: to show patriotism, ensure flag don't touch ground. To show dissent, step on flag intently.

Okay but you still agree that people should be allowed to desecrate the flag and suffer no repercussions for this act, yes? Because this is key.
Flag desecration is an act of symbolic speech and is protected by the first amendment, so said the supreme court.

poo poo thought I was in the USPol thread.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

SSNeoman posted:

Okay but you still agree that people should be allowed to desecrate the flag and suffer no repercussions for this act, yes? Because this is key.
Flag desecration is an act of symbolic speech and is protected by the first amendment, so said the supreme court.

It can be confusing sometimes what with Americans considering defacing the flag as treason worthy of execution. Completely understandable.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Armyman25 posted:

All Army helicopters have keys.

I was referring to land vehicles, not aircraft you loving pedant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

gently caress yeah I do! Burning the flag, in a word, means you're less than satisfied with the nation, which is totally protected, as it should be.