Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

New magazine perks, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

coyo7e posted:

How the gently caress does the kid even "know" I'm their parent, or have any attachment to me anyway? I mean Shaun was a loving infant.

10 LET X = visual_input
20 IF X = male
30 PRINT "Hi Dad!"
40 ELSE PRINT "Hi Mom!"
50 GOTO 10

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
He's the perfect fake son for my transplant robot wife.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Buying season passes is dumb but buying Bethesda Fallout Season passes is especially dumb.

Dunno why people are doing multiple faction playthroughs. I gamed up until the last 30 minutes where you have to actually make a choice then loaded that save to get ending variables. Blech.

Going to plat this game and throw it in a smelter.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Holy cow. Just fast traveled into a group of raiders being circle strafed by a vertibird while an assualtron tried to shoot it down. Watching that laser cut through the sky and clip one of the vertibird's wings was crazy.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

coyo7e posted:

But why would I have any sort of attachment to a fake kid with fake memories? That was what I was replying to - the post I quoted which said that you would obviously care about a robot kid after tearing apart the wasteland to get back your tiny baby boy.

Because the robot kid represents his son that he lost and subsequently killed (or didn't, whatever. We all know the canon ending is him dying). Guilt, sense of loss, or some other of the several emotional traumas the PC went through can easily explain an attachment.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 15, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TG-Chrono posted:

Buying season passes is dumb but buying Bethesda Fallout Season passes is especially dumb.

Dunno why people are doing multiple faction playthroughs. I gamed up until the last 30 minutes where you have to actually make a choice then loaded that save to get ending variables. Blech.

Going to plat this game and throw it in a smelter.

You can just wait until steam turns your copy into the GOTY edition and you get all the dlc.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Mega64 posted:

He's the perfect fake son for my transplant robot wife.

Agreed, though I feel kinda like a huge hypocrite, having sided with the Brotherhood of Steel. Blow up the Institute and kill all the synths!! Oh except my detective synth buddy, he's cool. And my synth buddy who thought he was a Brotherhood of Steel paladin, his loyal service cannot be ignored. Oh and also my synth girlfriend and synth son. Don't kill them either. Kill all synths except the four that I hang out with.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

HJE-Cobra posted:

Agreed, though I feel kinda like a huge hypocrite, having sided with the Brotherhood of Steel. Blow up the Institute and kill all the synths!! Oh except my detective synth buddy, he's cool. And my synth buddy who thought he was a Brotherhood of Steel paladin, his loyal service cannot be ignored. Oh and also my synth girlfriend and synth son. Don't kill them either. Kill all synths except the four that I hang out with.

They're some of the Good Ones.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Deified Data posted:

Your real son imprinted him with those memories, making it all the more hosed up. The whole situation is especially suspect if you're on bad terms with the institute. Like clearly this isn't the synth-Shaun you met earlier - this new one was either made or reprogrammed sometime between meeting Shaun for the first time and blowing him up.

I find it weird how judgy everyone is when you decide to leave him behind when the whole scenario reeks of being a trap. Like he's rigged to explode when you warp out of there or something. What other purpose could he possibly serve?

I guess they're counting on you being attached to the idea of Shaun moreso than the real deal. Personally I find the ending very liberating. When there's no one left to tie you to your past you can finally feel free to gently caress around the wasteland like you wanted to do since day one.

I like to view my character as the liberated murderhobo he truly is. Yesterday I saw a fortified building garrisoned by gunners armed absolutely to the teeth, and I strode amidst them in a hail of gunfire and carnage leaving not a soul alive simply on the offchance that they might have some stuff that I would like.

Not exactly Father of the year material.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd like to think my kid is being raised by my drug addict companions and the super mutant.

I hope there's DLC to make my kid work as a Vault Tec rep.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

coyo7e posted:

But why would I have any sort of attachment to a fake kid with fake memories? That was what I was replying to - the post I quoted which said that you would obviously care about a robot kid after tearing apart the wasteland to get back your tiny baby boy.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my post, but if you are - I did not in fact say that you would obviously care about a robot kid, I said that there is some conceivable normative obligation to care for him, ie, as a sentient being. Like you have some normative obligations to society to act in a certain way, despite your disposition regarding those obligations or the targets of them.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Deified Data posted:

Your real son imprinted him with those memories, making it all the more hosed up. The whole situation is especially suspect if you're on bad terms with the institute. Like clearly this isn't the synth-Shaun you met earlier - this new one was either made or reprogrammed sometime between meeting Shaun for the first time and blowing him up.

I find it weird how judgy everyone is when you decide to leave him behind when the whole scenario reeks of being a trap. Like he's rigged to explode when you warp out of there or something. What other purpose could he possibly serve?

I guess they're counting on you being attached to the idea of Shaun moreso than the real deal. Personally I find the ending very liberating. When there's no one left to tie you to your past you can finally feel free to gently caress around the wasteland like you wanted to do since day one.

Already said this before in another post, I "adopted" him as a helpless child, who needs a parent, not as a synth clone of my dead son. Regardless of his motives or misguided intentions. Though it seems, through a mixture of dialogue, terminal entries and the kid's recorded lines that Shaun's intent was to give you a semblance of the son that was taken from you, as well as to possibly transfer some of his memories and experiences into the child (though Bethesda never implemented that in game).

At the end of the day, his existence and the way he's pushed onto the player shows how inept Bethesda are at writing. The whole idea behind synths being literal clones of your son was, I suspect, designed to induce an emotional attachment to a race you are the de facto progenitor of. Instead it falls completely flat, goes over the player's head after it's just thrown out there mid-conversation and fails to make any sort of emotional impact or connection.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

My major reservation about the game is that they don't resolve your initial motivation for being there quickly enough, in order for you to start forming competing motivations about the game world

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If the Institute can make synths and put people's entire memories into them (like replacing various Wastelanders), why don't they just put all their brains into synths, thus obviating the need for food and water in the Institute, and making them immortal?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Everblight posted:

If the Institute can make synths and put people's entire memories into them (like replacing various Wastelanders), why don't they just put all their brains into synths, thus obviating the need for food and water in the Institute, and making them immortal?

If I wanted to give them a twist ending, I'd have it so that everyone working in the Institute is a synth except Father.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Deified Data posted:

Your real son imprinted him with those memories, making it all the more hosed up.
Which is my point - Shaun HAS no memories of his parents outside of maybe some vague imprinting. He personally wouldn't have any attachment outside of an, "oh you're the real thing huh? Cool."

JackBadass posted:

Because the robot kid represents his son that he lost and subsequently killed (or didn't, whatever. We all know the canon ending is him dying). Guilt, sense of loss, or some other of the several emotional traumas the PC went through can easily explain an attachment.
It's the equivalent of having your dog run away, looking for him for months, and then someone gives you a teddy bear with a button to make it say a few lines. I just do not understand how anyone would consider it anything but creepy and insulting.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

coyo7e posted:

Which is my point - Shaun HAS no memories of his parents outside of maybe some vague imprinting. He personally wouldn't have any attachment outside of an, "oh you're the real thing huh? Cool."

Neither does the synth child. He specifically mentions this in one of his lines.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

coyo7e posted:

It's the equivalent of having your dog run away, looking for him for months, and then someone gives you a teddy bear with a button to make it say a few lines. I just do not understand how anyone would consider it anything but creepy and insulting.

It's more like the equivalent of someone leaving a puppy of your lost dog on your doorstep with a note "please take care of me".

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Everblight posted:

I believe that was/is one of their vague goals- at least one of the department honchos says something to that effect of "imagine not having to waste 8 hours sleeping! Think of the extra research to be completed" but I guess maybe there's one or more technical gaps they haven't crossed yet? Or maybe just they don't have any volunteers that would be willing to have their brain downloaded in to a robot...granted that seems like a point where they'd just grab someone from the surface? IDK...lots of weird things come up when you think too hard about the Institute.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Everblight posted:

Existential dread.

The same reason some people in Star Trek don't like using the transporter.

Because it isn't really 'you' that comes out.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

This is my current feeling on this modded Fallout run.

Also I am so gonna ramp the loving Legendary rate up. What better way to spice up Survival difficulty than by making it Survival of the Fittest Difficulty where it's you or some Legendary shmuck.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

mackintosh posted:

It's more like the equivalent of someone leaving a puppy of your lost dog on your doorstep with a note "please take care of me".

I'd say it's the equivalent of having a cyborg dog who you take because why not and shove it into The Castle to hang with chem junkies and the robot that makes beer. Then occasionally you throw it a hot plate and it gives you a silencer for a pipe pistol before going back to picking Mutfruit.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mr Hootington posted:

So is the Combat Zone as big of a disappointment as it looks?

I thought it was just an elaborate troll.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You see originally it was an exotic pet store called the Wombat Zone.

The combat only started recently, what with the raiders.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

You see originally it was an exotic pet store called the Wombat Zone.

The combat only started recently, what with the raiders.

Was it originally run by the guy who invented the Wazer Wifle?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Deified Data posted:

Personally I find the ending very liberating. When there's no one left to tie you to your past you can finally feel free to gently caress around the wasteland like you wanted to do since day one.

Yes, this too. All game I wanted to escape my past, not find it. I'm the queen amazon warrior of the Commonwealth, gently caress returning to the way things were before.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

mackintosh posted:

What pissed me off more than the kid was Tinker Tom and Deacon getting mad at me for killing him when either of them could have adopted his rear end. The whole endgame basically ruined the railroad for me.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Out of nowhere Hancock has a green icon above his head like he wants to say something or whatever but I can't get him to say anything other than his thoughts and relationship status. Am I just hosed here?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://gfycat.com/SpicyHighBlesbok

Fallout.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Find a break dance competition to enter him into.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7sdyKdD0EI

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

I shot my stupid cancer-ridden son with Righteous Authority, became Sentinel of the Brotherhood and retired with my gay husbands Danse and MacCready to live out the rest of my days, which are sure to be significant seeing as how I'm immortal and stuff. There's my roleplaying for the groan-worthy end of FO4.

Maybe I'll actually do Institute junk with my next person or something. Minutemen ain't happening and the Railroad are just so ehhhh despite wanting to like them.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm starting a second playthrough, just to try some things I didn't do first time around and use some new mods.

In the span of about 10 minutes from the character's perspective:

-You learn that WW3 (4? IDK what fallout lore is) has started
-you see a nuclear bomb explode over Boston
-you're frozen against your will
-you witness the death of your spouse and kidnapping of your infant son right in front of you
-you awake again to discover everyone else in your vault dead
-you rise to the surface to discover a wasteland

So the first character you meet is of course a comic-relief robot that complains about trying to keep the floors clean after the apocalypse.

gently caress you Roland Emmerich.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mackintosh posted:

but puppies are real. synths are creepy.

I wouldn't like, shoot it in the head but I'd find a foster home for it and never come back

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I spoke to one of my non-goony, non-nerdy friends about Fallout 4 tonight. He's firmly in the "Fallout 3 > Fallout New Vegas" camp.

Do I sever?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Jay Rust posted:

I spoke to one of my non-goony, non-nerdy friends about Fallout 4 tonight. He's firmly in the "Fallout 3 > Fallout New Vegas" camp.

Do I sever?

I mean it was, sooo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

Do I sever?

Well both of those games have different strengths so depending on what he's looking for in a game that's reasonable. New Vegas is generally better because it got to refine the mechanics of Fallout 3, but sadly it didn't do everything better. If he really likes freedom of exploration then I could easily see him preferring Fallout 3.

If he thinks the writing is better then he's out of his mind.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Do I sever?
nah, he's too far gone
you gotta tell him about the rabbits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

coyo7e posted:

Terrible analogy. It's more the equivalent of your dog dying, then finding a stray that looks just like it that reminds you of it. Of course it's going to make you feel something and make you want to take it.

• Locked thread