Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Eh, all the recent news reports make it sound like they'd been radicalized for some time and planning an attack.

I'd be willing to believe it played a role in choosing the target though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Considering that the wife was apparently the radical one, kinda hard to spin it as a gone postal incident.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The last article I read about them used the term "self-radicalized". I dunno why but that gives me a funny mental picture, of them looking at themselves in the mirror going "I am radical! I am so radical!"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

shrike82 posted:

Considering that the wife was apparently the radical one, kinda hard to spin it as a gone postal incident.

Speaking of, apparently the wife was posting radicalized comments on social media before applying for a K-1 visa.

Why don't our consular officials check visa applicants' social media accounts to ensure they don't "Like" Al Qaeda and the Taliban?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Speaking of, apparently the wife was posting radicalized comments on social media before applying for a K-1 visa.

Why don't our consular officials check visa applicants' social media accounts to ensure they don't "Like" Al Qaeda and the Taliban?

Because liking a facebook post isn't illegal. Like that's legit what the FBI has said on the issue.

Maybe we should though because there are probably a ton of facebook likes for klan and white supremacists out there and keeping guns out of those peoples hands would probably be a good thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe they saw one of those scroll past if you agree pictures but they just left it on the screen

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The last article I read about them used the term "self-radicalized". I dunno why but that gives me a funny mental picture, of them looking at themselves in the mirror going "I am radical! I am so radical!"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

Because liking a facebook post isn't illegal. Like that's legit what the FBI has said on the issue.

Maybe we should though because there are probably a ton of facebook likes for klan and white supremacists out there and keeping guns out of those peoples hands would probably be a good thing.

If you like Al Qaeda, you shouldn't get a visa and a pathway to citizenship. I don't understand how anyone who likes Al Qaeda should feel entitled to enter America.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Criminality isn't the baseline to allow citizenship or immigration. It's also not against the law to not "be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics)," but we require that of citizens entering the country. MIGF is obviously wrong but "has [not] been convicted of a crime" isn't a good metric to use in determining citizenship.

e: and another requirement is "Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law." Social media accounts seems like a poo poo way to judge that to me, but it's not like it's unprecedented.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How many likes does Al Qaedas fb page have?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Without even looking " More than Jeb Bush".

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

quote:

Over the last year, under Secretary Johnson’s leadership, the Department initiated three pilot programs to specifically incorporate appropriate social media review into its vetting of applicants for certain immigration benefits.

The Department is actively considering additional ways to incorporate the use of social media review in its various vetting programs.

The Department will continue to ensure that any use of social media in its vetting programs is consistent with current law and appropriately takes into account civil rights and civil liberties and privacy protections.
http://www.wsj.com/article_email/u-s-working-on-plan-to-scrutinize-social-media-in-visa-reviews-1450122633-lMyQjAxMTI1NTEwNDExMTQ4Wj

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Muscle Tracer posted:

Criminality isn't the baseline to allow citizenship or immigration. It's also not against the law to not "be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics)," but we require that of citizens entering the country. MIGF is obviously wrong but "has [not] been convicted of a crime" isn't a good metric to use in determining citizenship.

And yet how many immigrants in the 30's and 40's where communists? Like they didn't just like a post but were actual card carrying members of their home countries communist parties?

My point is that just because a group isn't liked by our government at the moment doesn't mean we should restrict access to those that have associated with said groups.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you like Al Qaeda, you shouldn't get a visa and a pathway to citizenship. I don't understand how anyone who likes Al Qaeda should feel entitled to enter America.

if i saw al-queda on facebook i'd like it as a joke, are we supposed to not allow people in this country cause of jokes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2015/12/14/report-more-leaked-audio-from-ted-cruz-fundraisers-coming-this-week/

apperently there will be more leaks. and apperently they show that he is alot more "moderate" behind closed doors. which will probaly gently caress him with the trumpists.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I read that as "gently caress him with trumpets" on first pass.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

My point is that just because a group isn't liked by our government at the moment doesn't mean we should restrict access to those that have associated with said groups.

Uhh, sure we should. There's no reason that immigration should be 100% politically blind.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
USPOL Dec: The healthiest thread ever to discuss USPOL.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alkydere posted:

I read that as "gently caress him with trumpets" on first pass.

well if he turns out to be as big a turncoat judas as it sounds. they very well might. and he might lose the christian right.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

And yet how many immigrants in the 30's and 40's where communists? Like they didn't just like a post but were actual card carrying members of their home countries communist parties?

I'm pretty sure being an anarchist or a communist from like the 1880s to at I'm hoping the most the 1960s was grounds for not being an American. Now becoming one after you got here is different

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

I'm pretty sure being an anarchist or a communist from like the 1880s to at I'm hoping the most the 1960s was grounds for not being an American. Now becoming one after you got here is different

Nope, a member of a communist party or someone that advocates for communism technically can't become a citizen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideological_restrictions_on_naturalization_in_U.S._law

quote:

Other exemptions from the bar include involuntary membership, membership without awareness of the group's aims, membership under the age of 16, and membership for the purpose of the obtaining food rations or other essentials of living.[48]

The nature of the conduct or belief that invokes the bar differs among these ideologies. For communists and totalitarians, the prohibited activities are membership and affiliation with relevant organizations,[49] the advocacy of relevant doctrines,[50] the publishing of relevant doctrines,[51] and the association with organizations that advocate or publish relevant doctrines.[52] The bar on communism forbids the advocacy of the establishment of communism in the United States, whereas the bar on totalitarianism forbids the advocacy of the establishment of totalitarianism anywhere in the world.[43][53] For advocates of assassination, government overthrow by force, destruction of property, and sabotage, the prohibited activities are advocacy,[54] writing and publishing materials that advocate,[55] and membership in an organization that publishes such materials.[56]

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Rygar201 posted:

Jake Tapper is tweeting the pictures and names of the Sandy Hook victims, so I had to quit scrolling through twitter at work lest everyone ask me why I was crying.

:(

Oh gently caress that was depressing. :(
I'd forgotten how close it was to Christmas, too.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

Still more than enough to deport you, just ask Emma.

Sharkie posted:

Nope, a member of a communist party or someone that advocates for communism technically can't become a citizen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideological_restrictions_on_naturalization_in_U.S._law

Its about drat time Congress updates those restrictions to include radicalized islam. If you advocate for the Taliban, you don't deserve to become a citizen.

Question is, is sharia totalitarianism under those ideological restrictions?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 15, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Cruz's moderation is the worst thing he could've done. I look forward to Rubio 2016.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

KomradeX posted:

to at I'm hoping the most the 1960s was grounds for not being an American.

Nah we still use the laws against being a communist to ban Chinese people from getting visas from time to time even today. It's not a hard 'No' like it used to be, but from immigration lawyers I know that work with a lot of Chinese clients, the question still comes up and is a pain in the rear end.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Logikv9 posted:

Cruz's moderation is the worst thing he could've done. I look forward to Rubio 2016.

Trump will win the primary. Death is certain.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Well.... If it gets more nuclear plants built

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Adar posted:

Rubio is winning the "not Hillary" demographic, of whom there are a lot even among the youth vote.

Eh, even on the Dems the big demographic split is that the boomers are for Hillary, the youth for Bernie. So I can see her underperforming even among the Dems, not just the "not Hillary" crowd at work here

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Sharkie posted:

That's what I was saying, that being a communist would disqualify you from becoming an American.

DrProsek posted:

Nah we still use the laws against being a communist to ban Chinese people from getting visas from time to time even today. It's not a hard 'No' like it used to be, but from immigration lawyers I know that work with a lot of Chinese clients, the question still comes up and is a pain in the rear end.

Jesus Christ that's insane

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Logikv9 posted:

Counterpoint: today had talk radio (via Rush, and then the talking points being repeated) talk bad about Trump for attacking Cruz.

Don't underestimate the power talk radio has on swaying the hard core base.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

this primary is syrian civil war levels of attrition and mutual destruction. this is amazing

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Counterpoint: today had talk radio (via Rush, and then the talking points being repeated) talk bad about Trump for attacking Cruz.

Don't underestimate the power talk radio has on swaying the hard core base.

How long has Mark Levin had his radio show? Sounds like more mainstream media attacks against Trump.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So apparently Jeff Zucker has a hardon for Rand Paul, and it's looking like he just told CNN to let him on the main stage when he didn't actually qualify; hence the crazy three hour delay in announcing the names.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 15, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

computer parts posted:

I wonder why 25% of the people polled made over $100,000/year.

Around 21% of the US has a household income of 100k or more. It's not quite dead on but it's a totally reasonable proportion.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kalman posted:

Around 21% of the US has a household income of 100k or more. It's not quite dead on but it's a totally reasonable proportion.

People with landlines also tend to make more money.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
That's not really surprising if you consider that Obama's 2008 victory was in part a referendum to do exactly that, and that he had some crossover appeal among moderate Republicans for this reason.

Gail Wynand posted:

The Googles and Facebooks of this world do not want to expand H-1B so they can hire legions of underpaid Indian programmers. Yes there are segments of the industry that do want to do this (every IT consulting firm) but Zuckerberg and Page are not among them.

Google and FB recruit from the top CS programs, and there is a finite supply of grads from these programs. Some of these grads are foreign citizens and the H-1B cap is a barrier to hiring these. Meanwhile there are also great CS programs overseas (particularly in India) that it is harder to recruit from because of the cap. A graduate of a top IIT is going to make a 6 figure salary anywhere s/he goes in the world, this isn't about cheap labor.

A lot of the cap issues emerge because of body shops abusing the system, but as a matter of political strategy it's best to keep the industry unified and focus on raising the cap - since it is BS anyway. I'd rather focus on cracking down on abusers than set some artificial quota.
Facebook and Google may not want to expand it for that reason, but they're sure as poo poo not going to put any resources into resolving the issue, either, since it would hurt support for lifting the cap. Even if they aren't body shops themselves, they're at least on the same team.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So NPR did a bit of how should the media cover Donald Trump. Politico is unsurprisingly awful

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/13/45957...tm_content=2040

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It seems like everything old is new again as the Kochs have rediscovered the magic of compassionate conservatism! Politico has an article that looks into this latest plan to secure a Republican-dominated America: after helping to gut the safety net, set up charity programs to help the poor, emphasize the role of free enterprise and let them know that, despite having destroyed their safety net and unions, the Kochs are really better for them than the government.. After all, if the government doesn't have enough money to give you Medicaid, but the Koch brothers do...

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I looked up a guy I'm going on a date with soon on Facebook and his pic is a selfie with him and Jeb! I'm not sure which is more offputting - that he's a Republican or that he supports Jeb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Raere posted:

I looked up a guy I'm going on a date with soon on Facebook and his pic is a selfie with him and Jeb! I'm not sure which is more offputting - that he's a Republican or that he supports Jeb!

the jokes about low energy write themselves

• Locked thread