Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Clone Wars are boring and bad.

There, I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Drone posted:

The Clone Wars are boring and bad.

There, I said it.
The show is good, give it a chance. I regret not getting into it until it was over.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Casimir Radon posted:

The show is good, give it a chance. I regret not getting into it until it was over.

Sorry, Skyguy.

I was talking about the Clone Wars themselves though and not the eponymous show, but that applies too.

Rebels on the other hand is real good, though I'm only about halfway through the first season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I agree the Clone Wars show doesn't deserve the insane hype it gets from Star Wars fans. I mean, the first two seasons are legitimately worse than any of the prequels, and a good chunk of it is maybe even sub-Holiday Special. I feel like people flocked to it because it was the only on-screen Star Wars stuff at the time. If Rebels came out in 2008 and then Clone Wars came out now in its aftermath and in the shadow of the upcoming movies I think people wouldn't give a poo poo about it.

That being said I still do love that it caused Karen Traviss to rage-quit writing Star Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Clone Wars show is legitimately good. Yes, the first season and a half were full of too much droid banter and too many kiddy nicknames. But once they get past that, it's just a solid show. Yes, it's aimed at a young age bracket, but that doesn't make it bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm actually of the opposite opinion. I thought that Season 1 was mostly solid, and the first half of season 2 was excellent until they dove headfirst into movie homages and ripoffs. After that the show got progressively worse because they did away with almost all the episodes not focusing on Anakin and Ahsoka. The Grievous vs Kit Fisto episode was the last time that Grievous was legitimately intimidating on the show.

Season 3, 4 and 5 all have their good episodes, but they're the episodes that do not focus on the main characters. I'm way more invested in Rex and Fives than I am Anakin or snips. And gently caress those Yoda episodes from the unfinished season 6. Utter crap.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jivjov posted:

The Clone Wars show is legitimately good. Yes, the first season and a half were full of too much droid banter and too many kiddy nicknames. But once they get past that, it's just a solid show. Yes, it's aimed at a young age bracket, but that doesn't make it bad.

Yoda wiping out a droid army while the clones laughed their asses off was pretty great IMO.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

gently caress you if you don't like Umbara episodes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

gently caress you if you don't like Umbara episodes.

The Umbara stuff is legit some of the best episodes in the show. I just found a lot of the rest of Season 4 to be pretty poo poo. The bullshit with the Zygerrians for example.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There are at least 10 episodes worth watching for Clone Wars. Yeah, some of the super-hyped arcs are actually boring (Ahsoka training terrorists, Ahsoka being framed, Darth Maul returning, etc.) but there's at least two or three solid hours of programming that your average Star Wars fan would enjoy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Darth Maul arc(s) is amazing.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I liked watching Ahsoka grow from an annoying brat to someone who knows when and how to be a real thorn in your side for a purpose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

The Darth Maul arc(s) is amazing.

Actually it's bad. Though the finale was pretty excellent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Keiya posted:

I liked watching Ahsoka grow from an annoying brat to someone who knows when and how to be a real thorn in your side for a purpose.

I agree but the guerilla training arc was boring as all get out, and the framing arc was a cheap way to get her out of the way for Episode 3 without killing her. Plus, Bariss going surprise evil made no sense and previous episodes gave zero indication or foreshadowing for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Actually it's bad. Though the finale was pretty excellent.

You are incorrect. It was a potentially laughable premise that was executed brilliantly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Using Bariss like that was dumb but they probably ended up having to start wrapping things up earlier than they'd planned, and didn't have time to introduce new characters in her place. The arc was otherwise good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

Using Bariss like that was dumb but they probably ended up having to start wrapping things up earlier than they'd planned, and didn't have time to introduce new characters in her place. The arc was otherwise good.

Yeah....that's one of the few things I legit didn't like about Clone Wars. I love the concept of a friend of Ahsoka betraying the Jedi Order, and Ahsoka getting framed for it...but Bariss, at least at the time, had an existing EU characterization that didn't lead to her actions at all. In the context of the Story Group Canon it's much less objectionable. but at the time, in the light of the now-Legends Medstar books, it was really off-putting.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yeah....that's one of the few things I legit didn't like about Clone Wars. I love the concept of a friend of Ahsoka betraying the Jedi Order, and Ahsoka getting framed for it...but Bariss, at least at the time, had an existing EU characterization that didn't lead to her actions at all. In the context of the Story Group Canon it's much less objectionable. but at the time, in the light of the now-Legends Medstar books, it was really off-putting.
I haven't gotten around to reading Medstar yet but can see the problems associated. They also killed of Even Piell which kind of screws with Coruscant Nights to a degree.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I didn't even read those books and I still find it bizarre. It really comes out of nowhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

The biggest problem with Barriss isn't even that it messes with the Medstar books, it's that it is completely at odds with her characterization from her last appearance in the same show. Which was three seasons before her betrayal. It's a complete about face without any buildup, and I'm certain the only reason Barriss was chosen is because the show never had her develop a relationship with any other Jedi that wasn't cut short at the end of the episode. (I'd have loved to see the Padawan who died in the Trandoshan episodes be the traitor, because it would go with her hard bitten attitude)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
At what point in the history of the galaxy did Sith stop being a species and exclusively refer to dark jedi?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jewel Repetition posted:

At what point in the history of the galaxy did Sith stop being a species and exclusively refer to dark jedi?

Around the time that the exiles from the Force Wars found Korriban and installed themselves as the spiritual leaders of the Sith species.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Around the time that the exiles from the Force Wars found Korriban and installed themselves as the spiritual leaders of the Sith species.

The term "sith pureblood" was still in use three thousand years after that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: Zahn wanted to write a book about Luke, Mara, and Ben tooling around the galaxy doing stuff. That was kind of wrecked by Denning and Traviss deciding to kill Mara off without so much as a courtesy call to Zahn. I'm hoping someday Lucasfilm let's him do that and tells him he can ignore whatever he wants.

Yeah, the EU really did descend into big author slapfights by the end, but if you're going to give anyone the right to ignore what he wants to ignore and just tell his story the way he wants to tell it, no matter what everyone else has done, it's Zahn. Those authors can only get into slapfights at all because Zahn was tapped to write Star Wars books and hit it out of the park, even with the ample Star Wars fervor lying beneath the surface in the 90's, if the Thrawn Trilogy had been awful then I can't imagine there would have been enough sustained interest to build up the entire EU.

You could do a lot worse than having Zahn do one last Trilogy using as much or as little of the EU canon as he wants to fully close out the EU universe, I think that'd bookend things nicely and it's not like other books in the setting would draw much interest when you're competing with books fully integrated into at least some level of canon. That seems like a nice token for fans who bought millions of books, and who will likely continue buying whatever Star Wars books come out in the future.

Zahn had some wild ideas even just in Heir to the Empire that he was reined in on, so I'd love to see what he comes up with when there are virtually no limits on what he can have happen and who must be kept alive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that's sort of odd about A New Hope is the impression it gives you of the Empire. There's the bit where Tarkin tells the conference of Death Star commanders how the Emperor's just abolished the senate, and one of them's shocked because he has no idea how the Emperor will control the outlying systems without the senate bureaucracy. Meanwhile, while Vader is fairly clearly the overall commander of the fleet in ESB, he seems a lot more nebulous here; the "Emperor's personal enforcer who's hanging about to keep an eye on things" dimension of him is emphasised more than the "someone with actual authority as part of the command hierarchy" part. He almost feels like he's secret police, or an official from the state church (who have lots of political influence because they're in good with the Emperor). It feels less like Nazi Germany (though that's obviously where all the iconography comes from) and more like Tsarist Russia.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It is very odd watching Star Wars trying to ignore anything you know about the rest of the series. Vader definitely comes off more as an Oddjob or Jaws type muscle character. He's instantly recognizable, but he's not the guy calling the shots.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; Tarkin is framed as the ultimate evil of the original Star Wars. There's one mention of the Emperor, but Tarkin is "holding Vader's leash", and is in direct command of the Death Star. Vader's only really notable because he can choke people with his mind, and then doesn't die at the end.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I just saw on TheForce.net that apparently the entire plot of TFA has been leaked in the form of the children's novelization. I didn't click it.

At any rate I'm going to curl up in my spoiler-free turtle shell until after I see the movie on Thursday evening. Look forward to being spergily indignant/mindlessly jubilant about Star Wars with the rest of you on Friday morning!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I have finals :(

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Drone posted:

So I just saw on TheForce.net that apparently the entire plot of TFA has been leaked in the form of the children's novelization. I didn't click it.

At any rate I'm going to curl up in my spoiler-free turtle shell until after I see the movie on Thursday evening. Look forward to being spergily indignant/mindlessly jubilant about Star Wars with the rest of you on Friday morning!

It's a bit more than you can make out from the trailers (and includes some location names) but it isn't super-spoilery like telling you who died or lived.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been anything on the level of the Episode I soundtrack spoiling Qui-Gon's demise (the "Qui-Gon's Noble Sacrifice" piece) or the "Count Dooku / Darth Tyrannus" action figure spoiling that they were the same person? (Disclaimer: I have only heard, and heard quite recently, that the latter is considered a big spoiler - I had been under the impression that they hadn't made a secret of it, because I'm fairly sure DK's ultimate guide to AOTC came out before the film and revealed that factoid.)

I've heard that some action figure packaging spoiled a key fact about Finn but I don't know if it's been verified.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well there's Scherzo for X-Wing, but that just makes me excited.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There was a picture of a Rey action figure that was sold early by a Wal-Mart that Disney actually filed DMCA claims on. (Which seems kinda horseshit, a guy bought a figure at a store and posted a picture on the Facebook page of a Star Wars collecting podcast; how the gently caress is he supposed to know that it wasn't supposed to be sold yet?).

Said figure is slightly spoilery. PM me if you want to know what it was. I won't post it here, even under spoiler bars.

Also apparently the Visual Guide has been picked up by a couple people

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't got PMs but I believe I know what one you're talking about.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had read novelizations of both TPM and AOTC before seeing them, I purposely avoided reading the ROS beforehand but it's not like there was a lot to spoil at that point. This will hopefully be the most spoiler-free major Star Wars experience that I have since seeing the originals the first time 20 years ago.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Labyrinth of Evil and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous are both great reads.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Labyrinth of Evil.

Thank you both! I really enjoyed Labyrinth, and I thought the Yoda book was absolutely wonderful. Makes me want more Yoda stories.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Casimir Radon posted:

I had read novelizations of both TPM and AOTC before seeing them, I purposely avoided reading the ROS beforehand but it's not like there was a lot to spoil at that point.

There were people out there right up until the RoTS release saying that Palpatine and Sidious weren't necessarily the same person. "They're making it TOO obvious," they'd say. "I bet there's a twist. Palpatine's got to be a clone or something."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

There were people out there right up until the RoTS release saying that Palpatine and Sidious weren't necessarily the same person. "They're making it TOO obvious," they'd say. "I bet there's a twist. Palpatine's got to be a clone or something."
I had kind of figured that as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MrMojok posted:

Thank you both! I really enjoyed Labyrinth, and I thought the Yoda book was absolutely wonderful. Makes me want more Yoda stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qBdfKM2x4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If it played more like a Zelda game and had a bit more variety it would have been a much better game. The frustrating movement and combat is really the biggest flaw.