Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Koramei posted:

Is that a Tunisian North Sea? Catholic Japan? What

Bohemian Scandanavia and Subartic Islands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Larry Parrish posted:

Cultureswap to Russian after converting a ton of land to Gothic, then swap back to Gothic after forming Russia.

TBH I was thinking about modding in a custom Russia forming decision for Theodoro where they form Gothia or something like that. Not like I'm running an Ironman game. I mean, I COULD reform the Byzantine Empire, but realistically, I don't wanna slog through the Ottomans and then eventually have to betray my good ally Mega-Wallachia.

Edit: NVM, can't form Byzantium, you have to be Greek or Pontic, doesn't allow goths to do it.

fishception fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 14, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The worst part of the Re-Reconquista is that getting the achievement rewards you with a significant downgrade in tag colour.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I've always considered it worth it just for the name "Al-Andalus" but it really does have the worst color in the game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I wish Granada had better ideas, they're pretty decent but considering how hard it is to make it work it would be nice to have some powerful poo poo like Italy gets. Maybe I just find it mildly offensive getting 10% reduced idea cost as the bonus idea :argh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RabidWeasel posted:

I wish Granada had better ideas, they're pretty decent but considering how hard it is to make it work it would be nice to have some powerful poo poo like Italy gets. Maybe I just find it mildly offensive getting 10% reduced idea cost as the bonus idea :argh:

You get -15% Reduced Core Creation Cost as your second idea and the -5% Technology Cost as your third which you can stack with the -10% Technology Cost from negative Piety so it's actually not that bad!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Granada has some really good ideas that are well rounded. But they are cursed with an insanely annoying start.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Be careful when setting provinces as vital interests. Doing an ironman Kazan WC and set the same provinces as the Ottomans. Didn't know it comes with a negative opinion modifier if you overlap. Now I'm -10 from getting their alliance back but the naval strength modifier is -20. I'm landlocked.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Whoever said Hindu African Dutch Republic was good for Ideas Guy wasn't joking. Never played a Dutch Republic before, didn't know it was consistent awesome rulers. I got coalitioned by everyone after taking Guangdong but they all bailed out before pulling the trigger :(

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I'm retrying 1st Come 1st Serve. I am dominating the Aztec thunderdome, taking three countries and half of the Aztecs within 15 years. I'm now in a weird position though. If I want to keep expanding into the Aztecs (and I can take a detour through the Mayans) I have to deal with the Aztecs who have vassalized Tarascan who have vassalized Tlapanec. Declaring on Tlapanec says it will bring in Tarascan, but makes no mention of the Aztecs joining. I figure they probably will since they're the overlords of Tarascan. Does anyone know for sure?

e: While this would be good to know in general, they have a combined 4,000 infantry (half of which are mercenaries) so I don't think I'm going to have any problems.

e2: While Aztec wasn't in the checkbox area of who to declare as a co-belligerent the area above that definitely mentions them. I'm dumb.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 14, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Arzakon posted:

Whoever said Hindu African Dutch Republic was good for Ideas Guy wasn't joking. Never played a Dutch Republic before, didn't know it was consistent awesome rulers. I got coalitioned by everyone after taking Guangdong but they all bailed out before pulling the trigger :(

That looks pretty awesome. I pulled off ideas guy with a +RT siberian eastern tech republic with +infinity morale and discipline but it took me 100 more years.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Dibujante posted:

That looks pretty awesome. I pulled off ideas guy with a +RT siberian eastern tech republic with +infinity morale and discipline but it took me 100 more years.

Morale/Disciple is way better than I expected. I was slightly afraid of the Ottomans at their peak but they just melted. The only thing I screwed up was not taking inflation reduction, that cost me a lot of admin.

I really love the changes to colonization. Being able to ignore natives but lose a growth bonus is really good for finishing off all those islands if you want.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Arzakon posted:

Morale/Disciple is way better than I expected. I was slightly afraid of the Ottomans at their peak but they just melted. The only thing I screwed up was not taking inflation reduction, that cost me a lot of admin.

I really love the changes to colonization. Being able to ignore natives but lose a growth bonus is really good for finishing off all those islands if you want.

Yep. By the end of the game I was winning 1:2 offensives against same-tech enemies attacking into the mountains. +20% morale, +10% disc, +20% inf combat ability, +20% cav combat ability, full offensive / defensive / quality / plutocracy :getin:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Arzakon posted:

Oh man this makes me want to actually try a gimmick run I was thinking of doing a while ago where I'd only take coastal provinces and see if I could wrap around all of Europe/Asia.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arzakon posted:

Yeah I would recommend the following for Ideas Guy:

Start in either Mexico or Mutapa with +10% Discipline and +20% Morale as traditions. Strongly recommend inflation reduction for your first custom NI, and colonists second or third. The point of starting in those two regions is you have easy access to a ton of gold mines which you can use to kickstart your early game, I found having -0.20 inflation as my first NI pretty much took care of gold mine inflation for the whole game.

Start with a 6 MIL leader (might as well be 6/6/6 you have the points to spare), hopefully he makes a decent general. Mutapa and the Aztecs can be tricky if you declare ASAP because you have no Tactics advantage and can barely afford enough troops to execute a siege. So I recommend waiting a couple of years, fabricate claims, set your Focus to Military. Spend much of your ADM and DIP to develop your province, going from 3 development to 7 or whatever is a significant boost. As soon as you get Mil tech 4 you're good to go and shouldn't have any problems rolling over your neighbors.

Having done both starts, Africa is a bit easier as you don't have as much coastline exposed to the Euros. The AI ignores naval attrition and is supposed to mostly stay within range but it will play chicken with fleets and hide them in high-attrition waters, it's very obnoxious to fend off multiple fleets from a Euro colonizer + allies. Not necessarily hard, just really annoying.

Dutch Republic is the best but Merchant Republic with a +RT NI would work too if you don't like estates or whatever. Hindu is great but any religion will work, the main drawback to going Hindu is you're very limited on Missionaries since you can't take DotF. It may be worth taking +Missionaries as an NI or consider investing in Religious.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If you're doing the Mexico start, try and start next to Totonac and with no naval provinces. You'll get a mission to get access to the sea through them, allowing you to declare war on Day 1. If you rush it with cavalry (maybe get a merc unit for the short term) you can grab all of their provinces in a single war. Really speeds things up. Aztecs or Zapotek will declare war on them once you've weakened their forces, so make sure to put at least one unit on each province after wiping their army. The other AI will end up finishing the sieges for you.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah if I would do it again I would replace my -idea cost with inflation reduction and try to sneak in either +missionary strenght or an extra missionary. It's that or you'll have a hard time with all those coptic/sunni lands (don't forget the holy city in Bengal you can take for an extra missionary).
Completing the Expansion ideas gives you a free CB on all those nice Hindu lands in India and Indonesia, you can conquer 90% overextension there, raise autonomy and ignore them, this allows you to pick up a lot of trade power and production with almost no manpower investment.

An other mistake I made was taking Prussian as my culture because I figured it would be fun. It kinda is, at least I laughed when I got the "South german Organ tradition" event with my Mutapa capital. But you're better of picking swahili or an other large culture group in your area.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

Oh man this makes me want to actually try a gimmick run I was thinking of doing a while ago where I'd only take coastal provinces and see if I could wrap around all of Europe/Asia.

I did this a long time ago as Hansa and it was tons of fun (except for doing it before you could take capitals without surrounding them, ugh).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TTBF posted:

If you're doing the Mexico start, try and start next to Totonac and with no naval provinces. You'll get a mission to get access to the sea through them, allowing you to declare war on Day 1. If you rush it with cavalry (maybe get a merc unit for the short term) you can grab all of their provinces in a single war. Really speeds things up. Aztecs or Zapotek will declare war on them once you've weakened their forces, so make sure to put at least one unit on each province after wiping their army. The other AI will end up finishing the sieges for you.

Yeah I started in a 3-dev landlocked, uncolonized mountain province and did pretty much exactly that, you have a good chance to start with gold.

Starting in Mutapa I think you need Mil tech 4, I tried a couple of times without and they're too wealthy. You can't field enough troops to siege them and knock down their armies, even though you can win battles with superior morale/discipline. They also get a strong starting general.

Edit: also you can go Exploration, Admin, Plutocratic for starting ideas which owns. +20% Goods Produced? :getin: Your manpower will be poo poo so mercs are really handy, and you don't need a stronger Mil idea early on with your broken NIs.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 14, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

Yeah if I would do it again I would replace my -idea cost with inflation reduction and try to sneak in either +missionary strenght or an extra missionary. It's that or you'll have a hard time with all those coptic/sunni lands (don't forget the holy city in Bengal you can take for an extra missionary).
Completing the Expansion ideas gives you a free CB on all those nice Hindu lands in India and Indonesia, you can conquer 90% overextension there, raise autonomy and ignore them, this allows you to pick up a lot of trade power and production with almost no manpower investment.

An other mistake I made was taking Prussian as my culture because I figured it would be fun. It kinda is, at least I laughed when I got the "South german Organ tradition" event with my Mutapa capital. But you're better of picking swahili or an other large culture group in your area.

I think +Missionaries is a lot more useful than strength, you can get pretty decent conversion speed by handing provinces to the Clergy (Brahmins), picking Vishnu and the +2% MS decision Hindus get. The real bottleneck is you're stuck with one missionary, two if you grab the holy site in India. Three max if you also take Religious, it kinda sucks.

My Ideas Man custom ideas picks after trying both Mexico and Mutapa starts would go something like:

+20% Morale, +10% Discipline starting traditions
+0.20 yearly inflation reduction to deal with early game gold reliance
+2 Colonists
+20% Production Efficiency, this also boosts colonists by increasing Settler chance
(the following in no particular order)
+20% Trade Efficiency
+20% Infantry Combat Ability
+20% Siege Ability
+2 Missionaries
then one wildcard, I dunno if I'd rather have +20 Settlers or another military idea

Honestly I don't feel like -ideas or tech cost is all that useful if you're going Hindu Dutch Republic. Hindus owning at least one Sunni province can enact a -6% tech cost decision, -5% if you take Plutocratic (you should), and you have boatloads of points from being rich as gently caress and having consistently good leaders. I was 80-90% ahead on tech constantly past the early 1500s and dumping thousands of points into developing arguably terrible African provinces.

Edit: also, you can painlessly grab another +3% MS from switching to Sikh and back to Hindu. Once Sikhism appears in the early 1500s, push the button to spend 100 Prestige and convert, take the decision, send missionary to your capital to get Hindu Zealots ticking, accept demands. Easy peasy.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 15, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You can get +20% Siege Ability from a custom nation? drat.

I really wish there was an advisor that gave +25 SA, as a counter to the +25 Fort Defense guy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd gladly trade the +10% force limits guy for that. Even if it was small like +5% siege ability. SA is so good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I hate forcelimits guy cause I keep forgetting my actual forcelimits and building over them

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey just curious, but is there a way I can rename (and possibly 're-flag') my ironman colonial nation? Since I swapped over to it and then won the war of independence, however I'm still known as "Portuguese Ratvek" (playing RNW) and my flag is still the same half-Portugal-half-colour flag as before. Like, I just threw the dogs out, why must we still be known as Portuguese Ratvek?! :argh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't worry about staying at max force limits because having a standing army at your limit just makes the Merc fodder cost that much more to upkeep when war rolls around.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I forget, when it comes to achievements do protectorates count as subjects? As in own or have a subject own _____.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
:siren: Steam just alerted me that the code I used for Common Sense through WinGameStore is no longer valid. :siren:

Gonna contact them and see what the deal is and what can be done to resolve this issue.

Edit: For context, this was purchased months ago. Now it's suddenly bad? Not sure what the deal is, but it seems kinda fishy...

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 15, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there any hope of the launch changed-tag ironman saves that had achievements removed getting unbroken Ironman?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bel Monte posted:

:siren: Steam just alerted me that the code I used for Common Sense through WinGameStore is no longer valid. :siren:

Gonna contact them and see what the deal is and what can be done to resolve this issue.

I just got this a few minutes ago too. Completely bullshit as the payment was processed on September 5th and had been registered just as long. Let me know what you hear from them.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Average Bear posted:

If you're not a horde. Estates were meant to make internal politics get in the way of expansion. Diplomacy was changed so big allies stop joining your OPM wars.

I was pretty sure that the intent of Estates was to give you more to fiddle with when not at war, not to slow down wars.

the latter change seems mainly relevant to gimmick starts, which don't make up much of the game. unless you're restarting over and over again for your latest byzantium run, I guess.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Hey just curious, but is there a way I can rename (and possibly 're-flag') my ironman colonial nation? Since I swapped over to it and then won the war of independence, however I'm still known as "Portuguese Ratvek" (playing RNW) and my flag is still the same half-Portugal-half-colour flag as before. Like, I just threw the dogs out, why must we still be known as Portuguese Ratvek?! :argh:

Embrace your shared cultural heritage, friend.

Alternately, do some kind of weird gimmick involving moving your capital to the old world, culture-flipping, and taking a nation-forming decision there.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I just got this a few minutes ago too. Completely bullshit as the payment was processed on September 5th and had been registered just as long. Let me know what you hear from them.

key resellers are always kind of sketchy, this is just the risk of using them. paradox probably found the source and revoked all the keys that were affected.

sucks a bit that they decided to do it so long after the fact though.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
So this is what if feels like make it big...

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Koramei posted:

key resellers are always kind of sketchy, this is just the risk of using them. paradox probably found the source and revoked all the keys that were affected.

sucks a bit that they decided to do it so long after the fact though.

There really needs to be some sort of oversight or consumer protections in place though. Legit key sellers are hard to distinguish from key re-sellers, particularly when you deal with companies that could just be a foreign store and nothing worse. It's hard to tell them apart.

I'm not going to be that mad about the few bucks I'm out, but I will be upset if this site stays up. Why does valve allow a company to just buy up thousands of keys without any kind of questions to their legitimacy? Not a good move on their part, assuming this is how the keys were obtained..? I don't know how this process works, but I'd imagine Valve could, you know, do something to prevent it being so rampant and legit looking.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I feel like maybe not buying from a website that sells games from other countries might be the best bet on not getting hosed out of money.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Kersch posted:

So this is what if feels like make it big...

You must settle it, of course.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

WinGameStore made absolutely no indication they were re-selling keys or that their keys were from another country. Nothing came up on Google that they were a reseller of any sort, in fact multiple people here claimed they were completely legitimate.

At this point it's getting to be a case of 'Don't buy anywhere but Steam or GoG' because literally everyone else has just become a re-seller off the grey market.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

I feel like maybe not buying from a website that sells games from other countries might be the best bet on not getting hosed out of money.

I've bought from UK stores before, had no problem whatsoever. How am I supposed to know what's a legit store and a fake? They're not all located in Nigeria.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

WinGameStore made absolutely no indication they were re-selling keys or that their keys were from another country. Nothing came up on Google that they were a reseller of any sort, in fact multiple people here claimed they were completely legitimate.

At this point it's getting to be a case of 'Don't buy anywhere but Steam or GoG' because literally everyone else has just become a re-seller off the grey market.

This all the way.

I'm willing to accept this might have been an honest mistake or hiccup or something, but if this is the case then how are you supposed to distinguish legit sellers from fakes anymore?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You're not, pretty much. Even Greenmangaming turned out to be a bit shady recently right? And everyone had always said they were one of the good ones.

I mean it's not like we're starved for deals in the steam sales, all these EU4 expansions go to like 75% off in way less than a year. I can't say I fault the devs for pulling keys considering they get no money out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

Thinking about going for the ideas guy and dutch republics seem to be pretty popular, what excactly makes them so good?

• Locked thread