Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you're not an arsehole about it. It's that condescending sense of superiority that these people give off, whether they're vegan or barbeque fetishists, that pisses people off. If the way you talk about diet makes you sound like Richard Dawkins, you're doing something wrong.

Hell, I think that applies if anything you do makes you comparable to Richard Dawkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

TheDarkFlame posted:

Hell, I think that applies if anything you do makes you comparable to Richard Dawkins.

That would go pretty well with him being the canonical example.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tei posted:

Hey,

I remember a science-fiction novel. I don't remember what one. A planet where all animal life is stinct, except humans. So of course humans have evolved to fill all niches.

The herbivore humans are hunted by the carnivore ones.

Eating animals is more than self-defense, is what define us. Is that murder that allow us to live, we live because we kill. Stopping the kill would undo us. Cows don't have complex troughs.

You might be thinking of "Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future". The premise you described reminds me of Courtship Rite, but that's of the "it eventually becomes culturally tolerable to do it on this death planet in space because we can't survive otherwise, but the point of the book is a romance and this is just a cultural thing".

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hostile V posted:

You might be thinking of "Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future". The premise you described reminds me of Courtship Rite, but that's of the "it eventually becomes culturally tolerable to do it on this death planet in space because we can't survive otherwise, but the point of the book is a romance and this is just a cultural thing".

I don't remember.

After maybe million of years of evolution the hervibores ones had a smaller brain. Both because you don't need a genius brain to eat plants, and because plants are less awesome to power a brain. Function create the organ.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

insect based food would be great if people weren't so inclined to think it's yucky, as if butchering cows or chickens isn't yucky either
Bugs! Ewwwwwww

*devours a lobster*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lobsters freak me the hell out and i can't eat them, which might make me kinda hypocritical thinking about it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I have a twinge of guilt when I eat octopus or use them as bait while fishing. They are supposedly as smart as cats but they probably taste a lot better.

The guilt goes away after the first bite.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tei posted:

Cows don't have complex troughs.

Dunno, battery farms have advanced automated feeder, that probably counts as a complex trough.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Tei posted:

I remember a science-fiction novel. I don't remember what one. A planet where all animal life is stinct, except humans. So of course humans have evolved to fill all niches.

Could you possibly be thinking of Endstone? It's a webcomic that just recently ended, it was pretty long-running though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lobsters freak me the hell out and i can't eat them, which might make me kinda hypocritical thinking about it

Rude

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lobster is just tough, rubbery, over-priced crab. Buy crab instead, that way you'll be freaked out by a much tastier sea bug.

Then again I'm probably biased since my grandparents lived on a canal near Galveston island. Stick last night's chicken legs in a crab trap overnight, pull up tomorrow's delicious crab dinner the next day.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I think vegans are fine people, but I hate everyone who says "veggies"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Alkydere posted:

Lobster is just tough, rubbery, over-priced crab. Buy crab instead, that way you'll be freaked out by a much tastier sea bug.

Then again I'm probably biased since my grandparents lived on a canal near Galveston island. Stick last night's chicken legs in a crab trap overnight, pull up tomorrow's delicious crab dinner the next day.

I've heard that in the 1800's, lobster was so abundant in New England that they fed it to Boston prisoners. It's funny how random "high class" things are.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jurgan posted:

I've heard that in the 1800's, lobster was so abundant in New England that they fed it to Boston prisoners. It's funny how random "high class" things are.

Yes, but it was also served days old and ground up with the shells into a rotten, crunchy, crab gruel. It wasn't served fresh with a side of melted butter.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

We could avoid all of these issues if we simply ate the rich.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Tei posted:

Hey,

Eating animals is more than self-defense, is what define us. Is that murder that allow us to live, we live because we kill. Stopping the kill would undo us. Cows don't have complex troughs.

The Time Machine, by HG Wells?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine#Plot

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alkydere posted:

i love crab, just lobsters man

they look freaky

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

"Gravelthroat" :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jurgan posted:

Well, yeah, if you only look at the surface of the issue...

Who What Now posted:

Yes, but it was also served days old and ground up with the shells into a rotten, crunchy, crab gruel. It wasn't served fresh with a side of melted butter.

Basically, Lobsters are the roaches of the seas and when humans moved into their areas they thrived off of all the garbage. So you had an over-abundant pest problem, and also a problem with servants and prisoners that needed to be fed on the cheap. Use one to solve the other in the most disgusting way possible. Lobsters were basically picked up, tossed in a grinder (shell and organs and everything) and that's what you had to eat as a poor or prisoner in colonial New England. And as mentioned, you could be eating days or week old lobster slurry and this was in the days before refrigeration. There were legit riots over that for a reason.

they look freaky

Ah, good, you prefer the superior sea-bug. I was basically raised on blue crab and I really can't stand lobster because to me it really is an inferior, over-priced food. And I'm pretty sure that even if you take my bias into account, Alaskan king crab legs are generally superior to lobster tail anyways.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

mostly my response to dees is :nallears: but for this I have to say:

go take a flying gently caress off of a cliff, dees.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

mostly my response to dees is :nallears: but for this I have to say:

go take a flying gently caress off of a cliff, dees.

I didn't think Dees cared about gun control, actually.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Jurgan posted:

I didn't think Dees cared about gun control, actually.

I think it's less about gun control and more about him just believing every conspiracy theory possible.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i can't hate dees too much because he is literally schizophrenic and i really just want him to get help

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

they look freaky

What about squat lobsters? They're like a mix of crabs and lobsters.

Rare to find a place where they are actually eaten though.

Who What Now posted:

Yes, lobster was considered trash food because nobody knew how to serve them. Once people found out they tasted good when boiled properly, that status faded away.

I believe the same would happen to insects if you could make them seem appetizing. That's easier said than done though, because most insects are gross and crunchy. I don't like to eat them because you pretty much have to munch on their exoskeleton and it tastes awful. Find better ways to serve them and people will be more inclined to try them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the best way to serve insects is probably ground up, since they aren't very filling all on their own, although i have had unground cricket and i actually liked it, tho it had no real taste it was just spiced really well

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

What about squat lobsters? They're like a mix of crabs and lobsters.

Rare to find a place where they are actually eaten though.

Yes, lobster was considered trash food because nobody knew how to serve them. Once people found out they tasted good when boiled properly, that status faded away.

I believe the same would happen to insects if you could make them seem appetizing. That's easier said than done though, because most insects are gross and crunchy. I don't like to eat them because you pretty much have to munch on their exoskeleton and it tastes awful. Find better ways to serve them and people will be more inclined to try them.

I'm gonna boil a bunch of ants and see how they taste, wish me luck

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jurgan posted:

Caviar was served in bars in place of peanuts

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Internet Kraken posted:

See, I don't get this, because basically 90% of british cooking is "Boil the poo poo out of it" or "Boil the poo poo out of it, then add Worcestershire sauce", how do British and New Englanders look at this crustacean, similar to crab/shrimp/crayfish/etc. and not think to just try boiling it?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

See, I don't get this, because basically 90% of british cooking is "Boil the poo poo out of it" or "Boil the poo poo out of it, then add Worcestershire sauce", how do British and New Englanders look at this crustacean, similar to crab/shrimp/crayfish/etc. and not think to just try boiling it?

Hey, they also fry things at too low a temperature and in too much oil!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Captain Bravo posted:

A large part of it was also the inability to keep it alive & fresh due to the lack of refrigeration and fast transport.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Canada's manufacturing, on a bit of a bender after the whole TPP thing, gets a pleasant surprise from someevery liberal when they are presented a framework that aims to prevent their children being born with horrible birth defects, and also to provide an atmosphere in which they don't succumb to poisonous toxicity in the air. They still lose their jobs, but at least their children won't be doomed to a life of agony. A good cartoon.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jerry Brown has never lived in the governor's mansion, although he plans to move there soon.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Heeere it is.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

"Leftists. It's all about the force" says a woman whose sister just confided she was raped by her conservative husband.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

This is stupid and the "what about small animals who get killed on farms :smug:" is the equivalent of "you can't be perfect so why give a poo poo about anything"
I didn't say anything of the sort. There are other valid arguments of vegetarianism and veganism, but the moral "you animal murderer" one doesn't hold water.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I'm trying to figure out the message here. Is Ramirez saying "Well sure Trump's an idiot and a fascist. BUT WHAT IF HILARY WAS PRESIDENT? :supaburn:"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jurgan posted:

"Leftists. It's all about the force" says a woman whose sister just confided she was raped by her conservative husband.

He really could not have any less self-awareness

e:

DarklyDreaming posted:

I'm trying to figure out the message here. Is Ramirez saying "Well sure Trump's an idiot and a fascist. BUT WHAT IF HILARY WAS PRESIDENT? :supaburn:"

It's a response to people who are downplaying Trump's poo poo, saying in effect "if we just let Trumps say whatever he wants we'll end up with President Clinton and obviously that'd be way worse than any of the stuff Trump wants to do"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Jerry Brown has never lived in the governor's mansion, although he plans to move there soon.

Did Ramirez fuse with Gorrel to produce this cartoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

I think the intended message is "Trump is going to push Hilary Clinton into the white house (by saying the things we believe but aren't supposed to say out loud)", but I could be wrong.

• Locked thread