Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Does anyone have a good feel for how much time their system takes to unrar a 50 GB download (think full season bluray)?

I don't really ever notice or pay attention to it since it all happens automatically, and such things don't download very often anyway, but I was noticing today that it seems to take extraordinarily long. Like maybe 8 hours or longer on an i5-750 on some run of the mill Western Digital Green drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

cr0y posted:

How long did that take to get caught up? I have ~100mbit but that seems like the width of the data set would be a killer.

It is mostly internal processing that takes the most time. I started it 3-4ish years ago and just imported an nzb file that was floating around to get the rest. Was just a rar with 3 years of nzbs.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone have a good feel for how much time their system takes to unrar a 50 GB download (think full season bluray)?

I don't really ever notice or pay attention to it since it all happens automatically, and such things don't download very often anyway, but I was noticing today that it seems to take extraordinarily long. Like maybe 8 hours or longer on an i5-750 on some run of the mill Western Digital Green drive.

A 15gb rar takes less than 3 minutes to unpack on my i5-750 (slightly overclocked) and a small raid array. 8 hours is broken somewhere.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Thermopyle posted:

Like maybe 8 hours or longer on an i5-750 on some run of the mill Western Digital Green drive.
It wasn't that it spent a lot of time repairing? That can take real long if it's more than a couple blocks missing/corrupted, especially if your par2 binary only runs on a single thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ClassH posted:

A 15gb rar takes less than 3 minutes to unpack on my i5-750 (slightly overclocked) and a small raid array. 8 hours is broken somewhere.

Yeah, I rebooted the system and tried another large one like that and it took maybe an hour. I dunno.

Keito posted:

It wasn't that it spent a lot of time repairing? That can take real long if it's more than a couple blocks missing/corrupted, especially if your par2 binary only runs on a single thread.

Nah, I was watching unrar in the process list.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Nzb.cat has a really nice/well designed site.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FYI newsgroupdirect.com has 2TB blocks on sale for $55

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

Who are they? Name doesn't ring a bell. Have they been around awhile?

Disappointed to see Blocknews isn't offering the $8/100GB thing to existing customers.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I got the 8/100 Blocknews deal even though I've been a member for 3 years. It looks like it doesn't matter if you're a new customer or existing one if you click the special.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

halokiller posted:

I got the 8/100 Blocknews deal even though I've been a member for 3 years. It looks like it doesn't matter if you're a new customer or existing one if you click the special.

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up. I had logged in and clicked on it but it said "youre already a customer, to sign up for a new account click here" so I assumed you couldn't.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Grabbed a 500GB block from usenet.farm for ~$14. Here's hoping it works better than Astra, ugh.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

cr0y posted:

I've seen people on Reddit accusing these guys of cancelling accounts due to claims of a hidden data cap. :-/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Presumably that would be on an unlimited* account and not a block one, right? If that latter, that's ridiculous.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Do any of the big providers have reseller programs? I see a lot of sites that resell access, but none seem to post how to get reseller service.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ganondork posted:

I've seen people on Reddit accusing these guys of cancelling accounts due to claims of a hidden data cap. :-/

I just use them as one of two backup block accounts (blocknews is the other). I haven't had an issue with them however my instance of sab rarely gets to them for downloads, i have had 1TB with them for like a year and used like 50gb of it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I went to get a block from Blocknews on the sale. Found out I already have a 100gb block I forgot out

:bravo: me

Now to actually use the drat thing. The moral of this story, check sites occasionally.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Is there a good alternative to couchpotato out there yet? I've tried like hell to make CP work, but it's so goddamn touchy.

Thanks for the recommendation on Sonarr. Didn't know about that, just changed everything over from sickbeard because holy crap that's nice.

Any chance of an update to the OP with recommendations like this?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dragyn posted:

Is there a good alternative to couchpotato out there yet? I've tried like hell to make CP work, but it's so goddamn touchy.

Indexer that supports watching imdb lists plus a renamer script for your download client.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So what are the benefits of rolling your own indexer? Does it completely replace the need to use any others? I've got a PC that's always on with a boat load of HD space that can support it, wondering if it's worth my while or are there compromises in what you can do versus just using nzbs.org

I understand that it won't get shut down like they may, but other than that is what I'm speaking about.

Appreciate any feedback!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

TraderStav posted:

So what are the benefits of rolling your own indexer? Does it completely replace the need to use any others? I've got a PC that's always on with a boat load of HD space that can support it, wondering if it's worth my while or are there compromises in what you can do versus just using nzbs.org

I understand that it won't get shut down like they may, but other than that is what I'm speaking about.

Appreciate any feedback!

You don't have to pay some shady company Bitcoins in order to use it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You don't have to pay some shady company Bitcoins in order to use it.

Ah, well I haven't ever paid for an indexer so far so there's that.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Is there a setting in Sonarr to make it stop trying to get better quality if you already have a copy at a lesser quality?

I have most shows set to 1080p, but sometimes I can't wait the extra day for a given episode of a given show so do a manual search and pick a 720p file. I then deselect the monitored option for that episode to prevent it from downloading the 1080p file when it becomes available, which isn't a big deal but if there's a global setting it would be nice to set it instead.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

gabensraum posted:

Is there a setting in Sonarr to make it stop trying to get better quality if you already have a copy at a lesser quality?

I have most shows set to 1080p, but sometimes I can't wait the extra day for a given episode of a given show so do a manual search and pick a 720p file. I then deselect the monitored option for that episode to prevent it from downloading the 1080p file when it becomes available, which isn't a big deal but if there's a global setting it would be nice to set it instead.

In the profiles tab you can choose a cut off quality. So you could choose 720p and it wouldn't downloading anything higher quality than that. It should still download 1080P as first choice though if it finds that quality instead when it initially downloads the episode.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Thanks, when I add old shows I set them to HD-All, which is good because it gets the highest HD it can find. It's not good for stuff currently airing though as I usually don't want it to download the 720p if it finds it first (and they're often available much sooner than the 1080p).

Mine seems to be an edge case though so my current method of leaving the cutoff at 1080p and manually overriding and deselecting an individual episode when I can't wait is probably the best I'll do. No big deal, thanks.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

For any other Sonarr noobs, make sure you go into Season Pass and turn off the old seasons. I use it only as a new episode downloader and recently got 5 old seasons X 20 episodes when someone posted them.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

B-Nasty posted:

For any other Sonarr noobs, make sure you go into Season Pass and turn off the old seasons. I use it only as a new episode downloader and recently got 5 old seasons X 20 episodes when someone posted them.

Unless you want all the old seasons.

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets
is there a way to reactivate an old and most likely pruned nzbs.org account? Keepass says I changed the password in 2010 so quite a while ago.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does the current couch potato web interface not have that neat option to see the various versions out and force a download of one now? It seems to think that once you have a 720p download of any source, it can't be beaten despite web-dl/hdrips being less cool than bluray ones.

I'm on my phone at the moment so maybe it's a stripped down view but I can't find a button.

Mr. Motivator
Apr 17, 2005
I am displeased
I've been out of the NZB loop for some time now but have been using a block account and NZBs.in as my indexer. They've also moved to pretty much a pay "donation" model so if I'm going to spend money I'd rather spend it on whatever is considered the best indexer. Is it worth sticking to .in or going to another (suggestions please!)?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

gabensraum posted:

If I'm reading this correctly, I think you can accomplish this by creating a quality profile that has the 720p qualities ordered above the 1080p qualities, but leave only the 1080p qualities checked.

When it's searching automatically, it will only search for the checked 1080p qualities.

When you go in and manually download the 720p file, it will consider the cutoff met because 720p is ordered higher than 1080p. Now you have a 720p file downloaded, and it will no longer search for a 1080p file.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

tk posted:

If I'm reading this correctly, I think you can accomplish this by creating a quality profile that has the 720p qualities ordered above the 1080p qualities, but leave only the 1080p qualities checked.

When it's searching automatically, it will only search for the checked 1080p qualities.

When you go in and manually download the 720p file, it will consider the cutoff met because 720p is ordered higher than 1080p. Now you have a 720p file downloaded, and it will no longer search for a 1080p file.

Ah brilliant! Can't test right now but that makes sense.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

code:
12-26 00:54:14 ERROR
[chpotato.core._base._core] LXML not available, please install for better/faster scraping support: `[url]http://lxml.de/installation.html[/url]`
12-26 00:54:14 ERROR
[chpotato.core._base._core] OpenSSL installed but 0.15 is needed while 0.13.1 is installed. Run `pip install pyopenssl --upgrade`
Anyone seen any of these errors on OS X - El Capitan? I installed both LXML and pyopenssl and it still cannot find them.

Edit: I "fixed" lxml i guess, it's no longer giving that error, but it still can't find anything. I see the logs searching in my nzb providers and I know the releases exist, it just can't find any of them. It's the strangest thing.

I did this correctly by formatting, reinstalling, and using virtualenv to update pyopenssl

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 28, 2015

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dodoman posted:

Nzb.cat has a really nice/well designed site.

How long has this site been around? I don't really need another indexer but if it's great I might drop the $15.

Edit - free is better.

https://nzb.cat/invites I'm not posting about invites, despite the url name. This just lets you register an account without paying them $15.

Edit - just a standard looking nZEDb indexer. At least they let you download 50 nzbs a day on the free account. I won't be using it.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 27, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If I want to run my own indexer for my friends and I, should I go with NN+ or nZEDb? I paid for NN+ a few years ago but only kinda half-assed setting it up and then ignored it.

Also how heavy is it on CPU/RAM? I have plenty of disk and bandwidth, but my home server is running an AMD A10 with 8GB of RAM so it's not really a powerhouse, more of a slightly glorified NAS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wolrah posted:

If I want to run my own indexer for my friends and I, should I go with NN+ or nZEDb? I paid for NN+ a few years ago but only kinda half-assed setting it up and then ignored it.

Also how heavy is it on CPU/RAM? I have plenty of disk and bandwidth, but my home server is running an AMD A10 with 8GB of RAM so it's not really a powerhouse, more of a slightly glorified NAS.

CPU/RAM usage is negligible.

I can't tell you why (because I can't remember), but I ditched nZEDb and went back to NN+.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
What type of speeds are people getting with Supernews? I signed up with them to see about dropping AstraWeb, but I noticed the speeds I was getting were rather erratic (constantly bouncing throughout 30-120Mbps) compared to downloading the same thing from AstraWeb I would get a consistent 140-150Mbps for the duration of the download.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Astraweb was really unreliable for me, lots of connection issues. I signed up for a usenet.farm block account, which has been a great replacement. Their retention isn't close to what Astraweb has, but at least the connections are reliable.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Ganondork posted:

Astraweb was really unreliable for me, lots of connection issues. I signed up for a usenet.farm block account, which has been a great replacement. Their retention isn't close to what Astraweb has, but at least the connections are reliable.

I get the worst speeds from them during the day (west coast), it's often like 200-300k/s. At night I'll hit 4-5MB/s though. I imagine it's a 'across the ocean' problem for me though. Not complaining, as their service is pretty cheap and all that.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Ganondork posted:

ILikeVoltron posted:

I get the worst speeds from them during the day (west coast), it's often like 200-300k/s. At night I'll hit 4-5MB/s though. I imagine it's a 'across the ocean' problem for me though. Not complaining, as their service is pretty cheap and all that.

RE: AstraWeb
I never really had connection issues and always had great speeds, mainly just completion issues which is to be expected with any of the providers on occasion.

My original tests with SuperNews were probably around their peak time usage time (late afternoon / early evening) and I did a few tests yesterday between 3pm-4pm and I was able to peak higher (~150-160Mbps) and usually sustained ~90Mbps. Whereas with AstraWeb, I could always maintain a solid ~140-150Mbps regardless of time of day.

I really shouldn't be complaining at their price point and 90Mbps isn't too shabby, it was more the erratic speed changes -vs- sustained that I noticed. I am going to run some more tests over the weekend before I decide if I am going to dump AstraWeb for SuperNews and supplement with a block account as well. This all started because I wanted a block account to backup AstraWeb with the often incompleteness they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I always download at 14 megabytes per second from supernews.

it's probably on your ISP.