Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Back when I used to read Star Trek novels in the early 90s, there was one that talked about how Kirk beat the Kobayashi Maru test. It also suggested that Chekov and Scotty beat it, and it was generally pretty bad, but in it, Kirk reprograms the simulator so that the Klingon captains recognize him as some famous starship captain and immediately cease fire and offer to him assistance.

It was pretty corny. But it was also better than what was in the NuTrek film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

My Q-Face posted:

I used to read Star Trek novels in the early 90s

Iprazochrome posted:

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

My Q-Face posted:

Ugh, no they weren't.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yes, my tastes haven't changed in 23 years!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Are you now a Nu Trek fan?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

My Q-Face posted:

Ugh, no they weren't.

"I drove a vintage Corvette Off a Cliff for no reason, I'm James Tiberius Kirk!"

"Our Communicators are really just mid-2000s flip-phones that can call people across the galaxy, because we don't understand how radios or cell phones work!"

"We have old Spock because"

"Let's bring back the Kobayashi Maru test, only Kirk beats it like it's a video game and he figured out IDKFA"

"Audiences Love Khan! And let's bring back old Spock for a one minute Cameo"

"Let's have Kirk die and have Spock get all emotional ... again"

Watchable implies that you could watch it a second time.

Ugh, I forgot about the parachute scene from the first one.

All of this is dumb and has valid counterpoints. Slowly come around to liking the new movies as you imagine I have written all of the counterpoints here:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

redbackground posted:

I liked the ship-to-ship spacedive :kiddo:

It felt like a Firefly movie with better direction and actors but worse sets

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My Q-Face posted:

Ugh, no they weren't.

"I drove a vintage Corvette Off a Cliff for no reason, I'm James Tiberius Kirk!"

i thought the first star trek was fine but that whole scene was unimaginably garbage

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Honestly, that's far too respectable a picture. That guy almost looks good in his suit and dumb hat and fake sword. He's not even obese, give me obesity.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
you could cut that entire scene out and lose nothing. it's totally self-contained. kid steals a car, joyrides, gets pulled over by weird, tonally inaccurate fascist (robot?) cop, screams MY NAME IS JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK like humans do. end of scene. we learn nothing from this. we already know kirk is a hothead and if we don't know anything about kirk we don't care about this kid or why his name is important. then in the film they establish repeatedly, constantly, that kirk is a rebellious hothead. it's pointless and awful and should have been cut entirely

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tezzor posted:

i thought the first star trek was fine but that whole scene was unimaginably garbage

It was a fun movie with the occasional inexplicable scene that did nothing for the plot or character arcs. I can agree with that

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
That trailer looks even more blue and orange than Into Darkness

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

It was a fun movie with the occasional inexplicable scene that did nothing for the plot or character arcs. I can agree with that

Unfortunately, the occasional inexplicable scenes outweighed the good scenes. Or the one.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Tezzor posted:

you could cut that entire scene out and lose nothing. it's totally self-contained. kid steals a car, joyrides, gets pulled over by weird, tonally inaccurate fascist (robot?) cop, screams MY NAME IS JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK like humans do. end of scene. we learn nothing from this. we already know kirk is a hothead and if we don't know anything about kirk we don't care about this kid or why his name is important. then in the film they establish repeatedly, constantly, that kirk is a rebellious hothead. it's pointless and awful and should have been cut entirely

It was also sandwiched right next to the best scene in the entire rebooted franchise so far, the destruction of the kelvin

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I hated how old Spock was shoveled into new trek, killed the entire reboot for me.

Khan had its own mess of poo poo. Khan is supposed to be a "bad guy" but he doesn't do anything evil that isn't in direct response to Robocop being a complete shithead. Then old Spock comes along and all the sudden we can't trust Khan.

The whole movie is predicated on the idea that you've already seen Wrath of Khan to give everything context.

poo poo, Khan even saves Kirk at the beginning of the film which he didn't need to do.

Edit: oh god JJ is gonna gently caress up Star Wars too...

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

lol if u sincerely try to discern the motivations of characters in into darknes

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Rabble posted:

I can't loving wait for the drama out of that one. I'll post nonstop for days about how it was a "fun" movie and despite its flaws was a great action flick. The tears from those nerds will be so sweet

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr. Pumroy posted:

lol if u sincerely try to discern the motivations of characters in into darknes

It's easier than you'd think

"My name is Bendlyman Cimbersquatch and the script says I gotta look mean and press laser buttons!"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
JJ didn't care about Trek, he cares about Star Wars. That's the hope, anyway. A new hope, if you will.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

J.J. W. Abrams doesn't care about space people.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Didn't the last movie blatantly setup the facial piercing nu klingon story for the third movie? I didn't see a single forehead ridge, pierced or otherwise. Also, why is there a jem'hedar?

Real insightful posting by this shitstain again. It's been literal seconds since I've seen anyone mention a fedora :iceburn:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

BottledBodhisvata posted:

JJ didn't care about Trek, he cares about Star Wars. That's the hope, anyway. A new hope, if you will.

Actually, now that I think about it, I bet the lens flaresŪ in the Trek reboots is JJ's brilliant plan to distinguish Trek from Wars.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

JJ "it's bad because he didn't care" Abrams is gonna ruin everyone's childhood.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm just waiting for the inevitable Star Wars/ Star Trek crossover movie. Even if it doesn't make sense.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'm just waiting for the inevitable Star Wars/ Star Trek crossover movie. Even if it doesn't make sense.

Nah, they've done a few Time Travel Star Trek movies. Them travelling to a Long Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Away will makes sense. Don't worry.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Star Trek 09 is my favourite star wars movie. So I think JJ will do good with the new Wars. Justin Lin of Fast And Furious might be able to pull off a decent trek. Too bad it's the already poo poo reboot trek he's making : (

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Rabble posted:

I hated how old Spock was shoveled into new trek, killed the entire reboot for me.

Khan had its own mess of poo poo. Khan is supposed to be a "bad guy" but he doesn't do anything evil that isn't in direct response to Robocop being a complete shithead. Then old Spock comes along and all the sudden we can't trust Khan.

The whole movie is predicated on the idea that you've already seen Wrath of Khan to give everything context.

poo poo, Khan even saves Kirk at the beginning of the film which he didn't need to do.

Khan murders poo poo tons of innocent people to accomplish his goal of potentially conquering Earth with a big battleship. How was he not a bad guy?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Nah, they've done a few Time Travel Star Trek movies. Them travelling to a Long Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Away will makes sense. Don't worry.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Honestly, that's far too respectable a picture. That guy almost looks good in his suit and dumb hat and fake sword. He's not even obese, give me obesity.

eh, he still buttoned the bottom button. he was so close too

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
my reflexive feel about the new movie trailer is "holy poo poo thats gonna be so bad" but justin lin is not the type to have the movie take itself too seriously or be totally dependent on nonsensical callbacks to the original series, which gives me some hope that itll be reasonably fun and dumb action sci-fi with a minimum of the stuff that made into darkness hot garbage

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The fat lady isn't going to sing until the Borg show up in reboot trek

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

or A NU START

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
KHAN DID NOTHING WRONG

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

i love the new trek movies because they make the fans of the old ones really mad

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

A star destroyer would loving annihilate the Enterprise. The Enterprise has what, like 10 phaser banks and 200 torpedoes? Half the time their weapons don't even do poo poo. A Star Destroyer has like 2000 turbolaser batteries and 1500000 TIE fighters and ion cannons and like a million torpedoes. Also the laser bolts are actually super heated gas and you can estimate their payload from the asteroid scene in Empire and

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

"Mr. Data, set our shields to deflect superheated gas"
'They already are captain, as that is the primary hazard we encounter every minute of every day while traveling through space at warp speed"
"Engage"
"Again captain, I have"
"gently caress off"
"loving off, captain."

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i hope this will be more of an ensemble movie yes these new treks are dumb but i like the cast and maybe they can get a chance at having scenes beyond (ho ho) kirk and spoc making angry kissy faces at each other

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Nostrum posted:

A star destroyer would loving annihilate the Enterprise. The Enterprise has what, like 10 phaser banks and 200 torpedoes? Half the time their weapons don't even do poo poo. A Star Destroyer has like 2000 turbolaser batteries and 1500000 TIE fighters and ion cannons and like a million torpedoes. Also the laser bolts are actually super heated gas and you can estimate their payload from the asteroid scene in Empire and

I think the Culture would win most sci-fi space battles, not even because of their technology sophistication or the scale of their ships, but simply because Banks took the notion of crazy sci-fi space battles to the logical conclusion of doing poo poo like teleporting singularities right into the middle of the enemy instead of having nice WW2 naval battles with pew-pew weapons in space. I suppose it would look boring on TV or film though, hence the fanciest thing you get is something like the Picard Maneuver.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

eSports Chaebol posted:

I think the Culture would win most sci-fi space battles, not even because of their technology sophistication or the scale of their ships, but simply because Banks took the notion of crazy sci-fi space battles to the logical conclusion of doing poo poo like teleporting singularities right into the middle of the enemy instead of having nice WW2 naval battles with pew-pew weapons in space. I suppose it would look boring on TV or film though, hence the fanciest thing you get is something like the Picard Maneuver.

*Ship Mind and a human passenger*
Mind: There's a hostile ship 80 minutes away from us. I'm going to engage it. *Mind starts detailing all of the crazy maneuvers, feints, and attacks*
Human: This is intense, are we safe?
Mind: Hmm? Oh, the fight was over before I finished the first word. I'm just replaying the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Arguing trek vs wars should make your PC install a usenet client and direct people to alt.binaries.erotica.trek.vs.wars.sexxx where it has been fought since the dawn of net

• Locked thread