Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nice, just picked up two tickets for the 70mm showing at the Drafthouse in Austin. Sadly the only open spots were in the second row, so I am probably going to walk out with neck problems. Hopefully the fact that there's a tiny attached theatre stage and tables in front of all the seats will mean it's not quite as close to the screen as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DrVenkman posted:

The biggest flaw quickly becomes all of it. 2/Brotherhood/Revelations were a great triple (Though the latter less so) and 3 just...stalls? Connor ends up being the total opposite of Ezio and more often than not you just think ugh you're such a dumb kid. It's partly the point of course, but that doesn't make it any better. There's a tiny moment right at the end of the game (After you've beaten it) where he shows something interesting, but it's so beyond late by that point.

Black Flag course corrects, but I actually found the lead to be kind of a poor copy of Ezio (Same goes for Unity, which has a stunning setting but that's about it). The most recent one has been pretty good though, as is Freedom Cry.

The setting in 3 sucks, because it's a colonial shithole with no interesting architecture, no famous buildings, and nothing really to make up for it (like the sailing ones have). You go from Hagia Sofia and the Colosseum to nothing.

Like Bond movies AC games need to have exotic, glamorous locations in them.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

YTOTD: Every Single Insane Clown Posse Song at Once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2MwVyrHuHY

Play this at the same time as this and I'm sure you could have something truly magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBQVvEMc-VQ

Slow it down to .5 and you got a sick drop.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I want to see Hateful Eight on 70mm I'll have to go to another country. There has been some talk of trying to get it to the country but the cost would be immense. There is only one theater in all of Iceland which has a 70mm projector and it hasn't been used in years since basically everywhere replaced all their film projectors with digital ones a few years ago. So although it still probably works it might require some slight maintenance. It's probably doable but before you'd even get started on that you'd first have to get whoever bought the screening rights on board and they probably wouldn't want to waste their money on something like this unless the tickets would be insanely pricey. I mean a lot of mainstream and popular films never make it over here because the movie theater chains don't think they'll draw enough of a crowd to be profitable. Some examples being It Follows, Map to the Stars and World's End. The first two getting a single screening each and only because some film buffs pulled every strings at their disposal and the last being one of many films that just don't make it over here.

If I win the lottery or something I'll just fly over to Scotland or Denmark to catch a screening.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Someone do a Hateful Eight thread?

by the way, Quentin and the actors are planning on attending "random" screenings during the one week roadshow

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Safety Factor posted:

Remember when Fury Road got an IMAX rerelease for like a week? No one went.

Well that was partly because it was only showing in about a quarter of the country, and the closest showing to me sold out like instantly

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Well that was partly because it was only showing in about a quarter of the country, and the closest showing to me sold out like instantly

Huh. The showing I went to was practically empty. Maybe like five or six people were there including myself and a friend. Most people I spoke to were completely unaware of it, even those that had loved the movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Apparently Bad Robot has been working on a 4k restoration of Phantasm.

gently caress yeah.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Huh. The showing I went to was practically empty. Maybe like five or six people were there including myself and a friend. Most people I spoke to were completely unaware of it, even those that had loved the movie.

This is the first I heard that they did it, too.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

gently caress yeah.

And it is a good day officially.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's insanely dope that Oklahoma City gets Hateful Eight. Good on you, Quail Springs Mall.

Hmm I just bought two tickets and it doesnt tell me if its 70mm or not, calling tomorrow to find out.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If it's before the 1st it's the roadshow cut at least.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm a little confused by that Hateful 8 page because the Riverview in Philadelphia is listed as one of the 70MM screenings, but when I click "Buy Tickets" it redirects me to the Regal cinemas page which says it's not playing there.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress the first part of Syfy's Childhood's End was so good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Last reminder to sign up for CineD Secret Santa. I probably won't get around to sending making the matches until late tomorrow but it will be sometime tomorrow.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I don't know how or why Syfy has quality programming again but it makes me glad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

I was wondering how that would turn out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vargo posted:

I'm a little confused by that Hateful 8 page because the Riverview in Philadelphia is listed as one of the 70MM screenings, but when I click "Buy Tickets" it redirects me to the Regal cinemas page which says it's not playing there.

I think it's just that the Regal site is lovely and dumb. I'm trying to get tickets for the KOP theater and it's doing the same.

MisterBibs posted:

I tuned in for the first few minutes, but the dead relatives bit kind of turned me off. It seemed needless and I don't remember the book having any of that.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 15, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The setting in 3 sucks, because it's a colonial shithole with no interesting architecture, no famous buildings, and nothing really to make up for it (like the sailing ones have). You go from Hagia Sofia and the Colosseum to nothing.

Like Bond movies AC games need to have exotic, glamorous locations in them.

The biggest thing that ruined 3 for me was the terrible interfaces. They made an even more complex economic mini-game than the last one, but it was all through horribly minimal and confusing interfaces. Like the menus that were circles? What the gently caress was that? The economic aspects were parts I really loved, because I liked that I could invest money on having a higher income per hour I waste of my life playing the game. AC3's interfaces completely ruined my interest in what would have been my favorite part of the game.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Hey Gonsmithe, is there a way I can hide threads or make them disappear? I kept clicking on the Star Wars spoilers thread by accident and now that the Star Trek thread is back up I'm doing it again

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Proposition Joe posted:

I don't know how or why Syfy has quality programming again but it makes me glad.

They got a new vice president of content in the middle of last year and his marching orders were to restore the channel to having prestige programming. (This is why the Thursday night wrestling show is moving over to USA next month, and they're actively staying away from Asylum movies and things like that.)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
If they really want to become respectable again they should change the channel name back to SciFi, enough of this Web 2.0 naming scheme garbage.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Harime Nui posted:

Hey Gonsmithe, is there a way I can hide threads or make them disappear? I kept clicking on the Star Wars spoilers thread by accident and now that the Star Trek thread is back up I'm doing it again

I think there's some way to do it if you have Adblock, but I have no idea. I've done the same thing a bunch of times :smith:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Timby posted:

They got a new vice president of content in the middle of last year and his marching orders were to restore the channel to having prestige programming. (This is why the Thursday night wrestling show is moving over to USA next month, and they're actively staying away from Asylum movies and things like that.)

Please merciful Christ let this mean the death of loving Sharknado.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RandallODim posted:

Please merciful Christ let this mean the death of loving Sharknado.

I believe it's been said that Sharknado gets absurdly high ratings (like, the highest of the year) for the channel so it's likely to stick around for the foreseeable future.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys who don't want to click threads can use the bookmark star to turn them red as in RED ALERT DO NOT CLICK ME. First disable thread highlighting on SALR if you have it installed.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Timby posted:

I believe it's been said that Sharknado gets absurdly high ratings (like, the highest of the year) for the channel so it's likely to stick around for the foreseeable future.

I just want to dream of a world where those piece of poo poo movies are gone from this earth, never to be heard from again. But unfortunately the world is an awful and uncaring place.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

You guys who don't want to click threads can use the bookmark star to turn them red as in RED ALERT DO NOT CLICK ME. First disable thread highlighting on SALR if you have it installed.

ah, thanks

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Vargo posted:

I had the exact same thing happen to me with a West Palm Beach showing. Their page says it's being played, the theater's site doesn't have it listed anywhere.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arkane posted:

Please? Someone who's fairly in the know about the workings of the release schedule and will update the OP with all new info that comes out.

Arkane posted:

by the way, Quentin and the actors are planning on attending "random" screenings during the one week roadshow
:aaa:

I'm probably stupid late on this but I saw All Things Must Pass, the Tower Records documentary, in a theater tonight. It was kind of heartbreaking seeing a cultural force become mostly dismantled near the end, but the entire rise of the franchise and its impact on the world of music in America in the second half of the 20th century was awesome to see.

Vargo posted:

Does Regal use Fandango? Because searching for Hateful Eight on Fandango brought me to the showtimes for the 70mm version in my area, but the Hateful Eight website redirected me to the AMC Theaters site which said showtimes weren't available.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 15, 2015

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Arkane posted:

These will probably be randomly in Los Angeles.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

gently caress yeah.

This is probably wishful thinking, but it would be cool if other people of his stature used it to restore old movies. I wonder if they dug up an of the stuff cut from the film. Apparently the rough cut of Phantasm was like three and a half hours long.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Man, Jupiter Ascending was not good. Feels like there was an hour cut out of it, though I didn't exactly end up wanting more.

Hopefully The Pyramid will be better.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Hopefully The Pyramid will be better.

*Cackles like a witch*

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

I need this. I bet whoever is selling this has a pet tarantula and knows how to play the theramin.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Harime Nui posted:

You're missing out, that thread has it's poo poo way more together than the other Ster Wers thread.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I need this. I bet whoever is selling this has a pet tarantula and knows how to play the theramin.

I dig it. And the theramin.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

*Cackles like a witch*

It's opening with a conversation about digging versus scanning in archaeology. Shades of Jurassic Park!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Does Regal use Fandango? Because searching for Hateful Eight on Fandango brought me to the showtimes for the 70mm version in my area, but the Hateful Eight website redirected me to the AMC Theaters site which said showtimes weren't available.

Ahhhhh that did it. Thanks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I snagged them Hateful Eight tickets. P stoked. Two theaters are showing it, so I'm hoping I picked the one where QT shows up. He filmed the movie in my goddamn state. Dude better show up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Because I get impatient, here's a Hateful Eight thread complete with some info about the 70mm roadshow. Let me know if I missed any important details and I'll update the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I am watching Beer For My Horses, and not for the first time.

this movie is loving terrible

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 15, 2015

• Locked thread