Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sounds reasonable to me? Datacenters can see electricity and facility bills in the tens of thousands per month just for cooling. I don't think it's absurd to pay $1000 a year for 5 2U servers if they're covering electricity and cooling, and in fact that sounds like a pretty good deal.

My mistake, I meant to say $100 per RU per MONTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

skipdogg posted:

That's pretty reasonable if not low. You want to poo poo a brick? Get a quote from Equinix for co location space. We have a small cage there and it's over 250K a year.
Colo is a huge racket. They'll lease you space for almost free and then charge you thousands for every watt of power you might think about using

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Ooh hey something Toronto's not the worst at! (it's 140k here :shepface: )

I moved out of Palo Alto, CA 6 months ago. You need to make 442k a year there in order to buy a house.

(I just have an 80 year old grandmother who lives there, she bought her house for 25k in the 50's. The ONLY loving way I was able to afford to move to out there was to move in with her for a couple years)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Vulture Culture posted:

Colo is a huge racket. They'll lease you space for almost free and then charge you thousands for every watt of power you might think about using
I think this might be because one of those things is waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive than the other.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Get a quote from Equinix for co location space. We have a small cage there and it's over 250K a year.

How many kW? That is the only question which matters. $20k/month isn't out of this world for colo depending on how many kW you have allocated. I'm going to guess 60.

Also my consulting fee is a flat % of annualized $ saved for a 12 month period.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 11, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

That's pretty reasonable if not low. You want to poo poo a brick? Get a quote from Equinix for co location space. We have a small cage there and it's over 250K a year.

Pretty accurate. I just had an end user whose calendar stopped syncing yesterday on their iPhone. Tried everything to fix it, nothing worked. About an hour ago it just started working again.

I just shrug and say "It's the cloud"

I have found that Office 365 really cares about network connectivity in a way you almost wouldn't expect a cloud service to - I'm going to assume that the move to 'things' over HTTP as the main protocol that Outlook uses is part of the change of Exchange being an application that is accessed with LAN-line latencies to more Internet-like ones. We had no end of issues in Outlook 2013 on a wireless link with around 30-40ms delay to the Office 365 servers and a fair amount of jitter, and still see problems even with a pretty constant 3-4ms delay and 3 hops to a Microsoft datacenter where Outlook will just assume that it's in sync but it won't agree with OWA, or mail just sits in the outbox because Outlook thinks the connection is out, so needs offline mode toggling.

It's improving with Outlook 2016 but it's a fairly irritating problem.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

skipdogg posted:

I just shrug and say "It's the cloud"

Sometimes clouds rain, you know. That's what an outage is.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sounds reasonable to me? Datacenters can see electricity and facility bills in the tens of thousands per month just for cooling. I don't think it's absurd to pay $1000 a year for 5 2U servers if they're covering electricity and cooling, and in fact that sounds like a pretty good deal.

At what point is it cheaper to pay hobos to pedal stationary bikes connected to fans?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 11, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Accretionist posted:

At what point is it cheaper to pay hobos to pedal stationary bikes connected to fans?

hobos are surprisingly expensive.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Edit: Nevermind.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

RFC2324 posted:

The correct term is 'transient resources'

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hobos generate heat and will need to be cooled so they don't die. Not only will you need Tier 1 hobos to handle the servers, you'll need Tier 2 hobos to cool tier 1. Tier 2 hobos do not need to work quite as hard but they'll still generate heat and will need tier 3 pedaling gently to cool them.

1 rack = 3 hobos on tier 1, 2 hobos tier 2, 1 hobo tier 3. 6 @ $7.25 / hr x 24 hours x 30 days = $31,320 / month.

Transient resources are expensive as gently caress just pay the $100 a month per RU and make sure you don't deploy 4 RU servers.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Hobos all the way down...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Transient resources are cattle, not pets. You don't support them. If it acts up, you dispose of it and get another.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If I have a high performing transient resource can I subsidize it by studding it out?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Anyone know if Sonicwalls have something like a "Fail 2 Ban"? Using a NSA2600 with all the Intrusion Prevention features turned on: I get 800 emails about IPS preventing attacks from one IP address. It'd be nice if after 50 prevented attacks, I could configure it to just block the IP address.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The Agency has finally blocked GMail at the firewall. This is truly the end times, here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Toshimo posted:

The Agency has finally blocked GMail at the firewall. This is truly the end times, here.
I've seen places where gmail.com is blocked, but mail.google.com isn't. You might also try inbox.google.com.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was going to suggest going by IP as well, but they seem to have some sort of NAT going. The IPs for every one of those URLs goes to the main Google page.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RFC2324 posted:

I know a particularly well mannered hobo who would rather lay in the grass than work for anything less than $10/hour.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Alfajor posted:

Anyone know if Sonicwalls have something like a "Fail 2 Ban"? Using a NSA2600 with all the Intrusion Prevention features turned on: I get 800 emails about IPS preventing attacks from one IP address. It'd be nice if after 50 prevented attacks, I could configure it to just block the IP address.

Why do you get emails about IPS doing what IPS does? Once a week, review the logs in a log aggregator, done.

gently caress getting individual emails about that poo poo.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hey IT nerds you might know the answer to this question:

I'm currently running windows 8.1 with server 2012 deduplication roles on my personal machine. I want to upgrade to win 10. This was impossible with 2012 dedupe roles, without disabling deduplication. Apparently, the 2016 files have been released so that you can enable deduplication on 10 now. What I want to know is, if I upgrade and install the 2016 deduplication roles, will I be able to recover my 2012-deduped data? Or am I SOL until I de-dedupe my current install?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I put in my 2 weeks today, changed wallpaper to eject.jpg

I start my new gig 5 years to the day after I started here. Weird.

Anyway, they're hitting me up with all the usual exit interview/survey stuff. I've heard differing opinions here about these - some people say never do them, you have nothing to gain. Is that still the general consensus? Its not a hostile exit, but I am definitely not leaving with a lot of good things to say about my organization.

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 14, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

ZetsurinPower posted:

Anyway, they're hitting me up with all the usual exit interview/survey stuff. I've heard differing opinions here about these - some people say never do them, you have nothing to gain. Is that still the general consensus? Its not a hostile exit, but I am definitely not leaving with a lot of good things to say about my organization.

I don't think there is a general consensus but being professional and not burning bridges would be a good start. "Never do them" seems like goon extremism.

You're on your way out so you don't owe them anything, so you can tell them lots or little per your preference.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2015/06/04/exit-interview-dos-and-donts/

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Yeah I was planning on constructive criticism. I kinda figured the "never do them" sentiment was coming from the same kind of people who say "If you're not getting $160k/yr they are loving you, get out now!"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ZetsurinPower posted:

I put in my 2 weeks today, changed wallpaper to eject.jpg

I start my new gig 5 years to the day after I started here. Weird.

I don't think I have seen a single person say never do them. I am pretty sure the only advice I have seen is to just be reserved on your exit interview. It doesn't help you to go all scorched earth.

ZetsurinPower posted:

Yeah I was planning on constructive criticism. I kinda figured the "never do them" sentiment was coming from the same kind of people who say "If you're not getting $160k/yr they are loving you, get out now!"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
With an exit interview, you have the opportunity to make positive comments that will be more credible because you have nothing to gain.

I'm not saying to be deceptive, but if there are things that you expect to miss, make sure you mention them.

You can call out specific things that management did for you that you will remember forever. "Bob, I remember the time that you put yourself out on the line two years ago to get the nicer chairs for the office. It meant a lot at the time, it meant a lot for the next two years, and if my next job has bad chairs, it's going to be something I'll miss."

You can make some comments about things you disliked, but you've got to be a lot more careful. With the positives, you can kinda blabber on without much worry.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I told my last job (which I have no intention of ever, ever returning to) about how my boss is probably going to just snap one day, and how they might benefit from preventing that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was going to suggest going by IP as well, but they seem to have some sort of NAT going. The IPs for every one of those URLs goes to the main Google page.

Ha, well, I'm not gonna bother. They sent out an e-mail last week that I casually disregarded saying that they were now gonna block ~all webmail~ (goog, yahoo, and hotmail mentioned specifically). Office365 seems to work just fine though, so... v0v.

No sense in poking the hornet's nest. I have a wifi connection to a comcast line that's unmonitored and off the network so, personally, I can do whatever, and they really probably don't care since it's a security thing and I'm not malwaring up their network on separate line.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

In my exit interview, I complained about the cookie bar for the Wednesday lunch, and how all the chocolate chips would go immediately and then the caterers wouldn't bring out more until the entire tray filled with inferior cookies was consumed.

On the plus side, I hear that they improved that part.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You have a loving cookie bar?!

Time to talk to HR tomorrow.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

You have a loving cookie bar?!

Time to talk to HR tomorrow.

That was at my last job.

At my current job, I have so very much more :allears:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Volmarias posted:

That was at my last job.

At my current job, I have so very much more :allears:

Two cookie bars?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

At my new job I get to travel to lots of other companies and see how they treat their employees.

Snack bars seem almost mandatory at this point if you want to keep any talent.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

At my new job I get to travel to lots of other companies and see how they treat their employees.

Snack bars seem almost mandatory at this point if you want to keep any talent.

Do they have cookie bars?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do they have cookie bars?

Well I'm not sure what defines a cookie bar but one place had a milkshake machine with a huge selection of ice cream.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
We had 100% subsidized unlimited Quest Bars but of course the meathead sales department had to ruin everything by ringing out a dozen at a time and bringing them home with them :cry:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Which is IT's greatest foe:

• Sales
  • Marketing
  • HR

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Which is IT's greatest foe:

• Sales
  • Marketing
  • HR

Marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
HR is the one that brings all the other morons in, and then refuses to get rid of them