Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

I saw something cool in a movie and haven't been able to stop masturbating to it since. Will I be able to satisfy my Malcolm Reynolds/Lando Calrissian/Matrix slashfic that will make me a special snowflake that causes my parents to finally love me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Iglocska posted:

The only scene I remember from that movie was the conversation between a blind Neo and an impaled Trinity. It really showed that Carrie-Anne Moss is a model / actor and not the other way around.

She was pretty good in Jessica Jones so it seems like she just got better or had poo poo direction v0v. Namaste friend.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I just know this guy is actually a terrible pilot and will fail 10 seconds into every attempted run.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I just know this guy is actually a terrible pilot and will fail 10 seconds into every attempted run.

You forgot the part when he writes a huge forum post about how it's unfair.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

You forgot the part when he writes a huge forum post about how it's unfair.

replace all the current griefing complaints with maneuverability / ship balancing issues and how he isn't bad, its the map

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

ZenMaster posted:

Hurry up and play the game with your friend, I want to know what you think. :)

Hey Zen, we gave it a go for about an hour and a half. :suspense:

I'd say without question that the game as it stands is entirely unready for group play of any sort. Out of a few dozen attempts we managed to join a server 3 times. We did actually get to fool around in a Constellation on 3 attempts, but:

Attempt #1: We both get into the ship successfully, but as I'm picking a target to QD to, my client crashes. He's stuck out in the middle of space before the ship despawns and then quits about a minute later when I cannot rejoin that server due to the party system not working correctly (you have to manually leave the party, then rejoin or else it will think you are still in a dead party).

Attempt #2: I get in a fresh server and spin up my Constellation while waiting for him to join. He has my old EE975 system from 2009 with a 680, so his join times are roughly 30 seconds longer than mine. I fly around Olisar dodging :zerg: interested parties trying to EVA and takeover. Once he loads, I head over to the pad, but forget to middle click to select a landing pad and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HFc6x_AtWs smash the lower turret into the landing pad. After rotating around like a :downs: I manage to land on a second attempt (middle mouse button!) and my buddy joins. PLUS a friendly recruit who will totally not :commissar: the first opportunity he gets. We take off to visit the repair station. It works! Except for the sparky ship still sparking, all the turrets are fixed. We then head to a station while our new-found friend is busy playing with the shield systems and after dispatching some unfortunate pirates, and getting the Sparky Ship, do an EVA. At this point, he crashes, :gary::lol: - For some reason my new friend does not take over the ship while I'm out EVAing and I tell him to take it while we go back to trying to get into the same instance again.

Attempt #3: As I'm saying: 'I'm giving this one more go before giving up for the night' we connect and manage to join up. Connie acquired, friends together we fly off to a station. The turret works! Except neither of us know how to get the UI up on top so he has to eye ball tiny ships rapidly moving to shoot them. After Sparky the Connie lights up again, my client locks up.

TL;DR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJLzAzjxc8A&t=12s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84zY33QZO5o&t=2s

So yeah, I'm considering going ahead and asking for a refund. Need to think on it a bit more, because there were moments of fun, but way too hard to get right now.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Loiosh posted:

So yeah, I'm considering going ahead and asking for a refund
Remember that you can always buy back into the game if they release anything that isn't a buggy mess, but get your money out now while you still can.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dirty Hairy posted:

Dancing cat man should not just be a runner up. I clearly remember that Eonwe touched the poop when 2.0 went onto the PTU.

what do you mean I touched the poop

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Loiosh posted:

I'd say without question that the game as it stands is entirely unready for group play of any sort. Out of a few dozen attempts we managed to join a server 3 times. We did actually get to fool around in a Constellation on 3 attempts, but:

Attempt #1: We both get into the ship successfully, but as I'm picking a target to QD to, my client crashes. He's stuck out in the middle of space before the ship despawns and then quits about a minute later when I cannot rejoin that server due to the party system not working correctly (you have to manually leave the party, then rejoin or else it will think you are still in a dead party).

Attempt #2: I get in a fresh server and spin up my Constellation while waiting for him to join. He has my old EE975 system from 2009 with a 680, so his join times are roughly 30 seconds longer than mine. I fly around Olisar dodging :zerg: interested parties trying to EVA and takeover. Once he loads, I head over to the pad, but forget to middle click to select a landing pad and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HFc6x_AtWs smash the lower turret into the landing pad. After rotating around like a :downs: I manage to land on a second attempt (middle mouse button!) and my buddy joins. PLUS a friendly recruit who will totally not :commissar: the first opportunity he gets. We take off to visit the repair station. It works! Except for the sparky ship still sparking, all the turrets are fixed. We then head to a station while our new-found friend is busy playing with the shield systems and after dispatching some unfortunate pirates, and getting the Sparky Ship, do an EVA. At this point, he crashes, :gary::lol: - For some reason my new friend does not take over the ship while I'm out EVAing and I tell him to take it while we go back to trying to get into the same instance again.

Attempt #3: As I'm saying: 'I'm giving this one more go before giving up for the night' we connect and manage to join up. Connie acquired, friends together we fly off to a station. The turret works! Except neither of us know how to get the UI up on top so he has to eye ball tiny ships rapidly moving to shoot them. After Sparky the Connie lights up again, my client locks up.

TL;DR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJLzAzjxc8A&t=12s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84zY33QZO5o&t=2s

So yeah, I'm considering going ahead and asking for a refund. Need to think on it a bit more, because there were moments of fun, but way too hard to get right now.

I feel you on the disappointment, unlike most fire and brimstone goons I was a lot more forgiving than I should have been because who knows? Maybe 2.0 really would be the thing to prove the haters wrong (ignoring the obviously stupid poo poo CIG does on the public side). But after "playing" it, I really don't think there is any way to salvage it considering the most fundamental aspect of the game, the on-foot movement, is so positively horrendous. As long as they keep the idiotic camera system, this game is 100% unplayable for me. It makes me physically ill.

That, and the fact performance is absolute dogshit even on low when I can run anything in UE4 on high settings just fine.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Loiosh posted:

:glomp:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

fuctifino posted:

Remember that you can always buy back into the game if they release anything that isn't a buggy mess, but get your money out now while you still can.

That's what I'm thinking. Especially since they're going to be selling the ships post launch now. I'll need more time, but this is certainly far more likely now. Even my friend was like 'this is way broke' and his entertainment is playing LJN NES games. Oh well, I can always put money in again when (if) it ever gets stable.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Loiosh posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My experience tonight, no exaggerations or anything.

It took about 10 tries and an hour to get into the game, I got either an endless loading screen, server full or connection error.
Once in framerates were poo poo as usual. I managed to push another player off some stairs and into a little area where he couldn't get out of, so that's a success. Watching him jump around and give me the middle finger was without a doubt the highlight of SC entirely.
I walk to a screen, press for my ship then go outside, press to get in it and fall through the bottom of it.
This happens maybe 15 times, I climb the ladder to get in and fall out the bottom.
I finally get in the cockpit by simultaneously spamming the use key and jump. The animation plays where I get in the seat, when it's done I look up and my ship is about 30ft off the floor, I fall through the bottom of the ship again and then I'm just stood there, half my body above ground , half stuck in the ground, looking up at my ship with no way of getting back to it.
Then the client crashed and stopped working.

So I still haven't managed to fly anywhere after what, four days? All the time this was happening other ships were crashing into the floor all around me :lol:

Overall 8 / 10 great game

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Loiosh posted:

That's what I'm thinking. Especially since they're going to be selling the ships post launch now. I'll need more time, but this is certainly far more likely now. Even my friend was like 'this is way broke' and his entertainment is playing LJN NES games. Oh well, I can always put money in again when (if) it ever gets stable.

Take the money, place it at interest and in 4 year If that mess get published and you still like it you can get more ships with the same money !

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

I really don't think there is any way to salvage it considering the most fundamental aspect of the game, the on-foot movement, is so positively horrendous.

You know, if you consider the on-foot movement to be the fundamental aspect of this space ship pew pew game then it kinda, kinda makes sense to use a FPS engine for it.

kinda.

Loiosh posted:

Not only are they going to be selling the ships post launch, but -if the game ever launches- they are going to be selling betterbigger ships for less money, specially after the gold-farmers give them an excuse to do so.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

I imagine it's more of a case of accessibility to the food during work hours.

People react to the presence of guilt in a myriad of ways. Some folks drink, others do drugs, some people even go to church to confess! Some folks though, they try to fight off pangs of guilt by defeating nonexistent pangs of hunger whenever possible, convenient or permissible with whatever is to hand. It soothes the negative thoughts and sensations by replacing it with transient fullness.

If you're not a sociopath, then the weight of the guilt that you must feel when you're part of an operation on the scale of Star Citizen must be a growing monster that rivals the feature creep of said game.

Guilt or no, the responsibilities placed upon this man's shoulders to provide dreams to backers must be getting to him. He's so close to the beating heart of the greatest con in existence and keeping that precious whale blood pumping is no small task. I just hope that his own heart doesn't increase in scope in the process.

He feels such overwhelming guilt that the only way he can assuage it is going on inter-forum hunts so he can lay down the ban hammer on some guy being inconvenient on the RSI forum but that has not done anything bannable. He's an rear end in a top hat on a power trip, he never before had this much power and influence in his life and he never will again. And it was all handed to him by his idol, he's going to make use of it god drat it. And why shouldn't he eat all he wants, they're spending thousands on furniture, might as well eat some pizza and drink a couple of sodas. Besides if he sticks around till 8PM they can have both lunch and dinner on the company dime. It's though in LA.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Loiosh posted:

Even my friend was like 'this is way broke' and his entertainment is playing LJN NES games.

new thread title please

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Loiosh posted:

:eyepop:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:shittypop:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
The saddest part about this game never coming out, is how long it's going to be in development hell. Shitizens will continuously be deluded about their BDSSE, even if they have to wait till 2020 (pretty sure CIG will go bankrupt before then). But that also means, I have to wait till 2020 for the final failure of SC, so I can witness dickwulf's tears.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

That's why it is called an investment you idiots. Sometimes investments do not pan out, well, hey, that is the way it goes. Remember, do not invest more than you're willing to lose.

-r/starcitizen, around 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently Kickstarter did a thing where they found that 10% of successful kickstarters don't fulfill their promises.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2699251

The research was done by a third party and looked at 30,000 kickstarters.

Also at least like three different "big name" streamers I watch on Twitch have been like "I backed Star Citizen on Kickstarter but what the gently caress are they doing and why the gently caress is it taking so long?"

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 15, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Interestingly enough, this was my reaction when watching Gary Oldman in the SQ42 preview at CitCon.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Unfunny Poster posted:

Apparently Kickstarter did a thing where they found that 10% of successful kickstarters don't fulfill their promises.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2699251

The research was done by a third party and looked at 30,000 kickstarters.

Also at least like three different "big name" streamers I watch on Twitch have been like "I backed Star Citizen on Kickstarter but what the gently caress are they doing and why the gently caress is it taking so long?"

10% is honestly way better than I was expecting.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apocadall posted:

10% is honestly way better than I was expecting.

I haven't read the full thing but I wonder if "Video Game" kickstarters have a higher failure rate out of all the other genres.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

Even my friend was like 'this is way broke' and his entertainment is playing LJN NES games.

:drat:

Good luck with the refund/chargeback if you do go ahead.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Omi-Polari posted:

Top five good posters in this thread in memes and gifs (this list is subject to change.)

1. Derek Smart

2. A Neurotic Jew

3. MeLKoR

4. Beer4theBeerGod

5. Eonwe

Runner-up:

Gimme two weeks. It'll be glorious, I swear.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I am disappointed this game is such poo poo, it looks like it was going to be griefers paradise

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
God, I can't believe Forbes and Kotaku and PCGamingMasterRace always get their facts wrong. If only they could get someone to follow the 4 weekly vodcasts that talk about every minor detail about the game their personal lives and learn about what makes Star Citizen great!

It's clear to me that videogame journalism isn't what it used to be. All these hacks probably aren't even real journalists! Bah, humbug I say!

What? No, I'm not getting angry, I'm just peeved that people are publishing these ramblings and passing it off as news.

What does the Forbes article get wrong? Like... everything! I can't believe how wrong they are. I'd refute them and list all the issues but I'm busy re-logging in after I've crashed for the 6th time in 30 minutes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Tried group play for an hour and a half. Whatever the gently caress CIG thinks they're doing with their "MMO" is sure as gently caress isn't working. Group ranged from 2 to I think 5 at peak.

1. Not once did our party ever get more than 3-4 people in the same instance. Usually you'd have a small group and then maybe 1-2 other folks in different servers.

2. The server max is 16. Sixteen loving people, and it can't even handle that without making GBS threads itself. To put that into context in order for Star Citizen to maintain a capacity equivalent to loving EVE Online's current population they would need each system to be able to handle 300 people assuming nobody clumped up. And that's assuming a player population of 30,000 for a game that likely has ten or twenty times that amount.

3. Whoever the gently caress thought releasing multi-crew ships without the ability of players to reliably group, pick instances together, see who is sharing their server, or do any of the basic bullshit that multiplayer games do is a loving idiot.

4. Multi-crew functionality is hosed. Turrets don't get reliable HUD information, none of the controls make sense, the game isn't terribly fun, and frankly Zane should be embarrassed at how incredibly unusable the UI he designed is.

5. The Cutlass remains the greatest joke imaginable. It lands damaged, it shudders like an epileptic crack addict even when you're not touching the controls, the "updated" UI is unreadable without zooming in on different controls, the turret visibility is unusable, it flies like a total pig, and frankly it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

It's fun if you like griefing people. You can follow someone into their Constellation and them immediately steal their ship. That's about it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tried group play for an hour and a half. Whatever the gently caress CIG thinks they're doing with their "MMO" is sure as gently caress isn't working. Group ranged from 2 to I think 5 at peak.

1. Not once did our party ever get more than 3-4 people in the same instance. Usually you'd have a small group and then maybe 1-2 other folks in different servers.

2. The server max is 16. Sixteen loving people, and it can't even handle that without making GBS threads itself. To put that into context in order for Star Citizen to maintain a capacity equivalent to loving EVE Online's current population they would need each system to be able to handle 300 people assuming nobody clumped up. And that's assuming a player population of 30,000 for a game that likely has ten or twenty times that amount.

3. Whoever the gently caress thought releasing multi-crew ships without the ability of players to reliably group, pick instances together, see who is sharing their server, or do any of the basic bullshit that multiplayer games do is a loving idiot.

4. Multi-crew functionality is hosed. Turrets don't get reliable HUD information, none of the controls make sense, the game isn't terribly fun, and frankly Zane should be embarrassed at how incredibly unusable the UI he designed is.

5. The Cutlass remains the greatest joke imaginable. It lands damaged, it shudders like an epileptic crack addict even when you're not touching the controls, the "updated" UI is unreadable without zooming in on different controls, the turret visibility is unusable, it flies like a total pig, and frankly it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

It's fun if you like griefing people. You can follow someone into their Constellation and them immediately steal their ship. That's about it.

dreams

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Loiosh posted:

:boom:

trucutru posted:

-r/starcitizen, around 2018

You obviously meant to say rm -r /starcitizen — the command someone will use an excuse in 2018 when it turns out that there is nothing to release.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This game looks good, I'm going to buy it

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Amethyst posted:

This game looks good, I'm going to buy it

Same. I'll buy it when there is an actual game to buy.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This guy has just started streaming, and might be fun.

http://www.twitch.tv/burkeblack

quote:

☠ Clueless Space Pirate ☠ Star Citizen 2.0 Look ☠ !500

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

D_Smart posted:

No. GTFO.

Judging by the videos I've watched today, this game will be approximately ten million times better than universal combat or battlecruiser A.D or whatever you're calling your piece of poo poo non game these days.

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

what do you mean I touched the poop

I just spent like 20 minutes looking through posts trying to find what gave me the impression you took real personal offense when the PTU 2.0 was released despite claims that it was vaporware, but since I can find it, my argument is weak and I am lame. I retract my poop touching statement.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

like an epileptic crack addict

New thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

Judging by the videos I've watched today, this game will be approximately ten million times better than universal combat or battlecruiser A.D or whatever you're calling your piece of poo poo non game these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rn-lqkE58I

• Locked thread