Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
How do you collect Scout Rewards? Not seeing anywhere to pick them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Scout terminal, next to quest board.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
THANK YOU. Sometimes I don't know if this game is obtuse or if I just overlook things.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, I need to make sure I haven't totally lost the plot when it comes to this game. I'm at the first major boss in chapter 10, they're 1 level above me, and I'm getting my rear end kicked. I'm currently a level 9 Samurai Gunner waiting to move onto Duelist. I have up-to-date gear, and 100 Beam Resist on everyone. Everyone's defense is at 100. My Arts are up to date and freshly upgraded, for all three members of my party. The boss has leveled down at least once already.

I'm still getting wrecked. I don't know what the gently caress I'm missing or why I'm so goddamn awful at this game. It hurts my head so much. What am I doing wrong?

Louisgod posted:

THANK YOU. Sometimes I don't know if this game is obtuse or if I just overlook things.

It's not just you. This game was kind of rushed, and it really shows in how much QA missed or didn't even get a chance to address. There's a lot of design flaws and weird bullshit in the game that I think it just came out half-baked in some parts.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
don't try to lecture alien races on the cycle of revenge -> hate :(

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just did a million-damage Overdrive. Hard to find something with enough HP that won't flatten you instantly on foot.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, I need to make sure I haven't totally lost the plot when it comes to this game. I'm at the first major boss in chapter 10, they're 1 level above me, and I'm getting my rear end kicked. I'm currently a level 9 Samurai Gunner waiting to move onto Duelist. I have up-to-date gear, and 100 Beam Resist on everyone. Everyone's defense is at 100. My Arts are up to date and freshly upgraded, for all three members of my party. The boss has leveled down at least once already.

I'm still getting wrecked. I don't know what the gently caress I'm missing or why I'm so goddamn awful at this game. It hurts my head so much. What am I doing wrong?

Chapter 10 you should be in a bunch of flying skells. I'm not sure if its even possible on foot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Uh so on this murder mystery quest I found Gerome with a bomb on him

Is this a choice that's going to kill him if I don't trust him?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, does boosting accuracy matter, like, at all? I always ignore it in favor of pumping pure damage and attack.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ohtsam posted:

Chapter 10 you should be in a bunch of flying skells. I'm not sure if its even possible on foot.

The fight with Ga Jiang? That looks like it should be done on foot. It kicked me out of my Skell when I tried to use them.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Louisgod posted:

The game is obtuse. You'd think the scout terminal would be in the barracks room with all the other player avatars you can scout and the other online component terminal.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also I'm on chapter 9 and still don't really get on-foot overdrives, is this ever gonna come back to bite me? in skells I have 'em hashed out pretty okay but on-foot they just end so quickly!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pollyanna posted:

The fight with Ga Jiang? That looks like it should be done on foot. It kicked me out of my Skell when I tried to use them.
You're on chapter 9. Make sure you're killing the mooks first, using the start menu to tell your party to focus on your target which should be a mook, and maybe take a look at any AOE arts you may have been ignoring because they usually get you killed in normal fights. If you're still under their level even after the mulligan prompt you're pretty low in general, and as much as some people like to preach that level doesn't mean a lot, I think the qualifier is "compared to XC" as equaling the enemy's level seems like a huge equalizer if you aren't deep into gear and augments and art builds.

Looper posted:

also I'm on chapter 9 and still don't really get on-foot overdrives, is this ever gonna come back to bite me? in skells I have 'em hashed out pretty okay but on-foot they just end so quickly!
I think it kind of counts on them being short cooldown boosts for 95% of the population. I think you either need the long overdrive skill, or enough max TP for a second overdrive nearly immediately to be able to have enough time to bootstrap enough color change stuff or whatever to replenish time.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
You'll need to learn to utilize overdrive for the last boss

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Looper posted:

yeeeah theres a big mandatory foot battle coming up soooo it might help if you figure out how it works a -little bit-, main thing is dont just slam out the same color over and over, you get different bonuses by swapping from one color to another, i.e. green art to yellow art or whatever.
I don't have a list handy and barely understand them myself but apparently the right color combo arts setup lets you get ridiculous infinite overdrives with damage in the bajillions.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I feel like I only half understand any given thing in this game. I'm still having fun and nothing has seemed too difficult so far, but I could probably be a million times better than I am if I just understood the mechanics 100%. Like, what does Overdrive even do?

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Looper posted:

Overdrive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungSk06eous

Late game you can get augments that give 500tp when an art is used. Make infinite overdrive easy. Anyway the above video shows what overdrive is capable of, keep in mind its a lvl 36 character.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If you want to know the true power of Overdrive, you need quick TP generation of some sort. I'm pretty sure I can literally Overdrive forever with my current build, if HP holds out on both ends.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Joink posted:

Late game you can get augments that give 500tp when an art is used. Make infinite overdrive easy. Anyway the above video shows what overdrive is capable of, keep in mind its a lvl 36 character.

oh my

I'll just save this for later...

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, Murderess is kind of a jerk.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I wish Ghost Walker was tied to dual swords and not dual guns. It's a REALLY overpowered art.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MechaX posted:

Seriously. It's bad enough in an RPG when a party character is obviously out to betray and kill you. It takes it to another level when they outright say it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you kinda have to admire the white whale/BLADE's complete and utter lack of any kind of mental screening

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MechaX posted:

But she's so dreamy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
murderess is probably the best female character in the game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tipme posted:

You'll need to learn to utilize overdrive for the last boss

Not really.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Neat, hadn't seen one of these before. If the Orphean can make this kinda stuff why the gently caress do they not sell it in town?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
So, did a battery of testing on skells and it seems that M-atk doesn't improve art damage on skells. Least on the arts I tested it on. It just affects autoattack damage. I assume R-atk is similar. I'd appreciate it if other people tried to test it as it seems somewhat silly.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Joink posted:

Videos like this just show that I have no idea how to play this game. My overdrives get like... 6.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Is a light evasion build Skell superior to heavier armor for the endgame? I'm getting trounced pretty easily by huge attacks from Level 55 Xe-doms and the level 62 Tyrant giant bug doing about 7-9k damage per hit. Anything that size class around level 55-60 beats me pretty handily. It seems like it would be better to evade those hits rather than tanking them. Or maybe I should be spamming the appropriate element shield per boss? My medium level 50 Skell has ~580 Armor and ~90 Evasion.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Speaking of Skells, I assume that once I hit level 30, the starter Skell pretty much goes right into the trash bin or is just cheap fodder for a squaddie while I save up for another level 30 frame? There isn't any way to upgrade the base frame of the starter Skell, it seems like. So do I just go buy another?

Obviously I'll need to do some buying later on for the whole team, but I'm curious if the starter Skell can be upgraded to parity with its level 30 model brother, partially because I got the starter at like level 28 and so I'm not too far off from having to deal with this. :v:

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

brainwrinkle posted:

Is a light evasion build Skell superior to heavier armor for the endgame? I'm getting trounced pretty easily by huge attacks from Level 55 Xe-doms and the level 62 Tyrant giant bug doing about 7-9k damage per hit. Anything that size class around level 55-60 beats me pretty handily. It seems like it would be better to evade those hits rather than tanking them. Or maybe I should be spamming the appropriate element shield per boss? My medium level 50 Skell has ~580 Armor and ~90 Evasion.

Engame seems to be just getting strong enough to one hit anything before it one hits you.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

MechaX posted:

Lao's worse, and not nearly as entertaining.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SpaceDrake posted:

Speaking of Skells, I assume that once I hit level 30, the starter Skell pretty much goes right into the trash bin or is just cheap fodder for a squaddie while I save up for another level 30 frame? There isn't any way to upgrade the base frame of the starter Skell, it seems like. So do I just go buy another?

Pretty much. Throw it on another party member until you can get everyone a 30.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Looper posted:

murderess is probably the best female character in the game

Plus she's the only one you can dress up in ridiculous outfits and have it still fit the character.

Well, her and L.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Irina is cool and I like her.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Obviously I'll need to do some buying later on for the whole team, but I'm curious if the starter Skell can be upgraded to parity with its level 30 model brother, partially because I got the starter at like level 28 and so I'm not too far off from having to deal with this. :v:

No, since frames can only use parts of their level or below. Just stuff it onto an AI member for some extra hp or so they don't spend their entire time walking in lava or falling off cliffs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Also, does boosting accuracy matter, like, at all? I always ignore it in favor of pumping pure damage and attack.

The max level is 60. There are enemies up to level 99. Yes, you need to boost accuracy sooner or later.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Terper posted:

The max level is 60. There are enemies up to level 99. Yes, you need to boost accuracy sooner or later.

Even before end game, if you want to hit far outside your level, you need to buff accuracy. Quite a few enemies and tyrants also have a sort of enrage they'll use at low HP that will increase their evasion too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I just did Nagi's second affinity quest, and the dude just turned off his anime inhibitors. :allears: I really like this game.

• Locked thread