Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

if metal bat teamed up with golden ball they would be unstoppable. Golden ball pitches with his sling shot and then metal bat bats 'em back, doubling or even tripling their speed and power

Uh, that's not how physics works, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Even if metal bat was able to deliver 3 times the kinetic force against the ball that's coming at him he needs to overcome the initial momentum. Which would leave the ball going at twice it's original speed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

if metal bat teamed up with golden ball they would be unstoppable. Golden ball pitches with his sling shot and then metal bat bats 'em back, doubling or even tripling their speed and power

Their power at killing Golden Ball would be unrivalled

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Dang, you sure owned that guy in this thread about a series where a guy jumped from the moon to earth.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Dang, you sure owned that guy in this thread about a series where a guy jumped from the moon to earth.

A very physically accurate jump from the moon to earth.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Fighting spirit.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Burbo posted:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Genocyber posted:

A very physically accurate jump from the moon to earth.

He has the leg strength, I've seen his squats.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

El Burbo posted:

Imagine the pug saying it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh, no, yeah, I get what Garou's talkin' about. It applies to a lot of heroes. Hell, it got brought up in the Boros fight. Most heroes pretty much are good at once thing and pretty much focus solely on that. Hell, even Saitama is like that, only on a far grander scale. Given that Tank Top Master has claimed that he only really needed a single strike to take down a monster, most of them are just too strong to have had to think up anything else. They're good against fighting tough monsters who are more about trading blows, and less against people like Garou (or Sonic) who have technique and speed. Anti-monster, not anti-person, and whatnot.

Pri Pri Prisoners, Tank Top Master, and Metal Bat pretty much just rely on pure power to destroy things.
Atomic Samurai is pretty much the same, I guess.
Bang at least has the presence to use martial arts to deflect / dodge stuff. I guess Sonic is a bit like this too, only on a lesser scale.

From what we've seen in Murata's comic, Genos and Tatsumaki are the only ones to do more than a single thing; Tatsumaki can do a ton of poo poo with her abilities and Genos has his incinerator blast as well as his hand-to-hand combat.

You forgot Child Emperor, the super genius kid with a backpack of toys known for strategy and tactics.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

You forgot Child Emperor, the super genius kid with a backpack of toys known for strategy and tactics.

Can the backpack fly????????

Honestly haven't really seen much of what Child Emperor can do. We do have him with spider legs coming out of his backpack during the Math side-story but he didn't get to fight then.

He probably does have a jetpack in there, but until I see it I'm not gonna take it for granted.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

drilldo squirt posted:

The sheer versatility of the tank top doubles the power of the punch! The aesthetically pleasing ping sound a metal bat makes doubles the power of the blow!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

has there always been this much swearing? I don't care but it's really striking me as odd, I can't recall any swearing in the rest of the manga, but my memory might just be bad.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Jerkface posted:

The sheer versatility of the tank top doubles the power of the punch!

the tank top cult always makes me laugh, god

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

has there always been this much swearing? I don't care but it's really striking me as odd, I can't recall any swearing in the rest of the manga, but my memory might just be bad.

Well they are delinquents and it didn't strike me as odd, none of the curses came off forced. I honestly didn't notice until you pointed them out, so tonally they were doing something right.

It was a high-stress situation and both fighters were losing their cool.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

It's really down to the translator how they want to present the work. Japan doesn't have the same swears translating so fluently, so basically in any work you could write a character to swear as much or as little as you'd want. It comes down to tone and being able to present it reasonably.

This is also why you can read fan-translation of Dragonball Z and find Goku saying "gently caress, poo poo, oval office and bitch" a lot.

For reference, unless you specifically see something from this list it is probably the translator inserting his own edginess into the script.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well they are delinquents and it didn't strike me as odd, none of the curses came off forced. I honestly didn't notice until you pointed them out, so tonally they were doing something right.

It was a high-stress situation and both fighters were losing their cool.
Yeah, though it does kind of come down to audience of your medium. :v: For a webcomic, it works but for printed press the language has to be toned down without seeming forced for sure.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Do the tank top guys count as actual martial artists?

I only ever ask since ONE/Murata seem to be really playing up the difference between technique vs raw power

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Blockhouse posted:

In reality, dudes who practice grappling and strikes would qualify in terms of CQC ability but this is magical Kung-Fu martial arts so no, they don't count as having a skill or technique because they don't have flamboyant poses and colors gushing out of their fists.

I think the only other 'real' hand-to-hand martial artist we've witness at work outside Bang-n-the-gang is SNEK.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't believe this is an ultimateking translation like the vast majority.
It could be but his last thread in the /a/ archive was for the previous chapter.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

It's likely that Metal Bat is talking in a more informal/casual manner or maybe kansai-ben (which japanese delinquents in manga are sometimes given) and that's how the translator chose to interpret it for English speakers. If he is speaking perfectly standard Japanese, then yeah, the swearing is weird.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually Garo was the pottymouth in this translation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Blockhouse posted:

I only ever ask since ONE/Murata seem to be really playing up the difference between technique vs raw power
The Tank Topper Army's just a bunch of bodybuilders, they're pure power.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think all heroes who don't rely on anything else (weapons, cybernetics, psychic powers) are labeled as fighters, but obviously there are clear differences between, say, Bang and the other power-type S Classes.

And then a lot of people who rely on weapons are pretty much the same as the power fighters.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

The Tank Topper Army's just a bunch of bodybuilders, they're pure power.

But are they members of the Body Improvement Club?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

oilatsnep posted:

But are they members of the Body Improvement Club?

They lack justice.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think all heroes who don't rely on anything else (weapons, cybernetics, psychic powers) are labeled as fighters, but obviously there are clear differences between, say, Bang and the other power-type S Classes.

And then a lot of people who rely on weapons are pretty much the same as the power fighters.

And then there's Pig God

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Goons' fascination with Pig God strikes me as a sort of nepotism.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

:spergin: Pretty sure they're just average dudes who wear tank tops and utilise the freedom and mobility afforded by a tank top to train to a level beyond your average human.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Yeah, they squat.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

tsob posted:

Is there something weird with the mangamaru site? Every time I've clicked a link there and even if I just try to go to the homepage I end up on a completely blank white page.

I have the same issue. I just go to the Japanese site. It's all unreadable to me either way so it makes no difference.

I always liked Metalbat as a character concept and I'm really glad his actual character has lived up so solidly to expectations. Of course this puts a lot of pressure on Watchdog Man but for now I'm just going to love how awesome this kid is. I'm glad he gets such a good fight against Garou.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

One thing I really like is that while only a couple of heroes, like Tatsumaki, have straight up super powers, ONE does a great job of really distinguishing all the S Class from each other as a superhero team.

Metal Bat obviously has hidden depths of incredible intellect. He is likely the second or third highest graded student in his class despite his attitude. He needs to be smart to help his dumb friend pass the big test so he won't get kicked out of school. He's also the one who figured out Melgalazad's weakness.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I really hope Watchdog Man is just a dog with a human-face ball in his mouth to not get accused of being a monster.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm mad Metal Bat lost

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Metal Bat's sister is Blast.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

I'm mad Metal Bat lost

He hasn't lost yet!!!!! Besides, Metal Bat was already pretty banged up. Therefore, it was not a fair fight.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Eyeshield 21 was also a work very much about technique beating raw power, and the combination of both being the absolute ideal. It might be something that Murata is just drawn to drawing.

mabels big day posted:

I'm mad Metal Bat lost

If you think this fight is over, then you've obviously very much underestimated the power of FIGHTING SPIRIT! ORRAAAAAA!!!!:ssj:

Seriously though, this fight isn't even close to over at this point. He's gonna stop Garo and the centipede in one go in another 3 chapters or so. You just watch.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Seriously though, this fight isn't even close to over at this point. He's gonna stop Garo and the centipede in one go in another 3 chapters or so. You just watch.

I want him to win so bad, even though I know he can't... They've really done a great job at making Garo a total unstoppable jerk who you hate, and Metal Bat is the outclassed bruiser who just. Won't. Go. Down.

I really hope he gets some sort of victory out of this! Like the monster centipede intervening, blasting Garo somewhere else or something, Metal Bat gets powered up since his sister is threatened or something(?), oneshots the centipede, collapses, fight over. Garo still feels ultra-smug, the day is saved, and people can believe in their hearts that powered-up Metal Bat totally would've beat Garo.

I believe :(

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It doesn't have to be Saitama that beats everyone, especially considering that this is something that didn't appear in ONE's original. Hell, this could just be ONE's way of giving us the Metal Bat spin-off we all want. They could even make it so that Saitama takes out the centipede so Metal Bat can go all-out against Garo, since he understands what it means to want to have a good fight.

I... I just really want Metal Bat to win this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SpacePig posted:

I... I just really want Metal Bat to win this one.
Same, but he has to lose here. Doesn't mean he isn't going to go out with a bang as is typical of characters fueled by manly spirit, willpower, and love for their little sisters.