Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Plinkey posted:

All Chili belongs either on rice, angle hair spaghetti or a hot dog, topped with red onions, sharp cheddar and sour cream :colbert:

No.

cash crab posted:

Oh, God, speaking of moms and cooking, I am going to go see my parents for a week on Friday (:buddy:) and she makes these pierogis that are SO GOOD but look SO WEIRD and they're always really gigantic, like the size of large oranges. Also, she will be sending me home with cabbage rolls, which are the ultimate AFP.

The one saving grace of PA food besides desserts are pierogies. Ever since I've moved here, I've only eaten pierogies made from scratch dough and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

cash crab posted:

Oh, God, speaking of moms and cooking, I am going to go see my parents for a week on Friday (:buddy:) and she makes these pierogis that are SO GOOD but look SO WEIRD and they're always really gigantic, like the size of large oranges. Also, she will be sending me home with cabbage rolls, which are the ultimate AFP.

wanna meet that mom and have cabbage rolls tbh

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Arivia posted:

There's chopped onion in there.

Yeah, I'm saying to put more (raw) chopped onion on top. This is the recipe I usually make when I want to switch things up, and it's pretty darn good served as shown, though sometimes I catch poo poo for it because Texans have all sorts of ~opinions~ on chili.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Plan Z posted:

Chickpeas, butternut squash, kale, jarred Korma sauce, and a lot of water.

I don't know what jarred Korma sauce is, but... pass.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

My first reaction, as someone with bad taste who doesn't like chili was 'Oh that doesn't look too bad.' But then I remembered that it's supposed to be chili and not spaghetti. Good lord that's awful.

I looked at and thought "that looks like dull spag bog but I'd eat it?" and then read it was chilli.

Don't you normally eat chilli with rice or something? I don't eat it but I'm pretty sure it's not the same as spaghetti bolognese other than they both have mince in them.

Also this thread is great and I just discovered it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I looked at and thought "that looks like dull spag bog but I'd eat it?" and then read it was chilli.

Don't you normally eat chilli with rice or something? I don't eat it but I'm pretty sure it's not the same as spaghetti bolognese other than they both have mince in them.

Cincinnati chili is over spaghetti and topped with cheese.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

You're not on your way to Western PA are you?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
mac and cheese? no, maggots and cheese!

hmm...

artichoke, anyone?

where goes pale shrimp, pale shits follow

:confused:

Ah, kebab! Wait...

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Do you all of you live in PA? And no. And you can't have any, they are all mine. I will be sure to get a picture of them after defrosting*, though, as I'm sure they will be soupy.

*: :v: Six nine hour plane ride!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mmmmm, dry pine needles.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

Do you all of you live in PA? And no. And you can't have any, they are all mine. I will be sure to get a picture of them after defrosting*, though, as I'm sure they will be soupy.

*: :v: Six nine hour plane ride!

I'm in Pittsburgh.

If you're coming to/near Pittsburgh let me know, I'll buy you weird ugly food

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I think less of these people for not at least acknowledging how ugly this dish looks. (Also for misspelling the name of the recipe in the image.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Those look like very stiff noodles.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh.

If you're coming to/near Pittsburgh let me know, I'll buy you weird ugly food

:smith: I don't own a passport. Tell me about the weirdest local food you have, though.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

I think less of these people for not at least acknowledging how ugly this dish looks. (Also for misspelling the name of the recipe in the image.)

:stare:
Yup, I thought it was caterpillars.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

:stare:
Yup, I thought it was caterpillars.

Serves him right for being such a weirdo. "Look mate, it's survival! I can't waste calories killing my prey or doing any kind of prep! Just pop live insects in your mouth like candy!"

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cash crab posted:

:smith: I don't own a passport. Tell me about the weirdest local food you have, though.

Probably Primanti Bros sandwiches (but they are delicious).

Or Scrapple, but that's more of an Eastern PA thing.

Maybe Hog Maw, but that's just stuffed pig stomach.

Plinkey has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Dec 15, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RareAcumen posted:

My first reaction, as someone with bad taste who doesn't like chili was 'Oh that doesn't look too bad.' But then I remembered that it's supposed to be chili and not spaghetti. Good lord that's awful.

OwlFancier posted:

Y'all were right the first time, Cincinatti chili is some midwestern as gently caress spaghetti sauce that somebody mixed up with chili because you could get it on hotdogs. Midwesterners are either way too polite or else completely dazzled by the idea of teaspoons of spices to correct them about the chili part.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zedprime posted:

Y'all were right the first time, Cincinatti chili is some midwestern as gently caress spaghetti sauce that somebody mixed up with chili because you could get it on hotdogs. Midwesterners are either way too polite or else completely dazzled by the idea of teaspoons of spices to correct them about the chili part.

I like chili, but golly it's too spicy. Better replace any real spices with cinnamon, cloves, sugar, and chocolate. The closer to tepid pudding the better. Mmm mm the only thing that could make it better is plain spaghetti noodles.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

This must be what it feels like to be triggered.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Danger Mahoney posted:

I like chili, but golly it's too spicy. Better replace any real spices with cinnamon, cloves, sugar, and chocolate. The closer to tepid pudding the better. Mmm mm the only thing that could make it better is plain spaghetti noodles.

Cincinnati chili seriously sounds like the grossest thing in the world

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Nah I'm sure it's fine. I am a gross, insufferable chili nerd who thinks anything that isn't cubed steak stewed in various peppers and maybe masa isn't really chili. Don't take my word for it, better to try it out for yourself.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Skyline chat. Its not cornbread white german midwesterners afraid of southwestern spice, and its super weird how passive aggressive you guys are getting about it. cincinatti chilli was from two immigrant macedonians using greek seasoning on a meat sauce.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

EorayMel posted:

where goes pale shrimp, pale shits follow

:crossarms: Pale shrimp is uncooked shrimp. Said that, I would after throwing it on a pan with a bit of butter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Danger Mahoney posted:

That's the funny part, its not even a conscious midwestern corruption of chili, the origin story is basically a couple immigrants bringing greek spaghetti sauce over, serving it on hotdogs and asking "is chili dog yes?" and then figuring well that makes this spaghetti chili!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The ultimate test of the no chili rules policy. This is the case study they make you do in year one of chili law school.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Desperado Bones posted:

:crossarms: Pale shrimp is uncooked shrimp. Said that, I would after throwing it on a pan with a bit of butter.

Yeah, I think that pic is pretty clearly mid-prep and not mid-meal.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Cincinnati Chili sounds in the same league as Cleveland Steamer.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Plinkey posted:

[points] This is mine now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Plinkey posted:

I saw a torso sized sandwich filled chicken tenders covered in buffalo sauce at first. And now I'm hungry.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwich brothers laugh at your battery size comparison. I've had this one before, it's great.

E: Apparently they ship they sandwich makings now https://www.goldbely.com/primanti-bros

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

augias posted:

Skyline chat. Its not cornbread white german midwesterners afraid of southwestern spice, and its super weird how passive aggressive you guys are getting about it. cincinatti chilli was from two immigrant macedonians using greek seasoning on a meat sauce.

i think only seven people in this thread know the history of all the food :chillpill:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Plinkey posted:

Sandwich brothers laugh at your battery size comparison. I've had this one before, it's great.

E: Apparently they ship they sandwich makings now https://www.goldbely.com/primanti-bros

What's in it?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think my favorite baffling regional American food is "American chop suey."

I'm sure the origin of the name must be the whitest story ever told.

It's delicious, and so is Cincinnati chili.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

What's in it?

Burger patty, fries, coleslaw, tomatoes, provolone cheese on Italian bread.

I think it's 'the pitts' burger

Plinkey has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Dec 15, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Tomorrow is $2 Taco Night.

I will take pictures for people who like Tacos or who like spending $2 on things.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

[points] This is mine now.

I could walk 20 minutes and get one of these right now, 24 hours a day.

Be jealous.

(I've been to Primanti Brothers once in all the years I've been in Pittsburgh, and it was actually just this summer on a whim.)

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Rollersnake posted:

I think my favorite baffling regional American food is "American chop suey."

I'm sure the origin of the name must be the whitest story ever told.

It's delicious, and so is Cincinnati chili.

American Chop Suey is disgusting. My mom used to cook that garbage for my brothers and I when we were kids, and it was just bland not from the midwest and looked like vomit.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The weird thing about American Chop Suey is that it's just macaroni with tomato sauce and hamburger, but we had to give it some weird '50s cookbook name.

cash crab posted:

Do you all of you live in PA?

Centre County.

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Basically all of us live in PA, yeah. PA food can be really good it's just the savory dutch stuff that sucks

• Locked thread