Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Hmmm looks like I have a choice between the Aurora and Mustang starter packages. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Well Forbes has has figured it out

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dirty Hairy posted:

I just spent like 20 minutes looking through posts trying to find what gave me the impression you took real personal offense when the PTU 2.0 was released despite claims that it was vaporware, but since I can find it, my argument is weak and I am lame. I retract my poop touching statement.

oh its no big deal friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Shitizens claim the article gets many things wrongs, but won't elaborate on it. I wonder why.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

Hmmm looks like I have a choice between the Aurora and Mustang starter packages. Thoughts?

you could donate toward my student loan debt

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Eonwe posted:

you could donate toward my student loan debt

That won't get me a video game. This game looks solid as hell, from what I've seen.

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

That won't get me a video game. This game looks solid as hell, from what I've seen.

If you must buy a star citizen package, get what is absolutely the cheapest. You can earn (read: steal) all the other ships in game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

well ill actually have my student loans paid off before this comes out, and then I can buy you the game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tried group play for an hour and a half. Whatever the gently caress CIG thinks they're doing with their "MMO" is sure as gently caress isn't working. Group ranged from 2 to I think 5 at peak.

1. Not once did our party ever get more than 3-4 people in the same instance. Usually you'd have a small group and then maybe 1-2 other folks in different servers.

2. The server max is 16. Sixteen loving people, and it can't even handle that without making GBS threads itself. To put that into context in order for Star Citizen to maintain a capacity equivalent to loving EVE Online's current population they would need each system to be able to handle 300 people assuming nobody clumped up. And that's assuming a player population of 30,000 for a game that likely has ten or twenty times that amount.

3. Whoever the gently caress thought releasing multi-crew ships without the ability of players to reliably group, pick instances together, see who is sharing their server, or do any of the basic bullshit that multiplayer games do is a loving idiot.

4. Multi-crew functionality is hosed. Turrets don't get reliable HUD information, none of the controls make sense, the game isn't terribly fun, and frankly Zane should be embarrassed at how incredibly unusable the UI he designed is.

5. The Cutlass remains the greatest joke imaginable. It lands damaged, it shudders like an epileptic crack addict even when you're not touching the controls, the "updated" UI is unreadable without zooming in on different controls, the turret visibility is unusable, it flies like a total pig, and frankly it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

It's fun if you like griefing people. You can follow someone into their Constellation and them immediately steal their ship. That's about it.

:drat:

i like that they probably cant even get 6 people online in the same server, let alone 16. not to mention their super sad end goal of 40 lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Amethyst posted:

Judging by the videos I've watched today, this game will be approximately ten million times better than universal combat or battlecruiser A.D or whatever you're calling your piece of poo poo non game these days.
it doesn't matter what you multiply zero by.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:drat:

i like that they probably cant even get 6 people online in the same server, let alone 16. not to mention their super sad end goal of 40 lol

Server selection technology is something that has never been tried before. You have no right to complain.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

trucutru posted:

Server selection technology is something that has never been tried before. You have no right to complain.

CiG plans to allow server selection, but only via a web browser plugin that can only be accessed on their website.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
S.C.H.E.M.A.T.A (formerly the BIG S.C.A.M) v 3.0 is up. 220+ pages and 46000 words of everything Star Citizen. self.starcitizen

submitted 14 hours ago * by IVIilitarusx2

quote:

Note: Please GOD do not gold this post!

Primary download link here: https://mega.nz/#!Ko1SxaLC!kHbtLy1J0fDfvrldjpBAXupaX2pf4dKS1SLTbwGWRDk

Secondary download link is available at the bottom of the post. Please only use the secondary download link if the primary link fails, which it shouldn't.

For those who still remember, the BIG Star Citizen Admirer's Manual was a single document source on general Star Citizen information, lore and feature discussion. Effectively single, comprehensive document that touches on surface aspects of every facet of Star Citizen.

I was unable to update the document for a year due to starting university and a generally watch-and-wait mentality to Star Citizen as I can't run it on my PC.

quote:

[–]outline01 128 points 13 hours ago
Well, poo poo, I'm sending you a new computer then.

quote:

[–]al987321Towel 95 points 13 hours ago
Don't tell me what to do! Gilded.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I wonder what things from the new Star Wars movie will be blatantly stolen if it turns out good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xaerael posted:

I wonder what things from the new Star Wars movie will be blatantly stolen if it turns out good.

They'll get JJ Abrams to replace Chris and actually make a finished product.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

CiG plans to allow server selection, but only via a web browser plugin that can only be accessed on their website.

Will it be an IE6-only ActiveX controller?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

What makes this game better than EVE? posted:

If you are searching for the player centric economy and the endgame to get systems and be the king, this game wont be the right for you.
For everything else, but in first person with mechanics, that EvE can only dream of with their "spreadsheets controls everything" mentality.
It is already and will always be lightyears ahead of everything that EvE has done. Eve is old, a Titan has less polygons than the faces of the main characters in SC. It is just some lego bricks flying around in space with gameplay generated out of spreadsheets and buttonpresses.

It is totally different to everything that EvE has, especially due to its first person universe instead of near to "turn based" fighting.
Every game mechanic alone (except perhaps the economy itself) has much more depth than the whole EvE combined. Yes, it is complicated, it is epically big....but it all exists only on spreadsheets. :)

At the end...which is better: Due to tech and mechanics SC wins. But "what is best" is a personal opinion. Some people love watching those lego bricks, which they imagine as being gigantic and like hammering on spreadsheets. I wasnt that type of guy.
I dont like character levelling skills and not being in real control of the space ship...in first person!

So, imagine more a wingcommancer meets freelancer meets arma fps kind of thing, but with everything having much more depth in its professions and game mechanics.
Repairing ships? No problem: Open a repair organisation (alone or with friends) and specialize on having ships, that offer their abilites to repair ships. These guys get hired, they fly there and repair the ship. They need to exchange damaged components/subcomponents, clean up hull breaches, reconstruct the structure, reconstruct the ship hull and being good at it, because being not good at it could cause problems with structural integrity.
-> Imagine such depth from many of the core professions. Mining needs a pilot that flies well, a scan operator, that scans and marks possible drill attempts, the mining laser guy hits the spot and takes care not to drill into a gas bubble or creating too much heat and whatnot and the guy down in the refinery that scoops in the debris with drones and tractorbeams and refines the material to get rid of unneccessary weight All that CAN be done by players, but you dont NEED to. You can also invest in employing NPCs on your ship to do it...but perhaps not as fast or as good as players can do.
These are just some "possibilities". Which sticks out is: Nearly nothing is just done by pressing a button and it automatically happens.
We will see, how that turns out to be appealing or not in various professions.

You see: Not much in common with EvE except the usual base of having economy, cargo hauling, resources, mining, bounty hunting, pirating....which nearly every space game has to a certain extend. Elite:Dangerous is doing similar...but it also is a different game.
All 3 have fans and WILLcontinue to have fans. Up to you what to prefer! :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Will it be an IE6-only ActiveX controller?

Close, Safari

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Close, Safari

As a day-to-day Mac user, my first thought was that you had flubbed the joke, but then I realised you meant Safari for Windows.

Now I'm having nightmares instead.

A game with no mechanics has more complex mechanics than what is arguably the most complex MMO on the market? Why is it that every time I see these comparisons, I can't help thinking that the person in question has never actually played a modern game, let alone the game they're comparing to?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Lesnick is certainly hilarious but I'd we could cool it on the fat people are Satan stuff that'd be nice. Namaste.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Mendrian posted:

Lesnick is certainly hilarious but I'd we could cool it on the fat people are Satan stuff that'd be nice. Namaste.

Speaking of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loxkBKRWixI

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

As a day-to-day Mac user, my first thought was that you had flubbed the joke, but then I realised you meant Safari for Windows.

Now I'm having nightmares instead.

A game with no mechanics has more complex mechanics than what is arguably the most complex MMO on the market? Why is it that every time I see these comparisons, I can't help thinking that the person in question has never actually played a modern game, let alone the game they're comparing to?

A true visionary would've built Star Citizen as a MAC-Only game, with a PC re-release 6 years later.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mendrian posted:

I don't know. Being Satan seems like it involves far too much running around for that comparison to work. Also, too much shape-shifting ability.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A true visionary would've built Star Citizen as a MAC-Only game, with a PC re-release 6 years later.

So kind of like old iD, but with less business sense? Weeeell… CRobber is no Carmack, but other than that, it would work.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6080267/#Comment_6080267

More Captain B'tak carebear rambling:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6082193/#Comment_6082193
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6082502/#Comment_6082502

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

I don't think most people are intentionally trying to fat shame. Some folks are genuinely concerned about how Ben's let himself go over the last few years (look at pictures of him from the Kickstarter days vs now), or they're just taking pot shots at him because he's proven himself to be a reprehensible person who also doesn't like cattes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dirty Hairy posted:

I don't think most people are intentionally trying to fat shame. Some folks are genuinely concerned about how Ben's let himself go over the last few years (look at pictures of him from the Kickstarter days vs now), or they're just taking pot shots at him because he's proven himself to be a reprehensible person who also doesn't like cattes.

Watch out, inciting such discussion could earn you a 10 year ban/probation from Lesnick!

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Watch out, inciting such discussion could earn you a 10 year ban/probation from Lesnick!

This is why I always identify as a dog on the brown sea.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/305347/something-has-been-formicing-me

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

lol, I can't believe space sim gamers are sci fi nerds who like to playfully speculate about sci fi lore. Hilarious poo poo as always my man.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This tattoo is real.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

spacetoaster posted:

This tattoo is real.

To be fair, if he falls on you...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

This tattoo is real.

that poor wedding ring

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

This tattoo is real.

Neither of them look like they are 100% sure the tattoo was a good idea

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

This tattoo is real.

lol whats the fold under his tattoo

that isnt his elbow....right?

e: woah if it is wheres his shoulder

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mendrian posted:

fat people are satan

you fatty

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To be fair, if he falls on you...

Holy cow!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Amethyst posted:

lol, I can't believe space sim gamers are sci fi nerds who like to playfully speculate about sci fi lore. Hilarious poo poo as always my man.

Someone needs to respond to this man with "if you read the bible it clearly states the universe was created for man and so we must, by divine right, destroy any other civilization that has reared it's satanic head. These other cultures are inherently evil and should not be given a chance to corrupt the human race."

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

captain b'lovely grammar...

"intrrupting"
"lack of preys"
"compared to their targets, as i see it......"
"so, at least to my viewing"
"If those players PVP are too many as compared to their targets(preys), millions of years of evolution in nature taught they both would get exinct"

Does he wear a helmet when he types out this poo poo?

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 15, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I do feel bad sometimes for :lesnick: but then I remember what a piece of poo poo he is for allowing the poo poo that gets posted on the official forums and I no longer feel bad.

Get hosed you fat poo poo. I can't wait to see this game fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6082712/#Comment_6082712

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6083105/#Comment_6083105

• Locked thread