Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Is there a particular cost effective way to get lots of spare guns? Naval cannons, tank guns, gatling guns, whatever. Just lots and lots of guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Luminaflare posted:

Is there a particular cost effective way to get lots of spare guns? Naval cannons, tank guns, gatling guns, whatever. Just lots and lots of guns.

Post reported to NSA

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Actually, model-specific question: does anyone do a good F-14 Tomcat with working variable sweep (preferably 1:48 but I'm not fussy)? All the ones I can see on Amazon seem to be stuck in either low- or high-speed configuration.

Ditto the Tu-22M, Su-24 or Mirage G4/8, or really, any swing-wing design whose unswept wings stick out at ~90 degrees.

Wow, I was just about to post something related to this. Last week, one of my bosses saw me looking at this thread and talked to me about models for a while. Turns out he's been building (mostly WWII armor) for 20 years or so. I came in to work this morning and there's a bag of weathering pigments on my desk and a 1/32 scale Tamiya F-14. Dude tells me "Oh, man, I'm never going to get around to building that. Merry Xmas."

Anyway, after looking at it, it's an amazingly engineered kit. Fully functional swing wings, metal bolts and all that. Really awesome model and I'm almost intimidated by it.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

Wow, I was just about to post something related to this. Last week, one of my bosses saw me looking at this thread and talked to me about models for a while. Turns out he's been building (mostly WWII armor) for 20 years or so. I came in to work this morning and there's a bag of weathering pigments on my desk and a 1/32 scale Tamiya F-14. Dude tells me "Oh, man, I'm never going to get around to building that. Merry Xmas."

Anyway, after looking at it, it's an amazingly engineered kit. Fully functional swing wings, metal bolts and all that. Really awesome model and I'm almost intimidated by it.

Tamiya's F-14 is a great kit, also huge!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Molentik posted:

Tamiya's F-14 is a great kit, also huge!

Yeah dude, this thing is taking up like 1/4 of my desk.

After looking at the sprues on my lunch break, I'm actually pretty terrified to build this model. I used to build warhammer/machine models, and have actually won trophies for that, but this feel like a completely different world. Advise? Should I build up a couple of WWII fighters first?

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 14, 2015

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Just to check, we're working on the crappire in January, aren't we?

I found a couple of old tools (blade and brushes), and bought some poly cement, but I'm definitely gonna have to get some paints at some point too. No idea what I'll need yet!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Brovine posted:

I found a couple of old tools (blade and brushes), and bought some poly cement, but I'm definitely gonna have to get some paints at some point too. No idea what I'll need yet!

Correct!

If you get the urge before then you can always just take pictures, post them in January, and pretend like you're doing it with everybody else. :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Luminaflare posted:

Get some guns, then cast resin copies of them?

(Jealous of your Saint's Row tag.)

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Pretty sure I actually suggested Airfix as an alternative when I picked the kit. If I didn't, I meant to. Far, far better someone gets that than just not participate. The spirit of crap____ is inclusive. :buddy:

Thank god for that, I was coming up with nothing, too.

Brovine posted:

Normally, I'd say some wire cutters for trimming things off of sprunes, and some grades of sandpaper. You might also want some of that fancy liquid cement if you can find it.

But this is the GROUP BUILD. ALL ARE WELCOME! ALL ARE WELCOME!

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Ditto the Tu-22M, Su-24 or Mirage G4/8, or really, any swing-wing design whose unswept wings stick out at ~90 degrees.

Trumpeter makes a decent 1/48 Su-24M but it costs waaaaay too much for a 1:48 jet, ditto about 1:72 Tu-22M. If you want a good and affordable swing-wing jet, I'd recommend Revell's new Tornado IDS (this one). It's one amazing model, only drawbacks are just one decal option and a lack of weapons but you have aftermarket options for that.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Normally, I'd say some wire cutters for trimming things off of sprunes, and some grades of sandpaper. You might also want some of that fancy liquid cement if you can find it.

Already got some fairly fine cutters, sandpaper is easy enough to acquire the odd bit of from work. Already bought liquid poly cement.

I built various airfix stuff when I was considerably younger, as well as a bit of miniature painting, so I still have various things left over from then. It's been a while though. The group crapbuilds seemed like a good way to get back into things.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I looked up how to use Micro set/sol, and it made putting on my decals really easy. I'm surprised how much happier I am with my model now that the decals are on. After I seal the decals with some more Finish, I'm guessing I should wait to put the canopy on until after a matte coat? I can't imagine the canopy would look too good with matte over it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
After I clouded the canopy on my Tempest, I just mask my canopy before I clear coat.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ether Frenzy posted:

If I was buying someone an airbrushing setup for modelbuilding (mostly vintage racing cars/some military stuff), what else (like accessories/hoses/whatever) would they need to get going from zero besides:
the compressor: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JLVM5U
the airbrush gun: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQKFAI or http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Revolution-Action-Large-Gravity/dp/B000BQS3UW

And are these good/bad options for someone who's skilled at painting by hand/dexterous enough to learn to wield one, but has never used an airbrush outside of Photoshop?
Seemed to be along the lines of what I saw recommended in the first 5 or 8 pages of the thread, but that's obviously from a few years ago.

Anybody? I want to get this ordered for my nephew, but don't want to leave him in the lurch with not enough equipment to be able to get going over his xmas break.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ether Frenzy posted:

Anybody? I want to get this ordered for my nephew, but don't want to leave him in the lurch with not enough equipment to be able to get going over his xmas break.

The compressor is good, it's decently quiet but the biggest drawback is that there's no gauge to measure pressure but it hasn't really been too big of a problem for me. I actually wish that airbrush had been my starter one instead of the iwata knockoff I got (which is pretty good at laying down base coats tbf). You might want to check out Chicago airbrush supply, they'll sell the compressor and brush as a combo kit and they might throw in some cleaning solution and bristle brushes.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

jadebullet posted:

Well, despite the fact that I chose to model in 1:72 initially because I don't have much shelf space to display my models, so the smaller ones work perfectly, a fact which hasn't changed, I am now the owner of a Handley Page Victor bomber kit that I won at auction for $2.

I am terrified about how big this thing is going to end up being.

I too stay mostly in 1:72, then today I took a long, hard look at a 1:32 B-17G.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The compressor is good, it's decently quiet but the biggest drawback is that there's no gauge to measure pressure but it hasn't really been too big of a problem for me. I actually wish that airbrush had been my starter one instead of the iwata knockoff I got (which is pretty good at laying down base coats tbf). You might want to check out Chicago airbrush supply, they'll sell the compressor and brush as a combo kit and they might throw in some cleaning solution and bristle brushes.

I believe some people also recommend a tank, if you can afford it, so that the compressor isn't running the whole time you are brushing.

e: Possibly more important is getting a quality mask or respirator

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Cool, thanks. I'll check that place out and see if I can't figure out what accessories might be needed.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kibner posted:

I believe some people also recommend a tank, if you can afford it, so that the compressor isn't running the whole time you are brushing.

e: Possibly more important is getting a quality mask or respirator

Acrylics are theoretically far less noxious than other kinds of paint, but even so I've found that the Vallejo thinner kinda makes my nose burn. The airbrush cleaner, on the other hand, makes me cough uncontrollably.

So yes, mask. The one I have cost like $30 on amazon. But even pulling my shirt up over my nose seems to greatly reduce the irritation. We're talking about aerosolized particles, not some hideous organic compound like with lacquers.

Also, ventilation.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Excellent recommendations guys, appreciate it. I wouldn't have thought you needed a mask for something like this.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wouldn't even bother with Amazon really. Any local hardware store should have what you'd need. Pick up some light-duty painters masks for acrylic work, and a decent quality respirator with the right filters (for VOC's) if you want to spray lacquers or will be sanding resin.

Be very careful if you're ever sanding resin parts. That stuff is up there with asbestos in it's cancer-causing potential. I don't even work with it indoors anymore, as even if you're using a mask it's still phsyically in the room with you. Anything that disturbs the dust will put it back in the air again.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wouldn't even bother with Amazon really. Any local hardware store should have what you'd need. Pick up some light-duty painters masks for acrylic work, and a decent quality respirator with the right filters (for VOC's) if you want to spray lacquers or will be sanding resin.

But then he'd have to leave his house! :ohdear:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But then he'd have to leave his house! :ohdear:

This is a legit reason I order from Amazon and other online retailers a lot but I also live in an area where I have to drive for a half-hour to get to anything more extensive than a corner grocery store.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am currently building a kit, and it has REALLY horrible instructions. (its 5 "steps" that consist of 1) put landing gear together 2) put other gear together 3) put wings together 4) put the entire fuselage, engine, and cockpit together 5) attach wings) Anyway, because of this, I did a test fit of the canopy to make sure that it would clear the armored headrest. It clears it just fine, but for some reason, there is about a 1mm gap between the glass and the fuselage on both sides of the cockpit. Does anyone have any tips for alleviating this? Should I just glue it on with white glue, and use that as a gap filler?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Thread, I need some help with my Berlin Panther dio;

1) Zimmerit on the turret or not?
2) What would be better figure wise; Gloomy soviet tanker standing on the turret, happy soviet tanker chick with either a little girl sitting or a cat on the turret, or little girl with cat?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Molentik posted:

2) What would be better figure wise; Gloomy soviet tanker standing on the turret, happy soviet tanker chick with either a little girl sitting or a cat on the turret, or little girl with cat?

Just off the top of my head I think Zimmerint stopped being a thing in late '44, so if this is the siege of Berlin, it wouldn't have it.

Also go with the happy diorama

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

jadebullet posted:

So I am currently building a kit, and it has REALLY horrible instructions. (its 5 "steps" that consist of 1) put landing gear together 2) put other gear together 3) put wings together 4) put the entire fuselage, engine, and cockpit together 5) attach wings) Anyway, because of this, I did a test fit of the canopy to make sure that it would clear the armored headrest. It clears it just fine, but for some reason, there is about a 1mm gap between the glass and the fuselage on both sides of the cockpit. Does anyone have any tips for alleviating this? Should I just glue it on with white glue, and use that as a gap filler?

I did that (a lot) with my crap Ju 88 and then painted over it so the glue was the same color as the fuselage. It came out OK, but the fit of the various clear parts was already so bad that anything would have been an improvment.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Molentik posted:

Happy soviet tanker cat.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just off the top of my head I think Zimmerint stopped being a thing in late '44, so if this is the siege of Berlin, it wouldn't have it.

Also go with the happy diorama

You are right that new tanks wouldnt be fitted with Zimmerit from late 44 on, but it wasn't like they scraped the stuff off existing tanks. The dug-in panthers they used in Berlin were old vehicles that had broken down and were recycled. Hell, they were even using Panzer I and II's in the battle for Berlin!

But yeah, happy diorama with the little girl would be nicest I think. I also have a little boy in a tanktop and shorts but without shoes, I'd like to include him but that would mean sculpting some trousers and shoes I think. I haven't seen any pictures of kids in Berlin in 45 in what is basically swimwear.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Little girl with cat, random graffiti on there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arquinsiel posted:

Extensive dickbutt graffiti.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

These are great ideas, thanks!

Heil Schwanzarsch!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

In German:This machine kills fascists? :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebakenezzer posted:

In German:This machine kills fascists? :v:

For a long time I've wanted that on a t shirt below a picture of a T-34.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone have any tips on using liquid masking, such as Mr. Masking SOL? I am trying to use it, based on the directions I found online, but when I get to the cutting stage, it seems to bunch up, and stretch off of where I want it to be rather than being smoothly cut, so I have to start over. Am I putting it on too thick or something?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

jadebullet posted:

Does anyone have any tips on using liquid masking, such as Mr. Masking SOL? I am trying to use it, based on the directions I found online, but when I get to the cutting stage, it seems to bunch up, and stretch off of where I want it to be rather than being smoothly cut, so I have to start over. Am I putting it on too thick or something?

I only have experience with Vallejos liquid mask, and that stuff I just brush on with an old brush. Maybe try that on a test piece?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Got the outer planking done on the Victory cross section and started working on the hold. The gunports and entryports are not at their actual size yet, they'll be cut larger in later steps.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've mostly finished my first model. I may do a wash and weather it or something in the future as well before a matte coat. I really gotta work on canopies as well.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Mr E posted:

I've mostly finished my first model. I may do a wash and weather it or something in the future as well before a matte coat. I really gotta work on canopies as well.

That looks really nice. Great job.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I just cracked open my box of lovely old figures and now not only do I want to strip and repaint nearly every single one of those monstrosities, I have like 3 new diorama ideas. Someone help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Mr E posted:

Looking good, I wouldn't weather it too much, I think it looks pretty good as it is!

Ensign Expendable posted:

I just cracked open my box of lovely old figures and now not only do I want to strip and repaint nearly every single one of those monstrosities, I have like 3 new diorama ideas. Someone help me.

Help you how? You can send me a couple of figures so I can paint them for you and send them back, or have a look in my spares and paint some oildrums or a dog or whatever for you to use in your diorama?

I just got my 13th month and I've been eyeing one of those T-34 kits with full interior, metal barrel and clear hull and turret, made by AFV Club :hawaaaafap: Of course that would mean also getting that Masterbox Soviet Tank Crew kit, some indie tracks and maybe a PE set...

Anyone have recommendations for indie track links for a T-34?