Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Skier posted:

The health insurance broker for my previous job has sent my complete personal information, SSN, DOB, address, etc.. across unencrypted emails. Multiple times. I gently reminded them the first time and laid into them the subsequent times, as did my manager. THIS IS YOUR DAMNED JOB, jesus.

That's pretty much the standard across the industry. At most you'll get sensitive information in a password protected PDF with the password being "companyname" or if you're extremely lucky "companyname2015"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So after two years of bullshit dealing with ObamaCare, the first year they accused me of doctoring my paycheck stubs, the second year they withdrew my tax credit and billed me $121 a month for Jan-July, this year they have flat out denied me coverage and directed me to apply for Medicaid. Can we get a Republican President in office to repeal this bullshit already?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Aaaaaand here we go

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, why can't they just go back to the old system of telling you to gently caress off because of your pre-existing conditions, or canceling your coverage once you try to use it.

Trump will fix everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would like to clarify that not only did I vote for Obama (twice) but I am a card carrying Democrat.

Edit: I'm just at my whits end with this bullshit. To be accused of fraud two years in a row and now the flat out denial is like being spat in the face. And good money says I get the fine even if I do provide proof of coverage.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 15, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

your real issue is that you pretty much let the insurance companies write the legislation. Everything about that loving thing is a wet dream for health insurers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rhyno posted:

Edit: I'm just at my whits end
Nice. Unintentional, but still nice.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
God damnit, Rhyno

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

God damnit, Rhyno

It's not my fault!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

So after two years of bullshit dealing with ObamaCare, the first year they accused me of doctoring my paycheck stubs, the second year they withdrew my tax credit and billed me $121 a month for Jan-July, this year they have flat out denied me coverage and directed me to apply for Medicaid. Can we get a Republican President in office to repeal this bullshit already?

I'm going through a lot of the same poo poo. I keep losing my subsidy because they claim I haven't sent enough information to back up my income claim - except I've literally sent them a copy of every pay stub from 2014 and 2015, along with W2s and my tax return for both 2013 and 2014. They still say they never got any of it, even though I have fax confirmation of sending them, along with certified mail receipts. :fuckoff: My last call to them got someone who was at least a bit sympathetic, and managed to somehow push the date back to Feb 2016 for documents. Though to be fair, I've likely single handedly destroyed Blue Cross's risk assessment.

Now if Blue Cross would stop loving up my payments constantly...

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So I've had my cat for about six months now, he's probably eight months old now. He thinks it's fun to do full on sprint-tackles into my legs when I walk past.

Now he's discovered he can tackle me at shoulder height if he jumps off of the wall first. :stare:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Rhyno posted:

I would like to clarify that not only did I vote for Obama (twice) but I am a card carrying Democrat.
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

quote:

Edit: I'm just at my whits end with this bullshit. To be accused of fraud two years in a row and now the flat out denial is like being spat in the face. And good money says I get the fine even if I do provide proof of coverage.
"Oh. uhhhhhhhh. That's some other department's job."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Clearly you're just making this all up, nobody has had any problems with the Affordable Care Act! Probably a Republican or something.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

obamacare is statistically an improvement. some people like rhyno get the shaft, but otoh other people are able to be insured who couldn't before. sucks, but still a net gain for society.

that said, it's a very slight improvement, and an absolute joke compared to the original vision of true socialized healthcare. but we cant have that cause a black man proposed it and also its communism.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Enourmo posted:

obamacare is statistically an improvement. some people like rhyno get the shaft, but otoh other people are able to be insured who couldn't before. sucks, but still a net gain for society.

that said, it's a very slight improvement, and an absolute joke compared to the original vision of true socialized healthcare. but we cant have that cause a black man proposed it and also its communism.

My mom got to go to a doctor for the first time in ten years without having to take out a loan or not eat for a month, so I'm counting it as a win. Because as a 70yr old woman who makes $1200/m she somehow made too loving much to get any coverage before.

In other news, I finally shaved my November mustache off that my wife did nothing but bitch about. Now she hasn't said one word about it.

I hosed up didn't i

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

In other news, I finally shaved my November mustache off that my wife did nothing but bitch about. Now she hasn't said one word about it.

I hosed up didn't i

Grow a beard all year. Problem solved.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

T-Square posted:

So I've had my cat for about six months now, he's probably eight months old now. He thinks it's fun to do full on sprint-tackles into my legs when I walk past.

Now he's discovered he can tackle me at shoulder height if he jumps off of the wall first. :stare:

I see nobody ever told you kittens are huge assholes. :v:

Enourmo posted:

My premiums have quadrupled for next year. :sigh: Granted, that's only counting what I owe after the subsidy, but it stings when you go from ~$30/mo to a bit over $100. Especially when you're pretty close to the bottom rung of income already.

Admittedly, it's a low deductible plan with a low out of pocket cap, but still an HMO, so I'm pretty limited on what I can actually use it for without prior approval.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SouthsideSaint posted:

Grow a beard all year. Problem solved.

I can't :(

At this point I get excited if I have a 4 day weekend and don't have to shave.

Edit: I was on leave last year when hockey playoffs started, so I grew a beard. Then I had to go back to work, so I kept the stache from April til June when they finally won the cup. It was so much less satisfying than the beard

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Enourmo posted:

The 70% who had insurance got hosed, the 30% who didn't still (for the most part, isn't it like 30% of the 30% now have insurance?) don't have insurance.

Net gain according to who?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My insurance went down (and I'm in the needed "18-35 YOM with no pre-existing conditions" category), and generally got accepted by more people (the network grew) versus what it was before. My fiancee and her mother who both had pre-existing conditions were able to finally get insurance after years of being denied. For the same coverage I have now (well, had, because my employer cancelled my insurance because of my deployment, lawsuit pending approval by union reps) I pay probably $40-50/month less than before.

FYGM, haters :911:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ilkhan posted:

The 70% who had insurance got hosed, the 30% who didn't still (for the most part, isn't it like 30% of the 30% now have insurance?) don't have insurance.

Seems a bit of a generalization. I had insurance, and still do. My coverage got a little bit worse in some areas (higher deductible and $5 higher co-pay), and a little bit better in others (mostly preventive care stuff). Vision and Dental basically unchanged. My premiums went up a little bit, but they were doing that every year anyway (and still are), so who knows how much of it was a direct result.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

My mom got to go to a doctor for the first time in ten years without having to take out a loan or not eat for a month, so I'm counting it as a win. Because as a 70yr old woman who makes $1200/m she somehow made too loving much to get any coverage before.

My income is pretty close to that - and yeah, once I got insurance, it was the first time I'd had an actual doctor for anything beyond urgent care or neighborhood clinic stuff since I got booted off of my parents insurance (my early 20s - 37 now). The last time I had medical insurance was in mid 2010, but it had a pretty high deductible ($7500 if I remember right?), didn't cover anything related to mental health, and with such a high deductible, it was too expensive for me to have a primary care doctor. Preventive care was also pricey.

And gently caress, when I finally got a doctor, did he ever turn up a laundry list of poo poo for me. Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure (high as in "I'm really tempted to send you to an ER right now..." type talk, it was around 180/110), and I'm now on 3 different blood pressure meds). My last round of bloodwork showed that my HDL was too low and LDL was at the bottom end of what they wanted to see, so I got yanked off of the cholesterol meds (which I was only taking once or twice a week instead of daily by then anyway, figured it was low because I kept craving fried foods).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 15, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah, my mom had a BP of 200/130. She badly needed a doctor and I could only help so much. That's a lovely loving feeling.

In happier talk, Star wars on Sunday or no? Still can't decide if imax is worth the $40 for two tickets...

Edit: my first ever date was to see episode 1 :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't watch movies while the theater is full.

So I'm going to have to wait until the first Thursday in February, I think.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ilkhan posted:

Show your work please.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MrChips posted:

Show your work please.

Please no. Last time this just devolved into guns and OBUMMA and I lost respect for a lot of people.

Rhyno this is why you have poo poo friends :v:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
my 3 year old daughter asked santa for "a car that she can drive around and give her little sister rides in." Santa is bringing her a Dune Racer Extreme and I am excited as hell to see her see it. It is supposed to be pretty decent off-road too with some sort of limited slip rear axle, knobby tires and a steel frame. Once she gets the hang of driving it, 24 volt mod anyone?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

some texas redneck posted:

I see nobody ever told you kittens are huge assholes. :v:

My premiums have quadrupled for next year. :sigh: Granted, that's only counting what I owe after the subsidy, but it stings when you go from ~$30/mo to a bit over $100. Especially when you're pretty close to the bottom rung of income already.

Admittedly, it's a low deductible plan with a low out of pocket cap, but still an HMO, so I'm pretty limited on what I can actually use it for without prior approval.

I'd knife a bitch for $100 in costs.

I'm paying $350 a month in premiums alone for a single non-smoking guy in his mid-30's with no pre-existing health problems on the books, because my company are loving retards when it comes to negotiating health insurance rates. They doubled last year, and are going up again this year with our coverages getting worse. We can't even have spouses on our plan anymore unless we can prove with documentation that they don't have any other insurance available to them, no matter how lovely.

Oh, and they added a $500 a year fee for smokers this year, rumor has it next year it's going to be something similar for people above a certain BMI.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 15, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Please no. Last time this just devolved into guns and OBUMMA and I lost respect for a lot of people.

Me hating a system that still fucks people has nothing to do with the low quality of my friends!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

iwentdoodie posted:

^^^

Modus Man posted:

my 3 year old daughter asked santa for "a car that she can drive around and give her little sister rides in." Santa is bringing her a Dune Racer Extreme and I am excited as hell to see her see it. It is supposed to be pretty decent off-road too with some sort of limited slip rear axle, knobby tires and a steel frame. Once she gets the hang of driving it, 24 volt mod anyone?

friend let me introduce you to the world of high-power brushless DC motors and lithium-polymer battery packs

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
After only a year of fighting, I managed to get Obamacare starting in this last September. I can either have the insurance that pays for almost anything, but has no network in this area, or the insurance that has tons of doctors but won't pay for anything they can weasel their way out of. Most of the doctors that I used to go to don't take any ACA insurance for whatever dumb reasons, and Anthem will literally lie to your face about who is in-network. I love this country's health care system.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sinestro posted:

After only a year of fighting, I managed to get Obamacare starting in this last September. I can either have the insurance that pays for almost anything, but has no network in this area, or the insurance that has tons of doctors but won't pay for anything they can weasel their way out of. Most of the doctors that I used to go to don't take any ACA insurance for whatever dumb reasons, and Anthem will literally lie to your face about who is in-network. I love this country's health care system.

I briefly had a doctor that absolutely refused all ACA plans, except for BCBS HMOs. I had no idea until I walked into the office for my first appointment. But hey, I have a BCBS HMO, so I figured it'd be cool.

Then I saw what she was billing for a basic doctor's visit. Nearly $400, and getting paid about $200. I've walked into an urgent care place and had an abcess drained for less than that! Also, she was a complete bitch, kept pushing me to use the pharmacy next door, and there wasn't anyone there until about 20 minutes after my appointment was scheduled (as in doors locked, nobody in the building - appointment was at 8am, sign on the door said they opened at 7:30, someone finally showed up at about 8:30, and I didn't actually get seen until about 9:45).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 15, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

I briefly had a doctor that absolutely refused all ACA plans, except for BCBS HMOs. I had no idea until I walked into the office for my first appointment. But hey, I have a BCBS HMO, so...

Then I saw what she was billing for a basic doctor's visit. Nearly $400, and getting paid about $200. I've walked into an urgent care place and had an abcess drained for less than that!

The best are the doctors who act like they're losing their shirt by helping people with lesser insurance, presumably because they can't bill obscene amounts like they could with the traditional system. I know of several doctors who have dropped low-tier insurance coverage because they did a cost-benefit analysis on their time, and realized that they could make more money by only serving cash patients and those with higher end insurance. Because, you know, making money is the highest form of public good.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd knife a bitch for $100 in costs.

I'm paying $350 a month in premiums alone for a single non-smoking guy in his mid-30's with no pre-existing health problems on the books, because my company are loving retards when it comes to negotiating health insurance rates. They doubled last year, and are going up again this year with our coverages getting worse. We can't even have spouses on our plan anymore unless we can prove with documentation that they don't have any other insurance available to them, no matter how lovely.

Oh, and they added a $500 a year fee for smokers this year, rumor has it next year it's going to be something similar for people above a certain BMI.

drat, does your employer pay any of the costs at all? I think I'll be paying about $100 a month next year (I could off a bit either way) with my employer picking up the other $400~$500 or so for our plan (don't remember the exact numbers, but they pay a bit over 80% of the total cost).

We also have the smokers thing - it's $50 per month more for smokers. They do pay all costs at 100% for any smoking cessation program though, even the ridiculously expensive medical programs. We also have to answer some dumb health questionnaire every year in January or have to pay an additional $30 per month. The goal of that thing is to show people where they need to improve their lifestyle, and it leads into a bunch of free (or very low cost) guidance and health betterment programs that are offered. Too bad they won't pay for my gym membership, that would be pretty awesome, but no.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
How I feel about politics/obamacare/gun chat in the chat thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yMa45L17z4

STRAP ME TO THE BOMB I JUST WANT IT TO BE OVER

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I just renewed my insurance at $223 per month with a $3,500 deductible, $6,500 max out of pocket per year, and $7 co-pay per visit and per brand Rx. This is my own plan I just got through Blue Shield and I find it very reasonable.

The important part there is the "max out of pocket" number. If I get in a car accident or something on January first and I spend $6,500 on medical bills, I'm taken care of 100% for the rest of the year. That along with no pre-existing conditions makes this healthcare work for me. I could have taken the lowest plan at $189 per month, but I can afford the slightly higher premium since $7 co-pay will pay the difference in the higher cost very fast. The co-pay for my last plan was anywhere from $45-$90.

A few years ago my mom got her knees replaced and she had to buy supplemental insurance so her bill wouldn't be like $90,000. I think Obamacare has its faults, but give me the max out of pocket and no existing conditions and it's significantly better than it was before.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

Tell us more about the :airquote: free market solutions :airquote: that would be possible if it weren't for the government grinding the poor, downtrodden health insurance industry under its monolithic bootheel. Especially considering all of the problems were caused by the industry being practically unregulated for decades :allears:

My wife could not get health insurance of any kind for any sum of money before the ACA passed because she had a pre-existing condition - hypothyroidism. Which is easily managed by a $5/30 day supply generic prescription, and requires a single biannual blood test to check if the medication needs adjustment. So yeah, while I'm definitely on the "it didn't go nearly far enough" side of the fence I'm not going to suggest we should return to the days of people being kicked off of coverage for getting ill and then being permanently blacklisted by the industry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Locator posted:

drat, does your employer pay any of the costs at all? I think I'll be paying about $100 a month next year (I could off a bit either way) with my employer picking up the other $400~$500 or so for our plan (don't remember the exact numbers, but they pay a bit over 80% of the total cost).

We also have the smokers thing - it's $50 per month more for smokers. They do pay all costs at 100% for any smoking cessation program though, even the ridiculously expensive medical programs. We also have to answer some dumb health questionnaire every year in January or have to pay an additional $30 per month. The goal of that thing is to show people where they need to improve their lifestyle, and it leads into a bunch of free (or very low cost) guidance and health betterment programs that are offered. Too bad they won't pay for my gym membership, that would be pretty awesome, but no.

Yeah, they do. I work for the north american branch of a euro company, our benefits are all trash compared to the main branch. That above is with a $2500 deductible/8k per year max out of pocket, too. :smith: You can get a 20% discount, but you have to do a full physical with bloodwork each year and release it to the insurance company to get it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Single payer would fix 99.99% of these problems.
Yes, yes, we have Canadian and NHS horror stories, but for every one of those we have 100 sad fuckers here who die because he couldn't get his early stage cancer dealt with.

Not that I care much, I'm fairly well off, have sweet, sweet government employment benefits, and as dual US-Canadian citizen, I can gently caress off to Canada when y'all elect President Trump (or Cruz. Canada is sorry about that.) to 2 terms. I hope he builds that wall because we need all the shielding we can get from that clusterfuck.

Edit: Without a subsidy the top of the line obummercare plan is cheaper than the cobra on my last job's health insurance. Slightly higher co-pays, but not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Geoj posted:

Tell us more about the :airquote: free market solutions :airquote: that would be possible if it weren't for the government grinding the poor, downtrodden health insurance industry under its monolithic bootheel. Especially considering all of the problems were caused by the industry being practically unregulated for decades :allears:

My wife could not get health insurance of any kind for any sum of money before the ACA passed because she had a pre-existing condition - hypothyroidism. Which is easily managed by a $5/30 day supply generic prescription, and requires a single biannual blood test to check if the medication needs adjustment. So yeah, while I'm definitely on the "it didn't go nearly far enough" side of the fence I'm not going to suggest we should return to the days of people being kicked off of coverage for getting ill and then being permanently blacklisted by the industry.
I don't really want another pissing match in this thread.

Suffice to say that I'm sympathetic and not 100% libertarian on this issue.

That said, some of you need to remember what the definition of insurance is, that somebody has to pay for the care received even if its not the patient, that the American health industry has developed a pretty big percentage of medications/techniques used in medicine, that we still has patients coming here from around the world for life saving care, and that price ceilings are a great way to destroy the supply of any good.

I want everybody to get the care they need. I also want them to remember that *if* they didn't pay for it, someone else did. And in that case to appreciate the person who did instead of hate them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=716qbOv3a4M

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 15, 2015

• Locked thread