Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

There are 'reship' type services in the US, although I think they usually cater to Canadian customers there may be some international ones. As to whether NL will charge you import fees, I guess it depends on how it's declared. I doubt it will cost 500 euro to reship it and pay customs, but you will have the wrong keyboard.

Is there no Apple refurb store in NL? We can buy refurbs in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I just googled it and it looks like the only real difference between us and NL keyboards is the euro sign on the 2 key and a slightly different shaped enter key.

I'll probably only have 1 year warranty unlike the mandatory 2 in European countries, but for 500eu I might not care that much.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
There is a refurb store, but aren't those prices the same as the education discount? Regardless, don't forgot that the US price does not include tax. Any reshipping service will probably not label it as a gift, in which case there's a high chance you'll have to pay import tax (21%). Also, don't disregard that warranty. It's not two years at all. It's 6 months where the burden of proof lies with the seller, then "A reasonable timespan for the product" where the burden of proof lies with the buyer. A reasonable timespan should be a long time for a €1500 laptop. All in all getting it in the US is still cheaper. Just not as much as you'd say at first glance.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The US warranty default is 1 year even on refurbs. You can extend it another 2 years with Applecare and it is covered internationally.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I Am Crake posted:

Am I going to run into problems with the keyboard (á é ö etc)? Is it a dumb idea?
If you do decide to do this, I believe you should be able to call up AppleCare with your order number and have them send it out with any language topcase you like (at least, this was the case a few years ago)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I Am Crake posted:

If I buy a July 2014 13" MBP with 256GB of flash storage from the Apple refurb store it's $ 1149.-

That's a cool € 500.- less than buying a 2015 model new from the Dutch Apple website WITH education discount. Am I stupid in thinking I should ship a refurbished laptop to a trusted someone in the U.S. who will then mail it to me? Am I looking at trouble with import costs if the package is inspected? Am I going to run into problems with the keyboard (á é ö etc)? Is it a dumb idea?

I'm a poor as gently caress university student so 500 euros is a shitton of money (and about 1/3rd of the price of the laptop).

Edit - JFC the cheapest plane ticket to New York from Amsterdam is € 677. Flying to the U.S. to buy a laptop is € 178 away from being cost effective.

Do you currently use a Mac? Because the accent keys are like the easiest thing ever to type on OS X. I don't remember off the top of head but it's something like opt + ' + the letter you want to put the ' modifier on. It's very natural and something I never figured out how to do on Windows cause it's all alt + memorize 4 numbers or something stupid like that.

LPG Giant posted:

There is a refurb store, but aren't those prices the same as the education discount? Regardless, don't forgot that the US price does not include tax. Any reshipping service will probably not label it as a gift, in which case there's a high chance you'll have to pay import tax (21%). Also, don't disregard that warranty. It's not two years at all. It's 6 months where the burden of proof lies with the seller, then "A reasonable timespan for the product" where the burden of proof lies with the buyer. A reasonable timespan should be a long time for a €1500 laptop. All in all getting it in the US is still cheaper. Just not as much as you'd say at first glance.

No I think the refurb store has lower prices than the education discount generally.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure you just need to hold the appropriate key to get accents open. Like hold a to get àáâ etc

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah just hold the key down and the accent options appear, just like the iOS keyboard! Ÿâÿ:neckbeard:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Not if you have key-repeat turned on / AutoCorrect turned off. I don't know how people live with that turned on with a full physical keyboard.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pivo posted:

Not if you have key-repeat turned on / AutoCorrect turned off. I don't know how people live with that turned on with a full physical keyboard.

Those two aren't mutually exclusive tho.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Those two aren't mutually exclusive tho.

How can key-repeat work if you have the 'hold down to bring up menu' thing turned on? 'Hold down a key' becomes overloaded in that case.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm pretty sure you just need to hold the appropriate key to get accents open. Like hold a to get àáâ etc

Nah, you hit alt plus the modifier key to designate which accent you want (e will give you one accent, say é, c another one, I think ç), then the letter you want the accent to be added to. Holding a will get you a string of As unless you're on iOS.

It's much more intuitive than the windows solution.

Edit, ah, I have key repeat on so that doesn't happen for me.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

tuyop posted:

Nah, you hit alt plus the modifier key to designate which accent you want (e will give you one accent, say é, c another one, I think ç), then the letter you want the accent to be added to. Holding a will get you a string of As unless you're on iOS.

It's much more intuitive than the windows solution.

Edit, ah, I have key repeat on so that doesn't happen for me.

:shrug:

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I'm using a Windows computer right now, but for me if I type ' followed by e it will make it é. If I do ^ followed by e it will make it ê. In the US it will immediatly show the ^ symbol when you hit it, over here only if you press space after. After looking into all the ifs and buts about it, looks like it'll be less hassle and get me better warranty if I get it in the Netherlands. On Dutch forums most people that import from the U.S. usually buy the laptop on holiday and fedex the box to themselves so for anyone in the airport it looks like you were just traveling with your own laptop. Not watertight but works most of the time and is well worth the savings.

Oh well, it's going to be april or june at the earliest before I can afford one of these so it's still a while away.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pivo posted:

How can key-repeat work if you have the 'hold down to bring up menu' thing turned on? 'Hold down a key' becomes overloaded in that case.

I just misread the way you wrote it, I guess? It sounded like you were saying it doesn't work if you have key repeat on and or autocorrect turned off.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Back goes the rMBP for another depot repair: this time for a logic board swap for real this time. 2 months ago it went out for a display assembly and logic board, but they only did the display assembly and said that resolved the graphics issues. Wrong...

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I've got a 5k iMac refurb with terrible ghosting issues. Is it safe to say that I can just take it into an Apple Store at my convenience some time within the 1 year warranty and something like that would be covered? Side note: I replaced the stock RAM with my own upgrade and sold the other stuff. I hope that doesn't matter if they end up replacing it.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Bill Barber posted:

I've got a 5k iMac refurb with terrible ghosting issues. Is it safe to say that I can just take it into an Apple Store at my convenience some time within the 1 year warranty and something like that would be covered? Side note: I replaced the stock RAM with my own upgrade and sold the other stuff. I hope that doesn't matter if they end up replacing it.

It won't void the warranty, but if they have to replace it you should probably ask if you can get your RAM out of it first.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
My mom has a mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro that she says will occasionally hang up/beachball. I've been unable to replicate the issue. My hunch based on some googling is that it could be a bad sata cable. Anyone know of a sure fire way of diagnosing this?

Would it be stupid of me to just replace the cable and convert it to an SSD (while I have it open), or would I just be complicating things while potentially not fixing the initial issue?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

frogbs posted:

My mom has a mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro that she says will occasionally hang up/beachball. I've been unable to replicate the issue. My hunch based on some googling is that it could be a bad sata cable. Anyone know of a sure fire way of diagnosing this?

Would it be stupid of me to just replace the cable and convert it to an SSD (while I have it open), or would I just be complicating things while potentially not fixing the initial issue?

I've had many friends with the same year MBP that had problems with the sata cable. From what I understand it's the most common point of failure on those computers. The constant and prolonged 'beachballing' also sounds like a problem that would be caused by the hard drive, but you'd need more information to know for sure.

Turn the computer off and hold the D key to boot into apple hardware test/diagnostics to see if the drive is dead or not.

Either way I'd back up your mom's data ASAP.

And yeah, if you're right about it being the SATA cable/hard drive, an SSD would be an excellent upgrade and I can't recommend it enough. I actually did the same for my mom's 2011 13in MBP and every-time I visit her she tells me how much faster her computer is.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It might be worth taking back to Apple just to have them replace the SATA cable, as much of what's available third party is just pulls from machines that had the same issue.

ENTERING ANECDOTAL ZONE
I've done this for many users in an AASP manner and I find the replacement cables Apple uses to be a slightly different build than what they replace, and I've never had to replace the cable again.

I have had users who bought a cable from iFixit or PBMedic (fantastic company though) who come to me six months to a year later telling me they're having HD issues again.
LEAVING ANECDOTAL ZONE

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-15/apple-said-to-open-secret-lab-in-taiwan-to-develop-displays

I wonder what they're working on.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nah, that article sucks boil-covered moose cock.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/15/apple-has-taken-over-qualcomms-imod-mirasol-display-lab-in-taiwan

I like this article much better, more research and actually explains why the gently caress I should care that Apple took over a monitor lab.

It's loving technology going in a whole new direction, advocating reflective technology over transmissive technology, which is more natural and less eye-straining.

I especially like the part where they mention that a product using the Mirasol tech looked better in direct sunlight than any other display that was reviewed.

Also, the biggest tell is here, emphasis mine:

AppleInsider posted:

Qualcomm's IMOD technology uses an array of microscopic mirror-like elements that can reflect light of a specific color. Like OLED, it doesn't require a backlight. It also only uses energy when being being switched on or off; once an image is created, it requires no power to refresh or retain it, similar to E-Ink displays used in e-readers like the Kindle.

That's gonna mean a big jump in battery life. The only caveat is using it in dark environments (like most goons are used to) but it's as simply solved as adding a backlight.

It was also mentioned that Mirasol can refresh fast enough to do video.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 15, 2015

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
So I've decided to replace my office computers, which are all various Macs purchased in 2008:

- 2008 Macbook Pro upgraded to SSD
- 2008 iMac
- 2009 iMac upgraded to SSD
- 2008 Mac Mini Server, 1TB RAID

All of these will be used for light duty email/web tasks, but one will also run parallels and need to have LOTS of windows open.

How are the new Mac Minis? I have enough spare monitors and keyboards to hook everything up.
For the higher-duty computer should I consider a Macbook Air?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Jizzer posted:

So I've decided to replace my office computers, which are all various Macs purchased in 2008:

- 2008 Macbook Pro upgraded to SSD
- 2008 iMac
- 2009 iMac upgraded to SSD
- 2008 Mac Mini Server, 1TB RAID

All of these will be used for light duty email/web tasks, but one will also run parallels and need to have LOTS of windows open.

How are the new Mac Minis? I have enough spare monitors and keyboards to hook everything up.
For the higher-duty computer should I consider a Macbook Air?

The current Mac Minis are all less powerful than the 2012 Mac Mini with the i7. A 2012 i7 Mac Mini is probably your best fit for the "Parallels doing a lot of stuff at once" workload, but they've been increasing in price on eBay ever since they got discontinued.

The base Mac Mini or Macbook Air would both be fine for light duty tasks, but the Macbook Air more pleasant to use because of the SSD. Parallels with lots of stuff running at once will be unpleasant on less than 8GB of RAM.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

The current Mac Minis are all less powerful than the 2012 Mac Mini with the i7. A 2012 i7 Mac Mini is probably your best fit for the "Parallels doing a lot of stuff at once" workload, but they've been increasing in price on eBay ever since they got discontinued.

The base Mac Mini or Macbook Air would both be fine for light duty tasks, but the Macbook Air more pleasant to use because of the SSD. Parallels with lots of stuff running at once will be unpleasant on less than 8GB of RAM.

Mac Minis are regressing? That's loving stupid. Steve would never have let this happen.

It looks like the mid-range Mac Minis aren't too depressing and I can save a few hundred on these versus comparable iMacs. Unless there's a compelling reason to go iMac.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Jizzer posted:

Mac Minis are regressing? That's loving stupid. Steve would never have let this happen.

It looks like the mid-range Mac Minis aren't too depressing and I can save a few hundred on these versus comparable iMacs. Unless there's a compelling reason to go iMac.

Retina display?

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Retina display?

Just bought another Dell 3415W so I don't really need a display.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Retina display?
I'm using a 2014 Mac Mini hooked up to an inexpensive Samsung UHD display, which is doing HiDPI 3840x2160 @ 30Hz. While the mouse cursor and some effects aren't as buttery-smooth as they are on my rMBP, video plays back fine in all Windows without frame dropping. Full screen 4K video plays back fine. It's a delight to use this display at this res / depth. Things are 10% a hair big, but crazy sharp.

Edit:

kuskus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 15, 2015

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

kuskus posted:

I'm using a 2014 Mac Mini hooked up to an inexpensive Samsung UHD display, which is doing HiDPI 3840x2160 @ 30Hz. While the mouse cursor and some effects aren't as buttery-smooth as they are on my rMBP, video plays back fine in all Windows without frame dropping. Full screen 4K video plays back fine. It's a delight to use this display at this res / depth. Things are 10% a hair big, but crazy sharp.

Edit:

What am I looking at there? A spined lizard in a gaming controller?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

It's an off-topic joke, but it's the patent application for upcoming screen + analog control combo for the NX on Ars. Supposedly it has eye-tracking parallax like the 3DS and is a touchscreen controller. Gallery of images here.

Ars Forums User posted:

I don't know about any of you, but I have to play this game in the patent. I can use a Mace, Bombs, arrows, AND a pistol, against a giant lizard. Sold!

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Binary Badger posted:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/15/apple-has-taken-over-qualcomms-imod-mirasol-display-lab-in-taiwan

I like this article much better, more research and actually explains why the gently caress I should care that Apple took over a monitor lab.

It's loving technology going in a whole new direction, advocating reflective technology over transmissive technology, which is more natural and less eye-straining.

I especially like the part where they mention that a product using the Mirasol tech looked better in direct sunlight than any other display that was reviewed.

That's gonna mean a big jump in battery life. The only caveat is using it in dark environments (like most goons are used to) but it's as simply solved as adding a backlight.

Yeah, that's actually a pretty big deal. I was super stoked about this when I heard they were developing it for e-readers, but in a laptop it would be awesome. If they can actually make it a viable product, that is.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Binary Badger posted:

mirasol looked like poo poo in non-direct sunlight. QCA never got it off the ground

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Didn't they buy a MicroLED company?
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/07/27/apple-owned-micro-led-display-technology-earns-high-praise-seen-as-potential-oled-replacement

Couldn't they be working on that?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Also, they bought a display lab where Mirasol products were made - this in no way indicates they will continue making Mirasol technology or that Qualcomm has sold or licensed that IP. This might just be the easiest way for them to dip their toes into display research.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Whenever Apple buys a company or puts major shares into it, they usually wind up using the company's products later on. Sometimes it works (ARM, PowerVR) sometimes it doesn't (GT Advanced/sapphire) but man when it does it's always a plus for the customer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Whenever Apple buys a company or puts major shares into it, they usually wind up using the company's products later on. Sometimes it works (ARM, PowerVR) sometimes it doesn't (GT Advanced/sapphire) but man when it does it's always a plus for the customer.

Except they didn't buy a company, they bought a building that a company owned and probably the equipment inside. It's not at all the same thing. My bet is that the research will be focused on OLED, because while Mirasol is awesome outdoors, it suffers from awful color reproduction and other issues. I suspect what happened is that TSMC bought it from Qualcomm and suggested it to Apple, who I assume is their biggest customer.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah this was a fairly recent addition. I think Mavericks or something. I'm not a fan of it cause I'm old and stuck in my ways.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My Late 2013 13" Macbook Pro has been dropping Wi-Fi connections a lot lately. It happens both at home and at work.

The problem is that at home, I'm swamped with two or three dozen other Wi-Fi networks around me, and I'm running on a 2007-era Time Capsule for wireless; and at work, the Wi-Fi is notoriously flaky. So I can't really tell where the fault lies.

Is there any good way I can determine if there's something going wrong with the Wi-Fi radio (/drivers) on my Mac, and what might be done to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Axiem posted:

My Late 2013 13" Macbook Pro has been dropping Wi-Fi connections a lot lately. It happens both at home and at work.

The problem is that at home, I'm swamped with two or three dozen other Wi-Fi networks around me, and I'm running on a 2007-era Time Capsule for wireless; and at work, the Wi-Fi is notoriously flaky. So I can't really tell where the fault lies.

Is there any good way I can determine if there's something going wrong with the Wi-Fi radio (/drivers) on my Mac, and what might be done to fix it?

Does this also happen on 5GHz with the Time Capsule at home? Because that would be my first recommendation.