Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

tgijsola posted:

Other people already answered this, but in case you or anyone else is wondering this is the tool to use to answer almost any "what are the odds I draw X" question:

http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

Your setup would be a population size of 33 unknown cards in your deck, 17 successes for the remaining lands, and a sample size of 2 cards drawn from the deck. Odds of 1 or more successes in the sample are 77%.

ITT I'm real salty about mana screw. I feel as though I haven't had a real game of Magic in weeks, just me mulliganing to oblivion. Tonight I lost to Kitesail Scout and friends because it was turn seven and I was stuck on two lands, where drawing a fourth would've gotten me Rising Miasma (I had a Scion) and let me stabilize. It's the worst feeling, and I've decided I'm taking a break until Oath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BJPaskoff posted:

ITT I'm real salty about mana screw. I feel as though I haven't had a real game of Magic in weeks, just me mulliganing to oblivion. Tonight I lost to Kitesail Scout and friends because it was turn seven and I was stuck on two lands, where drawing a fourth would've gotten me Rising Miasma (I had a Scion) and let me stabilize. It's the worst feeling, and I've decided I'm taking a break until Oath.

Don't feel too bad, it happens to everyone! EspeciallyEven LSV.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

sarmhan posted:

there's a lot of space here ... ♦ lets WOTC make a sixth color

Chamale posted:

I gotta agree with Sigma-X that diamond cards don't excite me yet. So far, every card with a diamond in its cost is just blue by another name. We have countering, cloning, and card draw, which are all blue effects. Where's the new designs?

Your 6th color hype and Chamales post are pretty much the conflict that has me so burnt on ♦. This is a "6th color" but it isn't feeling like new identity to me (and the original eldrazi did a very good job of feeling like new identity, gated not by color/effective color but by cost, and then a bunch of support to actually be able to pay those costs.)

I also think Devoid is terrible for the same reason - none of the devoid cards feel colorless, they're just "green's version of eldrazi" "black's version of eldrazi" etc, and we had that last time we were in ROE but we didn't need Devoid there to tell us that they were eldrazi - because all of the ROE cards are there fitting into support roles to let you hit the eldrazi identity.

In comparison to Rav/Return to Rav, where the guilds felt internally consistent, from a flavor standpoint this doesn't feel mechanically flavored as Zendikar/ROE's continuity, and instead feels like there's some sort of telephone game distortion between ROE and BFZ/OGW that has a bunch of bullet points that seem like they line up (BIG DUDES, COLORLESS, KOR, VAMPIRES, ALLIES!) but nothing resonates as being the same to me.

to be clear I'm not looking for a literal retread, I'm looking for something like "Golgari are all about the graveyard, so they dredge and they scavenge" but devoid and ♦ both stand in strong opposition to the colorless generic-mana identity the eldrazi had before.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I can't really argue with you about ♦'s identity because ♦ identity is almost entirely unknown. If I show you 3 random red mythics from a set, are you necessarily going to be able to tell what red's shtick is in a set? The fact that two of the cards are lands further complicates that.

Also, you seem to be substituting devoid for the 'big eldrazi', but the big eldrazi still exist in BFZ. Devoid is there to replace the previous drones, but allows them to benefit from and care about colorless-matters cards. It's not really feasible to have the concentration of eldrazi you want in a set without having colored-cost cards, but at the same time you don't want the cards that care about colorless to ignore a huge number of the eldrazi in the set.
The last time we had a shitload of colorless cards at all rarities we had mirrodin, which had a really bizarre limited environment due to that.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 15, 2015

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

You are burnt out, this standard isn't very strong at all

E: it's seriously telling how low power it is that or two fringe modern playable cards centralize everything around them

Eh, new Jace was a four of in a top 8 deck from the last modern GP, I don't think it's fair to say its fringe modern playable

hell, flip jace is seeing solid play (insofar as any vintage card can be said to be seeing solid play) in mentor control in vintage

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 15, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah flip Jace is playable in all 4 constructed formats which is frankly kind of insane.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess Treasure Cruise technically isn't playable in modern

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

Eh, new Jace was a four of in a top 8 deck from the last modern GP, I don't think it's fair to say its fringe modern playable

hell, flip jace is seeing solid play (insofar as any vintage card can be said to be seeing solid play) in mentor control in vintage

I like flip Jace a lot and I've been bullish on it from the start, I hadn't seen many top 8 results so I'm pleased to see it show up in Modern. What deck was it in?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess Treasure Cruise technically isn't playable in modern

It also didn't centralize standard around it, much like Dig.

They were just really solid cards and would've been stronger still if everything around them wasn't completely overcosted, probably to accommodate..

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Chamale posted:

I gotta agree with Sigma-X that diamond cards don't excite me yet. So far, every card with a diamond in its cost is just blue by another name. We have countering, cloning, and card draw, which are all blue effects. Where's the new designs?

To be fair, Mirrorpool also stole Red's spell copying thing, and menace is red/black.

I 100% agree that, right now, with the little we know, C is just blue by another name/cost. I don't think we can quite say that it's only that, since we know so little about it, but I'll be extremely disappointed if it's just "hey for one set we've decided to try very hard to siphon off all of blue's stuff and put it on colorless things".

Kozilek I can give a pass to; at least for card draw, that is, since he cast opportunity when you stuck him in before. The countering part is completely stupid, however, and makes me pessimistic regarding how WotC will be approaching colorless design space. It feels like the process that went into him was "Kozilek is the smart eldrazi, blue is smart, so give him blue stuff. Also, give him menace because he's scary :downs:"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
^^I'd say the countering part has less to do with the design space for C and more to do with it's loving Kozilek, and it goes along with his surgical dissection of your mind

Chamale posted:

Worldbreaker's return to hand effect uses C and has a pretty unique attrition effect. Plus the flavor of devouring the land to restore itself

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 15, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, considering that one of the things purple would have done in the original Planar Chaos was supposed be incredibly broken things and old fashion blue was incredibly broken things... they might be majority blue, but not necessarily broken.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even if the effects kindof fall within blue's extremely wide remit I don't think they'd ever print a 12/12 with Menace in blue.

e: I guess Leviathans can come close in size but they tend to have horrible drawbacks instead of drawing you cards and countering spells

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 15, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
A titan cycle sure seems like the place to do it. Why isn't there a name for the anti-menace where it can only be blocked by one creature?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Khans standards have been hot loving garbage and I say that as someone who lived through Faeries/Jund/5CC standards back to back to back. Once that block rotates and we have a standard without both fetchduals and Siege loving Rhino I think the platform built off of BFZ for standard will be really interesting.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

The Shortest Path posted:

Khans standards have been hot loving garbage and I say that as someone who lived through Faeries/Jund/5CC standards back to back to back. Once that block rotates and we have a standard without both fetchduals and Siege loving Rhino I think the platform built off of BFZ for standard will be really interesting.

Presenting the first english spoiler of the Shadows of Innistrad spoiler season:

quote:

Thragrhinoyf 3G

Creature - Rhino Lhurgoyf (Mythic Rare)

Trample

When Thragrhinoyf enters the battlefield, you gain 1 life for each card type among cards in all graveyards.

When Thragrhinoyf leaves the battlefield, put an X/X Beast token on to the battlefield under your control, where X is the number of card types among cards in all graveyards.

4/5

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Niton posted:

Presenting the first english spoiler of the Shadows of Innistrad spoiler season:

Gravetusk. I can see it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Niton posted:

A slightly toned down version of that card would be real fuckin neato, actually.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Counting card types is tedious and really weird from a flavor perspective.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
You're going to have to do it maybe 4-6 times a match, and most of those times are just +/-1. I think this is their attempt at a less tedious, more interesting fix of threshold. We also don't have flavour for it yet, so idk

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Look, it's step 1 to the return of OmniDoor ThragFire, the third greatest standard deck since Caw Blade (the 2 mill-wincondition control decks are the best.)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Counting card types is tedious and really weird from a flavor perspective.

On the other hand, it encourages a diverse deck, which is never a bad thing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GeneX posted:

Look, it's step 1 to the return of OmniDoor ThragFire, the third greatest standard deck since Caw Blade (the 2 mill-wincondition control decks are the best.)

Can we go back to pretending Travis Woo doesn't exist and never has?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Can we go back to pretending Travis Woo doesn't exist and never has?

I'm sorry that you can't appreciate the only good thing Travis Woo has ever made for the magic community. Also I completely forgot he was involved until you reminded me, so :shrug:.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
lorwyn standard was cool, and good

bfz standard is neither cool nor good

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

GeneX posted:

I'm sorry that you can't appreciate the only good thing Travis Woo has ever made for the magic community. Also I completely forgot he was involved until you reminded me, so :shrug:.

Didn't he ultimately steal the deck from someone else, anyways?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ungulateman posted:

lorwyn standard was cool, and good

bfz standard is neither cool nor good

lor-alara standard was cool, alara-zen standard was also cool.

My favorite deck ever was alara zen super standard Turboland, where I got to take extra turns, draw 10 cards, jace and oracle of mul daya to ancestral every turn, cast primetime, and win the game with a dozen 11/12 plant tokens every time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

On the other hand, it encourages a diverse deck, which is never a bad thing.

Goyf-containing decks are certainly known for their diversity :v:.

I mean, goyf's rate is kind of ridiculous, obviously, but given a cross-section of a generic abzan midrange deck deck in the current standard and it's pretty much already playing every type of card (except tribal which isn't in standard obviously):

Silkwrap - Enchantment
Hangarback Walker - Artifact
Duress, Painful Truths - Sorcery
Gideon - PW
Abzan Charm - Instant
and lots of creatures and lands

Whether or not a card type counting mechanic is interesting or not depends on how it's implemented, but I don't think there's anything to suggest that it inherently creates diversity, given that precedent points to tarmogoyf decks dropping tarfire and nameless inversion afaik even before bitterblossom (the good tribal card) was printed iirc.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 15, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Niton posted:

Didn't he ultimately steal the deck from someone else, anyways?

He worked with the community to develop it, and then claimed it was his own design.

Basically he's never had a single good idea in his entire Magic career.

Edit: Actually, his single good idea was exactly that; steal an idea.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 15, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Goddamn, this place is reading like MTGSalvation lately.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Niton posted:

Don't feel too bad, it happens to everyone! EspeciallyEven LSV.

Nah, this is fake or something, LSV is whitelisted. :v:

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Chamale posted:

It does seem like they are just putting grixis mechanics on colorless cards so far. I hope some others follow Void Winnower's example of the Eldrazi caring about insane, incomprehensible things.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

according to someone every set ever printed has been the worst set ever, the thing killing magic, and the mark of magic's decline and Maro's ultimate triumph. this has been going on forever and will continue to do so.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chamale posted:

There's World Breaker. A creature returning from the GY to the hand is in both green and black.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Re; Sullivan. It's pretty insane that being the best at your job of anyone else doing that job can't get you a good salary...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

Big news for modo.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/year-of-modern-flashbacks-2015-12-14

10 ticket modern drafts a new set each week all year long non-phantom events.

quote:

NOTE: Due to bugs currently impacting Darksteel rares Gemini Engine and Thought Dissector, Darksteel boosters opened during between the January 13 and January 27 downtimes will not contain these cards, whether in these events or through the collection. (Each pack will still contain a rare.) These cards can be opened again in Darksteel boosters after the January 20 downtime.
Never change, modo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Re; Sullivan. It's pretty insane that being the best at your job of anyone else doing that job can't get you a good salary...

Well his job is to talk 2 days a week for a company that is cutting back its events because they aren't making enough money on them. Good salaries don't usually come from part time work.

That being said I hope he enjoys Activision and that we still see him a few times a year. I always enjoyed him the most.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well his job is to talk 2 days a week for a company that is cutting back its events because they aren't making enough money on them. Good salaries don't usually come from part time work.

That being said I hope he enjoys Activision and that we still see him a few times a year. I always enjoyed him the most.

Yeah but 7k people or so watch those streams. There is no way what he was doing wasn't worth 100k a year.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Colorless mana symbol is really easy to understand

Don't worry, we only got a few more months of people flipping the gently caress out about it before they actually play with the cards and realize it's fine, just like what happened with DFCs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh is that true? I wish that meant people would play this game more chill-like and not seem like they're practicing for the next GP all the time, but somehow I feel like it's gonna have the opposite effect and cause more fierce competition, and accompanying behavior, for the few spots there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

GeneX posted:

Kozilek I can give a pass to; at least for card draw, that is, since he cast opportunity when you stuck him in before. The countering part is completely stupid, however, and makes me pessimistic regarding how WotC will be approaching colorless design space. It feels like the process that went into him was "Kozilek is the smart eldrazi, blue is smart, so give him blue stuff. Also, give him menace because he's scary :downs:"
The counter thing has been suggested to me as a remnant of the 'Eldrazi care about mana cost' idea that was cut from design (or whenever in the shitheap that was BfZ block's creation). Like Void Winnower. WotC lately seem to have a habit of leaving dead mechanics they liked on mythics, despite there being no context from the rest of the block, because mythics are meant to do interesting things. Doesn't always work.

• Locked thread