Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

we get raises very soon maybe this week. can't wait for some pitiful single digit %

hells yeah cost of living adjustment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
even when i was getting paid a pittance licking steve's balls as a second class non-cs citizen, i could not get a double digit raise

and i've never even gotten a raise after that (other than by quitting...)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Vanadium posted:

it would be rad if y'all could post some amount of detail about yr work situation / career progress / wtf instead of just dumping random six digit numbers

again, these are monthly salaries and 100k per year = 8333 per month

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
oh, and this is bachelor level education.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wheany posted:

perkele

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i get paid in sardines and aids cum

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
BUT! i dont have hours or a boss. and some days i dont go to work for no reason. hats worth a lot to me

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vanadium posted:

it would be rad if y'all could post some amount of detail about yr work situation / career progress / wtf instead of just dumping random six digit numbers

i plug a hard drive into a computer and run a script and come back in a few days and mark a database pass/fail.

i don't make as much as most of yospos but i set my own hours and work pays for my schooling so it's nice

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

i like this thread even tho it's making me feel inadequate for yosposting

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Wheany posted:

all I'm getting from this is God bless America :patriot:

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Vanadium posted:

I'm currently a "full stack developer" for a big logistics company. I do enterprise web development. I've also never seen a raise more than 6% without switching jobs. My company went through a few rounds of layoffs recently which were more symbolic than anything, since we have a new CEO and our stock price took a dump. Still it could mean that our bonuses might not be as much as last year.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Necc0 posted:

all I'm getting from this is God bless America :patriot:

p.much.

i don't know how much higher the salaries are in central europe, but according to a google search i did some time ago, they are not that much higher. not six figgies high at least.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i make 80k plus a 10% variable bonus that i count as 0 dollars but will supposedly be at least 6%.

i could make significantly more at another company but i loving love my job and I'm pretty happy with 80k/year as a highschool dropout with 1.5 years of industry experience.

my work life balance has sucked for the last 5 years so I'm gonna chill here until i get that sorted and then reassess whether I want to stay here or go make serious figgies elsewhere.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

in case you dont wanna be all like "hey here's a bunch of identifiable stuff about my life"

http://www.salaryshare.me/6bec6e6e7d179cacde12f371e1cf85a9

min 10, though since it's anonymized you can be a jerk i guess

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i got all my raises by quitting and finding a new job (very happy here in case theyre reading this) low salary because i ate poo poo for 6 out of the 8 years of my professional adult life

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
so should I post the standard issue kalmazeus blog here as well?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Share Bear posted:

in case you dont wanna be all like "hey here's a bunch of identifiable stuff about my life"

you're supposed to specify if we include bonuses or just base salary!!!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Necc0 posted:

you're supposed to specify if we include bonuses or just base salary!!!

the amount of money, on average, you receive for work during a calendar year, pre-tax

pram
Jun 10, 2001
rear end chamber

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

i got all my raises by quitting and finding a new job (very happy here in case theyre reading this) low salary because i ate poo poo for 6 out of the 8 years of my professional adult life

same but more years

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you know the old saying, a clam in the hand is worth two in the sea? that's true for workers but exactly the opposite way the aphorism means to communicate

you won't get a great raise from your current job because your current employer knows what they're getting from you. you're the clam in the hand. you have skills X, Y, and Z, and your employer really values Z, and they're paying you a certain sum to retain access and control over that Z.

when you are evaluated by a new employer, you might actually be worth more to them. you're the two clams in the sea. maybe the new employer requires skills X + Z instead of just Z. or X + Y. or just a desperate need for Z. that 33% raise isn't an accident.

your old employer isn't witholding a raise because they're dumb. you're just not worth that much more this year than last year. you might be worth a lot more to someone else, but not to them.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 15, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:backtowork:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you know the old saying, a clam in the hand is worth two in the sea? that's true for workers but exactly the opposite way the aphorism means to communicate

you won't get a great raise from your current job because your current employer knows what they're getting from you. you're the clam in the hand. you have skills X, Y, and Z, and your employer really values Z, and they're paying you a certain sum to retain access and control over that Z.

when you are evaluated by a new employer, you might actually be worth more to them. you're the two clams in the sea. maybe the new employer requires skills X + Z instead of just Z. or X + Y. or just a desperate need for Z. that 33% raise isn't an accident.

your old employer isn't witholding a raise because they're dumb. you're just not worth that much more this year than last year. you might be worth a lot more to someone else, but not to them.

wisdom

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yea institutional knowledge is totally worthless

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Share Bear posted:

lol if anyone cares that you're a special cj in the middle of silicon valley or bumfuck, USA/Europe

the pseudo-identifiable information is useful for people who want to target a certain level of position at a specific place. just saying "I made 100k last year" is not useful at all without context other than to laugh at people making less or get depressed that other people are making way more

This is why glassdoor is useful

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MeruFM posted:

lol if anyone cares that you're a special cj in the middle of silicon valley or bumfuck, USA/Europe

the pseudo-identifiable information is useful for people who want to target a certain level of position at a specific place. just saying "I made 100k last year" is not useful at all without context other than to laugh at people making less or get depressed that other people are making way more

This is why glassdoor is useful

hey you wanna write your biography on yospos, great, you don't , use that link, relax

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
just saying if you wanted anonymous data, go on glassdoor

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I work in academia, so i make more than I should and have a great benefits package

Uni tried to take a shot at everyone's benefits but tenured faculty are all-powerful and shut the attempt down after definitively proving it wouldn't have saved the university any money. :toot:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

I work in academia, so i make more than I should

:confused:

what?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I've been promoted a couple times since I started and some of our schools actually pay pretty well for the area.

I'm definitely getting smoked in gross pay by anyone living on the coasts obviously but eh, I'm pretty happy here.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

and some of our schools actually pay pretty well for the area.

fuckin weird

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except when they are stupid and totally failing to account for turnover. turnover is expensive as hell.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

graph posted:

fuckin weird

lol no one wants to move to the midwest

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Share Bear posted:

same

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Share Bear posted:

always move fast enough to outrun your mistakes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yea institutional knowledge is totally worthless

financially speaking, yes. your employer sure doesn't value it. institutional knowledge creates job security and might pave a path to promotion, but it won't directly get you paid.

try and imagine making that pitch to your boss. "hey i really deserve 10% this year because i know stuff about the company, which i learned over the past 5 years!" it sounds ridiculous on the face of it.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

except when they are stupid and totally failing to account for turnover. turnover is expensive as hell.

well yeah employers can still be stupid.

i was just trying to lay out an explanation for why a non-stupid employer and an otherwise loyal employee might have real good reason to end their relationship.

it can be because your employer is stupid, but they might be perfectly rational to not give you a raise. and that's just something you gotta live with. preferably at a new company.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nbsd showing off his literal 5 decades of wizened experience before he retires to a reclusive life on a doomsday farm in Kansas

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

financially speaking, yes. your employer sure doesn't value it. institutional knowledge creates job security and might pave a path to promotion, but it won't directly get you paid.

try and imagine making that pitch to your boss. "hey i really deserve 10% this year because i know stuff about the company, which i learned over the past 5 years!" it sounds ridiculous on the face of it.

i've pitched it before as hard-won familiarity w/ the business and its operations which breeds efficiency and paves the way for training newer employees

unsuccessfully

nowadays i'm just happy to get a raise that's above the inflation rate and to make managers squirm in interviews when they ask me how much i was planning on asking for

one of my coworkers wants to bring an offer from another firm before the bossman for a counter offer to get a "good raise" (we got dece 8% raises this year)

should be p funy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
current stats

USD 250000
USD 250000
USD 250000
USD 215000
USD 90000