Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is admittedly something of a chicken/egg problem. much of the what is today the nyc subway was built speculatively. tracks and stations built into farms and cowtowns. and they spent an unholy amount of money to build it all -- the first bonds for subway construction were worth something like 50% of the property value of manhattan.

and they all went bankrupt and had to have the city take them over lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Buses are cool because you don't have to drive or park

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also real "bus trains" exist

the montreal subway uses trains with rubber tires that run in a concrete track. i have never ridden it but it sounds kinda cool, if pointlessly expensive.

it's all very weird and french.

Maybe they're aping Paris who also have those

Efb by so demanding

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

buses are cool at night when there's no traffic

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

Efb by so demanding

where in paris do they have those?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

buses are cool at night when there's no traffic

also early morning in cities that arent car centric hellscapes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Here is the full timetable for the nearest bus to my house (still ~12min away)

samtrans is a joke

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

samtrans is a joke

there's a bus that goes directly from my apartment to very close to my mother's house

it runs 5 trips a day, only in afternoons, weekdays only

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mishaq posted:

where in paris do they have those?

Wikipedia says lines 1, 4, 6, 11, 14

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

Wikipedia says lines 1, 4, 6, 11, 14

:drat:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

youve also prolly ridden a rubber tire train if youve ever used a train/apm in an airport. most of those systems are rubber tire. they put less wear/tear on their right of way and can be smoother rides, but they arent any cheaper to build and the trains take slightly more maintenance

also lots of people in lots of cities take buses to work everyday in the US. like, millions of people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

youve also prolly ridden a rubber tire train if youve ever used a train/apm in an airport. most of those systems are rubber tire. they put less wear/tear on their right of way and can be smoother rides, but they arent any cheaper to build and the trains take slightly more maintenance

yeah ive noticed those are

but i had no idea several entire lines of the paris metro were :eyepop:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lomarf

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cygni posted:

also lots of people in lots of cities take buses to work everyday in the US. like, millions of people

approximately 99% of those people would rather be taking literally any other mode of transport

the other 1% are commuter buses. they have fewer of the problems that mark regular buses because they make very few stops. pick people up at three pre-arranged, pre-paid stops, drive for an hour, let everyone off.

they're really expensive but people use them voluntarily and even pay for them

Groceries Stealer
Jul 30, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

Efb by so demanding

They actually licensed the technology, RATP acted as a consultant. Also, they use brake shoes made out of wood. On line 6 in Paris you can clearly smell the burnt wood when trains get into a station, it's actually nice!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I really liked Montreal's door chime thats in tune with the sound of the train revving up, they play a little song every time they leave a station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMEzfDMksHA

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah its garbage because i actually live off the G (:smithicide:) so to transfer there i have to go past jay st anyway. but oh no reason really its just work ruining my weekends

G train best train

never has anyone hassling you for money and you never go through Manhattan. The lack of a real transfer to Atlantic Av is super annoying, and their reasoning for not providing a free swipe from Fulton is :downswords:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/G_LineReview_7_10_13.pdf

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jimmy Carter posted:

G train best train

Jimmy Carter posted:

you never go through Manhattan.
:raise:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

G train best train

never has anyone hassling you for money and you never go through Manhattan. The lack of a real transfer to Atlantic Av is super annoying, and their reasoning for not providing a free swipe from Fulton is :downswords:

the mta watches operating costs incredibly closely. on a thirteen billion dollar budget, a $1 million dollar cost to improve rider experience is the end of the freaking world. there's a long list of cool stuff you will never get for this reason. controlling operating costs is one of the mta's core missions and they are not going to back away from it. so on the operating side, if nothing else, they are trustworthy stewards of public funds.

meanwhile, on the capital side, projects go 500% overbudget and nobody cares. entire subway systems have been constructed in europe in less time and for less money than individual stations in nyc.

south ferry - a project to replace a single subway station with a new station a few yards away
  • south ferry was budgeted at 400 million

• it cost 530 million to build

• it cost another 100 million to 'remediate' problems that were present within days of the thing opening (water intrusion, leaks)

• hurricane sandy flooded it
    but the old, unsafe station was essentially un-damaged, so that's what is now in use

• repair costs are estimated at 600 million dollars -- more than it cost to dig the station in the first place... and there's no credible completion date.

east side access - a project to connect grand central to howard interlocking via a pre-existing tunnel under the east river
  • budgeted at $4.3 billion, to be started in 1999 and complete around 2009

• tunnel work under manhattan began in 2007, with a revised budget of $6.3 billion and a completion date in 2019. (at this point, all "engineering" is complete, and the feds have fully funded the project. any overages are paid by the MTA)

• by 2012, the new cost estimate was $8.4 billion

• the current cost estimate is $10.8 billion, and the current date is 2023. but both these will slip

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 13, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you'll never get your free transfer because the MTA watches operating costs too closely

but you'll never get a tunnel or station extension because nobody trusts the MTA to watch capital costs on anything, ever. and with good reason. MTA capital planning purchasing is either incompetent, corrupt, or both.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

G train best train

sorry the g train actually sucks. gently caress those unreliable baby trains

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
looks like pop is officially rolled out on all the streetcar routes http://ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Proof_of_payment.jsp

got stopped by a fare check getting off the 506 this morning

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

In the Netherlands they have one card, OV-Chip, that is used for transport in any city on any mode of public transport as well as for trains traveling within in the Netherlands. It is quite handy. I also appreciate that they charge by your distance traveled rather than per ride

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Puppet Master posted:

I also appreciate that they charge by your distance traveled rather than per ride

the fare scheme depends on development patterns and who you are trying to serve

the argument for a fixed fare is that you don't want to penalize poor people for living far from city center, and you don't want to subsidize rich people who can afford to live 5 minutes from work.

a fixed fare is not universally better than or worse than a variable fare, you just gotta consider your goals and poo poo

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the fare scheme depends on development patterns and who you are trying to serve

the argument for a fixed fare is that you don't want to penalize poor people for living far from city center, and you don't want to subsidize rich people who can afford to live 5 minutes from work.

a fixed fare is not universally better than or worse than a variable fare, you just gotta consider your goals and poo poo

That's a good point. I believe one way they try to mitigate this is by providing a discount card for more frequent riders and students (40% off the usual cost).

One other fun feature is that if you are traveling with someone who has a discount you can load a 40% discount on your own card.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

looks like pop is officially rolled out on all the streetcar routes http://ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Proof_of_payment.jsp

got stopped by a fare check getting off the 506 this morning

the last time i saw anyone from fare enforcement was when they introduced all door boarding on the 504. other than the homeless, who the hell is dodging fares these days?

The Puppet Master posted:

That's a good point. I believe one way they try to mitigate this is by providing a discount card for more frequent riders and students (40% off the usual cost).

One other fun feature is that if you are traveling with someone who has a discount you can load a 40% discount on your own card.

the TTC is tripping over themselves trying to figure out how to implement a discount plan for low income folks.

they are very bad at doing anything that has to target specific groups, so they program will probably be both massively inconvenient and if possible very demeaning to use

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people hate buses because they take for loving ever and make you late for literally any appointment you might have. it is not possible to ride a city bus and live up to basic obligations of middle class life.

the racism is incidental. since only poor people ride buses, in many urban areas, most of the faces you'll see on the bus are not white

I never thought about this before, but this must be the cause of the stereotype of always being late.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

approximately 99% of those people would rather be taking literally any other mode of transport

the other 1% are commuter buses. they have fewer of the problems that mark regular buses because they make very few stops. pick people up at three pre-arranged, pre-paid stops, drive for an hour, let everyone off.

they're really expensive but people use them voluntarily and even pay for them

I think you underestimate how convenient a good bus service can be. I often take a couple for distances which I would never drive or take a train, but because there's a bus every 3 minutes I can just turn up and hop on

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

samtrans is a joke

This on the other hand is a waste of everybody's time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

I think you underestimate how convenient a good bus service can be. I often take a couple for distances which I would never drive or take a train, but because there's a bus every 3 minutes I can just turn up and hop on

frequency is good, but on-time performance is better

neither can be guaranteed with any kind of surface bus service

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

frequency is good, but on-time performance is better

neither can be guaranteed with any kind of surface bus service

On time performance shouldn't be significantly worse than driving, and perhaps even better if you have dedicated bus lanes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
assuming no one ever boards or exits, sure

one single parent with a stroller and you're 5 minutes late

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Lomarf. Epic subway timings till a crackhead chooses this train as his epic hill to die on and lays out on the tracks. delaying service for 99999999999999999999999 minutes

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the worst subway is the one that serves sandwiches

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

Lomarf. Epic subway timings till a crackhead chooses this train as his epic hill to die on and lays out on the tracks. delaying service for 99999999999999999999999 minutes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

On time performance shouldn't be significantly worse than driving, and perhaps even better if you have dedicated bus lanes

unless you are literally the only passenger on the bus and the only vehicle on the road, it is guaranteed to be worse than driving

• buses drive a fixed route, cars do not

if traffic is heavy on a particular leg of your journey, you're free to go down some alternate path. the bus can't. it will plunge directly into the gridlock just in case someone is waiting on the bus.

• dwell times are a bitch

at the very least, you have to come to a complete stop, open the doors, and wait for people to walk on / walk off. in the average scenario, you also have to wait for them to pay at the meter, and you may have entrants and exiters using the same doors.

to insert some real data: in nyc, average bus speed is 7.5 mph. average taxi speed is 11.5 mph (despite more taxi miles being driven in high traffic areas!). bus dwell time alone makes the taxi 50% faster.

• bus bunching

this one just makes me crazy so i'll link out instead of talking about it
    http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/05/a-nifty-visualization-of-the-vicious-cycle-of-bus-bunching/393818/

in a nutshell, if there is even moderate traffic, the bus never comes when the schedule says it will.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

notorious b.u.s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
to be clear about where i am coming from, i am not saying that you shouldn't ride a bus. and investing in bus systems is still a worthwhile activity.

i just want to point out the very real reasons that millions of people will not ride a bus. it doesn't matter how nice the buses are, or how many destinations they reach, or how well designed the system is. a large fraction of the population will never ride, because the downsides of buses outweigh any upside, period.

that is ok

it is still possible to have a transit system that improves everyone's lives even if half of adults won't ride it

• Locked thread