Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Toshimo posted:

Which is IT's greatest foe:

• Sales
  • Marketing
  • HR

Leadership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Toshimo posted:

• Sales
  • Marketing
  • HR

Marketing x10000

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Sales is the worst when they lie about what IT can do, so 100% of the time.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

CLAM DOWN posted:

Marketing x10000

This. They are the ones that fill file servers with crap and then complain about it being slow when they try to use photoshop across the network.

Pro Tip: Don't use Adobe apps on files residing elsewhere, or you will have a bad time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the CTO

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Toshimo posted:

• Sales
  • Marketing
  • HR

D) Printers.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's totally HR. Can anyone say the new hire and termination handoff is as good as it could be in your head?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

It's Management. They could whip those three into shape if they weren't myopic/apathetic/complicit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Customers. So I guess that means, indirectly, sales.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

KS posted:

It's totally HR. Can anyone say the new hire and termination handoff is as good as it could be in your head?

Correct. Marketing begged and pleaded for a NAS that they never used, Sales contacted my boss's boss to explain why his IT issue was more important than anything else I have going on, but HR, week after week, could not understand that if we insist on a week lead time for new hires, we're not budging. "But it makes the company look bad when I hire people on Thursday and they don't have a computer on Monday!"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jaegerx posted:

Leadership
100% this, including its own leadership most of the time.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
The training department is my nemesis. No one else has such unrealistic ideas.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

• Sales
  • Marketing
  • HR

All of the above.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Users

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Toshimo posted:

• Sales
  • Marketing
  • HR

This is one of those great, unanswerable questions. Like a tree falling in the woods

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IT's greatest foe is itself.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

jaegerx posted:

Well I'm not sure what defines a cookie bar but one place had a milkshake machine with a huge selection of ice cream.

How obese were the employees at this place?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

At my new job I get to travel to lots of other companies and see how they treat their employees.

Snack bars seem almost mandatory at this point if you want to keep any talent.

Apparently I need to get some of this "talent." :ohdear:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
How far off list price are people normally able to negotiate? With the end of the year and budget money drying up I've been kind of blown away - get quotes from vendors for like $12000, say "welp we don't have the money for that", they come back with "we managed to get it down to $8500". How low does this stuff actually go?

Also I guess the moral here is "never pay list price"?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just found out one of our contractors is being let go because he is in the hospital for an unknown amount of time (something with dialysis). And the dude they want to replace him with is so bad that we are just going to cut that guy loose in a month. And the other guy we wanted is in India for an unknown amount of time, so we don't know if we're getting him.

So, we'll be down 3 dudes, and one guy is getting kicked to the curb just in time for Xmas.

Where is my :whisky: emote?

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

ChickenWing posted:

Hey IT nerds you might know the answer to this question:

I'm currently running windows 8.1 with server 2012 deduplication roles on my personal machine. I want to upgrade to win 10. This was impossible with 2012 dedupe roles, without disabling deduplication. Apparently, the 2016 files have been released so that you can enable deduplication on 10 now. What I want to know is, if I upgrade and install the 2016 deduplication roles, will I be able to recover my 2012-deduped data? Or am I SOL until I de-dedupe my current install?

The only safe option is to reinflate the data before you upgrade or wipe it and restore it from backup after you upgrade. 2016 isn't RTM yet and even ReFS volumes have broken between TPs, so don't expect an against-EULA hack job with dedupe to survive or even behave consistently.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

keseph posted:

The only safe option is to reinflate the data before you upgrade or wipe it and restore it from backup after you upgrade. 2016 isn't RTM yet and even ReFS volumes have broken between TPs, so don't expect an against-EULA hack job with dedupe to survive or even behave consistently.

That's sorta what I figured. Luckily, it won't be nearly half as bad as I expected - I've saved a decent bit of space, but nowhere near enough to have problems reinflating.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sheep posted:

How far off list price are people normally able to negotiate? With the end of the year and budget money drying up I've been kind of blown away - get quotes from vendors for like $12000, say "welp we don't have the money for that", they come back with "we managed to get it down to $8500". How low does this stuff actually go?

Depends on what exactly you are purchasing but %99 of the time list price is complete bullshit. For most things you should be able to get %50 off list pretty easily. If you do a lot of volume through a vendor you may get another %10 or so and if you come across a sales guy who needs to hit a number no matter how unprofitable you can probaly hit %75-80 off list price.

Personally I would pay more for them to quit calling me every loving day and trying to quote me for stuff I dont need.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sheep posted:

It varies, but it's often pretty extreme. I recently got a software cost quoted at 275k down to 140k and I'm pretty sure I could have gone lower.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

We recently had a company come down from 300k to roughly 125k for a product we wanted. You can be pretty aggressive, especially at the end of the year.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have a replacement San quote in front of me that is 55% off list. We can likely do better since we haven't kicked in the refresh for our DR San yet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a £120k IBM SAN quote down to £38k a couple years back.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sheep posted:

Depends. Software the cuts are amazing at the end of every quarter/year. A 20k quote should be purchased for no more than 8k or 9k towards the end of the year.

Hardware varies a lot more. We made a switch to a new network vendor last year, original quote was 330k for new core/edge switches, final price was around 170k iirc, I waited for the end of their quarter to buy.

I'm buying for our new building next week, I don't need the switches until May, but getting 50-60% off the original 'gold tier' pricing is worth having them sit in boxes in my data center.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

Depends. Software the cuts are amazing at the end of every quarter/year. A 20k quote should be purchased for no more than 8k or 9k towards the end of the year.

Hardware varies a lot more. We made a switch to a new network vendor last year, original quote was 330k for new core/edge switches, final price was around 170k iirc, I waited for the end of their quarter to buy.

I'm buying for our new building next week, I don't need the switches until May, but getting 50-60% off the original 'gold tier' pricing is worth having them sit in boxes in my data center.
I'll also note that the key date is typically the end of the company's fiscal quarter/year, which may not necessarily line up with the calendar year (but often does, especially for privately-held companies). HP's fiscal year, for example, runs from November 1 to October 31.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah knowing your vendors(and if you're a MSP, your clients) fiscal calendar is a good way to get poo poo in that might otherwise be unattractive at another time of the year

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sheep posted:

A lot of it depends. I work for a partner reseller, and our salespeople are typically willing to take a cut to their hardware margins if the customer starts tacking on things like professional services and additional support packages, which typically have a much higher gross profit. Then there's also times when partners and even vendors will be willing to take a hit to their margins in order to position a particular system or product that is considered strategic and that will generate future hardware or service sales. For example, if we can replace a couple of EoL switches in your data center with Nexus 9ks on the cheap, it's very likely that you'll be coming back to us for more Nexus stuff (and probably consulting services) down the line.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 15, 2015

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You also definitely want to play vendors against each other. If they can come in and replace all of Vendor X's gear with their own, or beat them on a big sale, they'll often go to great lengths to make that happen. A simple "Gee, NetApp, thanks for the quote. We just got one in from EMC that is extremely aggressive, too. I'm really going to have to think about this" can have a 10%+ lower quote in your inbox before you finish clicking Send.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Docjowles posted:

You also definitely want to play vendors against each other. If they can come in and replace all of Vendor X's gear with their own, or beat them on a big sale, they'll often go to great lengths to make that happen. A simple "Gee, NetApp, thanks for the quote. We just got one in from EMC that is extremely aggressive, too. I'm really going to have to think about this" can have a 10%+ lower quote in your inbox before you finish clicking Send.

Yup, because once their equipment is in there, you're likely to buy it again rather than switch to a new vendor and learn all new stuff/change everything around.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Cisco's standard discount with no negotiation or special pricing is like 42 off list for route and switch and over 60 for some products like UCS and collab. You can easily get into the 50s and 70s with deal registration.

Yes, never pay list.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

On the other hand, good relationships with your sales contacts are also super-important. I've had a much better time building rivalries between teams who are constantly fighting for the sale than I have trying to haggle with vague threats of competition.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I wasn't suggesting you lie about it. If you're doing your due diligence you really should have quotes from multiple sources. Just saying that instead of stopping at the first round of quotes, you can then use that information to go back to the negotiating table.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KS posted:

Cisco's standard discount with no negotiation or special pricing is like 42 off list for route and switch and over 60 for some products like UCS and collab. You can easily get into the 50s and 70s with deal registration.

Yes, never pay list.

I've got a quote in hand for 82% off on some UCS gear. It was still much higher than the winning bidder.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had a wierd/good closed door conversation with my director today. Good part is that i'm still getting my quarterly bonus even though I didn't hit the second half of my goal sheet, since I was sidetracked for a month with an unexpected high priority project.

Wierd part is that he knows the Sr. Admin is looking, and wants me to quietly start looking into and understanding the infrastructure the Sr. Admin is in charge of. He then in not so many words expressed his displeasure with the Sr. Admin's work ethic and how he was quickly heading in the wrong direction with some of his projects. Somewhat unprofessional as a manager in my opinion, that's the kind of thing you say to a managerial peer, not a subordinate about another subordinate.

Bodes well though, here's hoping for a promotion soon. :getin:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 16, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Docjowles posted:

I wasn't suggesting you lie about it. If you're doing your due diligence you really should have quotes from multiple sources. Just saying that instead of stopping at the first round of quotes, you can then use that information to go back to the negotiating table.

I definitely recommend this. For example, Cisco is scared poo poo less of Palo, especially when it comes to anything layer 7 in small and medium sized environments. And Palo is better for those environments, but you can usually get a great deal from Cisco if you hit them with a Palo quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
50% or you aren't trying. Our VAR knows we know the scoop and doesn't gently caress around with us until it's near there.