Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

No one got what they wanted. And strangely, everyone (who is still alive) is ok with that.

Brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

ashpanash posted:

No one got what they wanted. And strangely, everyone (who is still alive) is ok with that.

Brilliant.

Actually, Betsy Solverson got what she wanted. She didn't get the sugar pills!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

That was kinda anticlimactic.

That's because the climax was last episode - this was the denouement.

The show was so confident this year, I got chills multiple times this season. Excellent casting, wonderful styling, great dialogue, funny, horrific, goofy, profound. An incredible season of TV, one of my favourites ever.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

That was really loving good.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Their use of War Pigs was straight up impressive. Off the top of my head, aside from The Fog of War, I can't think of a single better use of music. It was perfectly suited to loving three scenes, seamlessly stitched two of them together and was a great little transitional item for the third.

And here I was thinking they couldn't top season one

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Near the end, putting the book back....I remember going to the library and reading the Great Brain books several times, what must be 20 years ago. Hadn't thought of them in forever.

Which is to say: amazing show.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I hope they never revisit Mike Milligan. Having him end up in an office after dreaming of being a kingpin seems like the ultimate punishment to an antagonist in a series.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Mike got promoted into his own personal hell. That was beautiful.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ave Azaria posted:

Mike got promoted into his own personal hell. That was beautiful.

Yeah, the cold, hard reality of his personal future.. He thought he was going to be a feudal lord. He was going to take over the Gerhart mansion and rule it's people as king. Instead, it all gets passed to some middle manager, while he gets a tiny office with a window and loses all sense of self. All his work for nothing.

Give the people who worked on this show all the awards. Make up awards for this show. This is the best thing I've ever watched.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 15, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Wait, so if Hanzee ends up being the Fargo boss from S1, are we to assume that those two deaf kids playing baseball are Wrench and Numbers?

What a killer season, I think I might like it more than S1.

edit: Should have read the last few pages I guess!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jehde posted:

Dies: Ed, Dodd, Simone, Constance

Lives: Lou, Molly, Hanzee, Charlie

Aliens: Reagan, Peggy, Betsy, Milligan

I still stand by my alien claims. :colbert:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Brock Samson posted:

Everyone go rewatch the dreams of the future from the beginning.

It's an homage to Raising Arizona.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Echoing what's been posted a bunch of times before but that was such an amazing show from start to finish.

Is there a list of the songs used throughout S2 somewhere other than Spotify which doesn't work for me?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This episode was loving tremendous up until that...just...whatever the gently caress scene with Ted Danson talking about languages and then just...just wow that was...that was loving terrible. A rancid scene to cap a near-perfect season in Fargo S2

Bazino Bazino
Feb 14, 2007
The kid whose hair is on fire.
Loved the season, but the Danson' symbols just bluntly explained...
and implying the magical Indian turning into the fat white guy...

Sometimes you just go to bed unsatisfied.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I would have preferred Hanzee being Marlo than ending up as some fat white guy who gets unceremoniously murdered off screen.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I would have preferred Hanzee being Marlo than ending up as some fat white guy who gets unceremoniously murdered off screen.

too bad it was based off a real story...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

For a season that arguably had a problem with overlong episodes, it's pretty bewildering that this season's finale felt at least ten minutes too short

I don't want or expect perfect closure for everybody who was on the show but the complete lack of focus the finale gave to a whole bunch of characters who were important enough to get casting announcements and major screentime beforehand exacerbates the issue. It's like the show forgot the importance the show gave to people like Karl or Ronald Reagan or Charlie. even, to an extent, people like Noreen who basically ghosted out of the narrative despite having become important enough to feature prominently in the second-to-last scene.

Of all the characters Mike gets the best ending, where his whole narrative throughout season 2 has a clear moralistic message even though he "wins". Everyone else the show sorta shuffles from side to side, shrugs their shoulders, and goes "dunno".

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

For a season that arguably had a problem with overlong episodes, it's pretty bewildering that this season's finale felt at least ten minutes too short

I don't want or expect perfect closure for everybody who was on the show but the complete lack of focus the finale gave to a whole bunch of characters who were important enough to get casting announcements and major screentime beforehand exacerbates the issue. It's like the show forgot the importance the show gave to people like Karl or Ronald Reagan or Charlie. even, to an extent, people like Noreen who basically ghosted out of the narrative despite having become important enough to feature prominently in the second-to-last scene.

Of all the characters Mike gets the best ending, where his whole narrative throughout season 2 has a clear moralistic message even though he "wins". Everyone else the show sorta shuffles from side to side, shrugs their shoulders, and goes "dunno".

You say you don't want or expect perfect closure but wouldn't the finale lack even more focus and have even less closure if they crammed in all the other remaining characters into the last 50 minutes? I don't really get what you're trying to say here. What would you have done differently?

e- Also, you might be looking a bit to hard for something that's wrong. I think I remember you taking a pretty sizable dump on last weeks episode as well. It's easier to sit back and enjoy it for the masterpiece that it was. There are maybe a couple seasons of TV ever that can rival what we just watched.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 15, 2015

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

That was phenomenal.

And if you don't agree, well then you're just a big silly!

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

I can understand why some people are down on this season. They took a lot of chances stylistically, so if you had a problem with the constant split-screen for no reason, the unexplained aliens, or anything else I get it.

For me, though, every single one of those choices landed perfectly, and it really makes the show spectacular. Like, in any other show the whole alien business or Martin Freeman narrating in episode nine would have made me really annoyed, but the way Noah Hawley pulled it off was absolutely perfect.

Lost Season fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 15, 2015

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Thought this season was one of the best I've seen of any TV show.

Never really paid much attention to Kirsten Dunst's acting before, but thought her work this season was definitely Emmy material. I was really impressed by scenes in which she doesn't say anything, but acts/reacts with her eyes and face - really subtle stuff that conveys a wealth of inner-thoughts and emotions.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Lost Season posted:

I can understand why some people are down on this season.

Wait, who the gently caress is down on this season? And why haven't they been banished to watching reality tv?

If anything, I only hear people complain about the UFO and that this episode didn't somehow magically one up the built up climax of the last episode. Which those people can go gently caress themselves.

This was perfect.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
fargo season 2 is top 3 best televion evar for me :D

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
oh god drat it, ignore me

e: Sorry. I suck at posting and messed up my spoiler tag--trying to be courteous about poo poo like that. What I had said was:
I love the attention given to fleshing out characters even as the the story ends. Individual stories, too. I haven't gotten to catch up with the thread's discussion yet, but if the location of Ed's death has been given no attention I will be wholly surprised.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 15, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

AndyElusive posted:

Is there a list of the songs used throughout S2 somewhere other than Spotify which doesn't work for me?
This is a list with previews and links to buy the songs so you can make your own soundtrack.
http://www.tunefind.com/show/fargo/season-2

This is basically another Spotify (why doesn't that work for you?) but the playlist is a lot smaller.
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/b6ed406e-5d95-4438-b171-fb588f0604e3

Toxxupation posted:

This episode was loving tremendous up until that...just...whatever the gently caress scene with Ted Danson talking about languages and then just...just wow that was...that was loving terrible. A rancid scene to cap a near-perfect season in Fargo S2
It ties back nicely to Peggy sitting in Lou's car, unable to articulate what's going on in her head.

Also I can loving guarantee you that if the episode had crammed in every side character this season you'd be in here right now bitching about how everything was too rushed. And I don't even know what you mean when you say "Noreen ghosted out of the narrative".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this episode was somewhat underwhelming, but as its been said, last week was the climax - this week just wrapped up loose strings. Still, it seemed odd to leave Charlie out of the Gerhart montage. Then again, maybe it was for dead Gerharts only.

The nods to Raising Arizona were a bit heavy handed. I'm surprised Peggie didn't grab some Huggies on her way to the cooler to use a diaper on Ed's wound.

Maybe put a panty hose on her head in the cooler to help filter the smoke.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
I don't know if someone mentioned this already, but the story Lou tells about the Vietnamese helicopter pilot is true:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/vietnam-sea-rescue/

"The Kirk's crew tried to wave Nguyen away. Its landing deck was too small for the Chinook. If Nguyen tried to land, the Chinook's blades could tear into the ship, killing passengers and crew."

"Nguyen had an idea. He radioed the Kirk that he would hover just above the deck. Then he would order his wife and three children to take their chances by jumping out of the helicopter, into the arms of sailors."

"Somehow Nugyen took off his flight suit and his shoulder holster -- all while working various sticks and controls to keep the massive helicopter stationary. One pilot who watched it said he couldn't figure out how Nguyen undressed while keeping the Chinook stationary. Nguyen then rolled the helicopter with its whirring blades to the right, away from the ship. As it began to tumble over and hit the water, he jumped into the sea."

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Toxxupation posted:

That was a great scene! Are you a bit touched

bows1 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 15, 2015

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
Coen Brothers references:
-opening dream sequence (Raising Arizona)
-Hanzee shooting the guy whose car Ed and Peggy try to get into (No Country For Old Men)
-Milligan calling someone "friendo" (No Country For Old Men)
-Lou and Peggy's ride back to Minnesota (Fargo)

Did I miss any?

Toxxupation posted:

You understand that that was a thematic character moment, right? Like, about how people deal with tragedy, one of the main themes of the season? Or did you just want Ted Danson's head to come off and crawl across the floor like a Cronenberg movie?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

buddhanc posted:

You say you don't want or expect perfect closure but wouldn't the finale lack even more focus and have even less closure if they crammed in all the other remaining characters into the last 50 minutes? I don't really get what you're trying to say here. What would you have done differently?

I wanted a sense of closure. I received very little of it

The Lou stuff closes out well, for instance. i don't see, nor need to see, every single thing that happens in his life after the conclusion of the season- don't need to see him get shot at a stoplight, don't need to see him found a restaurant. His story within the bounds of Fargo season 2 is over, but it's obviously still continuing (up to and past season 1). There's still a sense of ambiguity but for the most part his tale has been told

Mike is another high point. Another non-definitive end that works as dramatic irony, that doesn't spell out exactly everything that happens to him from 1979 onwards

Everyone else is sort of forgotten about, neglected, or gets awful closure. It says a lot for a show that has flying saucers as a literal plot point that having Hanzee become a barely-remembered white mob boss who's unceremoniously killed off in season 1 somehow breaks immersion, but here we are. I didn't need to know what happened to Hanzee after the showdown at the motel, he could've disappeared into the ether and I'd have been fine with that. In contrast, I'd have liked to have seen anything about Karl, Ronald Reagan, Charlie, Noreen, Hank, even (to a much lesser extent) Peggy...they did not need to be long sequences. It could've been a shot of Bruce Campbell as Reagan assuming the presidency, Peggy and/or Charlie in jail...just some sense that these people still exist in this world and this time, and some implication of what happened to them. There was so much focus and so much emphasis on these characters - especially Karl, Charlie, and Noreen - that the fact that all three are basically completely forgotten about once they serve their plot purpose is a downright misstep. Did the only purpose Karl and Charlie serve as characters was so there'd be that police station showdown episode? because they literally do not exist on the show after it

like, this was the season finale. it totally didn't feel like one, and it made the episode's missteps all the worse because this was time they could've spent touching on/showing what the supporting characters were doing and instead they spent it with Hank either talking about a pointless non sequitur or underlying the season's central theme- miscommunication is the root of all the problems in this season - in a really obvious and forced way, that also backhandedly ruined one of the most enjoyable mysteries of the season

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 15, 2015

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I agree, maybe freeze frame on each character and tell us what happened to them with a little piece of text! "Senator and Mrs. John Blutarsky." Because how else would you get a sense of closure?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

centaurtainment posted:

I agree, maybe freeze frame on each character and tell us what happened to them with a little piece of text! "Senator and Mrs. John Blutarsky." Because how else would you get a sense of closure?

I enjoy that you use this as a strawman when the literal episode had a literal scene with Ted Danson going THIS IS WHAT THE SEASON HAS BEEN ABOUT. like the concept that "miscommunication is the greatest problem of all" ia an impossible idea to grasp unless Sam from cheers spends five minutes monotonously explaining it. an eighties college movie credits montage would've literally been more subtle than that

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

This is a list with previews and links to buy the songs so you can make your own soundtrack.
http://www.tunefind.com/show/fargo/season-2

This is basically another Spotify (why doesn't that work for you?) but the playlist is a lot smaller.
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/b6ed406e-5d95-4438-b171-fb588f0604e3

Thanks, you rock. And I'm not sure why a previous link to Spotify didn't work, but both of your links work fine. So double thanks for that. Really appreciated. You're good people don'tcha know?

Toxxupation posted:

I wanted a sense of closure. I received very little of it

He's got a point here, Season 1 had a much better sense of closure than Season 2 did. It really did leave me feeling like I wanted to know more, but I was ok with that. At the same time Season 2 was very much a different beast from Season 1 and the general feeling of the final episode really did feel in line with how everything was progressing the entire time. I mean, when you think about it, we actually already kind of have a vague idea of how everything pans out due to it taking place in the past.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I got cooler and cooler on the season as season 2 started using more and more plot crutches and narrative shortcuts- seriously, someone explain to me how two cops in a cop car who knew exactly where a suspect they were apprehending was going to the point that one of them literally says "don't bother" as the suspect escapes on foot got beaten to a location by somebody on foot - to the point where I was holding off judgement on the season as a whole considering how clearly finale-focused this season was in comparison to season one. in contrast to season one which was much more about the journey over the destination, season two was built around the payoff of its finale, so the fact that it's an altogether inelegant and loose one leaves me kind of all shrugs about season 2 as a whole

it was still great tv, on the whole, but nowhere near best of all time. i dont think it even manages to beat season 1

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Toxxupation posted:

I enjoy that you use this as a strawman when the literal episode had a literal scene with Ted Danson going THIS IS WHAT THE SEASON HAS BEEN ABOUT. like the concept that "miscommunication is the greatest problem of all" ia an impossible idea to grasp unless Sam from cheers spends five minutes monotonously explaining it. an eighties college movie credits montage would've literally been more subtle than that

I mean, I feel you, but it is kind of strange to complain about not receiving any closure and then in the same breath bitch about a scene that provides, as you say, a very literal sense of closure on the whole season. Instead of breaking down into a "where are they now?" montage of all the characters set to a cover of a Dr. John song, Hawley put in a scene that wrapped everything up thematically. It is on the nose, but it's incredibly economical from a storytelling perspective, and I thought Danson sold it (along with Lou and Betsy's reactions).

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 15, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

centaurtainment posted:

I mean, I feel you, but it is kind of strange to complain about not receiving any closure and then in the same breath bitch about a scene that provides, as you say, a very literal sense of closure on the whole season. Instead of breaking down into a "where are they now?" montage of all the characters set to a cover of a Dr. John song, Hawley put in a scene that wrapped everything up thematically. It is on the nose, but it's incredibly economical from a storytelling perspective, and I thought Danson sold it (along with Lou and Betsy's reactions).

that's the point. a lot of the closure that the season finale provided was not good closure. Like that Hanzee poo poo was straight-up just bad. I shouldn't respond to a revelation of that magnitude with "wait, who? oh, that loving nobody? who the gently caress cares?"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Looks like the next Fargo season won't drop until Spring 2017, per Noah Hawley via Daniel Fienberg.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Nevermind.

I just find it easier to enjoy great television without delving into the logic of police work and other trivial matters.

Hope season 3 is in the future!

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If any of you didn't find it humorous that S2 badass Hanzee transforms into S1 Fat White Fargo Mob Boss Moses Tripoli than I'm sorry but you need to be pushed into a wood chipper. Them's the rules around here.

• Locked thread