Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

old man partners w/ cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Condiv posted:

tech bubble?

I read all of it and lol at that ge guy.

"The market is fine, there is no bubble and we're on the cusp of a billion dollar industry for engines, fridges, washing machines, trains. Huh, wouldn't you know it, we make those things" says ge futurist hoping to drive up the stock near year end so his bonus will be better.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
so toronto is kind of a hotbed right now, last week all our cab drivers went on strike over uber and occupied a lot of the main intersections and basically shut down the city. i went down and chatted with a few and they were all pretty well informed, were all against UberX, not UberBlack or any of the sensical services.

this week uber decided to try and take on the TTC too which should be real interesting

quote:

TTC launches legal review to see if Uber’s new shuttle service, uberHOP, infringes on its monopoly

Toronto Transit Commission called its lawyers Monday to figure out whether Uber’s new shuttle service threatens the TTC’s legally mandated monopoly in the city.

“(The City of Toronto Act) is very specific,” TTC CEO Andy Byford said Monday. “The TTC and only the TTC can run mass transit in this city.”

On Monday morning, Byford woke up to a mass email announcing uberHOP, which will send SUVs and vans to collect up to six riders and ferry them to the financial district at $5 a head.

UberHOP will start Tuesday with pick-ups in Liberty Village, Fort York, City Place and the Distillery District — essentially rescuing commuters from the infamously overwhelmed Queen and King streetcars.

Shortly after the announcement, city officials were asking TTC staff if the new service violated the City of Toronto Act, which prohibits anyone other than the TTC from operating “a local transport system.” TTC lawyers will review the matter and report back.

“It’s not really a question of going after people,” Byford said. “We just have to make sure the rules are applied.”

“I’m not anti-Uber but my loyalty is to the TTC,” Byford said. “I thought it was kind of ironic that the head of the TTC should be sent an Uber invitation. … I can tell you now I will be continuing to use the 504 King streetcar.”

lol

not gonna quote the whole thing 'cause it's real long

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psM1R8GsC_A

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 15, 2015

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Condiv posted:

tech bubble?

“The next big wave of innovation won't be new on-demand services or video streaming,” he says. “It's time to apply the same energy to solving big challenges in healthcare, infrastructure, power and transportation.”

Ironically, these are four industries furthest removed from the assumptions required to make "the free market" an "efficient market," and they require the most government intervention.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The smart grid is going to be neat but lol at the idea that GE is going to be a leader in anything

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peztopiary posted:

The smart grid is going to be neat but lol at the idea that GE is going to be a leader in anything

they're still the leader in nuclear weapons manufacturing by sheer volume even though they stopped a few decades ago, so there's that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would have assumed some russian bureau was the world leader in that

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

seattle unanimously votes to allow uber drivers to unionise

fuckin beautiful

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i would have assumed some russian bureau was the world leader in that

we made something like 2-3 times more total weapons than they did, as far as we can tell. i guess it's still possible for this to be the case though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

our war plan for 30 years was "destroy every Russian city" and we built things like atomic artillery and thousands of atomic shells to go with it of course we built 999,999 nukes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

our war plan for 30 years was "destroy every Russian city" and we built things like atomic artillery and thousands of atomic shells to go with it of course we built 999,999 nukes

the atomic artillery and shells and neutron bombs were to stop a russian invasion of Europe. the ICBM's were for destroying everything ever.

to attempt to head off this inevitable atomic strategy derail let me just say to check out the book On Thermonuclear War, a policy analysis done by RAND in the early 60's of all sorts of nuclear strategy, "how to win a nuclear war", etc. it's incredibly dry but coined great terms like "tragic but distinguishable post-war states" and the character of Dr. Strangelove was partially based on the guy who wrote it, and several lines from it were directly used in the movie (like the one I just said, by General Turgidson).

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 15, 2015

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

“We can now create a "digital twin" for every engine, every turbine, every MR scanner. Through data modeling of physical assets, these machines can be continually tuned, continually upgraded and made more valuable in a scalable and adaptable way.”
                                         |

ge man explains cad to normal people.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ArmZ posted:

“The next big wave of innovation won't be new on-demand services or video streaming,” he says. “It's time to apply the same energy to solving big challenges in healthcare, infrastructure, power and transportation.”

Ironically, these are four industries furthest removed from the assumptions required to make "the free market" an "efficient market," and they require the most government intervention.

hes 100% correct.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all significant cost savings in healthcare in the near future will come from moving to the same process and quality control systems that manufacturing went to in the 80s and 90s. GE is probably one of the best to understand and provide implementations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

too bad God's not a six sigma black belt

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Condiv posted:

tech bubble?

"But the lack of transparency hurts everyone. Some start-up CEOs didn't know their mutual fund investors would publicly disclose their valuations until Fidelity started marking them down and the press caught on to it. Some early-stage venture investors didn't know their portfolio companies had ratchets in place — terms that dilute their shares if the last investors don't achieve their desired return — until their companies went public"

that's pretty lol if true.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shaggar posted:

all significant cost savings in healthcare in the near future will come from moving to the same process and quality control systems that manufacturing went to in the 80s and 90s. GE is probably one of the best to understand and provide implementations.

and i love it because it will fund my career for 30+ years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

so we'll outsource our hospitals to China?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

so we'll outsource our hospitals to China?

the US is still the world's largest manufacturer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
GE is probably a good place to work for the future if you're into healthcare. the dude in that article is right about them being in a good spot, theoretically. they do healthcare equipment and software and they've been in industrial systems forever so if any company could provide an entire stack to healthcare providers its them.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

let me tell you about the AMA

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah a lot of very bad doctors are going to have to eat poo poo for the system to be fixed.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

"Let me check my six sigma flowchart."

-Something a doctor will never say.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the idea would be that the EMR enforces certain processes and any deviations require justification so nothing is lost. The results data in the EMR gives you very good scientific evidence to use in developing new process theories. You then implement them as slight changes to the process in the EMR, then check the results to see if you got your desired improvements.

its gonna be rad as gently caress.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
*improves outcomes by 5% and lowers costs by 10% on procedure done 1 million times a year*

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol at viewing metrics as anything other than meaningless

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

old man partners w/ cloud

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Stymie posted:

lol at viewing life as anything other than meaningless

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
tech bubble: Call it schaden-funding.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

the idea would be that the EMR enforces certain processes and any deviations require justification so nothing is lost. The results data in the EMR gives you very good scientific evidence to use in developing new process theories. You then implement them as slight changes to the process in the EMR, then check the results to see if you got your desired improvements.

its gonna be rad as gently caress.

good luck selling a doctor a computer that tells him what to do

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That's why you sell it to the hospital administrators first.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

looks like gilt is getting to the end of its stumbling zombie phase

quote:

Gilt Groupe is likely in its last days or months as a standalone company, and the story of why is about two things: The market it bet on and its failed business expansion.

The company is in talks to sell to Hudson’s Bay Company, the parent company of Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor, according to two sources. While the talks are serious, one person cautioned that another buyer could emerge to acquire the company instead. The Wall Street Journal first reported the possibility of the sale for $250 million, less than what Gilt raised from investors and about a quarter of its one-time private valuation.

No matter who the buyer is, multiple sources expect Gilt to sell to someone in the not so distant future. And the story of why Gilt is in a position where it is being forced to sell has two sides. The writing has been on the wall since early this year when Gilt raised around $50 million in a last-ditch effort to reignite growth.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

the atomic artillery and shells and neutron bombs were to stop a russian invasion of Europe. the ICBM's were for destroying everything ever.

to attempt to head off this inevitable atomic strategy derail let me just say to check out the book On Thermonuclear War, a policy analysis done by RAND in the early 60's of all sorts of nuclear strategy, "how to win a nuclear war", etc. it's incredibly dry but coined great terms like "tragic but distinguishable post-war states" and the character of Dr. Strangelove was partially based on the guy who wrote it, and several lines from it were directly used in the movie (like the one I just said, by General Turgidson).

dr strangelove may be my favorite movie :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

you trick the doctor into thinking that it was his idea

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah basically

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

he's not wrong but don't quote stymie you loving idiot. it only emboldens him.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

looks like gilt is getting to the end of its stumbling zombie phase

man gilt sample sales owned, good selection and free booze for when you're waiting for your more stylish/bargain hunter friends

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the m bison yes gif

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

one of the problems with emr is that doctors are lazy as poo poo and also greedy so many of them set their emr systems to autopopulate fields with poo poo they didn't do but were supposed to or are able to bill insurance for.

maybe the feeling of human contact so aroused you during the intake check of vitals that you had a bp of 145/70... congrats you now have a hypertension diagnosis code on your chart and your insurance just got billed for your doctor grunting when they see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol. is this at all enforceable

tldr: now uber's arbitration provision disallows drivers from participating in class action lawsuits

• Locked thread