Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

satanic splash-back posted:

*spins weightless light beam around to build momentum*

in the good movies they act as if the lightsabers have weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

in the good movies they act as if the lightsabers have weight.

Thanks for explaining my post, I know the nuances were hard to grasp, but here you are, explaining it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ok thats pretty cool. Dark side weeaboo is pissed.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

But...energy equals mass, man. :350:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ahahaha I looked this up and this is the best part: some dude who lives above Mann's theater is liveblogging it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/14/that-star-wars-the-force-awakens-premiere-from-above-courtesy-of-akira-the-don/

:peanut:

Pleaes let this be a meme:
https://twitter.com/akirathedon/status/676555238602506240/video/1

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 15, 2015

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

I'd agree with you but there is value in being unpredictable with your strikes.

What I'm saying is his moving his whole body to spin and keep Finn off his guard is better than Obi Wan and Anakin standing with planted feet spinning their lightsabers at each other.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Booblord Zagats posted:

If knowing the facts beforehand ruins a movie for you, you're a big ol baby who obviously can't watch documentaries or true stories

I get it for like big twists to a degree, but a story well told doesn't have to rely on cheap surprises. I am not unsympathetic but I think "no spoilers!!!" culture has gone a bit far!

Someone was sour on me for ruining the "reveal" in Star Trek 12 that the guy they were claiming was not Khan in the prerelease press was actually Khan. I think I mentioned it shortly after release post pondering if it's cool recasting a Sikh played by a Mexican to be played by The Whitest Guy.

There's like, zero point to that "mystery," because the only thing it changes is the guy who was called something is called something else. The stakes are the same. The only one the "surprise" means anything to is an obsessive fanboy audience.

Hell, I had someone mad at me for spoiling loving Beowulf before it came out by mentioning events that occurred in the 9th century epic poem. BEOWULF.

I mean we've probably all been spoiled by the FYAD forum title and that doesn't really make much of a dent for me. Seems like a sensible story development and I'm more interested in how that plays out in context, the story they tell about it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

What I'm saying is his moving his whole body to spin and keep Finn off his guard is better than Obi Wan and Anakin standing with planted feet spinning their lightsabers at each other.

nah it's bad, but it's .5 seconds of the fight so hopefully it's just one little flourish and they mostly do lightsaber claymores.

*just sort of extends his lightsaber a little as you spin-flip towards him while facing away, watches you basically bisect yourself.*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't optimal lightsaber fighting look a lot like, well, sabre fighting? Like fencing in the Olympics or something?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Otisburg posted:

I get it for like big twists to a degree, but a story well told doesn't have to rely on cheap surprises. I am not unsympathetic but I think "no spoilers!!!" culture has gone a bit far!

Someone was sour on me for ruining the "reveal" in Star Trek 12 that the guy they were claiming was not Khan in the prerelease press was actually Khan. I think I mentioned it shortly after release post pondering if it's cool recasting a Sikh played by a Mexican to be played by The Whitest Guy.

There's like, zero point to that "mystery," because the only thing it changes is the guy who was called something is called something else. The stakes are the same. The only one the "surprise" means anything to is an obsessive fanboy audience.

You're right about how pointless that reveal was. I have very little interest in Star Trek, but I watched Wrath of Khan because it was supposedly good even for non-fans. And it worked- I got what I needed. I'd never seen Space Seed, but it didn't matter- I didn't know who Khan was, but his appearance had an impact because it was clear Kirk knew who he was. I gather STIO was the exact opposite- the name Khan had significance to the audience, but none to the characters. So it was a meaningless twist in the context of its own story.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah iirc, the 'Khan' reveal in ST12 didn't change anything. It was a good movie at the time, but yeah an hour later you can't remember it.

There's no point in needlessly spoiling people though, quite a lot of movies are enhanced by watching them blind at least once.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Mystery" is JJ's gimmick. I doesn't matter whether it works or not or even appropriate, got to have "Mystery". Also always forget about the payoff. Star Wars 7 is going to have plenty of "Mystery" and absolutely no payoff. Character assassination is also on the cards.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This was the most insulting kind of "mystery." It worked only on a meta-narrative fanboy level.

Since this Kirk had never met or done anything with Khan, there was zero narrative weight to the reveal. I mean it's hard to overstate how dumb it is; that within the context of the story the reveal truly was "A guy who said his name was one thing later said his name was a different thing."

And yeah, the fact that JJ is gonna feel compelled to shoehorn in some "mystery" is not encouraging. The last time a Starwar tried to do a mystery the resolution was "an obvious pseudonym for the main bad guy cloned fan-favorite Boba Fett's Father-Uncle-Sibling to make all the proto-stormtroopers, and knowing this the Jedi are just going to gloss over that and command this conveniently prebaked army of slave soldiers without any objections or further investigation."

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

That black dude is gonna get his rear end beat. I kinda feel sorry for him.

Black lives matter.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"join the dark side"
"never!"
"stop resisting! stop resisting!"

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just swing the drat laser sword around like a baseball bat.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
They should make blasters that fire light saber bolts or whatever

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PostNouveau posted:

Wouldn't optimal lightsaber fighting look a lot like, well, sabre fighting? Like fencing in the Olympics or something?

Probably foil since I fence saber and there's no need to get the cutting motion when you can just stab. Count Dooku had the right idea. :3:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Chill la Chill posted:

Probably foil since I fence saber and there's no need to get the cutting motion when you can just stab. Count Dooku had the right idea. :3:

That or Sam Jackson's basic kendo style

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Well alright that's fine, but the followup is that that would be boring as poo poo on screen. People aren't even interested in watching foil fighting when it's an Olympic event, so hell yeah the movie's fights aren't going to be choreographed like a realistic fight would go.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Look at the last fight in Rob Roy but with laser swords instead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

just watch luke vs vader x2(though luke does a little spin move on bespin i think)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

PostNouveau posted:

Well alright that's fine, but the followup is that that would be boring as poo poo on screen. People aren't even interested in watching foil fighting when it's an Olympic event, so hell yeah the movie's fights aren't going to be choreographed like a realistic fight would go.

I'd watch Olympic fencing if it was with laser swords and dudes got dead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PostNouveau posted:

:agreed: that's why I went saber. Since fencers at the collegiate level are the saddest sacks of lazy shits ever, I can out-stamina and therefore out-tempo them through several matches lol.

Anyway, they were choreographed as realistic Kenjutsu fighting in the OT which works. There was never any need to to do the twirling fancy crap that ended up looking even more boring than foil fencing. At least with the latter you have a reasonable amount of expectation that they're actually trying to hit each other.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I'd settle for this to be honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6dgtBU6Gs

It's a film for chilluns. I don't have really great expectations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the same guy choreographed the OT fights.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Otisburg posted:

And yeah, the fact that JJ is gonna feel compelled to shoehorn in some "mystery" is not encouraging. The last time a Starwar tried to do a mystery the resolution was "an obvious pseudonym for the main bad guy cloned fan-favorite Boba Fett's Father-Uncle-Sibling to make all the proto-stormtroopers, and knowing this the Jedi are just going to gloss over that and command this conveniently prebaked army of slave soldiers without any objections or further investigation."

Keeping on track with the "garbage EU" stuff:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sifo-Dyas

They actually made the pseudonym into a real person and gave him a backstory.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what mystery was jj was trying to shorehorn in? it seems to me like he learned his lesson from star trek 2: the lovely one and i figure there aren't really gonna be any big reveals/shocking twists.

Molothecat posted:

i dunno what it is with every scifi/fantasy/comic book thing nowadays but every fan and writer has autism or something because they don't understand anything from context.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Molothecat posted:

quote:

The spelling "Sifo-Dyas" appears in one draft as a typing error that Lucas preferred to the original name

This doesn't surprise me at loving all.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

what mystery was jj was trying to shorehorn in? it seems to me like he learned his lesson from star trek 2: the lovely one and i figure there aren't really gonna be any big reveals/shocking twists.

It's not an actual mystery, so much as it is making big deals out of questions that aren't super important to the plot. Take the current theory that the woman (whatever her name is, the scavenger one) is Luke's daughter. Let's say we knew that going in to the story. What does it change what we know about the movie?

Should Han Solo die, it could be a big thing that changes what we expect and/or remove some emotional "oomph" from the movie if we went in blind, I get keeping something like that under wraps. Knowing that that woman (Rey, just looked up her name) is Luke's daughter, however, doesn't really change any expectations about the film and, I'd argue, leads to more questions. The only reason the Darth Vader/Luke reveal was so important and needed to be kept under wraps was because there was an emotional attachment to the characters prior to that scene.

JJ does it in everything he makes and it's odd to me because I feel like his stories are strong(-ish) enough to stand on their own.

tl;dr - having big reveals about characters we know nothing about and have no emotional investment in are kind of Abrams' forte

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
I barely even like Star Wars that much but my life was exponentially better before I knew the EU was a thing

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dunno what it is with every scifi/fantasy/comic book thing nowadays but every fan and writer has autism or something because they don't understand anything from context.

I like that Lucas can't go even 4 years without retconning his own fuckin movie

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

the rumor is he was being trained by luke but fell to the dark side and that's why luke is in exile (which wouldn't be a bad premise tbh). the lightsaber design is still insanely stupid i dunno what's wrong with just the normal one.

Maybe it's so when he's locked with another lightsaber, he can suddenly step forward and poke you in the eye with it?

There's a gyroscopic effect or some poo poo that makes that necessary. I don't know why.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Jurgan posted:

benevolent dictator, much like Pinochet

:crossarms:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Otisburg posted:

I mean we've probably all been spoiled by the FYAD forum title and that doesn't really make much of a dent for me. Seems like a sensible story development and I'm more interested in how that plays out in context, the story they tell about it.

Wait, what about the FYAD tit-OHGODDAMMIT!!!

Kidding aside, didn't they do something similar with Snape killing Dumbledore?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Molothecat posted:

Knowing that that woman (Rey, just looked up her name) is Luke's daughter, however, doesn't really change any expectations about the film and, I'd argue, leads to more questions. The only reason the Darth Vader/Luke reveal was so important and needed to be kept under wraps was because there was an emotional attachment to the characters prior to that scene.

tl;dr - having big reveals about characters we know nothing about and have no emotional investment in are kind of Abrams' forte

To be fair, it's possible that over the course of the movie you might know something about or have an investment in the main character of that movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ChogsEnhour posted:

Look at the last fight in Rob Roy but with laser swords instead.

I don't think you could grip a lightsaber's beam though.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

To be fair, it's possible that over the course of the movie you might know something about or have an investment in the main character of that movie.

True, I just want directors/writers to realize that not every needs the big reveal. ANH had zero surprises and is a solid movie. Arguably, ROTJ was the same, instead having characters deal with the fallout of the earlier turn.

ESB's reveal was so powerful because we were descending to the heroes' lowest points and then the main bad guy suddenly drops a familial "we're not so different, you and I."

I'm going to see the movie with zero qualms. I like Abrams and thought the recent star trek movies, while sub-par as far as star trek goes, were good star wars movies. I just don't currently understand the need to have 2-3 big twists/reveals when we're (hopefully)just getting back into the storyline. I'm hoping it's not a case of "more is better" where: ESB had a big reveal, so let's have a bunch in every movie!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

obi becoming one with the force surprised me as a kid.

but i do agree there's really no reason to have a huge reveal/twist in every piece of media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SirPhoebos posted:

Wait, what about the FYAD tit-OHGODDAMMIT!!!

Kidding aside, didn't they do something similar with Snape killing Dumbledore?

If I remember rightly the prevailing gag was around book 5 and was HERMIONE DIES rather than the actual spoiler.

• Locked thread