Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Opps! The left her goofy alien prosthetic teeth in for the premiere....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The only good review would have been "I didn't see JJ taking it there". This movie will be just ok when the dust settles. Lower your expectations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My friend is at the London premiere tonight. He's going to be sick of my text messages by the morning.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

gohmak posted:

This movie will be just ok when the dust settles.

I will take that. Last 3 barely even managed that.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Serotonin posted:

I will take that. Last 3 barely even managed that.

Less than 20 hours till the embargo ends so not long to find out either way.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
24 hours till I see Ep 7. I looked at the session booking page online and there are only about a dozen seats left right down the front to both sides of the screen.

The cinema emailed me this afternoon, they're letting people take their seats at 11pm as 5 screens are doing the midnight showing and 4 more screens have a 12:30am session. Huge crowd turnout leading upto it no doubt.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drunkill posted:

24 hours till I see Ep 7. I looked at the session booking page online and there are only about a dozen seats left right down the front to both sides of the screen.

I'm quite glad that nobody has said "I'm willing to both get out of the cinema at close to 3am AND watch from the worst angle known the man". Cinema chains are massive assholes for having seats that cost the same amount as the rest of the auditorium that have hideous viewing angles.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
^^ Oh I booked tickets a month ago, I got 5 seats middle of the cinema 3 rows from the back, I was just interested to see what seats were left for the two 'Xtremescreen' midnight sessions, almost all midnight screenings are sold out at this particular cinema (large, centre of city cinema)

Yes it sucks those seats are the same price. I remember seeing a harry potter film second row from front, left of screen, had a sore neck and vowed never to sit near the screen again.

Cross-Section posted:

Speak of the devil...

I doubt we'll be getting it alongside TFA; prints are already out in the wild, and if the trailer is just now being shown around Lucasfilm, it's probably not attached to the film proper. Still, 'soon' seems to be the right word here.

I would not be surprised if it was added to TFA in two or three weeks and not put online for a little while, draw fans back to the cinema to see TFA again.

Edit: VVV Imax here was recently upgraded with laser projectors (and a new screen material and new audio system), so only in 3d at imax here, maybe 2d at the two Liemax screens in the suburbs. So I mgiht go and see it a second time there after new years just to check out how laser looks in 3d, hopefully a lot brighter.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 15, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drunkill posted:

^^ Oh I booked tickets a month ago, I got 5 seats middle of the cinema 3 rows from the back, I was just interested to see what seats were left for the two 'Xtremescreen' midnight sessions, almost all midnight screenings are sold out at this particular cinema (large, centre of city cinema)

Yeah I've got a screenshot of my screen from when I booked them, gonna compare to what's available now (guessing full as it's a Gallery showing that only holds about 30 people in that area anyway). I'm still kicking myself that 'the day of many 500 errors' on Odeons site caused me to muck up and buy 3D tickets not IMAX tickets. Live and learn I guess.

e: Gallery on 12.30pm 17th is empty as poo poo. Americans - get on planes and come to Cardiff.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 15, 2015

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Bleeding Cool posted:

The Alliance to Preserve the Expanded Universe is a Star Wars private Facebook group that organises petitions against Disney and Lucasfilm asking them to continue creating stories based in Star Wars Legends, the brand formerly known as the Expanded Universe.

The group’s goals are to convince Disney and Lucasfilm to continue the stories of Star Wars Legends with new Legends books, comics, and games, even if those stories are an alternate universe and to raise awareness of the line.

And in order to do that, it is encouraging its 3,694 members to spoil Star Wars: The Force Awakens in as many forms of social media as they can, unless Disney and Lucasfilm give into their demands.

Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/15/threats-made-to-spoil-star-wars-the-force-awakens-unless-demands-are-met/

Are these people serious? Why would they want to spoil the movie for everyone just because their precious EU is no longer relevant. I guess this means I'll be staying away from anything Star Wars related on Facebook, etc..

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/15/threats-made-to-spoil-star-wars-the-force-awakens-unless-demands-are-met/

Are these people serious? Why would they want to spoil the movie for everyone just because their precious EU is no longer relevant. I guess this means I'll be staying away from anything Star Wars related on Facebook, etc..

Better not go to GBS right now either.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

computer parts posted:

Hahaha, I made sure to avoid GBS since last week because of this. I'm sticking to my bookmarks.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

or ever tbh

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Nerds jump from obsessive love to obsessive hate like it's nothing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I can't imagine something happening in the movie that hasn't been speculated on ad nauseum for the past 10 months anyway. I mean if there's a ten minute rape scene a la Irreversible or something like that then color me surprised.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Frackie Robinson posted:

I can't imagine something happening in the movie that hasn't been speculated on ad nauseum for the past 10 months anyway.

Spoiling the spoilers: you are correct, though I won't say which speculated parts exactly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is there even to spoil? John Boyega becomes a Jedi and fights Adam Driver? That's in the trailer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Frackie Robinson posted:

I can't imagine something happening in the movie that hasn't been speculated on ad nauseum for the past 10 months anyway. I mean if there's a ten minute rape scene a la Irreversible or something like that then color me surprised.

Starring R2 D2 as the fire extinguisher.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm also not really seeing what could be spoiled at this point. Any BIG plot twists are going to happen in the second movie...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

William Shatner shows up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I want Zack Snyder to direct a Star Wars movie.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Even if it has been posted before, the weight-loss photos make me very happy for Mark Hamill. Dude is feeling good about life again. Or at least better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Clone Wars, done in the style of 300.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why do you hate Star Wars?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

computer parts posted:

The Clone Wars, done in the style of 300.

Only if 299 die and 1 survives to retell the story.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Patton Oswalt, every huge nerd's cynical spirit animal, was at the premiere last night. He tweeted three words:

"JJ did it"

I'm excited you guys

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jack's Flow posted:

Even if it has been posted before, the weight-loss photos make me very happy for Mark Hamill. Dude is feeling good about life again. Or at least better.

Just because he was overweight for a while doesn't mean he wasn't enjoying life and having a nice career. He just didn't have any reason to look his best because all his work was voice acting. Then all the sudden a compelling reason comes along to drop the weight and what do you know, he looks good again. Its just the way things work in Hollywood, most normal 60 year olds look a lot closer to 2010 Hamill than the current version.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Just because he was overweight for a while doesn't mean he wasn't enjoying life and having a nice career. He just didn't have any reason to look his best because all his work was voice acting. Then all the sudden a compelling reason comes along to drop the weight and what do you know, he looks good again. Its just the way things work in Hollywood, most normal 60 year olds look a lot closer to 2010 Hamill than the current version.

Have you seen Penn Gillette lately?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have you seen Penn Gillette lately?

I meant that most normal 60 years olds that aren't in show business look a lot closer to fat Hamill and fat Penn Gillette. Sorry I realize now that my sentence did not make that clear.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I meant that most normal 60 years olds that aren't in show business look a lot closer to fat Hamill and fat Penn Gillette. Sorry I realize now that my sentence did not make that clear.

I understood what you meant. I was just showing another recent example of an old man actor who lost a ton of weight.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Obviously Star Wars has given him license to live again. And me as well.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Wow, Hamill looks a lot younger thin & trim. I hope it sticks!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k057-AmLL4

My country's head of state reaffirms "Empire was the best one".

If Harper were still head of state you bet the answer would have been Clones.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Let's hope Luke's midi-chlorians don't react with his gastric staples!

:ohdear:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

korusan posted:

If Harper were still head of state you bet the answer would have been Clones.

Clones was the best one! :colbert:

Nah, just kidding, I'm not that far gone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jonny_Rocket posted:

These groups infuriate me. I'm all for continuing Legends. I'd love to wrap up some loose threads there. But they all, without fail, devolve into "hate on the new stuff" and have nothing to do with their professed original mission.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

jivjov posted:

These groups infuriate me. I'm all for continuing Legends. I'd love to wrap up some loose threads there. But they all, without fail, devolve into "hate on the new stuff" and have nothing to do with their professed original mission.

I 100% agree. I don't know what they are trying to accomplish with this, but it sure seems childish at best. It's not like LucasFilm or Disney will be like "Oh noes, we better give in to this small nerdy population's demands" - this movie will make hand over fist regardless.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

There's something I've really really disliked about the advertising for this movie, and maybe it's just me, but...

They're selling these action figures and toys of these characters and we know nothing about them. They haven't revealed anything about their, you know, personalities at all. That to me was why people came to Star Wars; the world and the characters. Right now it's just all imagery. What if the movie comes out and their all unlikable shitheads?

I don't think that will happen, but I mean, these are characters that will become iconic by virtue of just being in the movie. I'd have liked it if they tried to get us excited for the people in the movie.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Calico Heart posted:

There's something I've really really disliked about the advertising for this movie, and maybe it's just me, but...

They're selling these action figures and toys of these characters and we know nothing about them. They haven't revealed anything about their, you know, personalities at all. That to me was why people came to Star Wars; the world and the characters. Right now it's just all imagery. What if the movie comes out and their all unlikable shitheads?

I don't think that will happen, but I mean, these are characters that will become iconic by virtue of just being in the movie. I'd have liked it if they tried to get us excited for the people in the movie.

Disney can't say "let's wait until the week after the movie comes out to put the toys on the shelf." They've gotta make their $4b back, and it's the holiday season.

I haven't bought a single piece of TFA-related anything in the build up to the flick, for exactly this reason, but they know not everyone has that restraint, and that people (young and old) wanna own poo poo from this movie. Say what you want about them capitalizing on people saying "this one could be good!", but it's not exactly unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Calico Heart posted:

If the people who bought the toys were actually the children they are meant for, the personalities of the characters don't matter. The toys are made for children who see the trailer and go "WOW HE HAS A COOL LIGHTSABER" and make up their own story about his origins.

Even the manchildren who buy the toys to collect them don't care about personalities, they just need to add them to their collection.

• Locked thread