Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Well, if he's a stormtrooper he'd maybe trained with that stun baton thingie.

To be fair, the only more useless soldiers in film history are battle droids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

weekly font posted:

Roger roger

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

weekly font posted:

Everyone probably just pretends to shoot at each other because they know it's all going to come down to a duel between space wizards anyhow.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

do you guys know what trailers are gonna show before the movie on thursday?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DJ BK posted:

It can vary from theater to theater and even screen to screen. I would however, bet the Trek and X-Men trailers would show up. ID42 perhaps?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Most likely X-Men, Deadpool, ID4 2 and Star Trek Beyond.

Edit: Yeah, and Civil War, too.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 15, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJ BK posted:

Star Trek and Independence Day are confirmed to be attached. I would fully expect Civil War, since it's another Disney joint. Would not be shocked to see a brief teaser for Ghostbusters since it wrapped ages ago and comes out in July.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

The funny thing is, the badness of the prequels is so evergreen and manifold and loving weird. I almost suspect that after the prequels something that's just safe and generic and forgettable has the potential to let people down to an insane degree in a completely different way.

in TYOOL 2015, as the nerd media singularity expands to consume all aspects of public and private life, people will not have the self-awareness to identify it as bad as they surrender their individual consciousnesses to Disney Corporation

skog
Aug 20, 2009
Does anyone know what the deal with kylos dumb loving light saber is

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

skog posted:

http://imgur.com/vCGEmJ1

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Timby posted:

Ghostbusters since it wrapped ages ago and comes out in July.

Principle photography may have ended but the post production is still underway, I hope theres a trailer soon :)

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 15, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

skog posted:

His character is literally a Sith weaboo.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'm guessing Finn is totally losing an arm/hand ... unless Boyega showing up on the red carpet with one gloved hand was a misdirect.

I guess the star destroyer rumor that Hand Solo was involved with was partially true. they do have a big ship just not an imperal one.... Han and Chewy being space truckers in a huge cargo freighter that's half the size of a star destroyer...wasn't expecting Han to go back to his old livelyhood completely.

anyone got a link to that cutaway scan of Hans ship? Saw it all day today, everywhere on the net, and I get home and reddits down and imgur is useless at search results and no one else is posting it... :v:

Found it

http://imgur.com/a/Ts0sp

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 15, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Scourge of malachor? That's kotor2 wtf.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

His character is literally a Sith weaboo.

all star wars fans are weeaboos, because star wars is an orientalist pastiche of what george lucas learned about eastern cultures from 1940s-era popular media

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 15, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

in TYOOL 2015, as the nerd media singularity expands to consume all aspects of public and private life, people will not have the self-awareness to identify it as bad as they surrender their individual consciousnesses to Disney Corporation

Disney is just Batman and Nintendo away from Winning it All.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big K of Justice posted:

I guess the star destroyer rumor that Hand Solo was involved with was partially true. they do have a big ship just not an imperal one.... Han and Chewy being space truckers in a huge cargo freighter that's half the size of a star destroyer...wasn't expecting Han to go back to his old livelyhood completely.

anyone got a link to that cutaway scan of Hans ship? Saw it all day today, everywhere on the net, and I get home and reddits down and imgur is useless at search results and no one else is posting it... :v:

Found it

http://imgur.com/a/Ts0sp
What a piece of junk!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
All leaks so far indicate the spoilers were wrong on only one count - Rey isn't Lukes daughter. The main spoiler PDF thing one site did has been updated with the latest info.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQR6taehVh7MUdKLWdLRUx5eG8/view

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does the film suck yet?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ukle posted:

All leaks so far indicate the spoilers were wrong on only one count - Rey isn't Lukes daughter. The main spoiler PDF thing one site did has been updated with the latest info.

It's kind of a pleasant surprise that our new protagonist isn't a member of The Chosen Bloodline (TM).

...ahh son of bitch they're saving that reveal for the next movie, aren't they?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Grouchio posted:

Does the film suck yet?

The hype I'm seeing is eerily like the early Phantom Menace reactions. Lots of "Oh, it was amazing, it had everything!" but no one going "Wow. Drop everything and see this!"

Which is kinda what I expected. Like JJTrek - Fun, kinetic, more than a little dumb and easy, very forgettable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ashpanash posted:

The hype I'm seeing is eerily like the early Phantom Menace reactions. Lots of "Oh, it was amazing, it had everything!"

this really has no predictive ability as to quality since you could have a trailer which was the theme on kazoos with someone moving a millennium falcon toy in front of the camera and people would say that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ukle posted:

I don't even really know where the Luke's daughter thing started up. Everyone I know has been assuming she's Han and Leia's daughter.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Apparently it doesn't not say she's Luke's daughter and really just doesn't explain much at all about the interim 30 years beyond rumors characters had heard. A bit more of a negative reaction, or at least 'meh', from non-media folk from what I've been reading.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Grouchio posted:

Does the film suck yet?

It has always sucked and will forever suck. The Force is a flat circle.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

I don't even really know where the Luke's daughter thing started up. Everyone I know has been assuming she's Han and Leia's daughter.

i assumed kylo ren was their son.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

thrawn527 posted:

I know for me it was because I figured pretty early on that Kylo is Han and Leia's kid. In the EU they had twins so I figured Rey was as well. Then the more I saw of Rey, the closer she paralleled Luke's journey in A New Hope. If she turns out not to be a Skywalker at all, that cool. I still think that will be revealed eventually. Kathleen Kennedy stated that the main SW movies will be the story of the Skywalker family, so your main character better be one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: ^^^ Yeah, that. But paralleling Luke's journey doesn't mean she has to be Luke's daughter. She can have his journey, while being Han and Leia's daughter.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i assumed kylo ren was their son.

It'd say it's likely they're twins.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

weekly font posted:

It has always sucked and will forever suck. The Force is a flat circle.

Every Star Wars film will either be too different or not different enough from the viewer's conception of what Star Wars is. It's like how you can never gain ground on light

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
One hopeful thing I've reading in the reactions is that a lot of the negatives are characters don't have "believable" reactions or they don't "buy" certain relationships and the plot/arcs don't make sense; which all sound like pretty familiar reactions to the prequels which were actually good.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
If you have never watched humans interacting in your life I guess?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

ShineDog posted:

If you have never watched humans interacting in your life I guess?
We're talking about Star Wars fans here, pal. Social butterflies.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

edit: ^^^ Yeah, that. But paralleling Luke's journey doesn't mean she has to be Luke's daughter. She can have his journey, while being Han and Leia's daughter.

It'd say it's likely they're twins.

How is FORCE BABBY formed?!?!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

We're talking about Star Wars fans here, pal. Social butterflies.

One guy on reddit was doing a 'I'll answer specific questions" q&a after giving his (generally negative) thoughts on how he liked it and was pretty much being browbeaten and called fake, even after posting his credentials multiple times. So yea, [any franchise ever] fans...

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

MrMojok posted:

How is FORCE BABBY formed?!?!

Plagueis of midichlorians.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Danger posted:

the prequels which were actually good.

lmao cd is a cesspool

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the consensus on Return of the Jedi being good, because I think it's really kind of lovely. The end part with Luke and the Emperor is nice, but that's about it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The only legitimately excellent movie in the franchise is Empire. The original was fun but kind of a mess. The entire franchise really does rest on the shoulders of Empire.

Imagine if Empire sucked - it would be a Matrix situation, and no one would remember Star Wars.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the consensus on Return of the Jedi being good, because I think it's really kind of lovely. The end part with Luke and the Emperor is nice, but that's about it.

Has some solid individual parts, but yeah, it's kind of lame. I rewatched it recently and it's a pretty big mess that wastes a bunch of the characters.

I will say that Mark Hamill basically carries the movie from the moment he steps on-screen. I was really, really impressed with his acting this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

it's considered the weakest of the original by a large margin, all the stuff in the throne room rules though. endor and just doing "death star but bigger" (even though the battle scene is cool) really drags it down.

first one is good dunno what other guy is talking about.

• Locked thread