Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People have already made their Christmas purchases by now so they had to get the stuff on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

There's something I've really really disliked about the advertising for this movie, and maybe it's just me, but...

They're selling these action figures and toys of these characters and we know nothing about them. They haven't revealed anything about their, you know, personalities at all. That to me was why people came to Star Wars; the world and the characters. Right now it's just all imagery. What if the movie comes out and their all unlikable shitheads?

I don't think that will happen, but I mean, these are characters that will become iconic by virtue of just being in the movie. I'd have liked it if they tried to get us excited for the people in the movie.

But everyone in the prequels were unlikeable shitheads and that didn't stop any toy sales.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's bad their selling the toys, but that I think it sucks the advertising hasn't focused on what kind of people these characters are at all.

Mahoning posted:

But everyone in the prequels were unlikeable shitheads and that didn't stop any toy sales.

Come to think of it... Did those trailers make the characters look more fun than they were? If so then loving kudos to whoever managed that feat.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I think we'll start seeing toys with proper bios and the like not long after the movie. I mean they didn't exactly put Queen Amidala's entire story on the Pizza Hut boxes she used to adorn, right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Calico Heart posted:

There's something I've really really disliked about the advertising for this movie, and maybe it's just me, but...

They're selling these action figures and toys of these characters and we know nothing about them. They haven't revealed anything about their, you know, personalities at all. That to me was why people came to Star Wars; the world and the characters. Right now it's just all imagery. What if the movie comes out and their all unlikable shitheads?

I don't think that will happen, but I mean, these are characters that will become iconic by virtue of just being in the movie. I'd have liked it if they tried to get us excited for the people in the movie.

This is the basis of Star Wars merchandising to begin with.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol if you think SW merchandise is anything more than a cash grab. Artistic integrity has no place here.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is the basis of Star Wars merchandising to begin with.

Baby me owned an action figure of the conehead Jedi. I don't remember a loving thing we're told about him in the actual movies.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

weekly font posted:

Baby me owned an action figure of the conehead Jedi. I don't remember a loving thing we're told about him in the actual movies.
That's because you aren't told anything about him

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I remember that Andy Dick dressed up as him one MTV Movie Awards.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cat Machine posted:

That's because you aren't told anything about him

Yeah exactly. Star Wars has always been pretty smart with their marketing of every character ever. A kid who plays with action figures can buy the entire Cantina cast and do whatever their imagination allows because they are blank slates. And hypernerds can get every minute detail of their "canon" backstories from terrible novels.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Like that is the entire concept behind Boba Fett. What does he even "do" other than have a badass toy?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

weekly font posted:

Yeah I totally had that weird curvy-headed brown alien as a toy for no reason other than he was a cool Alien.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Like that is the entire concept behind Boba Fett. What does he even "do" other than have a badass toy?

Have a scene with true badasses Bossk, Dengar and IG88.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah I totally had that weird curvy-headed brown alien as a toy for no reason other than he was a cool Alien.

My favorite was the random dude from empire running around in the background with an ice cream maker.

They gave him a big backstory and made him an unknown hero for escaping with Cloud City's ice cream maker Computer Core before the Imperials could retrieve it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he hangs out at jabbas parties

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

korusan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k057-AmLL4

My country's head of state reaffirms "Empire was the best one".

If Harper were still head of state you bet the answer would have been Clones.

Your country's head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, not Justin Trudeau.

Position-wise, he's be more like Chancellor Valorum.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Everyone wanted to be in the prequels including William Shakespeare.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Big K of Justice posted:

My favorite was the random dude from empire running around in the background with an ice cream maker.

They gave him a big backstory and made him an unknown hero for escaping with Cloud City's ice cream maker Computer Core before the Imperials could retrieve it.

This loving rules.

also: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Elan_Sel%27Sabagno I love that they had to change his Lucas-given name for dumb EU stuff because it was just one step too far.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 15, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

This guy looks like he should be a way cooler character than he is.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

He's at his coolest in the Holiday Special cartoon.

Otherwise he does catch on to what Han is doing to avoid the Empire, that was kinda neat I guess since he outthought one of the heroes. And he flits with women at Jabba's place. A smart guy who is good with the ladies, how could you think he wouldn't be popular with the modal Star Wars fan?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Big K of Justice posted:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
That guys name is never mentioned in the movie, but i knew his name because of toys and the tie-in books. I was watching TPM the other night and was like "oh hey, its Sio Bibble" and then immediately hated myself for remembering that poo poo.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That guys name is never mentioned in the movie, but i knew his name because of toys and the tie-in books. I was watching TPM the other night and was like "oh hey, its Sio Bibble" and then immediately hated myself for remembering that poo poo.

I felt worse because I remembered Daultay Dofine.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I played as Plo Koon and Adi Gallia the most in Jedi Power Battles.

For some reason I can't remember most of the guys from Episode 1 Pod Racer though.

e: Also, Kit Fisto forever and ever. A hundred years Kit Fisto.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My favourite podracer was always Gasgano.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

The only person whose reaction isn't totally glowing so far is Devin Faraci's, who thought the plot was dumb. So don't get ahead of yourselves, y'all, you're not guaranteed to dig it.

I didn't see him say the plot was dumb, he said it was doing the JJ Star Trek thing of referencing the prior movies in every scene instead of adding anything completely unexpected/different, which made it just "ok" for him.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Antifreeze Head posted:

Your country's head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, not Justin Trudeau.

Position-wise, he's be more like Chancellor Valorum.

You are correct. I guess I meant "guy who calls the shots".

If we're using Star Wars analogies though does this make Mulcair Chewbacca?

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Slightly irrelevant now, as our eyes turn to TFA, but I watched the "non-cheesy" cuts of Ep I & II that someone posted.

Clones isn't changed that much but it really helps TPM to be tightened up.

The Neimodians speak in deeper alien voices and are subtitled with much more devious and evil dialogue. Jar Jar is introduced (and subtitled) but never really speaks again (hooray!). The trip to Otoh Gungah is skipped, and half an hour in to the movie we are on Tatooine. The pod race is quite visceral without the stupid commentary, and there's much less terrible Anakin child acting.

The end battle plays out much the same, just without the Keystone Cops stuff with Jar Jar. Ending is great as we end on Qui Gon's funeral and the question of whether Maul was the Sith master or apprentice. No parade or big shiny ball.

The movie is a little dialogue light, and therefore exposition light, but it rattles along at a much more enjoyable pace.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I dabbled down the fan edits rabbit hole and every one of them is universally terrible except one called the Blackened Mantle. It replaces the entire audio track with the Japanese one and uses subtitles to entirely re-write the dialogue. While it is not fantastic by any stretch it gets points for being ambitious and having the tone/pacing/editing of a samurai film and not just because of the language. The editor was clearly inspired by them in a way similar to Lucas with the old serials.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 15, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Guys, I'm seeing the new Star War on Monday so please be kind!!!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Any fan cut that chops up the score is tossed aside out of hand due to not understanding film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Darko posted:

Any fan cut that chops up the score is tossed aside out of hand due to not understanding film.

I don't think it would be possible to work around this? Remember these brave chroniclers of the true Star Wars vision of the fans are working with what they've got, after all.

e: I want someone to re-edit the prequels into making Jar Jar the most important character.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

korusan posted:

You are correct. I guess I meant "guy who calls the shots".

If we're using Star Wars analogies though does this make Mulcair Chewbacca?

Back in May he tweeted out that he fancies himself a Jedi with an orange lightsabre.

Both in look an in function within the current government, he would be closest to Count Dooku.

Elizabeth May is on the fringe of everything and not all that relevant while saying important things, so she's C-3P0.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

weekly font posted:

I don't think it would be possible to work around this? Remember these brave chroniclers of the true Star Wars vision of the fans are working with what they've got, after all.

e: I want someone to re-edit the prequels into making Jar Jar the most important character.

One of the Terminator 3 worked around this, and I have no idea how.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
El-P hated it, so I guess it's bad

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

GonSmithe posted:

I had the same action figure. He was named "Hammerhead" but I've just learned that the name turned out to be a speciest??/racist term for Ithorians.

quote:

Ithorians were a mammalian herbivorous sentient species from the planet Ithor. They were commonly called "Hammerheads" by less sensitive beings because of their long, curving neck and T-shaped head. They found this nickname offensive
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ithorian/Legend

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I had the same action figure. He was named "Hammerhead" but I've just learned that the name turned out to be a speciest??/racist term for Ithorians.

Thank God it was probably a different guy who did the box art for Lando.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

morestuff posted:

El-P hated it, so I guess it's bad
poo poo, did he say that? I thought he just said "I'm not getting into it." or something along those lines last night because of the embargo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

poo poo, did he say that? I thought he just said "I'm not getting into it." or something along those lines last night because of the embargo.

I guess it's up for interpretation.

• Locked thread