Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

For now, I think I'll stay cautiously optimistic because of Patton Oswalt tweeting that "JJ did it." Of course, he didn't say whether that means that JJ pulled off the impossible and made a successful sequel or if JJ screwed up, but I think it's the former.

I mean, this is the nerd comedian with a routine about how he wishes he could go back in time and kill George Lucas because of the prequels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Quick, someone compile Oswalt/El-P's other movie reviews so we can individually calibrate our alarm according to their other tastes

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Electromax posted:

Quick, someone compile Oswalt/El-P's other movie reviews so we can individually calibrate our alarm according to their other tastes

We have a whole thread here for that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Electromax posted:

PANIC

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

korusan posted:

You are correct. I guess I meant "guy who calls the shots".

If we're using Star Wars analogies though does this make Mulcair Chewbacca?

Head of Government my Canadian friend.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Wait, is El-P a Goon, or has "welp" permeated the mass consciousness?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Man, that poo poo predates the internet.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Anyone with a gambling addiction know the over/under for the rotten tomatoes score? Or anyone wanna take a guess? I'm gonna say 93%.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I had the same action figure. He was named "Hammerhead" but I've just learned that the name turned out to be a speciest??/racist term for Ithorians.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ithorian/Legend

So basically this is like someone packaging Finn and naming it "Negro Stormtrooper". Wonderful.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electromax posted:

You're going to be disappointed regardless.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Man, that poo poo predates the internet.

I'm legitimately interested in the etymology of this now.beats talking about loving Star Wars anyway. Star Wars is poo poo

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

For now, I think I'll stay cautiously optimistic because of Patton Oswalt tweeting that "JJ did it." Of course, he didn't say whether that means that JJ pulled off the impossible and made a successful sequel or if JJ screwed up, but I think it's the former.

I mean, this is the nerd comedian with a routine about how he wishes he could go back in time and kill George Lucas because of the prequels:

Well you could read his second tweet about it.

Patton Oswalt posted:

And without spoiling it, I can say that #StarWarsForceAwakens has the BEST final shot of any Star Wars film. Wow.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm legitimately interested in the etymology of this now.beats talking about loving Star Wars anyway. Star Wars is poo poo

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/11/30/_welp_slang_term_has_longer_history_than_you_might_think.html

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fred Breakfast posted:

Anyone with a gambling addiction know the over/under for the rotten tomatoes score? Or anyone wanna take a guess? I'm gonna say 93%.

So basically this is like someone packaging Finn and naming it "Negro Stormtrooper". Wonderful.

Pretty much all the cantina aliens had toy names that were later retconned to be nicknames or whatever. Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, Wolfman...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wasn't Wolfman removed completely? rip wolfman you had nards

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

weekly font posted:

Wasn't Wolfman removed completely? rip wolfman you had nards

Yeah, Lucas was always pissed that they had just slipped some off-the-shelf wolf man masks into that sequence, and they're covered by either cgi or different creatures as of the '97 special edition.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Let's take this moment to remember the best of Cantina times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXKySxPFCI

Also of course Bea Arthur has a ridiculous elaborate EU backstory. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ackmena

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

jivjov posted:

Yeah, Lucas was always pissed that they had just slipped some off-the-shelf wolf man masks into that sequence, and they're covered by either cgi or different creatures as of the '97 special edition.

He was replaced by a practical-costumed alien of all things.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

If the people who bought the toys were actually the children they are meant for, the personalities of the characters don't matter. The toys are made for children who see the trailer and go "WOW HE HAS A COOL LIGHTSABER" and make up their own story about his origins.

Even the manchildren who buy the toys to collect them don't care about personalities, they just need to add them to their collection.

My 10 year old cousin says his favorite Star Wars character is Kylo Ren. He's seen all of the other movies multiple times, his dad's a big Star Wars nerd who even likes the prequels for the most part. I'll have to ask him who Kylo Ren is and see what happens.

Serf
May 5, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

El-P is a rapper/producer

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fascinating, thank you!

Serf posted:

Yeah I'm familiar bro, thanks

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We watched the despecialized New Hope this week for the first time (I had the SE VHS tapes as a kid) and I was cracking up at Wolfman and the Devil just randomly being in the bar. My fairly disinterested parents and sister/bro-in-law remarked on not remembering how slow that movie starts out - you just have robots slowly moving through sand dunes for like 20 minutes before Luke shows up at the Jawa bazaar. Things pick up pretty well once Luke and Ben meet though.

Also, after watching once I decided to go back to the special editions. Han stepping on Jabba's tail was counter-balanced by a rather more dull attack on the Death Star at the end (lots of lone X-wings jerkily swooping across empty space) and it missed the nice little moment with Biggs and Luke beforehand. Didn't notice any huge changes in ESB. We're watching RotJ later this week, I understand I'm in for a "new" Jabba song and some tweaks to the final bonfire bit.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

You're going to be disappointed regardless.

Based on the trailer and the leaked synopses, I think it'll be pretty fun. A visual/audio treat - don't care so much about the plot and possible familial twists. But I'm one of those for whom even 'disappointment' is too strong of a word - more like 'indifference'. I just think it's funny that people on twitter are scrambling for any "reviews" from the premiere, no matter from who - some celeb says "it was good" and people go WHOA. It's like that Dave Chappelle bit where he talks about the news asking Ja Rule's thoughts on 9/11.

SpaceParrot
Jul 18, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Oh, thank god a nerdprecious celebrity likes this one, finally we can breathe easy

Kevin Smith posted:

"Revenge of the Sith" is, quite simply, loving awesome. This is the "Star Wars" prequel the haters have been bitching for since "Menace" came out, and if they don't cop to that when they finally see it, they're lying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He was right.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

SpaceParrot posted:

Oh, thank god a nerdprecious celebrity likes this one, finally we can breathe easy

Kevin Smith still isn't wrong though. It has great moments even though it's weighed down by the faults of the prequel trilogy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It is the best one and a whole trilogy of films of that quality would be remembered much more fondly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Serf posted:

I seriously thought it was El Penis who used to post in the football funhouse. Shows you how hip I am to the rapping children these days.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Heid the Ball posted:

The pod race is quite visceral without the stupid commentary,

Oh my god, I forgot the awful Greg Proops bullshit.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Actually, it's good. Embrace cheese.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

Proops is amazing in that sequence.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

jivjov posted:

Proops is amazing in that sequence.

Proops rules, sleepy Jabba rules, Sebulba rules. Pod race is great except there's very little drama. It's just a fun visual theme park ride.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Contrarianism is not an ethos. I don't know why CD insists that it is.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Anyone saw the cinemasins video on IV? Kevin Smith made a guest-appearance and he totally killed the video. As in "totally demolished the fast pace and the good jokes with long tirades of unfunny sexual innuendos".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

actually it is

But, I think many people would enjoy the prequels better if they dispensed with their incorrect ideas about what Star Wars is.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlternateAccount posted:

From my point of view, the non-CineDers are contrarian!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BigglesSWE posted:

Anyone saw the cinemasins video on IV? Kevin Smith made a guest-appearance and he totally killed the video. As in "totally demolished the fast pace and the good jokes with long tirades of unfunny sexual innuendos".

gently caress CinemaSins, gently caress Kevin Smith. Hth

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
From a GQ interview ith Oscar Isaac:

quote:

So how did Star Wars compare to working on Llweyn Davis and Ex Machina? “I actually felt the most green and insecure than I had in a long time,” says Isaac of his latest role. “I was like, What am I doing here? There was a lot of room to shade in the character. Every time I tried to do that, it would slow things down too much. J.J. would be like, ‘Get on with it, man!’ Just, Louder! Faster! And then I would feel like I was doing that all the time. It felt weird and like I was not being creative. I would get nervous I wasn’t finding enough or I was missing an opportunity.”

Guess this really is trying to be like the OT :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pod Racing is awesome and has some of the best sound design in the entire star wars movie series. :colbert:

You can say the whole race causes the movie to be strung out too long (and you'd be kind of right) but anyone who thinks the concept of Rocket/Turbine-Powered Ben Hur Space Chariot Races is a dumb idea has bad opinions.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

weekly font posted:

gently caress CinemaSins, gently caress Kevin Smith. Hth

Cinemasins are mostly pretty drat funny in my opinion. Kevin Smith? Not so much....

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

No he wasn't. gently caress Kevin Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BigglesSWE posted:

Cinemasins are mostly pretty drat funny in my opinion. Kevin Smith? Not so much....

The problem with cinema sins is they are teaching people that nitpicking is a valid form of criticism.

• Locked thread