Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Plan Z posted:

The weird thing about American Chop Suey is that it's just macaroni with tomato sauce and hamburger, but we had to give it some weird '50s cookbook name.

Johnny Marzetti is pretty much the same thing, and it's the blandest goddamn thing my mom ever made, a travesty (if I recall correctly, her family affectionately called it "slop" when she was growing up). Of course it originated in Ohio :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I moved to Cincinnati 3 years ago, and I still can't bring myself to try Cincinnati Chili.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PCOS Bill posted:

I could walk 20 minutes and get one of these right now, 24 hours a day.

Be jealous.

(I've been to Primanti Brothers once in all the years I've been in Pittsburgh, and it was actually just this summer on a whim.)

You live near The Strip, then :v:?

e - Ugh, Johnny Marzetti. At least T. Marzetti makes good dressing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rollersnake posted:

I think my favorite baffling regional American food is "American chop suey."

I'm sure the origin of the name must be the whitest story ever told.

It's delicious, and so is Cincinnati chili.

Looks like what folks from my neck of the woods call goulash. And it's delicious as well as being cheap as gently caress to make.

The name "American Chop Suey" is hilarious though because the other chop suey was invented in California :laugh:

Iron Crowned posted:

I moved to Cincinnati 3 years ago, and I still can't bring myself to try Cincinnati Chili.

You should at least once. Cincinnati-style chili is pretty good! Lots of Chili Chiang Kai-sheks itt talkin' smack

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rollersnake posted:

I think my favorite baffling regional American food is "American chop suey."

I'm sure the origin of the name must be the whitest story ever told.

It's delicious, and so is Cincinnati chili.

Forgive my ignorance, but this looks like Hamburger Helper.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

cash crab posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but this looks like Hamburger Helper.

It is.

e; "The Whitest Story Ever Told" is "I added veggies to hamburger helper"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Manuel Calavera posted:

You live near The Strip, then :v:?

e - Ugh, Johnny Marzetti. At least T. Marzetti makes good dressing.

Yeah, I'm on the North Side. And apparently can't judge distance, it's closer to a 3mi, 45 minute walk than a 20 minute saunter. I've only gone to the strip on two wheels and that, you know, goes quick.

I'm in reasonable walking distance of Stage AE and the rest of the area down that end, too. It's nice, though I don't get out as much as I used to.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MariusLecter posted:

It is.

e; "The Whitest Story Ever Told" is "I added veggies to hamburger helper"

Nah, it's basically a soup with a tomato juice base, with ground beef, elbow macaroni (ANY OTHER PASTA RUINS IT OK), green peppers, petite diced tomatoes, onion, and "seasonings." Whichever way you choose to spice it up is up to you, but it's usually Italian seasoning, garlic powder/salt, bay leaves, and salt & pepper. Put that poo poo in a pot and cook it until the pasta is way overdone, then you scoop it out and eat it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

it's basically a soup with a tomato juice base, with ground beef, elbow macaroni

AKA Hamburger Helper.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

NO

HELPER

RULES

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I, on occasion, have bought and enjoyed Hamburger Helper.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

quote:

this was what my father and I had for dinner 2 nights ago it's pork roast with brown gravy on top and to sides BBQ beans and mac and cheese my father and I both made this it was a team effort what do you guy's think does it look good

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That sauce to solids ratio is excessive.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

looks bad Todd.

Still prolly would

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
One year when I was super poor and had gotten free Hamburger helper but no Hamburger, I made hamburgerless helper and I had a bad time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What is 'hamburger helper' and how does it help?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

packaged pasta and sauce mix that you add to ground beef or chicken or tuna to make a casseroley thing

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Sakurazuka posted:

It helps you make food if you are literally incapable of making food.

Alternative: it helps you exceed your sodium allowances.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
It's also a way to make 1 lb of hamburger a meal for like five people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

VendaGoat posted:

It's also a way to make 1 lb of hamburger a meal for like five people.
5 people or 1 college student who's loan just cleared their checking account.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The sauce is powdered, and when mixed in, is more of a paste, really.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Senior Scarybagels posted:

One year when I was super poor and had gotten free Hamburger helper but no Hamburger, I made hamburgerless helper and I had a bad time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcLTCvQ4ZuE

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Basically all of us live in PA, yeah. PA food can be really good it's just the savory dutch stuff that sucks

In every other culture in the world "pork face meatloaf" would be the most awesome dish, but alas. Shoofly pie almost makes up for it.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkExpbnjsX8

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Nah, it's basically a soup with a tomato juice base, with ground beef, elbow macaroni (ANY OTHER PASTA RUINS IT OK), green peppers, petite diced tomatoes, onion, and "seasonings." Whichever way you choose to spice it up is up to you, but it's usually Italian seasoning, garlic powder/salt, bay leaves, and salt & pepper. Put that poo poo in a pot and cook it until the pasta is way overdone, then you scoop it out and eat it sigh heavily

This is how I've experienced it growing up, with just two variations: made by my mom (soupy and bland) or by the elementary school cafeteria (gummy and bland). I hate Johnny Marzetti and if I could go back in time I would prevent his brother from ever meeting Teresa.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Titus Sardonicus posted:

This is how I've experienced it growing up, with just two variations: made by my mom (soupy and bland) or by the elementary school cafeteria (gummy and bland). I hate Johnny Marzetti and if I could go back in time I would prevent his brother from ever meeting Teresa.

:smith::hf::smith: sup childhood spent in rural poverty buddy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you smallsandwich, a feast of AFP with a side of brain problems.

Gallery. Journal.

Sample:

quote:

cut in two hot dog weeners

so tastie
weeniers
weiners
I get used to Halloween,. weeners
the musard
hot dog
bun
onions
mushroom
tomato
bacon
cheese
perfect

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

That is the single most depressing thing I have ever seen.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

You post this things but to be honest it tasted like abject poverty. The cheese powder had no fats to help thicken it so the slimey noodles would not hold the sauce making the sickening artificial sauce become a puddle under the depressing noodles

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sakurazuka posted:

Hamburger Helper helps your hamburger make a great meal

Either you are a non-statesian or you grew up super wealthy and also never watched TV

We ate a lot of Hamburger Helper as kids because as a new single dad in his 30's it was all my dad could make. These days I actually like it and have it often.

E: tuna and chicken helper are abominations tho

so is shake'n'bake

E2: as bad as the Helper family of dried noodles and powdered sauce may be, the stupidest one we ever had was Chicken Tonight!, which was literally just a jar of sauce to simmer chicken in.

titties has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Dec 15, 2015

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

this was what my father and I had for dinner 2 nights ago it's pork roast with brown gravy on top and to sides BBQ beans and mac and cheese my father and I both made this it was a team effort what do you guy's think does it look good
Less sauce, more punctuation.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

i like the keys right next to the plate. there is nothing really gross about it but most people would move them out of frame before taking a food pic

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'm sure GE is grateful for the product placement.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Those do indeed look helpful

You know, I don't think I've ever had it but next time my boyfriend buys way too much meat I will know how to get rid of it. (Psst: last "meat panic meal" was this)

Pastry of the Year posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you smallsandwich, a feast of AFP with a side of brain problems.

Gallery. Journal.

Sample:

weeners

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

VendaGoat posted:

I'm sure GE is grateful for the product placement.

The front panel of that microwave is filthy as gently caress.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
You can freeze meat very successfully, especially the kind of meats you use for hamburger helper.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

titties posted:

E: tuna and chicken helper are abominations tho

Tuna was the only helper we ever had, never hamburger :smith:

quote:

E2: as bad as the Helper family of dried noodles and powdered sauce may be, the stupidest one we ever had was Chicken Tonight!, which was literally just a jar of sauce to simmer chicken in.

The dumbest goddamn commercials too. Fitting.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Titus Sardonicus posted:

The dumbest goddamn commercials too. Fitting.

Wow, I had forgotten about those... I never knew it was just sauce in a jar, what a joke.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Hamburger Helper is for poors. Upper Lower Middle Class folks, like me, eat Kraft Velveeta Cheesy Skillets.

Observe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsC8JN_WWg

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Crust First posted:

Hamburger Helper is for poors. Upper Lower Middle Class folks, like me, eat Kraft Velveeta Cheesy Skillets.

Observe:

Us filthy poors looked at that as Christmas dinner. That or how my moms boyfriend decided to use his belt to drag a 20lb catfish we found dying in a tiny stream into a cooler in our pinto, where he kept his budweiser, using the belt to slide into the gills from one side to the other. I think he even lifted it like a trophy.

Edit: phone postin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Crust First posted:

Observe:

I look at that and I shamefully admit I would

• Locked thread