Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Gleemax.com I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

fadam posted:

Why did Randy Buehler get fired?

Wizards of the Coast, of all companies, tried to do an online social media thing called Gleemax.com It was supposed to be a social media site for gamers, like myspace/facebook man! It flopped as you can imagine. He and the entire team for it were let go. Keeping in mind this.

quote:

Randy began working in Magic R&D during development for Invasion. He was Lead Developer for the Odyssey block. [7] In July 2002, he was promoted to Director of Magic R&D. At the beginning of 2007, he became Vice President of Digital Gaming.

Randy was one of the early pro players they brought in. They figured out having pro players as developers and letting Maro do whatever dreamy nonsense he wanted for design was the better route to go. You can see he was promoted several times, he had the position that Aaron Forsythe has now, and then took a VP level job for digital gaming. I suspect the true story is WOTC bet big on digital initiatives in the mid 2000's and Randy took that money and his project burnt to the ground and they poo poo canned him. At the VP level his firing probably had Hasbro execs involved. Now they just let him keep wrecking coverage because I don't think anyone with authority can be bothered to do some real work on the whole coverage situation to make it better. It is just money they don't want to spend.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Wizards of the Coast, of all companies, tried to do an online social media thing called Gleemax.com It was supposed to be a social media site for gamers, like myspace/facebook man! It flopped as you can imagine. He and the entire team for it were let go. Keeping in mind this.

I think a lot of the ideas for Gleemax.com got rolled into the Planeswalker Points website. By the way, this is your annual reminder that the Planeswalker Points website exists.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

BJPaskoff posted:

I think a lot of the ideas for Gleemax.com got rolled into the Planeswalker Points website. By the way, this is your annual reminder that the Planeswalker Points website exists.

And speaking of social stuff, this is your reminder that ratings and comments on Gatherer are still broken :doh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

So bizarre that so much goes into this system and yet its used for almost nothing. So much money is left on the table.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

So bizarre that so much goes into this system and yet its used for almost nothing. So much money is left on the table.

Not familiar with how Wizards handles anything Internet-related, huh? :v:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
How in the whole, entire gently caress is Wild Slash a buck fifty. Shock. Shock is a dollar fifty in this format. That has to be about the perfect encapsulation of the current standard.

This has been A Post by Stinkles thank you for reading

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

stinkles1112 posted:

How in the whole, entire gently caress is Wild Slash a buck fifty. Shock. Shock is a dollar fifty in this format. That has to be about the perfect encapsulation of the current standard.

Gotta answer the $60 mythic somehow.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Uncommons that go in a lot of competitive decks are usually 1.00 - 2.50.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

Stoke the Flames actually got up to 5 bucks...

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

It's also from a fairly maligned (for drafting) small set.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

It's kinda weird though since it is normally played as a Shock and the additional text is largely ignored since damage prevention is kind of underused right now. They could have literally printed Shock again and it would have made very little difference.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

It's kinda weird though since it is normally played as a Shock and the additional text is largely ignored since damage prevention is kind of underused right now. They could have literally printed Shock again and it would have made very little difference.

Shock was common and common can't have that kind of power level anymore.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Silkwrap is similarly like $2.25 right now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

Shock was common and common can't have that kind of power level anymore.

This is the worst thing.

If Lightning Bolt ever gets reprinted in a standard set again it's going to be a loving mythic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, his wallet erupted with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Is there anything that replaces Jace in that 4-color CoCo deck? I finally got the manabase together and that motherfucker is the only thing I can't justify putting money behind.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Is there anything that replaces Jace in that 4-color CoCo deck? I finally got the manabase together and that motherfucker is the only thing I can't justify putting money behind.

Do you have a list because I can think of a Knuckleblade or Two that could go in it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

The Shortest Path posted:

This is the worst thing.

If Lightning Bolt ever gets reprinted in a standard set again it's going to be a loving mythic.

Nah, they'll just print a Lightning Bolt with some irrelevant set-specific ability, and call it Bolt Lightning.

Bolt Lightning will proceed to push Modern & Legacy Burn over the top, so in the next B&R announcement, they'll.. Ban Lightning Bolt. I can hear it now.

Wizards' R&D "Testers" posted:

For years now, Lightning Bolt has straddled the line between "format staple" and simply overpowered. We've been hesitant to ban it, because it forms the core of many of the format's best decks, but in recent years, it has crowded out competing options for deck space to an unhealthy degree. We hope with this banning to improve deck and metagame diversity, with players opting to use cards like Yet Another Shock, Shock 8: The Ocho, and Bolt Lightning to replace it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

This is the worst thing.

Lightning bolt is a head scratcher as far as pricing goes. We are talking a common that is no way in short supply. Game stores all over the place have piles of lightning bolts hoarded and yet they are still 2$+.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Do you have a list because I can think of a Knuckleblade or Two that could go in it.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-4c-rally#paper

Here's the list I'm thinking of. It's sort of like standard aristocrats, so Abzan splash blue.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Niton posted:

Nah, they'll just print a Lightning Bolt with some irrelevant set-specific ability, and call it Bolt Lightning.

Bolt Lightning will proceed to push Modern & Legacy Burn over the top, so in the next B&R announcement, they'll.. Ban Lightning Bolt. I can hear it now.

Bolt lightning 1R
~ deals 3 damage to target player or creature
Surge R

Will never happen, but I can hope.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Bolt lightning 1R
Surge R

That would be rad as hell but also lightning bolts #5-8 in modern, which is an immediate no, no matter how much Wizards says it doesn't test for eternal formats. I'd be totally down with it though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

That would be rad as hell but also lightning bolts #5-8 in modern, which is an immediate no, no matter how much Wizards says it doesn't test for eternal formats. I'd be totally down with it though.

Sometimes I really wish they'd can that crap and actually test for Eternal formats so they can, you know, not cause another Treasure Cruise/Dig Through Time fiasco.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

This post really added a ton to the discussion. Thanks for it.

Hi, I work as a commercial producer, actor, and sportscaster. And I went to school for broadcast and media production, I will now quickly weigh in on this.

The casters aren't making a lot of money, they do this job because they love it. If SCG is covering travel costs and accommodations then they're probably making $10-20k a year. In addition they're paying a director/producer (this is the guy running the (incredibly basic at the GP's I've been to) Tri-caster). Then you probably have 1-2 camera people and a gopher (one of the camera people and the gopher are optional)

The director is the guy who switches between cameras, communicates between everybody, and has the VT guy update the graphics (if he's lucky enough to have a VT guy, otherwise they're updating graphics like life totals themselves)

And all of these people are making the same approximate amount of money. My numbers are based off of television though, so they may be slightly off for online streaming.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's unfortunate if they are only making 10-20k a year considering how good they are at it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cactrot posted:

Bolt lightning 1R
Surge R

That is basically what Fiery Impulse is. They're never going to do a one-mana 3 damage instant that has the creature/player option.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

AlternateNu posted:

That is basically what Fiery Impulse is. They're never going to do a one-mana 3 damage instant that has the creature/player option.

I slam my head against the table every time I look at the Fiery Impulse in my digital hand and remember for the 1,000th time that it can't go to my opponent's face.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

3 damage to creature or player for 2 cmc is also too powerful for current standard. Let that sink in.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

3 damage to creature or player for 2 cmc is also too powerful for current standard. Let that sink in.

Yeah I was about to add, Jace recurring Searing Spears would be the new Snapcaster + Bolt and Standard would collapse on itself.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

But Wizards thought 4 mana for a regularly sized Goyf with trample and Lightning Helix To The Dome attached was fine in standard.

That still hasn't sunk in.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Have they actually said it's too powerful, rather than just something they let lapse? I imagine there will be some surge variant in OGW

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think too powerful is kind of an oversimplification. I mean, there was no 1-mana burn spell that hit the dome in standard with Thoughtseize, was there? You can't tell me Shock was too powerful but Thoughtseize was ok. They just emphasize different things at different times.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

I suspect that's a decision that will get reversed pretty shortly. We've had a couple months without a Disintegrate of some kind and it pretty clearly isn't too powerful. I'd expect to see a Lightning Strike reprint within the next set or two. Same with turn one mana dorks, I'd be amazed if there wasn't one back in the format by rotation.

Comedy option, give me back Birds of Paradise!

Edit: yeah calling it power level is an oversimplification, they just like to try different things in Standard at different times. Once upon a time Elfhame Palace and the like were the best duals in the format.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 15, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think too powerful is kind of an oversimplification. I mean, there was no 1-mana burn spell that hit the dome in standard with Thoughtseize, was there? You can't tell me Shock was too powerful but Thoughtseize was ok. They just emphasize different things at different times.

Shock was in standard, you remembered wrong.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Shock was legal until Khans of Tarkir rotated in (and M14 rotated out), at which point there was not. Wild Slash was then printed in FRF.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

How the hell did people get the idea wizards thinks 1R 3 damage is too good? They just like to have formats that leave out a classic option from one or more colors to see how things play out. I guarantee that Lightning Strike or whatever will be back and it won't be because Wizards realized they made a mistake; they never intended for it to be gone forever in the first place.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

Lightning bolt is a head scratcher as far as pricing goes. We are talking a common that is no way in short supply. Game stores all over the place have piles of lightning bolts hoarded and yet they are still 2$+.

Everyone has like a million of them though. More than competitive players, there are a million casuals out there who have 4 lightning bolts in every deck because it's a good and cheap card.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

no not really but i guess Elvish Visionary is a body and a card at the same mana cost

Mince Pieface posted:

How the hell did people get the idea wizards thinks 1R 3 damage is too good? They just like to have formats that leave out a classic option from one or more colors to see how things play out. I guarantee that Lightning Strike or whatever will be back and it won't be because Wizards realized they made a mistake; they never intended for it to be gone forever in the first place.

i don't think they think it's too good i think they just decided to see what would happen if it didn't exist as an option for a while, which is fine i guess

what i don't like is that they also decided to experiment with not having a one mana elf, which is just dumb but then i think oh turn 3 rhino and i guess i see why they didn't do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

Shock was in standard, you remembered wrong.

Misremembered, I thought it was in M13 not M14. My bad!

• Locked thread