Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

KakerMix posted:

Don't vape angry :ohdear:

If you do it may lead to embarrassment online and potential erectile distinction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

What happens to those who don't upgrade to Horizon? I assume nothing changes but they won't be able to land on planets obviously but will they be able to interact with those who have Horizon? What about ships that will be added as part of the coming season or anything else like items, ores and whatnot?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

froody guy posted:

What happens to those who don't upgrade to Horizon? I assume nothing changes but they won't be able to land on planets obviously but will they be able to interact with those who have Horizon? What about ships that will be added as part of the coming season or anything else like items, ores and whatnot?

In a brilliant bit of communication, 1.5 and 2.0 are launching simultaneously. So the new stuff coming in for everyone is in 1.5, while 2.0 is Horizons. Everyone has access to every ship (except for the Horizons pre-order Cobra Mk 4), 'synthesis', and the minerals it requires, will also be for everyone, as will be multirole stuff, fighters, etc.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Zaardvark posted:

Everyone has access to every ship (except for the Horizons pre-order Cobra Mk 4), 'synthesis', and the minerals it requires, will also be for everyone, as will be multirole stuff, fighters, etc.
I don't think there's anyway to collect the materials for synthesis other than by tooling around on surfaces in a SRV, though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not at the moment no, so it is kinda moot.

Non Horizons players do have access to the system though, technically!

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008

TorakFade posted:

So, all nice and cool, but where are them Thargoids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWIJ-H-WxI&t=0m58s

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

I aim to please and entertain!

Also, if you're mainly interested in the mercenary life, I'd consider switching from the Cobra to a Diamondback Scout. The Cobra's a perfectly functional fighter ship, but it's really more of a multipurpose ship - the secondary weapons are positioned kind of awkwardly for a fighter and the wide flat pancake silhouette makes you an easy target from above/below.

Meanwhile, the DB-S has a neat tight convergence on its weapons (making it more flexible on the weapon loadouts you can handle) and turns a lot better than the Cobra while retaining most of the extensive frameshift range, and it has two more utility mounts to boot. The only thing the Cobra is superior on, really, is straightline-speed with the huge-rear end afterburner and cargo capacity. (The DB-S is also slightly cheaper to outfit in the long run, with a smaller set of life support and sensor modules).

Edit: actually looking at the stats, the DB-S has an identical fuel tank and frameshift drive to the Cobra while being a little bit lighter, with lower-class (And thus smaller, lighter) modules. It's not much of a difference but a combat-fit DBS can have a pretty impressive frameshift jump range for a fighter.

I was doing bounty hunting for now because it seems like the highest source of income available to me for the time investment, but at any concievable moment for no reason I might want to suddenly build a capitalist empire of hauling biowaste or give exploration another shot, so sticking with the Cobra sounds like a good plan for me. So long as I don't just spend the next 10 years playing CQC mode I'll probably end up hopping into a Vulture next.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cowcaster posted:

I was doing bounty hunting for now because it seems like the highest source of income available to me for the time investment, but at any concievable moment for no reason I might want to suddenly build a capitalist empire of hauling biowaste or give exploration another shot, so sticking with the Cobra sounds like a good plan for me. So long as I don't just spend the next 10 years playing CQC mode I'll probably end up hopping into a Vulture next.

This is me. I'm reluctant to commit to a pure combat spec on my ships because it's nice to be able to double up on cargo missions to the same system as my pirate hunting mission or whatever. It's me, the rear end in a top hat that's still gonna have like 80T of cargo capacity in my Imperial Clipper instead of extra armor :v

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Upgrade button is active on the launcher. 15m to go on mine :dance:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Upgrade button is active on the launcher. 15m to go on mine :dance:

Speaking of which: I see elite 32 bit as "upgrade", elite 64 bit as install and Horizons 64bit as install.

Of course I frantically clicked on Horizons, but is there any reason to keep elite 32 bit around, or does it just hog precious ssd space?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Is the only way to buy Horizons on their website? It's basically not working for me.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is the only way to buy Horizons on their website? It's basically not working for me.

Yeah, there's no other way to purchase the game. It's silly. I'm not sure why they couldn't release it on Steam at the same time. :shrug:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Steam's downloading the update, apparently. It might just be 1.5 and not Horizons, but we'll see I guess.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

YellerBill posted:

Steam's downloading the update, apparently. It might just be 1.5 and not Horizons, but we'll see I guess.

It's just 1.5. Also, the season 1 launcher has yellow. The season 2 launcher has blue.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is the consensus of the battle prowess of an Asp with nothing but turrets for weapons? Is it viable? I'm not good at maneuvering in combat but this has thwarted off 2 or 3 failed interdictions now and I like it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

What is the consensus of the battle prowess of an Asp with nothing but turrets for weapons? Is it viable? I'm not good at maneuvering in combat but this has thwarted off 2 or 3 failed interdictions now and I like it.

Uhhhh how did you manage to fit that many turrets? Coriolis link?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I'm in :haw: will try to post some stuff later, packing for a trip right now.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
i keep getting a MSVCR110.dll error when trying to run horizons for the first time :(

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:toot: I'm in.

On the 1.5 32-bit client. The 64-bit doesn't seem to start.

Aaaand hello :eyepop:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

HiroProtagonist posted:

Uhhhh how did you manage to fit that many turrets? Coriolis link?

That many? I only put 2 burst turrets on it as a deterrent, my ASP is primarily for mining at the moment. But them turrets shot down an Eagle that was harassing me, and I could barely get a bead on the little poo poo, so it's gotta be mildly effective, yes?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Mike the TV posted:

i keep getting a MSVCR110.dll error when trying to run horizons for the first time :(

Install the 32 and 64 bit versions of the msvc++ 2012 runtime

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy poo poo you guys all of those smuggling missions are going to one of two destinations in the same system.

Edit and in true Elite fashion when I submitted to a Pirate's interdiction there was also somehow a System Authority guy in the instance, in a totally unpopulated system, who decided to scan me. :argh:

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 15, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Ok steam is downloading an 8gb thing, is this gonna be everything, or will i need to do another DL through their launcher for horizons?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Why the gently caress have they left the original game on their store page and Steam?

That's like standing in front of Mike Tyson and saying "bite me".

Arrath posted:

Holy poo poo you guys all of those smuggling missions are going to one of two destinations in the same system.

Edit and in true Elite fashion when I submitted to a Pirate's interdiction there was also somehow a System Authority guy in the instance, in a totally unpopulated system, who decided to scan me. :argh:
Okay, call me a lunatic if you want... but is it such a crazy immersion breaking idea that he might have, you know, followed you there?

That is what wake scanners are supposed to be for, even if Frontier hosed them up so much no one actually uses them.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Man these additional missions has really hosed with the bulletin board refreshing for pirate bounties. Fuckers never show up now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tooterfish posted:

Why the gently caress have they left the original game on their store page and Steam?

Okay, call me a lunatic if you want... but is it such a crazy immersion breaking idea that he might have, you know, followed you there?

That is what wake scanners are supposed to be for, even if Frontier hosed them up so much no one actually uses them.

It's immersion breaking when a pirate-ran system spawns system authority ships that are just as confused as you are when they interdict you because there shouldn't be authority ships.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
So, back to data link scanners - does anyone know how to work these things? Got it added to a fire group, nothing. Bind the key to mouse2, nothing.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
:siren: PSA: The Steam update DOES NOT work for Horizons, it is 1.5 only. Download the standalone version if you bought Horizons. :siren:

see last line of this post: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211768

Looking into possible workarounds now. Couple starting points for people who want to do their own research:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3wx8vi/psa_using_steam_launcher_to_play_horizons/

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sheep posted:

So, back to data link scanners - does anyone know how to work these things? Got it added to a fire group, nothing. Bind the key to mouse2, nothing.

Did you select the group that the scanner is in before firing? If it's a surface scanner or what have you I think it's automatic, just be close and point your nose at the object. Only discovery scanners need to be honked.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

If you run the launcher in the steam install folder as admin it works fine. For me anyway.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Did you select the group that the scanner is in before firing? If it's a surface scanner or what have you I think it's automatic, just be close and point your nose at the object. Only discovery scanners need to be honked.

Can't change fire groups in the SRV for whatever reason, but yes, it is assigned to fire group 1.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Yeah I can buy it, but I had absolutely no idea I was being followed by the 5-0. If they'd so much as done the typical 'STEP DOWN TO REALSPACE AND SUBMIT TO SCAN CRIMINAL SCUM' message even several jumps back I'd buy it. But I hadn't heard poo poo. The usual gaggle of pirates on most jumps, yes. Not a peep from the authority. So it was surprising and frustrating to have one pooped into the instance unexpectedly. At least I still made half a mil off of the slaves I couldn't deliver :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sheep posted:

Do you have "automatically deploy weapons" turned off in the options? I know it's just for your ship but there is a bug that means the data link scanner never deploys on the srv if you have that option off.
So make it so your weapons do automatically deploy when you pull your weapon trigger and be amazed when your data link scanner starts to work

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Space Skeleton posted:

If you run the launcher in the steam install folder as admin it works fine. For me anyway.

Thanks! :respek:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sheep posted:

Can't change fire groups in the SRV for whatever reason, but yes, it is assigned to fire group 1.

Didn't even realize you meant SRV. I haven't messed with Horizons just yet so I wasn't aware.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, Horizons is on Steam as its own separate SKU. Once I get my Steam Code from Frontier's imploding store, do you suppose it's safe to uninstall the base game? My hard drive is getting pretty cramped these days :ohdear:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Arrath posted:

Yeah I can buy it, but I had absolutely no idea I was being followed by the 5-0. If they'd so much as done the typical 'STEP DOWN TO REALSPACE AND SUBMIT TO SCAN CRIMINAL SCUM' message even several jumps back I'd buy it. But I hadn't heard poo poo. The usual gaggle of pirates on most jumps, yes. Not a peep from the authority. So it was surprising and frustrating to have one pooped into the instance unexpectedly. At least I still made half a mil off of the slaves I couldn't deliver :v:

Oh yeah, FYI-the second you take on those missions, you'll be greeted by a system authority vessel interdicting you every time you jump to a new system. I got interdicted 5 times in the first 5 unpopulated jumps from Robigo, the 5th one put the escape vector into the star, i got e-stopped and immediately scanned while popping heatsinks and hauling rear end at 390m/s away from the SA vessel.

Oh and as of now, don't bother plotting routes in galaxy map because it dumps the guidance any time you use more than 1T of fuel for a jump. Because you need to recalculate, maybe you can jump a bit further! ignore the fact that there's half a dozen pirates/SA in the system trying to interdict you while you fumblefuck trying to plot jump 3 of 15 to get to your destination

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Naturally Selected posted:

Oh and as of now, don't bother plotting routes in galaxy map because it dumps the guidance any time you use more than 1T of fuel for a jump. Because you need to recalculate, maybe you can jump a bit further! ignore the fact that there's half a dozen pirates/SA in the system trying to interdict you while you fumblefuck trying to plot jump 3 of 15 to get to your destination

Weird. I just did a short 5-jump route and didn't notice anything different. Maybe it only happens with longer routes?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

It's always been random as to whether they spawn or not. Sometimes I would get a swarm of NPCs greeting me in a system, sometimes there would be none at all :iiam:

Incidentally, you know how we joke around that Frontier builds stuff from old code that doesn't include recent fixes? They're getting better, 2.0 seems to have been built on 1.3 instead of 1.1, meaning lots of the Powerplay bonuses aren't doing anything just like when 1.3 went live :v:. Hopefully that also means the interdiction mini game is less broken as a result.

As always, it'll take them a few days to get the worst of the bugs sorted out so don't be too upset if things aren't working right immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm assuming I only need to install the Horizons update, and don't have to worry about the 64-bit or 32-bit clients, right? Yes? I hope?

• Locked thread