Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And also Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, and some other people who can write (but not draw).

Superhero comics made by DC (especially) and Marvel and their wholly-owned subsidiaries are and always have been drek as far as writing goes, though, that's true. Although guys like Ellis did stints with one title or another at various times.

My approach to comics is to identify a writer I like, and then seek collections of a title that they wrote that also have good artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Naw, Matt Fraction and Garth Ennis have written some awesome stuff for Marvel. The run of Hawkeye Fraction did and Ennis' Punisher and Nick Fury comics rule.

Frank Miller wrote some good Batman stuff before he was a shitcrazy neocon?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Usually, it's the limited runs like Transmetropolitan, The Minutemen and such are good. Continuities (Spider-Man, Batman, whatever) are hard to get into and will break your heart.

Just like Hams.

And now we're back on track!

There was a guy on /hwg/ who bought Warlord late war grenadiers and a puma out of boredom (some illness) yet without the tools and skills. Wish I had saved some of his broken neck, heil moldlines troops.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Sounds like the kinda guy who bought the old Tactical Squad kit but didn't cut the handles off the bolters, so there were just guns with full grips glued on top of the Marines' hands.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Dat rear end :goatsecx:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The frequently forgotten eye of a beholder.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Shouldn't it be on a stalk?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Shouldn't it be on a stalk?

The stalk is inside.

don't ask

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
.... do you think Beholders have a fetish for Ropers?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Dat rear end :goatsecx:

brown eye of the beholder

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this thread used to be good

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Be the change you want to see in the world moola.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Moola posted:

this thread used to be good

There's a beholder's rear end in a top hat right there man what more do you want?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everybody's gotta poop. Do you really wanna be the otherworldly creature without a butt hole? There's such a thing as verbal diarrhea but no one wants that hot, rank taste percolating in their gullet.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I think what bothers me is that, if we go by precedent, what we're likely looking at here is another kind of ray attack with a range of 150 feet.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

And also Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, and some other people who can write (but not draw).

Superhero comics made by DC (especially) and Marvel and their wholly-owned subsidiaries are and always have been drek as far as writing goes, though, that's true. Although guys like Ellis did stints with one title or another at various times.

My approach to comics is to identify a writer I like, and then seek collections of a title that they wrote that also have good artwork.

this hasn't been true for years, some of the best work in comics is happening in superhero books right now, primarily because marvel have been making an effort to expand their traditional customer base by mixing things up

it turns out if you offer a book to most celebrated people in the indie scene they will jump at the chance to write/draw the characters they grew up reading for more money

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sure there are diamonds in the rough, but my impression is that superhero comics as a whole remain sub-par. In all fairness, I've not been paying close attention for ten years or more, so I probably should have been more restrained.

Also Phoon you need to scrunt.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
This is the awesome thread, right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestSet/videos/528104260691953/?fref=nf

I love this.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

As a person who cares far too much about Nerf guns, this is by far the best use of the Terrordrone, which is an all together really terrible toy on it's own.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Star Man posted:

This is the awesome thread, right?

Yeah I like that. Execution is a bit off but the concept is solid

Makes me want to try it out on some terrain actually...

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 18, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

awww, even has a lascannon

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So you happen to be a girl or a grog who wants some ladies in his historical/steampunk force. What do you do?

First, you can try Hinterland miniatures.

If you're the kind of person who'd only rub one out to "sexy hussar" if only the epaulettes, pants and the sword are of correct model for the time period, if you get hot and bothered counting rivets, if you'd go limp because Friedrich the Second never issued g-strings as part of standard attire, accept no substitutes.

To a real grog, this is the sickest filth:

Stossfroilen in early war uniform? What kind of plebian filth do you think I am?!

:nws:

Of course, you can argue whether askaris were drawn from tribes that practised free boobie and whether the colonial powers would issue them cover. However, we can enjoy the fact that the breasts here aren't two balloons hell bent on flying away.

Now, what to do if you're a lady who wouldn't give historicals the time of day?

Then you go to the Dice Bag Lady, run by Annie (who started from selling dice bags), who has a large (maybe the largest) collection of Believable Female Miniatures. No g-strings, no DDs (she doesn't sell destroyers, either), no bullshit.

Annie is a big fan of SAGA (you should be too) and even produces some of her own minis under the Bad Squiddo sign.

The Shieldmaiden collection from Bad Squiddo Games will all be made with care and attention to believability as well as coolness. They are female troops who just want to go to battle without falling out of chainmail bikinis or thigh high skirt slits.

Perfect as Hearthguard!

Or you can get Boudicca to lead them.

And just so I'd be less of the liar about the whole promised non-historical angle, female orcs:

You'll also find that she has an excellent selection of third party stuff for both SAGA and Frostgrave, because she apparently likes elegantly designed skirmish level games, which are the best kind of games.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

JcDent posted:

Stossfroilen in early war uniform? What kind of plebian filth do you think I am?!

Was there legit a military unit called "Stoß-Fräulein"? Because google can't find anything, but I don't find it too unlikely (the name, the fact it's women seems suspicious)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

mike12345 posted:

Was there legit a military unit called "Stoß-Fräulein"? Because google can't find anything, but I don't find it too unlikely (the name, the fact it's women seems suspicious)

Oh no, I was just cheeky with Stoßtruppen (I don't speak German) and froilen. No, there weren't any female formation as far as I'm aware. But there was at least one grog on /hwg/ who didn't like stosstruppen in early uniforms not one bit!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Man, some of those Annie models would work great for games set in Glorantha.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Graboid :allears:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kibner posted:

Man, some of those Annie models would work great for games set in Glorantha.

She is good people and posts in the SA Frostgrave thread from time to time.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I never got the obsession with Boudica. She's like the go-to warrior queen even though she was really really bad at that stuff and got her rear end handed to her during the one real battle she fought against the Romans. I guess it's probably because there isn't a large amount of stuff written about her so unlike a lot of other strong historical women leaders (ex: Ching Shih) we don't have the context that points to, like most strong leaders in history, them also being ruthless and generally not very nice (ex: Olga of Kiev).

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

the hell's this supposed to be? looks like a mix of the sunshark and a devilfish

JcDent
May 13, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I never got the obsession with Boudica. She's like the go-to warrior queen even though she was really really bad at that stuff and got her rear end handed to her during the one real battle she fought against the Romans. I guess it's probably because there isn't a large amount of stuff written about her so unlike a lot of other strong historical women leaders (ex: Ching Shih) we don't have the context that points to, like most strong leaders in history, them also being ruthless and generally not very nice (ex: Olga of Kiev).

She fulfills W and for laymen AS part of WASP, unlike the Russian and the Chinese. Here's yer explanation right here.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Just like how the slave-owning spartans represent america and freedom when they're fighting the persians in 300.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Pedobear space marine shoulder pads! Order now for a GREAT CHRISTMAS GIFT!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Just like how the slave-owning spartans represent america and freedom when they're fighting the persians in 300.

Basically all revolutionary leaders held slaves so

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JcDent posted:

And you lost me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I mean, at least if you're using them you're advertising how awful you are, so it's actually really considerate to all your would-be opponents.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

Oh it's worse. American chattel slavery was much worse for the slaves than ancient greek slavery. Not that being a slave to a Spartan was a barrel of laughs, I'm just saying, if we want to examine our cultural heroes from the perspective of modern views about human rights, American heroes come off even worse.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SRM posted:

I mean, at least if you're using them you're advertising how awful you are, so it's actually really considerate to all your would-be opponents.

Your would be opponents in memetastic 4chan shoulder pads?

Leperflesh posted:

Oh it's worse. American chattel slavery was much worse for the slaves than ancient greek slavery. Not that being a slave to a Spartan was a barrel of laughs, I'm just saying, if we want to examine our cultural heroes from the perspective of modern views about human rights, American heroes come off even worse.

Well, not like being a helot was fun and games. Didn't young Spartans used them as practice from time to time?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I dunno, that beholder looked like pretty good practice for quite a few Greeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah this was a thing that had to always be pointed out when I was teaching people about the Dark Ages. The Vikings technically owned slaves but due to how poor most people were and how the legal code treated slaves you actually might have it better off as a slave since the law required that your owner feed and clothe you, so often you'd get food when, for instance, your owners kids wouldn't. They also had different levels of slavery, where you had slave slaves and indentured servants. Slaves often had it better off in strange ways because of how Viking society perceived a sense of honor. If you were a slave, especially one from far off lands you were often better regarded than some indentured servants because you weren't forced into servitude by dept or family pressure but instead had to be taken by force. Indentured servants were common as well, often a single household would have several bondsmen bound to it's leader, but there was an intricate web of how honorable of a bondsmen you were based on exactly how you became an indentured servant (pledging your sword to a strong leader = very honorable and noble, your dad owed money to a guy so he gave him his 15 year old son = bad for your parents, not terrible for you since you were now essentially a surrogate son of a more powerful guy, tribe got beaten up by the household owners tribe = a horrible lowlife dirtperson is you).

American slavery was extremely non-complex and exceptionally brutal even by the historical standards of slavery, especially when we look at slavery as practiced by the Vikings, Greeks and golden age Arabs.