Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Shoren posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when did Trump say anything about exiling, what I assume to be, American citizens because of their religion? I can make up with a hundred heartbreaking stories about children misinterpreting the news just to tug on your heartstrings.

Trump did say that any Muslim American citizens outside the country when the order went into effect would be prevented from returning. Though you're right that he's never called for mass deportations of Muslims the way he has for illegal immigrants.

This is great. You can tell that whoever wrote this just copied and pasted names from a list of countries sorted by the Muslim proportion of the population without doing any research at all.

quote:

From 5% on they exercise an inordinate influence in proportion to their percentage of the population. They will push for the introduction of halal (clean by Islamic standards) food, thereby securing food preparation jobs for Muslims. They will increase pressure on supermarket chains to feature it on their shelves -- along with threats for failure to comply.

Run for your lives! They want to be able to buy specially prepared food! Which is pretty much the same as kosher food, which for some reason nobody ever complains about.

quote:

At 40% you will find widespread massacres, chronic terror attacks and ongoing militia warfare:

Bosnia -- Muslim 40%

Um, I'm pretty sure that way more of that stuff happened to Bosnian Muslims than was carried out by Bosnian Muslims.

quote:

From 60% you may expect unfettered persecution of non-believers and other religions, sporadic ethnic cleansing (genocide), use of Sharia Law as a weapon and Jizya, the tax placed on infidels:

Albania -- Muslim 70%

What? Albania is the most secular Muslim-majority country in the world. There was persecution of all religions in the 1960s by the Communist government, but nowadays no one cares enough to even think about persecuting anyone, let alone implementing Sharia Law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

But Saudi Arabia also incubates and exports religious extremism into war-torn countries. It's not a coincidence Saudis make up the largest single group of ISIS suicide bombers.

If the establishment parties in the Western world don't dare mention these facts, you'll get a Donald Trump or Le Pen who will and they'll do it through alarmist messages.

But those are different criticisms. Saudi Arabia supports extremist militants throughout the region, but this is not inextricably tied to their domestic policies any more than our foreign policy is tied to acceptance of homosexuality, abortion and divorce.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

But those are different criticisms. Saudi Arabia supports extremist militants throughout the region, but this is not inextricably tied to their domestic policies any more than our foreign policy is tied to acceptance of homosexuality, abortion and divorce.
But domestic policies and politics do influence foreign policy decisions. That's plainly obvious in every country.

Let me quote from a recent Brookings report:

quote:

The sectarianism that Saudi Arabia uses to contain its own as well as Bahrain's Shiite populations, and rally support for its geopolitical ambitions, especially its rivalry with Iran, has fuelled the problem [referring to I.S. attacks inside Saudi Arabia]. Saudi recruits for al-Qaida and the Islamic State are often motivated by a desire to contain Shiism and stem Iranian influence in the region – strategic objectives that Saudi media perpetuates ad infinitum.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Research/Files/Reports/2015/07/rethinking-political-islam/Saudi-Arabia_Matthiesen-FINALE.pdf?la=en

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

You seem to be missing the point: evolution does not tell anyone to do anything. No theory does. Yes, it's flawed inasmuch as the conclusions some people drew from it were awful. When theories are flawed, we change them and fix them. That flaw does not make evolution bad or wrong, no more than Islam's own flaws make Islam itself bad or wrong.

You still haven't answered: why is it so important to you that Islam be absolutely flawless? That's a standard that literally nothing, ever, can satisfy because everything is flawed in some way. Nothing is perfect. Why should anyone feel bad because any specific thing is not perfect?

Plenty of theories tell people to do things. Just look at all those people who adjust their diets constantly to fit the nutritional fad of the month. No, the giant floating head of science didn't descend from the clouds and proclaim that Thou Must Not Eat Trans Fats or whatever, but if the theory states that acting in a certain way will most likely lead to an outcome the person considers positive (for example, loving longer by not eating a certain thing), then they will act in that way because their understanding of the theory says that they should. It's not much different from fundamentalists who think that God will curse their society and bring all manner of calamities on them if they tolerate homosexuality. They don't do it "because Islam told me to", they do it because they believe that lots of negative things will happen if they don't - just as eugenicists believed that letting poor people and minorities live was destroying society. Fundamentally, the gap between fundamentalists who want to institute sharia law to rejuvenate society and eugenicists who wanted to sterilize people to rejuvenate society where closer than most people realize.

I don't care if Islam is perfect or not, although the very fact that you can call a religion "flawed" because it doesn't match your personal belief set makes me doubt your ability to argue this in good faith. The reason I disagree with you is that you haven't actually proved that the things you are complaining about stem from Islam rather than any of the other groups, belief systems, etc that the people who do those things are involved in! If only the Wahabbist understanding of Islam declares some restriction, then the issue there is with "Wahabbism", not "Islam", and I'm taking issue with you tarring all of Islam for the crimes of the Wahabbists. It's like saying "VW cheated on emissions standards, which is a problem with the entire car industry everywhere".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

It's like saying "VW cheated on emissions standards, which is a problem with the entire car industry everywhere".

That's a bad analogy because it's very probably a problem with the entire car industry.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

That's a bad analogy because it's very probably a problem with the entire car industry.

I have a problem with the entire religious thing.

[size="small"]But I don't hate anyone. [/size]

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 15, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

PT6A posted:

Of course! It should go without saying that I'm only criticizing the flaws if and when they are actually present.

This doesn't make any sense, then, to talk about "Islam" having flaws or not, because Islam doesn't exist like that. That's what people keep telling you. You're never just criticizing 'islam' or pointing out a flaw in "Islam".

quote:

I'm not blaming LGBT-friendly Muslims for being homophobic. I'm not blaming Muslim feminists for being sexist. These things should go without saying. I think it's still fair to say, based on prevailing attitudes in Islamic jurisprudence and in many explicitly Muslim and/or Muslim-majority countries around the world, as well as the Quran and Hadith, Islam has a very nasty history of sexism and homophobia, a trait which it shares with Christianity and Judaism, both of which have been just as bad or worse on those accounts.

So you're saying absolutely nothing about Islam, then, right? It's not just Christianity or Judaism, it's a ton of other cultures too without any religious impetus.

quote:

EDIT: And again, I'm not saying that means that Islam is bad. Just that it has some very flawed elements, born largely of the sociopolitical context of 1500 years ago. I don't know why people are working so diligently to twist this into some kind of Islamophobia on my part.

Because you keep really weirdly admitting Islam isn't a monolithic whole and then saying stuff like "Islam has some very flawed elements". Islam doesn't have flawed elements except to the extent absolutely everything does so it's an absurd observation to make or to think is important. There is no reason or value in criticizing "Islam". You can't do it.

Tei posted:

I have a problem with the entire religious thing.

[size="small"]But I don't hate anyone. [/size]

Plenty of societies are wildly homophobic and misogynistic without a religious impetus for it. It's almost like religion isn't a real supernatural force, but just another part of culture, no different from the rest.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Plenty of societies are wildly homophobic and misogynistic without a religious impetus for it. It's almost like religion isn't a real supernatural force, but just another part of culture, no different from the rest.

I don't like many cultures, either.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I think FGM is a pretty clear indictment of Islam as it is practice today.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Tei posted:

I don't like many cultures, either.

You don't have to say 'either'. Religion isn't different.

shrike82 posted:

It's a pretty clear indictment of your bizarreness, given that there's huge areas of Islam where FGM is not practiced, and areas where Islam isn't where it is. It's not something that stems from Islam, it predates it, demonstrably.

Always one of the more ignorant and odd attacks on Islam to see, though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Seriously, are you defending FGM? It's a pretty disgusting "cultural" practice and always peculiar to see people defend it in an effort to defend fundamentalist islam.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

shrike82 posted:

Seriously, are you defending FGM?

Nope. Nothing i said is in any way a defense of FGM, as is super obvious by me not saying a single thing defending FGM.

I forget, are you a gimmick poster who pretends to be real dumb or something?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

shrike82 posted:

FGM isn't an Islamic thing, though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is it common in non-islamic cultures?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

shrike82 posted:

Is it common in non-islamic cultures?

Yes.

Or, depending on how you define common, it's not common in Islamic cultures.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Jesus, a quick google seems to show that it's most prevalent in muslim MENA. Not exactly a good look for Islam.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/oct/02/reza-aslan/fact-checking-reza-aslans-retort-bill-maher/

shrike82 posted:

Jesus, a quick google seems to show that it's most prevalent in muslim MENA. Not exactly a good look for Islam.

No.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
FGM is incredibly common among Christians in North Africa. In Egypt, Coptic Christians practice it at the same rate as Muslims. In Nigeria, it's actually more common among Christians (31% of Catholics, 27% of Protestants) than it is among Muslims (7%). Meanwhile, it is virtually unknown in Iran, Iraq, and Turkey - with the exception of the Kurds, who are supposedly more secular than anyone else in the region.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

quote:

So the countries in which female genital cutting is a practice are mostly Muslim, but they are not exclusively Muslim.

OK....

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

shrike82 posted:

Yes, it looks very bad for Islam if you selectively fail to take into account the vast Islamic diaspora all over the world that doesn't practice it and views it as abhorrent. Good point.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

shrike82 posted:

A quick check of my knowledge of how to think about poo poo shows that prevalence isn't actually a good measure of much, though.

If Islam is what produces FGM, why are there Muslim societies with almost no or almost no FGM? Why are there Christian areas that perform it? Wow it's almost like it's a cultural practice that existed before Islam and exists outside it too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I wonder if all those countries have anything else in common besides some of them being Muslim (and some of them not being Muslim). Nope, not even going to look at other possible common factors or sources that could be driving the practice! Just going to blame Islam for FGM, in spite of the fact that non-Muslim countries do it too, many Muslim countries don't do it, and there are other fairly obvious common factors for the practice to originate from!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

This is pretty frightening stuff.

https://islamqa.info/en/45528

quote:

Could you explain me what is the medical benefit of girl’s circumcision?.

Praise be to Allaah.
Just as Allaah has created mankind, He has also guided them that which is best suited to their interests in this world and in the Hereafter, so He sent them Messengers and revealed Books to guide mankind to what is good and urge them to follow it, and to teach them what is evil and warn them against it.

Islam may enjoin or forbid something and the people – or most of them – may not be able to see the wisdom behind this command or prohibition. In that case we are obliged to obey the command or heed the prohibition and to have certain faith that the laws of Allaah are all good, even if we cannot see the wisdom behind them.

Circumcision is one of the Sunnahs of the fitrah, as is indicated by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): "The fitrah is five things – or five things are part of the fitrah – circumcision, shaving the pubes, plucking the armpit hairs, cutting the nails, and trimming the moustache." narrated by al-Bukhaari (5889) and Muslim (257).

Undoubtedly with regard to the Sunnahs of the fitrah, some of the wisdom behind them is obvious, and that includes circumcision. There are clear benefits to it which we should pay attention to and understand the wisdom behind it.

In the answer to question no. 9412 we have discussed circumcision, how it is to be done and the ruling on it. In the answer to question no. 7073 we have explained the health and shar’i benefits of circumcision for males.

Circumcision is prescribed for both males and females. The correct view is that circumcision is obligatory for males and that it is one of the symbols of Islam, and that circumcision of women is mustahabb but not obligatory.

There are reports in the Sunnah which indicate that circumcision for women is prescribed in Islam. In Madeenah there was a woman who circumcised women and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to her: “Do not go to the extreme in cutting; that is better for the woman and more liked by the husband.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (5271), classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Female circumcision has not been prescribed for no reason, rather there is wisdom behind it and it brings many benefits.

Mentioning some of these benefits, Dr. Haamid al-Ghawaabi says:

The secretions of the labia minora accumulate in uncircumcised women and turn rancid, so they develop an unpleasant odour which may lead to infections of the vagina or urethra. I have seen many cases of sickness caused by the lack of circumcision.

Circumcision reduces excessive sensitivity of the clitoris which may cause it to increase in size to 3 centimeters when aroused, which is very annoying to the husband, especially at the time of intercourse.

Another benefit of circumcision is that it prevents stimulation of the clitoris which makes it grow large in such a manner that it causes pain.

Circumcision prevents spasms of the clitoris which are a kind of inflammation.

Circumcision reduces excessive sexual desire.

Then Dr al-Ghawaabi refutes those who claim that female circumcision leads to frigidity by noting:

Frigidity has many causes, and this claim is not based on any sound statistics comparing circumcised women with uncircumcised women, except in the case of Pharaonic circumcision which is where the clitoris is excised completely. This does in fact lead to frigidity but it is contrary to the kind of circumcision enjoined by the Prophet of mercy (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he said: “Do not destroy” i.e., do not uproot or excise. This alone is evidence that speaks for itself, because medicine at that time knew very little about this sensitive organ (the clitoris) and its nerves.

From Liwa’ al-Islam magazine, issue 8 and 10; article entitled Khitaan al-Banaat (circumcision of girls).

The female gynaecologist Sitt al-Banaat Khaalid says in an article entitled Khitaan al-Banaat Ru’yah Sihhiyyah (Female circumcision from a health point of view):

For us in the Muslim world female circumcision is, above all else, obedience to Islam, which means acting in accordance with the fitrah and following the Sunnah which encourages it. We all know the dimensions of Islam, and that everything in it must be good in all aspects, including health aspects. If the benefits are not apparent now, they will become known in the future, as has happened with regard to male circumcision – the world now knows its benefits and it has become widespread among all nations despite the opposition of some groups.

Then she mentioned some of the health benefits of female circumcision and said:

It takes away excessive libido from women

It prevents unpleasant odours which result from foul secretions beneath the prepuce.

It reduces the incidence of urinary tract infections

It reduces the incidence of infections of the reproductive system.

In the book on Traditions that affect the health of women and children, which was published by the World Health Organization in 1979 it says:

With regard to the type of female circumcision which involves removal of the prepuce of the clitoris, which is similar to male circumcision, no harmful health effects have been noted.

And Allaah knows best.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

shrike82 posted:

Yeah, those Egyptian Coptic Christians sure are bad for doing FGM, aren't they? I'm glad the overwhelmingly Muslim country of Niger barely has any incidences of it, though, that's cool. Maybe the Christians in Egypt can follow those Muslims' example.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Fun fact: when Daesh of all people were accused of practicing FGM, their response boiled down to a slightly fancier "no, go gently caress yourself" - which given the other poo poo they brag about and justify in their stupid monthly magazine and videos, I am inclined to believe is an honest response.

It's also a thing their mouthpieces have bitched about in Egypt.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wait, we're taking Daesh as a spokesperson for what islam constitutes? I think some people would take issue with that.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

shrike82 posted:

https://islamqa.info/en/45528

Youre a goddamn retard

"The African Journal of Urology posted:

Given the fact that some Sunni Muslims legitimate FGM by quoting a controversial hadith (a saying attributed to the Prophet Mohammed) in which the Prophet allegedly did not object to FGM provided cutting was not too severe 5 and 6 and that the least invasive type of FGM (partial or total removal of the clitoris and/or the prepuce) is also called “Sunna Circumcision” [7], FGM is widely considered to be associated with Islam. However, during a conference held in Cairo/Egypt in 2006, Muslim scholars from various nations declared FGM to be un-islamic 8 and 9 and, in fact, the traditional cultural practice of FGM predates both Islam and Christianity. Herodotus wrote about FGM being practiced in Egypt as early as 500 BC [3], while the Greek geographer Strabo who visited Egypt in about 25 BC reported that one of the Egyptian customs was “to circumcise the males and excise the females” [10]. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, FGM is actually practiced by Muslim, Christian and Jewish groups. There are countries, such as Nigeria, Tanzania and Niger, where the prevalence of FGM is even greater among Christian groups [11]. In Egypt, FGM is also practiced on Coptic girls [12], while in Ethiopia, the Beta Israel or Falashas, a Jewish minority, subject their girls to genital mutilation [5].

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

We've seen a handful of moderate clerics issue fatwas against stuff like FGM and terrorism but it's pretty clear that the wider religious body isn't listening considering how both is so prevalent in the Middle East.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

shrike82 posted:

Wait, we're taking Daesh as a spokesperson for what islam constitutes? I think some people would take issue with that.

I am saying that even on the crazy fringe there are people who despise fgm. It goes well with the part where a pretty substantial majority of Muslims - you might even say the mainstream - also condemn fgm, which would suggest that it is a localized (if in a wide locale) cultural thing that people just try to justify.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I'm inclined to believe shrike82 is not posting in good faith!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That doesn't make any sense. Daesh practices sexual slavery which is endemic in many parts of the muslim world.
By your reasoning, this means that it's a "mainstream" islamic view?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

shrike82 posted:

We've seen a handful of moderate clerics issue fatwas against stuff like FGM and terrorism but it's pretty clear that the wider religious body isn't listening considering how both is so prevalent in the Middle East.

If you want someone to denounce terrorism and have terrorists listen it will have to be a Wahhabist that does so.

Asking anyone else to do it would be like asking a Quaker to take the canonical pronouncements of the Pope as gospel.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

Is it prevalent in the Middle East? I thought it was a largely African phenomenon.

Ethiopians are also into some serious bride-napping.

This conversation about FGM is stupid.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 15, 2015

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Krowley posted:

I'm inclined to believe shrike82 is not posting in good faith!

He's a horrifying racist.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

He's a horrifying racist.

Unless you equate Islam with Arabs, that's a pretty peculiar statement to be making.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is dumb instead read Shadi Hamid who is one of the smartest American experts on Islamism:

quote:

ISIS draws on, and draws strength from, ideas that have broad resonance among Muslim-majority populations. They may not agree with ISIS’s interpretation of the caliphate, but the notion of a caliphate—the historical political entity governed by Islamic law and tradition—is a powerful one, even among more secular-minded Muslims. The caliphate, something that hasn’t existed since 1924, is a reminder of how one of the world’s great civilizations endured one of the more precipitous declines in human history. The gap between what Muslims once were and where they now find themselves is at the center of the anger and humiliation that drive political violence in the Middle East. But there is also a sense of loss and longing for an organic legal and political order that succeeded for centuries before its slow but decisive dismantling. Ever since, Muslims, and particularly Arab Muslims, have been struggling to define the contours of an appropriate post-caliphate political model.

[...]

In contrast, the early Christian community, as Princeton historian Michael Cook notes, “lacked a conception of an intrinsically Christian state” and was willing to coexist with and even recognize Roman law. For this reason, among others, the equivalent of ISIS simply couldn’t exist in Christian-majority societies. Neither would the pragmatic, mainstream Islamist movements that oppose ISIS and its idiosyncratic, totalitarian take on the Islamic polity. While they have little in common with Islamist extremists, in both means and ends, the Muslim Brotherhood and its many descendants and affiliates do have a particular vision for society that puts Islam and Islamic law at the center of public life. The vast majority of Western Christians—including committed conservatives—cannot conceive of a comprehensive legal-social order anchored by religion. However, the vast majority of, say, Egyptians and Jordanians can and do.

[...]

Islam is distinctive in how it relates to politics. This isn’t necessarily bad or good. It just is. Comparing it with other religions helps illuminate what makes it so. For example, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his ruling BJP may be Hindu nationalists, but the ideological distance between them and the secular Congress Party isn’t as great as it may seem. In part, this is because traditional Hindu kingship—with its fiercely inegalitarian vision of a caste-based social order—is simply less relevant to modern, mass politics and largely incompatible with democratic decision-making. As Cook writes in his new book Ancient Religions, Modern Politics, “Christians have no law to restore while Hindus do have one but show little interest in restoring it.” Muslims, on the other hand, not only have a law but also one that is taken seriously by large majorities throughout the Middle East.
But there's a catch:

quote:

If ISIS and what will surely be a growing number of imitators are to be defeated, then statehood—and, more importantly, states that are inclusive and accountable to their own people—are essential. The state-centric order in the Arab world, for all its artificiality and arbitrariness, is preferable to ungoverned chaos and permanently contested borders. But for the Westphalian system to survive in the region, Islam, or even Islamism, may be needed to legitimate it. To drive even the more pragmatic, participatory variants of Islamism out of the state system would be to doom weak, failing states and strong, brittle ones alike to a long, destructive cycle of civil conflict and political violence.
http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2014/10/roots-islamic-states-appeal/97895/?oref=d-river

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

In contrast, the early Christian community, as Princeton historian Michael Cook notes, “lacked a conception of an intrinsically Christian state” and was willing to coexist with and even recognize Roman law. For this reason, among others, the equivalent of ISIS simply couldn’t exist in Christian-majority societies. Neither would the pragmatic, mainstream Islamist movements that oppose ISIS and its idiosyncratic, totalitarian take on the Islamic polity. While they have little in common with Islamist extremists, in both means and ends, the Muslim Brotherhood and its many descendants and affiliates do have a particular vision for society that puts Islam and Islamic law at the center of public life. The vast majority of Western Christians—including committed conservatives—cannot conceive of a comprehensive legal-social order anchored by religion. However, the vast majority of, say, Egyptians and Jordanians can and do.

Apparently this guy never heard of the Puritans (or the Taiping Rebellion for that matter) or the English Civil Wars or the long history of Christian religion being directly integrated into the medieval governing apparatus, or the endless jockeying between Popes and Emperors.

While there are some interesting debates that could be had about the differences between Islamic and Christian attitudes toward government the specific historical claim this guy is making is incredibly spurious, as is often the case when political scientists working in the think tank world try to make sweeping historical assessments.

The rise of political Islam probably has less to do with the ancient doctrines of the religion and more to do with the fact that all the other viable ideologies got destroyed and also a bunch of governments like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan were actively funding radical Islamic schools and organizations.

This guy's analysis -- or at least the parts you've quoted -- is is the equivalent of someone analyzing the rise of the Nazis by talking exclusively about Friedrich the Great and the history of German antisemitism, while never mentioning the World War I, the Great Depression or the rise of the Communists.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

That doesn't make any sense. Daesh practices sexual slavery which is endemic in many parts of the muslim world.

By your reasoning, sex slavery is particularly Islamic, and by correct reasoning it is not.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Caliphate is contentious even among Muslims, there's no "majority consensus"

There is an alternate Caliphate that exists in Iran in the Shi'ite tradition, and even the Ottoman Caliphate was considered by some to be illegitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Bzzt no, learn to read. The mainstream condemns it, a large chunk of crazy fundamentalists condemn it, therefore it is neither inherently a product of crazy fundamentalism nor of mainstream Islam, therefore something else is going on, therefore don't tar Islam as a whole. Or even crazy fundamentalist Islam, I guess, there are plenty of other reasons it is poo poo.

I am completely in support of pushing back against it in the cultures and regions where it is endemic and quite like that there are lots of mainstream scholars (and some crazy fundamentalist ones) who can argue against it being a demand inherent to Islam.

• Locked thread