Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gohmak posted:

No he wasn't. gently caress Kevin Smith

He was partially right. gently caress Kevin Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
CinemaSins is all-natural pharmaceutical-grade unalloyed 100% grade AAA pure poo poo for garbage-slurping idiots and if you like it I genuinely unironically think that you should be hell-banned from CD. not really, but still...come on

It's lazy, banal sniping disguised as "comedy" and I object to it in the strongest possible terms.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
For the record, I have never once implied that I find the methods of cinemasins to be a good standard of movie-analysis. I think it's pretty fun to see what they can find to riff on, even if it often is nitpicking-theory, dependent on the movie.

It's also a good platform to get the rundown on the horribleness of certain movies without paying to actually see them. I got the major beats from the Transformers series from CS.

And no I don't pirate movies. Even the bad ones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

weekly font posted:

Proops rules, sleepy Jabba rules, Sebulba rules. Pod race is great except there's very little drama. It's just a fun visual theme park ride.

Yeah; I cannot hate the podrace because it's just too drat cool. It doesn't really serve the plot, it honestly probably goes on a little too long, and ultimately doesn't accomplish a whole lot...but it's just so finely crafted.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Even as someone who likes TPM and the prequels, the podrace nearly puts me to sleep. I dunno why, and I don't hold that against the movie. But rewatching it a week or so ago I barely made it through.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like a lot of things in Star Wars it really really works on the big screen.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I just bought a plastic toy lightsaber. It's modeled after Luke's from ESB. It's not at all ergonomic. It hurt my hands just to hold it lightly; in a fight it would murder them. All those bits jutting out. Did Mark Hamill seriously wield that thing during his fight scenes with Vader?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Star Wars on the big screen, I'm not sure I've told this tale on SA before or not...but the marathon on Thursday will be my first time seeing Attack of the Clones in theaters. My mom passed away a few days before its original theatrical run and, for obvious reason, dad and I never got around to going to that one.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurzon posted:

I just bought a plastic toy lightsaber. It's modeled after Luke's from ESB. It's not at all ergonomic. It hurt my hands just to hold it lightly; in a fight it would murder them. All those bits jutting out. Did Mark Hamill seriously wield that thing during his fight scenes with Vader?
No, his was made out of precision-machined steel and had an ergonomic rubberized grip.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Star Wars on the big screen, I'm not sure I've told this tale on SA before or not...but the marathon on Thursday will be my first time seeing Attack of the Clones in theaters. My mom passed away a few days before its original theatrical run and, for obvious reason, dad and I never got around to going to that one.

Well, it was shot in 2K and the compositing and CGI are really rough by 2015 standards. So, good luck.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jivjov posted:

Sorry for your loss :( Also show up to the marathon late. Attack of the Clones is not worth watching. You haven't missed anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Sorry for your loss :( Also show up to the marathon late. Attack of the Clones is not worth watching. You haven't missed anything.

It's not like I've never seen it before now or anything. No way I'm going late though; I'm not missing the opportunity to see Podrace, Duel of the Fates, and the Battle of Geonosis on the big screen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the only cinema sin, is cinema sins

you can buy this joke from me for a nickle

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

CinemaSins is all-natural pharmaceutical-grade unalloyed 100% grade AAA pure poo poo for garbage-slurping idiots and if you like it I genuinely unironically think that you should be hell-banned from CD. not really, but still...come on

It's lazy, banal sniping disguised as "comedy" and I object to it in the strongest possible terms.
Seriously, CinemaSins is utter garbage and has done a whole lot of damage to how many people view movies and approach movie criticism. Some even defend it by claiming it's 'only comedy', but those same people still use the idiotic nitpicks as arguments for why a movie isn't good.

Attack of the Clones is the second best Star Wars movie, why would anyone miss it? Also, jivjov, why do you like going to marathons so much? Do exhaustion and sensory overload heighten the experience for you?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Opinions.

I enjoyed AOTC. Good political machinations going on, things being set up.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

feedmyleg posted:

From a GQ interview ith Oscar Isaac:

Guess this really is trying to be like the OT :v:

Well, that's disturbing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Deakul posted:

Well, that's disturbing.

He's the Wedge Antilles of this movie. Directors don't like it when background characters start hamming it up and taking focus off the protagonists.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does anyone know if gonk droid is in this?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He's the Wedge Antilles of this movie. Directors don't like it when background characters start hamming it up and taking focus off the protagonists.

It sounds like the opposite actually. Isaac wanted to sit there in between takes and think about his character's motivations and inner thoughts, etc. Abrams just wanted him to say the lines already.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrBigglesworth posted:

Opinions.

I enjoyed AOTC. Good political machinations going on, things being set up.
Because politics were always the most entertaining part of Star Wars!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Busy being a spy in Rebels.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

What's the name of the droid that looks like a trash can from a fast food joint that gets tortured in Jabba's palace? That droid owns.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Because politics were always the most entertaining part of Star Wars!

The prequels inevitably had to be about politics. They do a competent job of it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What's the name of the droid that looks like a trash can from a fast food joint that gets tortured in Jabba's palace? That droid owns.

That's a gonk (GNK) droid!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That same droid was in the sand crawler. Poor dude has led a harsh life.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Zoran posted:

That's a gonk (GNK) droid!

Hell yeah I love that dude

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gonk. Gonk.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
New Battlefront has a gonk mode. GOTY 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

My 10 year old cousin says his favorite Star Wars character is Kylo Ren. He's seen all of the other movies multiple times, his dad's a big Star Wars nerd who even likes the prequels for the most part. I'll have to ask him who Kylo Ren is and see what happens.

The valet from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Duh.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4MemWayPcA

Electromax
May 6, 2007

A version of the end of this with a little picture of the forums superimposed on the TV screen to Lucas going "that's pathetic!" would've gotten a lot of mileage around here the last couple years.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Just got back from the supermarket, and they had what felt like 150 different Lego Star Wars sets out on display. I haven't paid attention to Lego in years, but I'll be damned: where was that poo poo when I was a kid? I would have forced my parents to give you money, Lego!*

*even more money

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

There was a gonk droid sighting in one of the previews, IIRC.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sense and Motion posted:

Attack of the Clones is the second best Star Wars movie, why would anyone miss it? Also, jivjov, why do you like going to marathons so much? Do exhaustion and sensory overload heighten the experience for you?

I like the cultural experience of seeing a bunch of movies surrounded by other fans, plus the "catching up" before the 7th movie has some appeal. And then there's something magic about seeing childhood favorites back in theaters again. Yeah I can pop in the Blu Ray whenever I want...but it's not the same.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Madurai posted:

There was a gonk droid sighting in one of the previews, IIRC.

I think that was actually a MSE-6-series repair droid (mouse droid)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MSE-6-series_repair_droid
:goonsay:

or maybe both of them were in one of the trailers?

edit: yes both of them are in the trailers.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 15, 2015

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

quote:

Reply · 1

BigEvan96 3 hours ago
SJW's, don't you dare touch star wars.
Reply · 9

Hide replies

RanndomUndead 2 hours ago
+BigEvan96 Disney is already trashing it
Reply · 2

BigEvan96 2 hours ago
+RanndomUndead Do you really think they are going to trash it?
Reply · 1

Calvin Smith 1 hour ago
+BigEvan96 Yes, they are that stupid. Billions of dollars means nothing to them in the face of social justice.

Bolded needs to be a thread title somewhere. Probably D&D.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Today over a work lunch (hell yeah free food) people started talking about the new Star Wars. One person was mad that 30 years of canon was purged because it meant his kid wouldn't care and also now Chewbacca isn't dead anymore. Another person laughed at the Sith Lord Jar-Jar Binks thing. Everyone agreed the prequels were bad and hoped the movie was better. I had tomato basil soup and a panini. Well that's my Star Wars story of the day.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Was the soup good? I liked tomato soup as a child but haven't had any in years.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Boycott the premiere with me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raxivace posted:

Was the soup good? I liked tomato soup as a child but haven't had any in years.

It tasted pretty good though I usually prefer smoother, creamier soups like tomato bisque. A good bisque with some crotini is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hulk Krogan posted:

Bolded needs to be a thread title somewhere. Probably D&D.

God, it sounds like a star wars line. Its amazing

• Locked thread