Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Star indentured Servant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
That Fox guy is great.
We need more people like this.
I stop playing EVE because there were not many people like those left to be scammed

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
maybe Red Dwarf dwarf

e: or Constellation Consternation

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

I can't imagine any video game that I'd want to play continuously for 20 years. Does he never want to try something new?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

maybe Red Dwarf dwarf

You're going to have to think of the name for the bad guys.

My vote "Veeluns". Second pick: "Bhadguaies".

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Oh god they bought up the helmet, said they were doing refunds then said everyone won't get a refund. Comments are going to be ballistic :munch:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I have been a backer of Star Citizen since March 2014.

I was brought here, ironically enough, by playing Elite Dangerous and wondering if there was anything else out there that could satiate my spaceman needs. Needless to say, I found Star Citizen. My mind was blown because I had always wondered where the guy that made those great Wing Commander and Strike Commander games went to. Those games left such a mark on me that I still remember them to this day.

Anyway, I bought my ship (325a) package and was content that I was part of this movement. Initially, I didn't do too much following of the development process. I followed some of it, but nowhere near what I do now. I didn't really get involved in the community until about a month ago. Mind blown! Seriously.

I have been gaming for decades and I've never experienced a community of gamers like this. I didn't know it existed. I mean, gamers are self-centered, entitled pricks, right? Apparently, not. For years, that was the view that I had of most people in the gaming community. Don't get me wrong, I have seen a few bad nuggets in this community, but overall 99% of this Star Citizen community are generous, kind-hearted people. I've seen people buy ships for total strangers just so they can experience this great process. I've read posts from people who seem to feel something special inside. It blows me away because I am not an emotional guy. In fact, you could probably say that I lack emotions for the most part (I blame the Army). However, this community has struck a chord with me that has me feeling amazing and, well, emotional! Reading people's post about their first experiences as they loaded up the new 2.0 alpha is breathtaking. The feelings that this "game" (phenomenon is a better word!) has evoked in everyone involved is nothing short of spectacular.

Let me close by providing a quick example of an experience that I had in game with a guy named Seryn (sorry if I spelled your name wrong). I had just logged into the session and Seryn was being pretty active in the chat. Reading through it looked like he was at the Security Post (FPS zone) and was asking for nobody to shoot him while he learned his ropes quickly. Shortly after, he responded about someone having shot him. Anyway, I headed over to Security Post and was getting ready to go into the area and landing my Connie. To my left was a Super Hornet firing its weapons. In a panic, I opened fire and destroyed the SH. It turned out to be Seryn trying to get vengeance for his previous death. I apologized and explained that I didn't really know how to tell players apart yet and he was very cool about it. He even flew over to pick me up after someone stole my ship and flew off with it. He didn't get pissed at me; didn't call me a bunch of profane names; didn't try to get revenge on me; He even gave me his TS information so we could fly together in the future.
So, I said all that to say this short, but extremely heart-felt phrase:

Thank you. I'm 36 and I've never experienced anything quite like this in a "game" community before and it's not even finished yet. Imagine how great the finished product will be--and I'm not just talking about the game.

TL;DR: Best community ever. Seriously. Thank you.

-Blaze Andromeda, 9th Security Industries, "Police Force of Star Citizen"

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
After 6 weeks, CIG denied my request for a refund.

quote:

Hi there,

We have reviewed your account status and regret that we are not able to accommodate your request for a refund since it was received outside of the statutory 14 day period.

Your pledge was made as part of the crowdfunding campaign to raise funds for the development of “Star Citizen.” As such you were aware that the funds would be actively applied after receipt for this purpose, not idly maintained in a bank account, and therefore could not be subject to a refund once used. As you may know from the extensive information on our website Robertsspaceindustries.com, Cloud Imperium Games has been working diligently over the past 3 years on the development of the game, and now employs over 260 staff in four studios. 2,538 reports, updates and web shows have been made available during this time, and first modules with limited gameplay were offered as early as in fall of 2013 – by now hundreds of thousands of gameplay hours have been played on our servers. The development of the game is proceeding steadily, and a substantial part of the promised game offering dozens of gameplay hours has been made available to the backers in early release versions (see further detail below).

Pursuant to the terms of your agreement (see Sec. 4 of the Commercial Terms, and Sec. IV.A of the subsequent Terms of Service, as applicable, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos), your payment was a deposit to be used for the “Game Cost” (as defined therein), and such deposit has since been “earned by CIG and become non-refundable to the extent that it is used for the Game Cost...” You further agreed to “irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any deposit amount that has been used for the Game Cost and Pledge Item Cost in accordance with the above.” The only exception would be a return of unearned funds remaining in case of an abandonment of the project. If you pledged on Kickstarter, you agreed to these terms when you transferred your pledge account to robertsspaceindustries.com.

These terms are consistent with the specific nature of crowdfunding and the foreseeable use of your pledge – we hope you appreciate that we cannot ask our hard working personnel to return some of their salary nor that it would be appropriate to use current backers’ funds provided for game development as a refund for an earlier and committed pledge.

While a substantive part of the promised gameplay is now available, we acknowledge that delivery of some game elements has been delayed due to expansion of Star Citizen’s scope. This expansion is a result of the community’s declared desire to have the initial release version of the game developed to a much greater depth than contemplated originally upon start of the campaign. It is inherent to the nature of crowdfunding that such an adjustment to the project may occur. Ultimately, this will benefit all backers including yourself, since every backer will be receiving a much greater value for his/her pledge, but it may – as in this case – cause an extension of the delivery dates.

We acknowledge that some individual backers may find the additional wait undesirable. However, as per Sec. VII of the ToS, you did “acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a promise by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time.”

We’d like to point you to the significant gameplay which is now available; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list and if you haven't already, we encourage you to download the installer from this url: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download and patch up to play the latest version of the game.

Star Citizen is a project for gamers, by gamers. Delays and changes are always unfortunate, but in our case they are also one of the reasons the project is so special. By financing the project using crowd funding, our team is not beholden to a publisher who would insist we ship a game unfinished or broken to meet a particular date. Thanks to continued backing of our community, we have the needed creative freedom over the project, to create a unique game, and we feel the results, such as unparalleled immersion and fidelity, are already speaking for themselves!

We sincerely hope you enjoy the updates both current and future in the Star Citizen 'Verse.

Thank you.
RSI Customer Service Management

Because I payed with Paypal, i am screwed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
If someone sees BlazeAndromeda out in the 'verse, please blow him to bitses

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Hi there,

We have reviewed your account status and regret that we are not able to accommodate your request for a refund since it was received outside of the statutory 14 day period.

Your pledge was made as part of the crowdfunding campaign to raise funds for the development of “Star Citizen.” As such you were aware that the funds would be actively applied after receipt for this purpose, not idly maintained in a bank account, and therefore could not be subject to a refund once used. As you may know from the extensive information on our website Robertsspaceindustries.com, Cloud Imperium Games has been working diligently over the past 3 years on the development of the game, and now employs over 260 staff in four studios. 2,538 reports, updates and web shows have been made available during this time, and first modules with limited gameplay were offered as early as in fall of 2013 – by now hundreds of thousands of gameplay hours have been played on our servers. The development of the game is proceeding steadily, and a substantial part of the promised game offering dozens of gameplay hours has been made available to the backers in early release versions (see further detail below).

Pursuant to the terms of your agreement (see Sec. 4 of the Commercial Terms, and Sec. IV.A of the subsequent Terms of Service, as applicable, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos), your payment was a deposit to be used for the “Game Cost” (as defined therein), and such deposit has since been “earned by CIG and become non-refundable to the extent that it is used for the Game Cost...” You further agreed to “irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any deposit amount that has been used for the Game Cost and Pledge Item Cost in accordance with the above.” The only exception would be a return of unearned funds remaining in case of an abandonment of the project. If you pledged on Kickstarter, you agreed to these terms when you transferred your pledge account to robertsspaceindustries.com.

These terms are consistent with the specific nature of crowdfunding and the foreseeable use of your pledge – we hope you appreciate that we cannot ask our hard working personnel to return some of their salary nor that it would be appropriate to use current backers’ funds provided for game development as a refund for an earlier and committed pledge.

While a substantive part of the promised gameplay is now available, we acknowledge that delivery of some game elements has been delayed due to expansion of Star Citizen’s scope. This expansion is a result of the community’s declared desire to have the initial release version of the game developed to a much greater depth than contemplated originally upon start of the campaign. It is inherent to the nature of crowdfunding that such an adjustment to the project may occur. Ultimately, this will benefit all backers including yourself, since every backer will be receiving a much greater value for his/her pledge, but it may – as in this case – cause an extension of the delivery dates.

We acknowledge that some individual backers may find the additional wait undesirable. However, as per Sec. VII of the ToS, you did “acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a promise by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time.”

We’d like to point you to the significant gameplay which is now available; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list and if you haven't already, we encourage you to download the installer from this url: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download and patch up to play the latest version of the game.

Star Citizen is a project for gamers, by gamers. Delays and changes are always unfortunate, but in our case they are also one of the reasons the project is so special. By financing the project using crowd funding, our team is not beholden to a publisher who would insist we ship a game unfinished or broken to meet a particular date. Thanks to continued backing of our community, we have the needed creative freedom over the project, to create a unique game, and we feel the results, such as unparalleled immersion and fidelity, are already speaking for themselves!

We sincerely hope you enjoy the updates both current and future in the Star Citizen 'Verse.

Thank you.
RSI Customer Service Management

Well, looks like it's started.

They wouldn't have typed up that screed to respond to people with if they didn't have intentions on denying refunds going forward.

Loioish looks like it's too late buddy, sorry! You were warned.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

1500 posted:

what the literal gently caress

this is like the first straight denial of a refund request i've seen - no "nah but you gifted your ships"

they feelin' lucky now the tech demo is out?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

G0RF posted:

That pic has really gone the distance...

Every time Cherie appears in a Star Citizen video-- she gets a really big fan response. And of course she would- she's adorable, and unlike Sandi, she loves gaming.

This does not please Sandi. No, not one bit... So I'm afraid it's only a matter of time.

edit: Oops forgot there was a JenVar one, too...
Then it'll only be a matter of time before Jessica, the HR girl from their LA office video, is in Sandi's crosshairs.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

-Blaze Andromeda, 9th Security Industries, "Police Force of Star Citizen"

In the sea of grief and tears, one guy was nice to me once. GOTY

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Why is this guy wearing sunglasses on his head?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Star Citizen posted:

Delays and changes are always unfortunate, but in our case they are also one of the reasons the project is so special.

Got that part right at least

lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3wyu2w/what_a_community/

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

1500 posted:

They are 40 million over the highest stretch goal and they can't give you back a few hundred?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

revmoo posted:

They wouldn't have typed up that screed to respond to people with if they didn't have intentions on denying refunds going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Sickening posted:

Why is this guy wearing sunglasses on his head?

the future of SC is so bright you see

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

1500 posted:

Give the grey market a shot before it finally collapses under its own weight. You'll probably at least break even.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
The average Star Citizen spends as much as :lesnick: spends for lunch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ravane posted:

The average Star Citizen spends as much as :lesnick: spends for lunch.

Where do you think all the pledges are going!?!?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Space Pleb

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

1500 posted:

oh poo poo!!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Universal Soldier :colbert:

Star shitizens: "SAY GOODNIGHT, ASSHOLES!" /ban disbelievers from RSI and Reddit
*CIG's finances get so bad that they outright stop refunding*
"Goodnight, assholes."

I suggest goons, who've not yet refunded, take to the grey market to recoup their money, like, immediately. Because if CIG is legit stopping this, then yeah...grey market will dry up very soon too. That or just chargeback first, ofc.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 15, 2015

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Oh Bitcoiners....

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

KillHour posted:

Where do you think all the pledges are going!?!?

That's why the refunds have stopped. Lesnick is eating through the money faster than it can be generated.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

1500 posted:

Contact Paypal support and see what they say. Then speak to your bank and explain you've tried CIG & Paypal but they both said gently caress off. You can chargeback Paypal payments but it's more work

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I can't imagine any video game that I'd want to play continuously for 20 years. Does he never want to try something new?

He's thrown all his hopes and dreams into this game because he literally has nothing else going on.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Nice to see them confirming the 3+ dev years though; that ought to cheer the brownies up.

Substantive. Heh. I guess we're approaching the final chapters now.

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

1500 posted:

gently caress that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Berious posted:

You can chargeback Paypal payments but it's more work

That may be a bridge you don't want to burn.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

revmoo posted:

Get em Derek

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

1500 posted:

Was the cash in your paypal account or did it pull it across from a bank account? Another option is to go the small claims route and they'll back down after you kick the process off with a letter, but it depends how much you'll lose as it's a bit of effort reading and following the process for wherever you are. At the very least you could contact the guy who wrote this.

Maybe it's Karma for you thinking Elite Dangerous people weren't entitled to ask for refunds. :yarg:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

1500 posted:

If you live in the EU all those words amount to so much :gary:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

spacetoaster posted:

That may be a bridge you don't want to burn.

Wow, watching The International now and he was all like "Sometimes the hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn... I'm the one you burn."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Triple 7-slots are closed soon, hence the end of cashing out. Turn in your chips folks, the casino is closing!

Edit: Go yiff yourself, Wesha

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

AP posted:

Was the cash in your paypal account or did it pull it across from a bank account? Another option is to go the small claims route and they'll back down after you kick the process off with a letter, but it depends how much you'll lose as it's a bit of effort reading and following the process for wherever you are. At the very least you could contact the guy who wrote this.

Maybe it's Karma for you thinking Elite Dangerous people weren't entitled to ask for refunds. :yarg:
It was pulled from a CC. Funny enough my brother is a lawyer (sadly a dedicated CIG fan), so might badger him on his real thoughts.

I also live in the US, who really need to update the digital laws.

I didn't think that, but you know facts and all :yarg:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

1500 posted:

Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsx1cvACkY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

AP posted:

Was the cash in your paypal account or did it pull it across from a bank account? Another option is to go the small claims route and they'll back down after you kick the process off with a letter, but it depends how much you'll lose as it's a bit of effort reading and following the process for wherever you are.

You can't sue someone in small claims unless they have a business presence in your state.

• Locked thread