Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Uh oh, no quirks on any of the IIC mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

various cheeses posted:

Uh oh, no quirks on any of the IIC mechs.

rip non jenner IICs.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
How good is this Jenner IIC gonna be? I remember when playing Jenner was the funnest things until ECM came out.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It looks like it's gonna be pretty dope. I'm excited for it and the Hunchie. The Orion and Highlander are going to be pure uncut rear end though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

KyloWinter posted:

How good is this Jenner IIC gonna be? I remember when playing Jenner was the funnest things until ECM came out.

tough to say -- it can boat an awful lot of weapons but might run a bit too hot, and it's still unfortunately-shaped

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

tough to say -- it can boat an awful lot of weapons but might run a bit too hot, and it's still unfortunately-shaped

It boats missiles or it boats lasers. It's as fast as a mech can be in this game. No ecm, but it has JJs. pretty much everything else is irrelevant.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah it's pretty drat fast. 315 engines

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Beet Wagon posted:

It looks like it's gonna be pretty dope. I'm excited for it and the Hunchie. The Orion and Highlander are going to be pure uncut rear end though.
Will they? Guess I've been out of the loop too long. I thought having a sturdier xl engine could make tge orion pretty nice.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something on my mechs, so help out an old man confused by technology, cause this lovely interface is definitely not doing it.

If I understand it correctly, there are 3 different layer of upgrades: Pilot Skills, Mech "Upgrades" and Mech Quirks (for IS). What kind of XP do I need to unlock every different kind? Do I need to purchase them, once they're unlocked?

I'm sure at the time I had unlocked all the basics on 3 different Cents, but that is as far as my memory goes.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 15, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something on my mechs, so help out an old man confused by technology, cause this lovely interface is definitely not doing it.

If I understand it correctly, there are 3 different layer of upgrades: Pilot Skills, Mech "Upgrades" and Mech Quirks (for IS). What kind of XP do I need to unlock every different kind? Do I need to purchase them, once they're unlocked?

I'm sure at the time I had unlocked all the basics on 3 different Cents, but that is as far as my memory goes.

For Pilot Skills, mechs earn 2 types of XP: Mech specific XP, and general XP. Mech specific XP is used to unlock items on the mech skill tree, such as cool run, torso twist range, speed tweak, etc. General XP is used to unlock module skills, which let you purchase the associated module and equip it on a mech (weapon range and cooldown, etc)

Mech upgrades are changes to the loadout of a mech by changing the features of a chassis. Upgrades are Double Heat Sinks, Endo-Steel Structure, Ferro-Fibrous Armour, and Artemis IV Fire Control System. Every mech should be running double heat sinks, and pretty much every mech will also want endo steel. Ferro fibrous is generally only used for light mechs, and only then if endo is already applied and crit space is available. Artemis IV is used for LRM or SRM boating mechs, and is specific to certian builds.

Mech Quirks are modifications to the behavior of a chassis applied to a mech by PGI, in order to try to balance the mech or otherwise make it viable to play.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Mech quirks are assorted bonuses or penalties assigned to each mech. They affect rate of fire, range, heat, and maneuverability. They are specific to each robot. Your skills do not influence them.

Mech efficiencies are bought with basic xp and make your mech faster, cooler, and easier to pilot. They are purchased on a per model basis.

Upgrades skills are bought with general XP only, and only come into play when you have the right module fitted to your robot. If you are new to the game don't worry about these, as they cost as much as a light mech and have only a marginal impact on the game. Focus on getting the basic and elite skills, and spend the dosh on optimizing your robots for now.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Thank about the replies :)

I've already got the basics on all my mechs I think (and masteries on my main Cent).

At the time there were no mech quirks, though, so I'm not really sure how to buy them / how to equip them. Are they always on depending on the mech model? Is there a list to choose from?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mindblast posted:

Will they? Guess I've been out of the loop too long. I thought having a sturdier xl engine could make tge orion pretty nice.

They'll be better than their IS counterparts, for sure. Particularly in the case of the Orion, a Clan XL is a huge step up. The Orion might end up being an awesome little mini-Atlas (although mini might be a strong word, since both Orions are loving giant) but the Highlander is gonna have a hard time filling up its hardpoints. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see why you'd take either the Orion or Highlander over any of the established top-tier Clan mechs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Thank about the replies :)

I've already got the basics on all my mechs I think (and masteries on my main Cent).

At the time there were no mech quirks, though, so I'm not really sure how to buy them / how to equip them. Are they always on depending on the mech model? Is there a list to choose from?

They're always on specific variants. Here's the full list:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#mechs_quirks_light_innersphere

example: any Jenner-F you own will always have these quirks

LASER DURATION: -10.00 %
ACCELERATION RATE: 20.00 %
DECELERATION RATE: 20.00 %
TURN RATE: 15.00 %
TORSO TURN RATE (YAW): 30.00 %
TORSO TURN ANGLE (YAW): 18.00

regardless of what else you have on it

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Oh might mechwarrior thread, reveal onto me an excellent starter light build and in doing so free me from the horrors of independent thought. :worship:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ah so they're "always on" as soon as you get the Mech...Allright, now I get it, thanks!

So this is the reason people were saying that the Atlas is now more durable:
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (CT): 31.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LT): 21.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RT): 21.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LA): 17.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RA): 17.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LL): 21.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RL): 21.00

Guess I'm going to spend this 15m on a D-DC :black101:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah so they're "always on" as soon as you get the Mech...Allright, now I get it, thanks!

So this is the reason people were saying that the Atlas is now more durable:
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (CT): 31.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LT): 21.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RT): 21.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LA): 17.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RA): 17.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LL): 21.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RL): 21.00

Guess I'm going to spend this 15m on a D-DC :black101:

The S is also good. 4 srms and an ac 20 just melts fuckers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

The S is also good. 4 srms and an ac 20 just melts fuckers.

Is 1 extra SRM worth the loss of the ECM? Also, is the command console doing anything right now?

EDIT: mmm moot point, as the S seems to be reward only (and I wasn't a backer)

EDIT2: weird, the wiki lists it as a reward only mech, but it has a C-Bill cost for it (it also costs less than the D-DC and it already comes with double heat sinks, mmm)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 15, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

Oh might mechwarrior thread, reveal onto me an excellent starter light build and in doing so free me from the horrors of independent thought. :worship:

i got u fam

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=0673c22705b1651b68e33300644d53eb895cf864

take out one small pulse and add a heat sink if this is too hot for you. Either way it is a monstrous little knife-fighter that can core out backs posthaste

That Italian Guy posted:

Is 1 extra SRM worth the loss of the ECM? Also, is the command console doing anything right now?

EDIT: mmm moot point, as the S seems to be reward only (and I wasn't a backer)

you can totally buy the -S for C-bills now

Command console does some sensor stuff, but it's not really worth it for the tonnage

-D-DC and -S play roughly the same, but the -D-DC is sneakier. S is better in a straight-up push 'cause that extra SRM is usually the difference between two-shotting something and three-shotting it

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

6 spl's to the back will ruin your day, also I figured out how to make pub teams less retarded take company command and start giving orders sometimes it works and you get semi-competent attacks going.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
can GIRL and WoL rotate through the factions so we can get those free ez mech bays or is that no longer possible?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

teepo posted:

can GIRL and WoL rotate through the factions so we can get those free ez mech bays or is that no longer possible?

We made GIRL perm JF when CW was new and fun and decided that bonus loyalty was great but since we don't really care about that stuff anymore we could probably do that. Probably after the holidays since the holiday event will no doubt include CW.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

teepo posted:

We can but to do this you will want to have at least 10 in your group, preferably 12, to make it not such a slog in the queue, unless you got like netflix or something.

There were 3 companies of davs hitting a liao planet last night so if you have numbers you can get fights, and ISvIS fights too.

There were also some grognard posts on the brown sea by CW players in big units getting pissy because of all the new players dropping for their faction in trial mechs and having no clue what to do so the queue might not be full of min/maxxed dropdecks from the CW tryhard units.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

We made GIRL perm JF when CW was new and fun and decided that bonus loyalty was great but since we don't really care about that stuff anymore we could probably do that. Probably after the holidays since the holiday event will no doubt include CW.

going week-by-week should be good I think. you get mech bays at level 2 and 6, which are both p. easy to gt in a week

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Then put as many C-UAC5s on there as you can and enjoy. Also C-UAC10. I run a Warhawk kitted out with two of those and it makes people rage.
Couldn't decide between cUAC5s and cUAC10s, so I just stuffed my Direwolf full of both.
Something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=171&l=c9da9eaca56b261d236e3d31fc77994514d477ed
Probably far from the most efficient build, but it's indeed hilariously fun. Considering my tactics is to slowly march towards the enemy, blowing my UAC load all over their mechs, I still manage to destroy or cripple several enemies (dealing between 300 and 700 damage) before meeting honorabu death.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Good to know, thanks. Be nice if this were indicated anywhere in game. :v:

It is indicated in game? At least on the Prime variants. I know when I was kitting out my Mad Dog, it specifically has a little entry at the top of the components mentioning integrated CASE.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I just did 1111 damage in the first drop with the 6 SPL Jenner IIC.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

various cheeses posted:

I just did 1111 damage in the first drop with the 6 SPL Jenner IIC.

wubwubwub

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Jack2142 posted:

I figured out how to make pub teams less retarded take company command and start giving orders sometimes it works and you get semi-competent attacks going.

I just give them random warnings like "We're getting too spread out" or tips like "find the biggest, slowest `Mech you can (almost always me) and follow it to steal kills"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CISscum posted:

Couldn't decide between cUAC5s and cUAC10s, so I just stuffed my Direwolf full of both.
Something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=171&l=c9da9eaca56b261d236e3d31fc77994514d477ed
Probably far from the most efficient build, but it's indeed hilariously fun. Considering my tactics is to slowly march towards the enemy, blowing my UAC load all over their mechs, I still manage to destroy or cripple several enemies (dealing between 300 and 700 damage) before meeting honorabu death.

You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect troll. Its structural perfection is matched only by its stupidity. I admire its purity. A salt-engine... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of meta. I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Heard this game might be fun again. Can someone PM me the mumble info?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
as a long time direwolf player.... they aren't as great as the used to be.

too slow and fragile. you want to blow poo poo up get an atlas s. if you want to rock autocanns get a banshee 3E

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 15, 2015

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Bait and Swatch posted:

Heard this game might be fun again. Can someone PM me the mumble info?

i was going to be snarky and pm you a link to the op but the info isnt in there apparently, probably should be.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was asked to take it out of public view.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well poo poo...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I just give them random warnings like "We're getting too spread out" or tips like "find the biggest, slowest `Mech you can (almost always me) and follow it to steal kills"

Are you still running the 10km/h LRM boat?

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

god damnit, might as well buy it

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

That Italian Guy posted:

Are you still running the 10km/h LRM boat?

No, haha. That's a baby Rhino Stalker now (it's basically a worse Laserdrill with a few SRMs tacked on, since I don't own a laserdrill but needed something for CW drops).

For those who aren't in the know, putting the smallest sized engine in a Stalker yields a machine so slow that it can't even reverse. It took 30+ seconds to do a 360 degree turn, and has a torso twist speed that makes PGI's patch schedule look fast.

The only time I played it we dropped on Alpine. Despite my best efforts I didn't even get it out of the base by the time that game ended. :v:

Edit: And I'm pretty sure I got killed by a stock Spider-K.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

teepo posted:

god damnit, might as well buy it

Sadly, that is the early adopter variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Devorum posted:

Sadly, that is the early adopter variant.

mother fuckers

• Locked thread