Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What are some tips for preserving health when rolling a melee character and taking people on face-to-face? Right now I have armor with combined damage/energy resistances in the 70's but I still lose about half my health when I have to rush a guy to get within striking distance. I'm considering going a more melee-oriented build with a second character (my goony-goon CHA/INT main character has 4 in strength, 3-4 in agility :v:) but I just don't know if I'd have fun if the game favors long-distance combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

What are you getting at? From what I understand, emanresu tnuocca was saying that the things you can buy from Tinker Tom aren't even the highest level of ballistic weave. You can buy what he has or you can literally take the same thing to an armor station and make something way better.

Well his point was that Tinker Tom doesn't have anything cool/useful to differentiate the Railroad merchant from anyone else or that will give you anything you can't just craft on your own and I'm saying that you need to learn the ballistic weave from Tinker Tom to begin with.

Yeah, you can craft level 4 ballistic weave and Tom only sells up to level 1, but my point is you need him to be able to craft it in the first place. You can't just make something way better on your own without the merchant there to give you the crafting schematic/perk.

If, for example, level 4 of armorer unlocked some other thing that was basically the equivalent or better then yeah Tinker Tom would be useless but as it is you need to go through him to unlock crafting of ballistic weave at any level.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Karthe posted:

What are some tips for preserving health when rolling a melee character and taking people on face-to-face? Right now I have armor with combined damage/energy resistances in the 70's but I still lose about half my health when I have to rush a guy to get within striking distance. I'm considering going a more melee-oriented build with a second character (my goony-goon CHA/INT main character has 4 in strength, 3-4 in agility :v:) but I just don't know if I'd have fun if the game favors long-distance combat.

Eat everything you kill. Stay on drugs. Aim for Nerd Rage so being at low health doesn't even matter.

edit: you should be cooking the things before you eat them though.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Grinning Goblin posted:

Eat everything you kill. Stay on drugs. Aim for Nerd Rage so being at low health doesn't even matter.

edit: you should be cooking the things before you eat them though.
So I suppose being addicted to drugs isn't necessarily a bad thing with melee? I hardly ever use any of the drugs I've collected, I must be sitting on dozens and dozens of Jet, Buffout, Psycho, etc... Nerd Rage is a good idea, though, so I suppose I should mix in some INT with my STR and AGI.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Karthe posted:

So I suppose being addicted to drugs isn't necessarily a bad thing with melee? I hardly ever use any of the drugs I've collected, I must be sitting on dozens and dozens of Jet, Buffout, Psycho, etc... Nerd Rage is a good idea, though, so I suppose I should mix in some INT with my STR and AGI.

Yeah addictions don't do anything noticeable when you're in power armor, and it's super easy to make potions to remove all addicitons as well. Also there are junkie weapons if you get lucky and find one, for laughs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Between the various addiction removal items, addiction preventing perks, and drug effect-lengthening perks there's no reason not to be on every drug at all times. I want a mod to grow hubflowers though because drat I'm low on Psycho.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
isn't it all of 50 caps to have a doctor remove addictions too? it's more cost effective to just sell the curing drugs

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ Yeah saving a loading screen fast trvael or two is worth way more than selling drugs. I dont' even pick up look anymore, and my character's level 23.

Karthe posted:

This is what my melee character looks like right now (she's also in power armor so her effective str is like 12 most of the time), after beginning with 4 in every stat. I put 1 perk into idiot savant at level 2, and one point into the fusion core extension one, and every other point is in a SPECIAL stat. I'm avoiding stat bobbleheads until I max a stat, just for curiosity's sake of how powerufl the character will be. Idiot Savant was totally unnecessary but it did allow me to skip about 3-4 hours of early game grinding up exp, and when your int is really high it goes off rarely enough that it is still fun and not obnoxious (the female character's idiot savant audio is better too, imho). I dragged around cait for a little bit to pick locks, but honestly with melee I don't need much loot.

I really like this character, she's powerful as poo poo and it's interesting to figure out how to do things without mods or weapon specialities. I'm on V Hard.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 15, 2015

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Karthe posted:

The game undoubtedly favors ranged combat - it has more weapons, more relevant perks, more mods, more variety. Melee has the super sledge, and as far as I know it's the only melee weapon that makes use of Blacksmith rank 3. And you will need Blacksmith. You can't count on scavenging mods off of enemy weapons like you could with guns since barely anyone uses modded melee weapons. You'll need a sidearm, or some ranged combat solution, no matter what you do. You can only deal with high-mounted turrets with a gun, unless you bring a companion.

All that said, my current character is melee focused and I'm having a blast. Sprinting into an enemy's face and caving it in with a hammer is immensely satisfying. You definitely have to rethink certain encounters, especially where turrets and suiciders are concerned, but the right perks can mitigate damage enough to let you live long enough to reach the enemy. Moving Target is designed for melee builds that sprint often.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, since you're the one doing all the actual legwork in The Molecular Level no matter what group you align yourself with, I was pretty happy to buy the idea that maybe there was a way to bypass actually going to them for help.

I should've realized my folly when I was expecting something like that of Fallout 4's main quest. God drat, the main quest is just horribly written and designed. The non-main quests are rarely standouts either (I'd class only one quest thus far as a 'real Fallout quest': the U.S.S. Constitution mission), but the main quest has so many missteps and missed opportunities that it's somehow painful at every turn.

For what it's worth the reason you read that it was possible is that the PrimaGames guide that said you could do this, and the websites which were set up after release pulled a lot of information from there verbatim. It was probably in the game previously and was cut from the final release, hence why the guide was wrong.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I know it's a semantic debate but I always felt like doing it for the Minutemen was basically just taking the schematics to a guy you know - you're not doing it "for" anyone but yourself. The BoS and Railroad have their own agenda in helping you, but Sturges is just helping you because you helped him once.

Curious how it'd play out if you told Preston you wouldn't be the General.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Deified Data posted:

I know it's a semantic debate but I always felt like doing it for the Minutemen was basically just taking the schematics to a guy you know - you're not doing it "for" anyone but yourself. The BoS and Railroad have their own agenda in helping you, but Sturges is just helping you because you helped him once.

Probably the same as any other time you say no. "Well, I'm not taking no for an answer, you're the general now."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Deified Data posted:

The game undoubtedly favors ranged combat - it has more weapons, more relevant perks, more mods, more variety. Melee has the super sledge, and as far as I know it's the only melee weapon that makes use of Blacksmith rank 3. And you will need Blacksmith. You can't count on scavenging mods off of enemy weapons like you could with guns since barely anyone uses modded melee weapons. You'll need a sidearm, or some ranged combat solution, no matter what you do. You can only deal with high-mounted turrets with a gun, unless you bring a companion.

All that said, my current character is melee focused and I'm having a blast. Sprinting into an enemy's face and caving it in with a hammer is immensely satisfying. You definitely have to rethink certain encounters, especially where turrets and suiciders are concerned, but the right perks can mitigate damage enough to let you live long enough to reach the enemy. Moving Target is designed for melee builds that sprint often.
It's not anywhere near as tough as you're making it out to be, also the sledgehammer and super sledge and other "SLOW" weapons are the absolute worst for a melee focused build.

You do need a sidearm, but I mean as far as that goes, I pretty much have been carrying the same 10mm pistol since level 10 and I almost never draw it. You can use molotovs and grenades to deal with most threats, but turrets are obnoxious and it's just easier to peek barely out and pump a few rounds into them before they can line up on you.

Or, you know, just use power armor and loving ignore enemies. But I'd recommend a melee weapon that allows at least 3-6 swings in VATS.

I've never put a point into blacksmith. It's garbage. You can surf weapon shops to get melee weapons with appropriate mods. I'd way rather have 3 extra points in STR or AGI or LCK than 3 points in blacksmith (also you've gotta be like fuckign level 36 to get 3 ranks in it dont you). I'm on V Hard and my primary weapon was a serrated switchblade for a long rear end time, in fact it's still arguably better than my vats-reduced modded bat, or the serrated and electrified sword.

There's no reason to sprint toward an enemy unless you're not wearing power armor, and in that case you'll be burning action points and health to close with enemies you could easily just walk up to and beat down in two hits, in power armor. Pump your int and get a point in nuclear scientist, it's worth it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 15, 2015

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

It's not anywhere near as tough as you're making it out to be, also the sledgehammer and super sledge and other "SLOW" weapons are the absolute worst for a melee focused build.

You do need a sidearm, but I mean as far as that goes, I pretty much have been carrying the same 10mm pistol since level 10 and I almost never draw it. You can use molotovs and grenades to deal with most threats, but turrets are obnoxious and it's just easier to peek barely out and pump a few rounds into them before they can line up on you.

Never said it was hard, just that it's harder than using guns.

And when I say the super sledge is the best melee weapon, I mean for melee builds, not Rooted-Blitz-Ninja-Pickman's Knife teleporting ninjas. Like you run up to something and one-shot it with your hammer. There's a ceiling above which DPS doesn't really matter anymore and you just use what feels right.

coyo7e posted:

There's no reason to sprint toward an enemy unless you're not wearing power armor, and in that case you'll be burning action points and health to close with enemies you could easily just walk up to and beat down in two hits, in power armor. Pump your int and get a point in nuclear scientist, it's worth it.

Pain Train? I don't even use PA to be honest.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 15, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Deified Data posted:

Never said it was hard, just that it's harder than using guns.

And when I say the super sledge is the best melee weapon, I mean for melee builds, not Rooted-Blitz-Ninja-Pickman's Knife teleporting ninjas. Like you run up to something and one-shot it with your hammer. There's a ceiling above which DPS doesn't really matter anymore and you just use what feels right.

Pain Train? I don't even use PA to be honest.
I literally have none of the things you're referring to. I even posted a screenshot of my perk build just a little bit about this post. I only put two points into non-SPECIAL perks, and mentioned how at least one of those was totally inessential. I'm literally referring to a switchblade I found off a raider near Danse's cop shop. I haven't even started picking up grim reaper sprint or the melee bonuses etc, pumping my stats and occasionally surfing weapons shops and bodies has kept my damage and defense very viable (also staying in power armor except when I had low int and no cores at 12-16th level or so).

I have never had pain train, I think Nerd Rage etc are dumb gimmicks and haven't ever had them. But just pumping SPECIAL seems to really offset most of the weaknesses you might otherwise run into as a mainly melee character, and frankly I'm only melee oriented because 4 PER makes vats annoying for most guns at low level.. But if I keep pumpig SPECIAL I suspect I'll either have 9 PER pdq, or 10 CHA and a bunch of deathclaw and assaultron sidekicks. ;)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In my experience you really have to go out of your way to gently caress up with melee.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

In my experience you really have to go out of your way to gently caress up with melee.

gently caress up any build really. Go get anything that sounds roughly like it fits a spec and you probably will do okay at doing that thing even if it's not minmaxed optimal.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Karthe posted:

Med-X and eat lots of food. Med-X is the only thing I want to buy from vendors, I get real jazzed when I find it in the wild.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What do you guys think of the level gated crafting perks? (aka level gated weapon and armor upgrades)? I find it pretty satisfying that my guns last a number of levels and grow with me throughout the game, and that with crafting perks you can get the best mods without scrounging for them on vendors.

While there are definitely some straight upgrade paths, especially in armor, things like automatic receivers, caliber swaps, and power armor mods can really lend a different feel to an item and let your make a gun work with commando vs rifleman etc. which is really neat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Psycho now decreases enemy damage too, right? Does that stack with Med-X?

Kinda wish Party Boy/Girl got altered to work like Old World Gourmet, make it so that alcohol also healed you in addition to the other effects. The luck-boosting and stat-doubling effects are okay though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, I didn't know you can slaughter everyone including Danse aboard the Prydwen. That was pretty satisfying.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

What do you guys think of the level gated crafting perks? (aka level gated weapon and armor upgrades)? I find it pretty satisfying that my guns last a number of levels and grow with me throughout the game, and that with crafting perks you can get the best mods without scrounging for them on vendors.

While there are definitely some straight upgrade paths, especially in armor, things like automatic receivers, caliber swaps, and power armor mods can really lend a different feel to an item and let your make a gun work with commando vs rifleman etc. which is really neat.
a lot of perk requirements could stand to be 10-15 levels earlier

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I feel like Bethesda really missed an opportunity to make Preston and the Minutemen a reflection of your character instead of the "Always help everybody!" thing that they became. I mean, you were the one always helping everyone in game, the Minutemen were the ones that were sort of always getting kidnapped of threatened by a half of dozen ghouls on the other side of the map. You know, when they weren't having trouble believing that they actually existed.

I can't even remember the amount of times I helped out a settlement in the name of the Minutemen only to have another settler to walk up to the guy who just debriefed me about say something along the lines of "Yeah, I believe that the Minutemen exist when I see them do something!".

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pain Train is pure insanity, engage with a jetpack leap into the middle, then just keep sprinting into everyone while taking drugs and hitting people with a big hammer (I like the regular sledge better). Melee really needs to be played in third person, with a jetpack, overdrive PA legs, Pain Train, Moving Target and no more than Blitz 1. gotta go fast!

Hit Dunwich Borers with this build for an awesome time. You'll see that sneaky teleport melee poo poo build is just a distraction from the true path of psychojet-fueled carnage. :black101:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Speedball posted:

Kinda wish Party Boy/Girl got altered to work like Old World Gourmet, make it so that alcohol also healed you in addition to the other effects. The luck-boosting and stat-doubling effects are okay though.

I'd be happy if it worked like Whiskey Rose and removed the negative effects, probably at rank 3 so it's not completely overpowered (though alcohol is still less insane than chems anyway, probably.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zodium posted:

Pain Train is pure insanity, engage with a jetpack leap into the middle, then just keep sprinting into everyone while taking drugs and hitting people with a big hammer (I like the regular sledge better). Melee really needs to be played in third person, with a jetpack, overdrive PA legs, Pain Train, Moving Target and no more than Blitz 1. gotta go fast!

Hit Dunwich Borers with this build for an awesome time. You'll see that sneaky teleport melee poo poo build is just a distraction from the true path of psychojet-fueled carnage. :black101:

I appreciate how if you're wearing power armor, the super sledge becomes a one-handed weapon.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

a lot of perk requirements could stand to be 10-15 levels earlier

That'd give it several levels of being way powerful compared to vendors and drops too which would make them more viable than just as conveniences or simple gates.

Levels for commando or whatever are probably cool as is and local leader just needs to freakin die

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Speedball posted:

What do you mean? Are you asking does it increase damage taken? Then no, it doesn't.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Everyone keeps talking about Vendors selling mods for guns in the game. I've never found one. Do you have to get to a certain point?

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Delsaber posted:

I'd be happy if it worked like Whiskey Rose and removed the negative effects, probably at rank 3 so it's not completely overpowered (though alcohol is still less insane than chems anyway, probably.)

Nothing beats a 45 second psychojet high (apart from a 67 second one, but you must leave your power armor and jetpack for that, so it doesn't count) but +6 STR, +50 HP and +70 AP is pretty cool. Also, apparently Party Boy's 3rd rank effect stacks with every separate beverage, so of course a guy posted a screenshot on Reddit in which he had 70-odd luck.

Alcohol seems to be unaffected by Chemist, though--it feels like it lasts for a fairly short while, which is quite annoying.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr Hootington posted:

Everyone keeps talking about Vendors selling mods for guns in the game. I've never found one. Do you have to get to a certain point?

No, just very few do. I got 90% of my weapon mods just from random guns enemies dropped "oh look, a silenced 10mm, I should strip that mod" from about the third raider I killed. The only reason I even have gun nut is so I can build turrets.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

Only way to play melee, IMO.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Azhais posted:

No, just very few do. I got 90% of my weapon mods just from random guns enemies dropped "oh look, a silenced 10mm, I should strip that mod" from about the third raider I killed. The only reason I even have gun nut is so I can build turrets.

Yeah I didn't even know you could stripe mods. I just build all my own.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

reposted because I don't know what page it was orgiinally on

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 15, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah I didn't even know you could stripe mods. I just build all my own.

It is trivial to find guns that have almost any mod you'd ever want (barring rarer ones like gauss rifles, but any of the baseline things), especially if you wipe out a few gunner camps. I had stockpiles of powerful receivers and such long before I could have actually built them. The only gun (in my current run anyway) that I've had to mod myself (like a pleb) is my .44 since those are pretty uncommon in general. Melee weapons seem to be a lot more tricky to find, but there just might not be a lot of mods for those which would account for the lack of variety in drops.

Armor mods seem a lot harder to just find (mostly because the mods seem to be restricted to both type of armor and slot). I got a lot more bang for my buck raising armorer so I didn't need to find a shadowed combat armor left arm mod.

Store wise the gun guy in Diamond City and everyone's favorite assaulttron in Goodneighbor sell mods pretty frequently. Cricket probably does too (best voice acting in the game right there). I imagine the gun seller in Bunker hill also has them but I can't honestly say I've ever even bartered with anyone there.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So how are people making money? or are you even caring about money? I'm level 30ish and was thinking of taking caps-collector but decided to take strong back instead because I feel like I can make more money just by being able to carry more poo poo back to a base. Still considering caps-collector though at some point to play with building shops. I feel like the only reason I'd want shops is to try to get some of the rarer items.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

coyo7e posted:

I've never put a point into blacksmith. It's garbage. You can surf weapon shops to get melee weapons with appropriate mods. I'd way rather have 3 extra points in STR or AGI or LCK than 3 points in blacksmith (also you've gotta be like fuckign level 36 to get 3 ranks in it dont you). I'm on V Hard and my primary weapon was a serrated switchblade for a long rear end time, in fact it's still arguably better than my vats-reduced modded bat, or the serrated and electrified sword.

To someone making an overhaul: roll Gun Nut, Armorer, and Blacksmith into one five rank perk tree called 'Repair.' Thanks in advance!

MMD3 posted:

So how are people making money?

Just get Scrounger, and you'll probably end up with more caps in barterable bullets than if you took Cap Collector.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 15, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MMD3 posted:

So how are people making money? or are you even caring about money? I'm level 30ish and was thinking of taking caps-collector but decided to take strong back instead because I feel like I can make more money just by being able to carry more poo poo back to a base. Still considering caps-collector though at some point to play with building shops. I feel like the only reason I'd want shops is to try to get some of the rarer items.

I've never thought about caps at all. I don't have any perks that give me caps or better deals. I always end up with plenty of caps if I need to buy something.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MMD3 posted:

Get 1 point in science. build a pile of water filtration units so you've got a couple dozen more water than you do people in that settlement. Fast travel away and back, sell purified water by the score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MMD3 posted:

I've got 30k or so caps and would have more if I actually cared but I haven't sold anything for 30 levels now. With strong back 4 you could just haul everything that drops from every location to the diamond city market and pawn it all off.

Most people seem to actually make money using settlements and becoming water barons. There's so little to buy I haven't really seen any value in doing that.

• Locked thread