Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

it was kind of hell to be a kid tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i don't think I'd want to impose that on anyone

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
I mean if someone really really wants you dead, there isn't much you can do about it honestly

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Berke Negri posted:

i don't think I'd want to impose that on anyone

being a kid was fine

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You also got anti bully Programs

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

being a kid was fine

okay binow

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the best years of childhood are 18-24 imo

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

like post-columbine, you saw the introduction of PRO Officers, wide spread metal detectors, a discussion on school uniforms, etc etc

luckily I think things are starting to soften up in schools nowadays. at the very least my schools had none of those

maybe i was just lucky

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Berke Negri posted:

it was kind of hell to be a kid tbh

Being a kid was fun as hell, I dunno what you're talking about.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

UberJew posted:

you and I were lucky, we got out of school just a few years ahead of the real loving bullshit setting in

I was in highschool less than 5 years ago, middle-school less than 10.

we had none of this bullshit.

The last year of highschool they started making visitors check in or something, but it wasn't enforced.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

site posted:

Being a kid was fun as hell, I dunno what you're talking about.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Some people enjoyed being young and others did not you see it varies.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Being a kid owned but I'm white and decently well off

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my childhood was pretty good but i enjoy the relative freedom of adulthood more

like, yeah, i got to gently caress around and do whatever i wanted in my neighborhood. but i had to go to bed at nine. now nobody tells me when to go to sleep but me

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

we were required to have either mesh or clear backpacks and a dress code that was basically solid colored polo shirts with pants and belts tucked in (no one followed this), school t-shirts allowed on friday :lol: they've eased up and allow school t-shirts any day now but still. public high school in a minority majority school district in texas

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

sparatuvs posted:

I was in highschool less than 5 years ago, middle-school less than 10.

we had none of this bullshit.

The last year of highschool they started making visitors check in or something, but it wasn't enforced.

and now you're a food terrorist, so they went somewhere wrong

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Aeryk posted:

and now you're a food terrorist, so they went somewhere wrong

the foodibomber

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We definitely got Officers at my school after columbine.

Pretty sure the dudes at columbine targeted cafeteria times.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

we were required to have either mesh or clear backpacks and a dress code that was basically solid colored polo shirts with pants and belts tucked in (no one followed this), school t-shirts allowed on friday :lol: they've eased up and allow school t-shirts any day now but still. public high school in a minority majority school district in texas

Same here but w/o a school uniform. Dress code was basically no beards, no sandals, no short shorts, etc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Popular Thug Drink posted:

my childhood was pretty good but i enjoy the relative freedom of adulthood more

like, yeah, i got to gently caress around and do whatever i wanted in my neighborhood. but i had to go to bed at nine. now nobody tells me when to go to sleep but me

I had to "go to bed" at like 9 in elementary school, but by junior high I didn't even have to obey legal curfew lol

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

In my junior year of high school they banned all hats and any solid red or blue clothing because of "gang affiliation" problems (although I can't recall anyone ever actually being busted for being a gang member). They also brought in two full time police officers that year.

site fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 15, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

site posted:

I had to "go to bed" at like 9 in elementary school, but by junior high I didn't even have to obey legal curfew lol

is that because the sun never sets in alaska

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the best years of childhood are 15-35 imo

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Rollofthedice posted:

Same here but w/o a school uniform. Dress code was basically no beards, no sandals, no short shorts, etc.

um discriminatory

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol no beards....

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i always thought living in a cyberpunk dystopia would be cooler than it actually is

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

are you still on a boat

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Berke Negri posted:

is that because the sun never sets in alaska

It certainly sounds a lot better than my parents just not caring.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Being a kid was pretty great for me, I had a lot of squirt guns and cap guns. I didn't have a lot of video games but that was only because my style has always been to have one or two games and play the living poo poo out of them

Also I rode my bmx a lot

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

sparatuvs posted:

um discriminatory

Yeah it was rather silly. I think my hs got away with it b/c there's a negligible amount of muslims in my town
though discounting religious reasons can a 17 or 18yo really pull off a beard? i think not

Chelb fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 15, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Aeryk posted:

are you still on a boat

nah I'm back at my land office now

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Well this website is gross for a variety of reasons

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rollofthedice posted:

Well this website is gross for a variety of reasons
I hate poo poo like this, I really do

independent of the idiocy, I do find it slightly interesting that the first mosque is owned from Illinois, while the other three are local

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

we couldn't wear plain white t shirts because of gang affiliations

what gangs are in a lovely suburban middle school

anyway in 11th grade we had an unannounced police raid where the principal had the cops cops lock down the school all day and literally went door to door with drug dogs searching everyone's backpacks for drugs. without telling any of the staff what was going on. that was fun. I think all they found were a few joints and a bottle of tequila from mom's liquor cabinet but my friend nearly got expelled over having a box of Midol in her car

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

fade5 posted:

independent of the idiocy, I do find it slightly interesting that the first mosque is owned from Illinois, while the other three are local

This leads to an interesting wikipedia article

wikipedia posted:

The North American Islamic Trust (NAIT) is a Saudi-backed organization based in Plainfield, Indiana, that owns Islamic properties and promotes waqf (Islamic endowments) in North America. It is the financial arm of the Muslim Students Association.[1][2]

NAIT finances and holds titles to mosques, Islamic schools, and other real estate to safeguard and pool the assets of the American Muslim community, develops financial vehicles and financial products that are compatible with both Shari'ah and American law, publishes and distributes Islamic literature, provides legal advice to Muslim organizations, and facilitates and coordinates Islamic community projects.[3]

On October 20, 2010, Judges Garza, Benavides, and Crone of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals found that the U.S. Department of Justice violated the Fifth Amendment rights of the North American Islamic Trust (NAIT), and by implication the rights of more than 300 similarly-named Muslim organizations and individuals, such as CAIR, when it included them on the publicly-filed un-indicted co-conspirator list in 2007. The court also ruled that inclusion on the list was the result of "simply an untested allegation of the Government made in anticipation of a possible evidentiary dispute that never came to pass." The listing is simply part of tactical pre-trial maneuvering and not an indicator of guilt. In 2011, Attorney General Eric Holder indicated that Department of Justice officials determined after "looking at the facts and the law, a prosecution would not be appropriate." This conclusion was reached after two reviews conducted under both the Bush and Obama administrations.

(...)

The effort to spread Wahhabism has led to conflict with more moderate and less fundamentalist Moslems as with Saudi backing NAIT has seized control of mosques in various states including Florida, California, Illinois, Texas, and Arizona.[24][25] "We feel this is very much a war for the heart and soul of our religion," said Jamaluddin Hoffman of the Islamic Supreme Council of America, which represents Sufi Muslims. Khalid Durán, an Islamic scholar and author, said NAIT wants "all the mosques to be ideologically pure in their own Wahhabist line. They want to prevent others from having influence." Durán and others say NAIT often takes title to a mosque after extremists have seized control. Soon, Wahhabi literature shows up in the mosques and related Islamic schools, only Wahhabi-oriented speakers are allowed to speak, and women are often separated from men for services.[26]

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ooh, I forgot about the time an 8th grader was handing out Xanax pills to 6th graders and saying they were candy

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ooh, I forgot about the time an 8th grader was handing out Xanax pills to 6th graders and saying they were candy

kids got lovely business sense

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

the high school i went to for about six months of senior year had banned carhartts because they thought they were gang colors

this was in rural-rear end humboldt county

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Luigi Thirty posted:

what gangs are in a lovely suburban middle school

anyway in 11th grade we had an unannounced police raid where the principal had the cops cops lock down the school all day and literally went door to door with drug dogs searching everyone's backpacks for drugs. without telling any of the staff what was going on. that was fun. I think all they found were a few joints and a bottle of tequila from mom's liquor cabinet but my friend nearly got expelled over having a box of Midol in her car

They broke into students cars too? How is that not illegal?

Aeryk posted:

kids got lovely business sense

The first one's free. Get em hooked.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I got a day of in school suspension for a pack of smokes after the assistant principle searched my car.

gently caress you Mr.Highsmith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

site posted:

They broke into students cars too? How is that not illegal?

students dont have rights on school property lmao

• Locked thread