Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
How about JJTrek in a universe where man evolved from corn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a trailer. A teaser, no less. It's made by marketing with the most xtreme looking clips from an hour and a half of movie.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Ok, fair enough and whatever, but I was just able to turn to my coworkers and say

"Kirk jumps a motorcycle over a wall of an alien tire-fort while beastie-boyz music played."

I mean. I'm intrigued to find out where you think the wiggle room is, there.

Anyway, we all had a generally positive affect immediately following the sensory stimulus.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

JJ trek is an alternate universe, so it probably has even ones being bad and odd ones being good.

Or wait, no, even ones are star wars, and odd ones are farscape.

JJ trek continues the traditional pattern, uninterrupted.

You just have to remember that Galaxy Quest counts.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Someone mentioned that the next Star Trek was going to aim for a slice of the Guardians of the Galaxy pie. Looks like they were right on the money.

I wonder how good a Star-Lord I can make in STO...

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

AfroSquirrel posted:

I wonder how good a Star-Lord I can make in STO...

This is really easy to do with the Vaadwaur uniform.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lagomorphic posted:

This is really easy to do with the Vaadwaur uniform.

So easy that there are already at least three separate pubbie starlords putzing around already. They tend to meet up on ESD and confuse the poo poo out of the chat, it's kinda funny.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything the Vaadwaur uniform can't do?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Get Technical his marks back

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

-Troika- posted:

Is there anything the Vaadwaur uniform can't do?

Uninstall the game for me.

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It's a trailer. A teaser, no less. It's made by marketing with the most xtreme looking clips from an hour and a half of movie.

Silly MikeJF, thinking this movie's gonna be only 90 minutes long... :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just like that the Enterprise gets destroyed, again.

I think that needs to happen in every movie. It can be the space going version of Kenny from South Park.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DancingShade posted:

I think that needs to happen in every movie. It can be the space going version of Kenny from South Park.

The movies depict a typical pubbie playing ISA.

Also Kirk's jacket in the trailer looks kind of like the Dyson uniforms.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DancingShade posted:

http://chainsawsuit.com/comic/2013/02/04/the-star-trek-movie-idea-vault/

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Kesper North posted:

Because the movies they're making now are not, in any meaningful sense, Star Trek. Just because they found one of Shatner's old toupees and stuck it on Chris Pine's head doesn't mean it's not a Fast and Furious movie masquerading as Trek.
:goonsay:

My favorite argument, mainly because 'the human condition', while a critical component of the series, was never part of any of the good trek movies. Khan, Voyage Home, First Contact, et. al were all popcorn movies. TMP is the shining example of what people want out of trek, and it is basically unwatchable.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Yeah, the best trek movies were always bigger on the action, or the comedy in voyage home's case. If they want TMP style trek, they're gonna have to wait for a new TV series, and even then, it'll probably be more kin to DS9 in it's serialization, and a bit more dark as that's the current trend in television.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Because the movies they're making now are not, in any meaningful sense, Star Trek. Just because they found one of Shatner's old toupees and stuck it on Chris Pine's head doesn't mean it's not a Fast and Furious movie masquerading as Trek.
:goonsay:

You say that as though the Fast and Furious movies aren't excellent though? Have you seen them?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kafziel posted:

You say that as though the Fast and Furious movies aren't excellent though? Have you seen them?

IMHO the ones Justin Lin directed are the best ones. This Trek film is going to kick some serious rear end.

Also, people complaining about action-Trek in a thread for a Trek-themed action MMO. :jerkbag:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Melchior posted:

My favorite argument, mainly because 'the human condition', while a critical component of the series, was never part of any of the good trek movies. Khan, Voyage Home, First Contact, et. al were all popcorn movies. TMP is the shining example of what people want out of trek, and it is basically unwatchable.

"The human condition" apparently doesn't extend to the contemplation of one's own mortality, which is what TWoK is all about. That they need to make movies based on that to be "real" Trek and not any of the other ideas that they deal with is just weird to me.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Yeah, I'm on board with DI, here. Khan had a lot of things going on. It was about colonialism in the sense that they were working on a device that was part weapon and part terraformer. It was about justice and untouchables, because Kirk had put Khan there with his people, ostensibly as an act of generosity and mercy, but then some random bullshit had happened and made the planet a nightmare--Maybe that's not kirk's fault, but there is an element of neglect. Like 'Just maroon these assholes somewhere and then it's not my fault'--even if it was a nice spot to begin with is still part of our attitude about crime and punishment.

Maybe the biggest thing about it was just the idea that khan was so warped by years of anger and loss that he was going to throw away his people's chance at starting over just to get revenge on a guy who, offended his ego. Kirk is a dorky regular human, and yet Khan's life revolves around this guy's generosity. It's galling for someone who survived and rose to the top in the world we're told he came from. Now he's worn out. He's the emperor of dirt, and the only people who care about him are his surrogate grandchildren.

The thwarted ambition, and tension between kirk's sense of responsibility and khan's sense of kirk's responsibility is why that movie gets so much credit.

Voyage home is the same movie, except that Khan is a whale.

And First contact is the same movie, except Khan is a borg queen and the whole thing is bizarrely unmotivated, and the writers forgot about everything that happened in TNG up to that point.

And galaxy quest is the same movie, except Khan is a sexy squid that makes out with Tony Shalhoub.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

kafziel posted:

I have seen all of them and yet, paradoxically, I'm not a fan. I think they're kind of dumb. I feel the same way about JJtrek. You can have an action movie that isn't dumb; Wrath of Khan is a great example of this. But the JJTrek movies have had that same ineffable dumbness as the FaF movies, and I feel like a Trek movie should aspire to a little more than that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Star Trek Beyond looks like a fun, dumb sci-fi action flick that I have no idea why they're attaching the Star Trek name to it beyond the power of the brand. You'd think Star Trek of all settings would be one where you could see a woman play a notable role in a trailer without immediately wondering which male protagonist she's going to get railed by, but here we are.

At least the Star Wars prequels had pretensions to being more than dumb sci-fi action flicks.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9702503-star-trek-online%3A-happy-birthday-garrett-wang!

That's right. A giveaway of a full fifty Tier2 ships. The Weslies can't even compare to the chance of winning a Rhode Island.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
What are they going to do with the extra 48 ships?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I... Already own one!

Happy birthday Harry Kim we gave fifty people a poo poo spaceship everyone already got in a giveaway.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I mean... It's pretty appropriate, really.

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

Disappointed in the lieutenant Boff slot.
Harry Kim's signature ship should only be crewed by ensigns.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They had a Rhode Island general giveaway before during an anniversary, everyone already has one.

I'd totes buy a T6 Nova and use the RI skin.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

They should give away a Kobali copy of the Rhode Island that's weird and pink and hosed

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SKY COQ posted:

They should give away a Kobali copy of the Rhode Island that's weird and pink and hosed

Or a Mirror Rode Island. It'd be useful for Admiralty at least.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I love admiralty; the rewards are really quite good and it's not hard to get to 10/10 with a decent ship roster. I'm tempted to buy my Klingon and Romulan alts some (non-zen) ships, all they do is farm contra all day otherwise, might as well get some more dilithium coming in.

In moviechat, I read an interview with Justin Lin that actually sounded quite promising, so I'll concede that maybe I should just relax.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Hahahahahahaha it just occurred to me that they can't release a T6 Rhode Island because, as a mere Captain, Harry Kim wouldn't be qualified to fly it.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char%28Optimus%20Prrrime@startrekallover%29/ship-equipment

Enjoy.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Poor space pancake :smith:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

No, no I won't.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Lot of fusing going on. Like when they fused a man with a Nautilus to make Klingons, a man with a bat to make Vulcans, a man with Technical's marks to make Troika and a man with a pony to make Railrokh.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Can I be megaclaw?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If I wanted to take my Vesta out for a spin, what's the best secondary deflector to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

gently caress.

• Locked thread