Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I for one am excited for a 4X game with meaningful decisions while exploring. Too many are just "uncover map".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sindai posted:

I hope nobody seriously believes Stellaris is that close to release unless you enjoy disappointing yourself.

I paid 10 dollars to post on an Internet videogames forum; Unrealistic expectations and crushing disappointments are my bread and butter in this life.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Actually I guess the serious concern would be the release dates for Stellaris and HOI4 getting too close together.

Relevant question being: which one would get pushed back for more polish?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Remember that HoI4 was announced long before Stellaris (along with the canceled Norse RPG whose name I can't remember) and was originally scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2015.

It's safe to say it's actually close to release now that there's a closed beta. Stellaris definitely isn't.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 15, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I am confident that Paradox will push out timelines if they need to. They probably have some cushion due to CK2 and EU4 DLC sales now.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Sci fi nerds in this thread, what is it about Fungi that make them so common as an alien race in sci fi genres? (Maybe they're not so common and it's just confirmation bias, idk!) Is there some special property of fungus that makes it plausible for a sapient fungoid alien race to exist? What make fungi more suitable than plants for a non-Fauna alien race? Or is it just a case of 'wouldn't it be cool if'?

Like I don't mind if it is the latter, I'm just curious because it seems like a cool thing that I'm totally ignorant about!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Sci fi nerds in this thread, what is it about Fungi that make them so common as an alien race in sci fi genres? (Maybe they're not so common and it's just confirmation bias, idk!) Is there some special property of fungus that makes it plausible for a sapient fungoid alien race to exist? What make fungi more suitable than plants for a non-Fauna alien race? Or is it just a case of 'wouldn't it be cool if'?

Like I don't mind if it is the latter, I'm just curious because it seems like a cool thing that I'm totally ignorant about!

On that note, why is every species humanoid? Even the fungaloids are just 2 arms and 2 legs stuck on a torso with a weird shroom like head.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Because the human form is the closest and most ideal form to God.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Fungi are more like animals than they are like plants, and exhibit traits found in both.

They are cool is what I'm saying

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Demiurge4 posted:

On that note, why is every species humanoid? Even the fungaloids are just 2 arms and 2 legs stuck on a torso with a weird shroom like head.

Because we're all made in God's image, dummy.

Edit: drat beaten

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

AdjectiveNoun posted:

They're weird, and weird is cool. Also, I don't think they're really all that common, are they? I feel like I even see more plant-based races in sci fi than fungus-based.

Demiurge4 posted:

There's a few physical reasons it'd be pushed at least somewhat in that direction.

It's beneficial for sense organs to be as high on the body as is practical, in order to have the greatest effective range. Minimizing the distance nerve impulses have to travel implies that the central neurological structure would be near those organs. Taken together, this would lead to something like a head.

Any technological species presumably must be capable of locomotion, and more importantly, of fine motor manipulation. The latter implies something hand-like - corvids for example are fairly intelligent, and can even use sticks as tools by grasping them with their beaks, but they probably wouldn't be able to build up advanced tools this way. Taken together with the previous issue, this also pushes us towards a form that stands upright on its hindmost limbs in order to have the highest vantage point for observation and free up the foremost limbs for manipulation.

Radial symmetry is common enough in ocean species, but it doesn't really allow for effective movement on land, where you pretty much have to use limbs to get around (excepting snakes, say).

These reasons take us a good portion of the way towards a humanlike form - bilaterally symmetric, upright (at least to some extent), with a head, and manipulator appendages. There's no inherent reason to exclude more limbs, of course, maybe something like a centaur, but.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 15, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Alchenar posted:

Actually I guess the serious concern would be the release dates for Stellaris and HOI4 getting too close together.

Relevant question being: which one would get pushed back for more polish?
The relevant comparison is that HOI4 is finally in beta, while Stellaris screenshots are still getting marked as alpha.

I forget the whole discussion around the HOI4 delay, but now that they are rolling in cash didn't they say the whole plan to prevent new HOI3s (and to a lesser extent, CK2s but at least that was salvagable) was something like a minimum 6 month beta following what the director considers feature complete?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I think it has a lot to do with some of the Fungi on Earth that do really semi-sentient things that creep people out.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They are probably not gonna release their two titles for the year within months of each other, no.

Maybe autumn/chrismas 2016 for Stellaris, barring further HoI4 delays.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Westminster System posted:

I think it has a lot to do with some of the Fungi on Earth that do really semi-sentient things that creep people out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis

Such as everyone's favorite mind controlling fungus.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

zedprime posted:

The relevant comparison is that HOI4 is finally in beta, while Stellaris screenshots are still getting marked as alpha.

I forget the whole discussion around the HOI4 delay, but now that they are rolling in cash didn't they say the whole plan to prevent new HOI3s (and to a lesser extent, CK2s but at least that was salvagable) was something like a minimum 6 month beta following what the director considers feature complete?

What's the story on the CK2 launch? I played it not too long after launch (definitely before the first expansion) and it was fine.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yeah, I'm confused about that as CK2 was the "A good Paradox launch????" game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

V2 was the whole 'well this looks good but after a week you realise there's not much game and the economy is utterly broken' release.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

popewiles posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis

Such as everyone's favorite mind controlling fungus.

I thought that was just in X-Files.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think he meant Victoria II.

Demiurge4 posted:

Anthromorphic fungi are non, and must be cleared to make way for juffo-wup. Or the mi-go, your choice.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I thought that was just in X-Files.

The X-Files is pretty much just a dramatized documentary.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bold Robot posted:

What's the story on the CK2 launch? I played it not too long after launch (definitely before the first expansion) and it was fine.

The CK2 launch was fine; it was remarkable in how fine it was, honestly.

I suppose that in retrospect it looks underperforming on account of how many new features have been added to the game since, but seriously, CK2 was great from launch day on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, I'm confused about that as CK2 was the "A good Paradox launch????" game.

Yeah CK2 was like the turning point where players and the media realized paradox could launch good polished games and was a serious for real game company rather than an acquired taste niche. V2 and Hoi3 were disasters though. There's been some iffy EU4 expansions but they all got fairly quickly patched up nice. I don't know why anyone would use CK2 as a bad example.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 15, 2015

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
There's probably something wrong with me because I played EU3 and HOI3 on launch and didn't really notice anything bad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Strudel Man posted:

Radial symmetry is common enough in ocean species, but it doesn't really allow for effective movement on land, where you pretty much have to use limbs to get around (excepting snakes, say).
Why exclude the ocean though? Interstellar Starfish is the name of the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I might be mixing up Way of Life with the original CK2 launch getting reamed by the real grognards for having less to do than Deus Vult, although I swear CK2 had the usual hot mess for 3 months minor scripting stuff everyone thought was as good as we were going to get until EU4.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why exclude the ocean though? Interstellar Starfish is the name of the game.
No fire underwater, no metalworking without fire, no meaningful technology without metalworking.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

canepazzo posted:

From a Paradox producer's twitter:

:smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F65xNuqmLdU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

No fire underwater, no metalworking without fire, no meaningful technology without metalworking.

The spergfest that is all of the lore from Sword of the Stars wants a word with you about volcanic engineering and metallurgy embraced by psychic dolphins.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

More dignified than what I was thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvuM3DjvYf0

A super far future campaign with a successor race to humanity would be cool.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

The spergfest that is all of the lore from Sword of the Stars wants a word with you about volcanic engineering and metallurgy embraced by psychic dolphins.
Nah, it doesn't work realistically. Water's a great conductor of heat compared to air, so if you get close enough to a volcanic source for it to be hot enough to melt iron, you're getting fried yourself.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, it doesn't work realistically. Water's a great conductor of heat compared to air, so if you get close enough to a volcanic source for it to be hot enough to melt iron, you're getting fried yourself.

Not what is stated, but I'm glad we have experts on Xenobiology.

Its Sci-Fi, don't over think, or assume that biological sciences wouldn't be just as valid a pathway to advancement.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If you're wondering how a society can advance itself technologically without fire and other vaguely science facts
Just repeat to yourself
"It's just a game,
I should really just relax."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Not what is stated, but I'm glad we have experts on Xenobiology.

Its Sci-Fi, don't over think, or assume that biological sciences wouldn't be just as valid a pathway to advancement.
I'm just offering an explanation for why the mostly-humanoid set of body types we're seeing isn't that unreasonable. v:shobon:v The Liir are fine, and fun, but they're hardly obligatory.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 15, 2015

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
But, Strudel Man, I take your internet comments about science fiction game race variations deathly seriously.

Maybe.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 15, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Takanago posted:

There's probably something wrong with me because I played EU3 and HOI3 on launch and didn't really notice anything bad.

Well I still think that HoI3 was the best PDX game ever made and the most enjoyable part is to set up my order of battle. I just love the "organigram on a map" look it has.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

If you're wondering how a society can advance itself technologically without fire and other vaguely science facts
Just repeat to yourself
"It's just a game,
I should really just relax."

This

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Question for a Paradox dev. Is the tech deck influenced by your policies? Am I more likely to get certain techs if I have a large amount of stations running studies on primitives?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Weren't the Liir uplifted though? With sufficiently advanced technology you could buffer yourself from this effect, but you'd never be able to develop that technology to begin with due to this effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
As for the Liir.. answering that is spoilers. Even though probably no-one cares.

Kind of but not really - http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/Suul'ka