Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

if everyone is a poo poo like you say, those who hold themselves above it all are nothing more than the kings of poo poo mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

mr.capps posted:

kings of poo poo mountain

You are one to talk Mr. Craps

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nodelphi posted:

This is really the only response needed to SJW BS.

isn't one of the criticism of SJWs is they hide away from anyone who calls them out on their behavior, lol

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I've literally never heard of the term SJW spoken aloud in real life so I'm pretty sure all you idiots are making this stuff up.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I've literally never heard of the term SJW spoken aloud in real life so I'm pretty sure all you idiots are making this stuff up.

they are but they get real mad if you try to ruin their fun

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

A misanthrope posted:

they are but they get real mad if you try to ruin their fun

Friend I heard it on the drat radio the other day. hosed up, but true

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is loving crazy to me, like the type of behaviors that people criticize "SJWs" or "neckbeards" for are the very same behaviors that are being engaged in here, the only difference is instead of it being "left wing" or "right wing" noise, its just the noise of political apathy and self satisfaction

its insane

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

Who do Murray and Derek represent in the context of this thread

I require labels

I dont know I just like that movie so its up to the reader I guess. Im probably going to do the scene from Reservoir Dogs where Mr Pink talks about how he doesnt tip next

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

mr.capps posted:

if everyone is a poo poo like you say, those who hold themselves above it all are nothing more than the kings of poo poo mountain

poo poo man, I'm not pretending like I'm not poo poo either

poo poo

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

a bay posted:

I dont know I just like that movie so its up to the reader I guess. Im probably going to do the scene from Reservoir Dogs where Mr Pink talks about how he doesnt tip next

Please dont

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Friend I heard it on the drat radio the other day. hosed up, but true

dont listen to that glenn beck guy i hear he is a crazy person!!

is he still on the radio? i dunno

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Nah NPR. I heard Glen Beck on the radio at my mechanic's shop the other day so I know he's still on :(

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Nah NPR. I heard Glen Beck on the radio at my mechanic's shop the other day so I know he's still on :(

aw man i was kinda hopin he died :(

iheard he raped and killed a lady in the 80s

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
I too have heard the words "social justice warrior" on NPR. Thanks Terri Gross

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ArbitraryC posted:

You really shouldnt get to disagree with medical professionals, i think the main issue with trans stuff is its like aspergers in that the majority of people who claim to have it are self diagnosed. This creates and environment where people believe its solely a special snowflake issue even though it does actually affect some of the population.

Medicine can define disorders and treatments, but it sure as hell can't - and shouldn't try - to overreach into social areas. Medicine doesn't - and shouldn't try - to address the authenticity of the target gender. Even if doctors could issue a certificate which says "you're a woman now", that's not going to change attitudes about penises in women's spaces or the desirability of trans people as sexual/romantic partners any more than legal changes of name/gender markers changes those attitudes. You can legislate civility, but you cannot legislate belief.

Yes, the special snowflake brigade complicate the issue even more and have probably even set back the cause. The whole trans* umbrella expansion boosted numbers at the expense of perceived credibility.

Medicine in general also has a pretty appalling track record when it comes to mental health issues and it's horrifying to look back on many of the things on which medical professionals agreed even relatively recently. Lobotomies were regarded as such a breakthrough that their pioneer was awarded a Nobel prize for developing the procedure. The history of medical "cures" for homosexuality is well documented.

Whether medicine is "right" about something is often only apparent in hindsight. In 50 years we may regard the "gender" industry in the same way that we now regard the "recovered memories" industry or the psychosurgeons of last century. It's impossible to tell now whether we'll see those who promote it as heroes or villians and whether we'll see the provision of the very things which trans activists are demanding as forward-thinking or grossly irresponsible on the part of health professionals.

People only started believing it was solely a special snowflake issue recently, when the "trapped in the wrong body" narrative was replaced with "I feel, therefore I am". Prior to that, people might not have understood fully understood transsexualism but distance from the issue allowed a degree of pity. It wasn't something which forced itself into the average person's life. The whole "even if I've got a neckbeard and a dick you will respect my pronouns or else" poo poo has probably fostered a level of hostility which was absent before and ridiculous extremes of language policing have only exacerbated that.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Lolie posted:

Medicine can define disorders and treatments, but it sure as hell can't - and shouldn't try - to overreach into social areas. Medicine doesn't - and shouldn't try - to address the authenticity of the target gender. Even if doctors could issue a certificate which says "you're a woman now", that's not going to change attitudes about penises in women's spaces or the desirability of trans people as sexual/romantic partners any more than legal changes of name/gender markers changes those attitudes. You can legislate civility, but you cannot legislate belief.

Yes, the special snowflake brigade complicate the issue even more and have probably even set back the cause. The whole trans* umbrella expansion boosted numbers at the expense of perceived credibility.

Medicine in general also has a pretty appalling track record when it comes to mental health issues and it's horrifying to look back on many of the things on which medical professionals agreed even relatively recently. Lobotomies were regarded as such a breakthrough that their pioneer was awarded a Nobel prize for developing the procedure. The history of medical "cures" for homosexuality is well documented.

Whether medicine is "right" about something is often only apparent in hindsight. In 50 years we may regard the "gender" industry in the same way that we now regard the "recovered memories" industry or the psychosurgeons of last century. It's impossible to tell now whether we'll see those who promote it as heroes or villians and whether we'll see the provision of the very things which trans activists are demanding as forward-thinking or grossly irresponsible on the part of health professionals.

People only started believing it was solely a special snowflake issue recently, when the "trapped in the wrong body" narrative was replaced with "I feel, therefore I am". Prior to that, people might not have understood fully understood transsexualism but distance from the issue allowed a degree of pity. It wasn't something which forced itself into the average person's life. The whole "even if I've got a neckbeard and a dick you will respect my pronouns or else" poo poo has probably fostered a level of hostility which was absent before and ridiculous extremes of language policing have only exacerbated that.

Medical professionals are also walking back the recent treatment of trans issues after studying it more carefully.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-mchugh-transgender-surgery-isnt-the-solution-1402615120

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Gammatron 64 posted:

People can gently caress whoever they want to gently caress and believe whatever, I don't care.

The thing is gender dysphoria is an actual mental illness. You have the chromosomes you are born with and you can't change them. Intersex people do actually exist but they're pretty rare.

I think the thing that puts people off is you have folks like Bruce Jenner who is obviously physically male and believes himself a woman and insists that you join in on the delusion. It's like if a crazy person believes they're a dragon but get mad that you don't think they're actually a dragon. It's basically like someone trying to tell you that 2 + 2 = 5 and you're an evil bigot if you don't agree.

I've basically realized that people who are really hardcore into political activism or slacktivism or whatever tend to be assholes regardless of what ideology they subscribe to. Everyone is poo poo.

And I say this as someone who is p fuckin' liberal and agrees with 95% of what Bernie Sanders has to say but some think I'm some kind of right-wing Republican\Libertarian\Nazi\whatever and fuckin' lol

Also fedora-wearing neckbeards and crazy SJW tumblrinas actually do exist and I've ran into them in the wild. Both are as terrible as you'd think in person. This is what I get for living in a college town with a lot of nerds.

2+2 can equal 5 for large values of 2. It's both an engineering joke and a subtle insight of how it's easy to view things you don't fully understand in a black/white manner and come to the wrong conclusion.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Thats really insightful man, you must of put your thinking cap on when that post was made

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ArbitraryC posted:

2+2 can equal 5 for large values of 2. It's both an engineering joke and a subtle insight of how it's easy to view things you don't fully understand in a black/white manner and come to the wrong conclusion.

And yet it's only for certain value of "woman" and "man" that women can have penises and men can give birth. Your statement doesn't really strengthen your position.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 15, 2015

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

You are a nerd posted:

Until you realize that's not a scarf the guy is wearing.

goldmine

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

I've literally never heard of the term skeleton spoken aloud in real life so I'm pretty sure all you idiots are making this stuff up.

Skeletons are in fact very real, and are an integral part of all of us. Hope that Helps.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

nigga crab pollock posted:

Skeletons are in fact very real, and are an integral part of all of us. Hope that Helps.

I'm skeleton-kin

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

if i see one more thread whining about skeletons im going to flip the gently caress out

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

A misanthrope posted:

if i see one more thread whining about skeletons im going to flip the gently caress out

you're in trouble I guess, because that's all GBS posters seem to want to talk about these days

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

you're in trouble I guess, because that's all GBS posters seem to want to talk about these days

Everyone should stop responding and put on ignore that one, the bay one, terrorz and the rest of them or this thread will get gassed like the rest that make them upset that such things exist on their internet forum of choice. Not you the one you're responding to.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lol "big boned" :eyepop:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pictured: what SJWs think their skeletons look like :v:

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
This thread used to be "hahaha look at this weird idiot family" but now it's turned into a bunch of goons popping up all shouting "NO LOOK AT ME I'M THE BIGGER IDIOT ME ME ME" thanks guys

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
The complaining guy is right, still nobody has topped my Bob Marley joke and that was like 18 pages back

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It would probably help if you actually went outside.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wont someone cry for Stefonknee Wolschtt!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It would probably help if you actually went outside.

I don't really know any insufferable naval-gazing losers in my city, but we might just run in different social circles.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Nurge posted:

He's probably talking about eunuchs, who were granted a sort of a high caste position in ancient china and a few other cultures. You could make an argument to that being a third gender.

Anyone who would do so is stupid and knows nothing about history or gender. Eunuchs were used in places like China and the Eastern Roman empire for entirely practical reasons in bureaucratic positions, because in societies where the family/clan unit amasses political power, a man who cannot have a family cannot amass power and their loyalty remains to the noble or government agency that got them their job and will not be diminished or set against their own ambitions for their family and children.

Also, in old patriarchal societies like China where gross tiny-dicked emperors had hundreds or thousands of concubines in palaces operating under their own internal bureaucracy, the idea of women having sexual liberty made their tiny dicks shrink even tinier, and so men without dicks were ideal to fulfill the roles of go-betweens/advisors/aides/companions for these women.

ArbitraryC posted:

Google "cultures with more than 2 genders" if you're actually interested, but yeah there are plenty of historical examples.
The first result was me advising u against opining on issues of gender/sex because with any issue less than 6 degrees removed from the X chromosome ur brain is a slot machine rigged to pay out goofy bullshit on every pull

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't really know any insufferable naval-gazing losers in my city, but we might just run in different social circles.

Are you saying you are unfamiliar with fans of seamen?

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

CharlestonJew posted:

This thread used to be "hahaha look at this weird idiot family" but now it's turned into a bunch of goons popping up all shouting "NO LOOK AT ME I'M THE BIGGER IDIOT ME ME ME" thanks guys

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE SAVE THAT CHILD FROM THESE MONSTERS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

4outof5 posted:

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE SAVE THAT CHILD FROM THESE MONSTERS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Oh that kid is a lost cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Bliggers- posted:

Oh that kid is a lost cause

That kid's gonna grow up to be Alex Keaton levels of conservative.

• Locked thread