Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

are you blind, rubio looks like an attractive young man

He's not ugly but it's not like he turned down a career in professional modeling, even catalog work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, when I was young (like, a teenager) I was also duped into thinking that the Democratic party is run by crypto-commie apparatchiks and limousine liberals, and that their voters were a mix of middle-class bleeding hearts and plebs wanting more bread and circuses. But, it didn't follow that the Republican party was run by Randian-Nietzschean rugged individualists and that voting Republican made me the same. I mean, if you think the Democratic party is run by bureaucrat-oligarchs, who do you think runs the Republican party?

Likewise, I don't think most inner-city voters are totally naive about Democratic candidates. So I guess nobody likes the candidate they vote for, but takes it for granted that the other party's candidates are much much worse?

Apologies if this is too off-topic. I'm just trying to grasp this meme of the Hollywood liberal elite, which seems particularly intransigent considering that the wine-and-cheese social set actually leans Republican.

pretty much yeah

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Three Olives posted:

He's not ugly but it's not like he turned down a career in professional modeling, even catalog work.

maybe he just looks good compared to ted "chernobyl" cruz etc

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Blasphemeral posted:

You're thinking of this one, I think: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/romney-and-the-gops-five-ring-circus/

And Trump's not on it because it's from January. I think there was a more recent one with him included, but I can't find it now.

Yeah, gonna look for it, it was just like that one, but Trump was to the right of the Tea Party, in no circles.

e; Can't find it, I am pretty sure it was in the live chat of the last debate, but I guess that is gone now, oh well. Everyone agrees Trump isn't like any other candidate, no 'game changer' here. Gonna read some articles, haven't been there in a while, a few look interesting.

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 15, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

AhhYes posted:

New PPP Iowa Poll:

Trump - 28
Cruz - 25
Rubio - 14
Carson - 10
Jeb! - 7

No one else clears 3%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...ell-ahead-.html

AhhYes

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

i imagine him slowly grinding his way out of bed like an oblivion character, saying his scripted line, and then reverse-grinding back into bed

I just want you to know this made me laugh out loud.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

site posted:

Hey Joe, could you do me a favor and try to put the timezone in for your debate threads? I don't know whose 8:30 I'm supposed to be counting back from.

Debate starts at @104 .beats Swatch Internet Time, hope this helps.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

i imagine him slowly grinding his way out of bed like an oblivion character, saying his scripted line, and then reverse-grinding back into bed

Lol.

That makes me want to laugh and throw up at the same time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nessus posted:

Projection
So, same as when they say liberals are emotional while conservatives are paragons of reason?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

thethreeman posted:

I love these rankings and have posted them here before - really cuts through marketing (like rubio being "moderate establishment" when he really has tea party positions, even if he's less willing willing to piss off party leaders than Cruz)

The most consistent rankings are the "public statements" since they apply to congress and govs. That said, it's hard to average all this stuff. Eg Christie tends to be very liberal on environmental issues, but very conservative on other social points. And frequency matters: one person will be more rated more extreme if they talk about something a lot, even if they have the same idea.

Rubio and walker now have identical "public statement" ideology scores. They are the same on:
- abortion
- social security
- vouchers
- crime/punishments
- guns
- immigration/pathway to citizenship
- american exceptionalism
- military funding
- military isolationism
- marijuana legalization
- stimulus

Marco more conservative on:
- job/pay equality for women/minorities
- gay marriage
- keeping god in public sphere
- the EPA
- free trade

Walker more conservative on:
- repealing obamacare
- voter registration reqs
- green energy

If they did:
Trump:
Rubio:
Christie:

and... feel the bern:

I never stop being disappointed that Trump didn't turn out to be a populist like he seemed at first.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bryter posted:

Debate starts at @104 .beats Swatch Internet Time, hope this helps.

lol

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Don't worry, the experts say he has no chance:

Since that article was published fivethirtyeight has been more bullish on Cruz. Firstly because although he's more conservative than any recent Republican candidates, the party has become more Conservative in the last couple decades. And if Trump does well in the early primaries the party could rally around him as an establishment-outsider compromise.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hot take from the nyt

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Pinterest Mom posted:

hot take from the nyt

"Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for Donald Trump if you knew that he fathered an illegitimate black child?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yes, when I think of the George H.W. Bush campaign I certainly don't think of vicious attack ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io9KMSSEZ0Y

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Montasque posted:

Quick talk radio update:

Rush has walked back his anti-Trump stance. I think the media blew it when they reported that Rush and Levin were in it to back Cruz and take down Trump. FOX NEWS in particular used Rush to prove that Trump is done.

Rush now thinks Trump can beat Hillary, and the idea that Kasich, Jeb, or Fiorina hitting Trump on electability is a laugh. Rush says if they can't beat Trump how can he expect them to beat Hillary.
This is very interesting, thanks for posting it.

I had kinda though that Rush trying to go anti-Trump wouldn't go very well, and I was right, it didn't. The Establishment is getting increasingly panicked about Trump, and it's amazing to watch.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Guns are coming out, Trump will officially be Stumped before the clocks strikes midnight tonight. Infact, he will turn back into the pumpkin that he is as JEB!!! verbally destroys him at tonight's debate. I am SO excited!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

Since that article was published fivethirtyeight has been more bullish on Cruz. Firstly because although he's more conservative than any recent Republican candidates, the party has become more Conservative in the last couple decades. And if Trump does well in the early primaries the party could rally around him as an establishment-outsider compromise.

But in what world does that make sense? It's as if the GOP establishment is saying, "gently caress you Trump, if anyone is going to destroy the GOP it's going to be us". Cruz is largely a product of talk radio, which keeps dragging the GOP further and further to the right. Accepting Cruz as your savior would just be an admission that talk radio is more relevant than the RNC.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 15, 2015

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Do It Once Right posted:

1 out of 1 billionaire sugar-daddys agree.

get the gently caress outta here

where is that from

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Joementum posted:

Yes, when I think of the George H.W. Bush campaign I certainly don't think of vicious attack ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io9KMSSEZ0Y

I figured it meant "personal" as in qualities not actually salient to politics. You know, like the kind of attacks Trump's known for.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Rocks posted:

get the gently caress outta here

where is that from

South Miami Senior High School's 1989 King Cobra talent competition. (their school mascot is a cobra)

Rubio and his team did not win.

http://observer.com/2015/04/photo-emerges-of-marco-rubio-acting-like-a-high-schooler-in-high-school/

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Aliquid posted:

...Obersgruppenfuhrer Suburban Nazi are really amazing characters.

How can you tell that he's not just a normal suburbanite?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Squalid posted:

538 is going to miss the forest for the trees and claim any Trump loss as victory even though they've completely missed the boat on Ted Cruz too. They are only getting bullish because the hopes for a sensible by the book victory rest on the shoulders of Marco Rubio. Every other candidate is chaos for traditional models.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Are Mike Murphy and Tim Miller on talk shows talking about how Jeb! has won the debate yet?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Michael Corleone posted:

Guns are coming out, Trump will officially be Stumped before the clocks strikes midnight tonight. Infact, he will turn back into the pumpkin that he is as JEB!!! verbally destroys him at tonight's debate. I am SO excited!

Peachstapler posted:

WaPo article on the December 15th Trump prediction out the Jeb! private meeting in November:

quote:

"I'm just curious, when are you going to make a more aggressive attack on Donald Trump?" an unidentified man asked Bush. "It seems like in the last couple of debates — I mean, I'm your biggest fan, but at the same time it seems like there's not a lot of fight in you. I'm just curious, come December 15, is that a possibility?"

"Come December 15, Trump will be in decline," Bush said to applause.

Can't stump the Trump.:unsmigghh:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 22, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven't read this thread since late October, and my life has been blissful as a result. 18,000 posts later, it doesn't seem like much has changed in the GOP race in the last six or seven weeks.

On a whole, what's the general view on Trump running?

I mean, we all know he's crazy but do you all think this is a good thing or a bad thing?

While it is bad that he's inspiring a bunch of idiots to do/say a bunch of dumb things, I think for the most part it is a good thing as it is bringing out the crazies and allowing the rest of the people to see "Holy gently caress, the GOP is hosed up."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

National Organization of Marriage thinks that they are responsible for the Ted Cruz bump after they endorsed him

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:mrgw:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

The world is ending, OP.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I can't believe how excited I am for Trump's decline!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't know, I've seen some real poundings on the internet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Three Olives posted:

Whenever I try to visualize Marco Rubio the first mental hit I get is him his alter ego on Alpha House.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

fade5 posted:

oh man, jeb! is almost white noise

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Jewel Repetition posted:

I figured it meant "personal" as in qualities not actually salient to politics. You know, like the kind of attacks Trump's known for.

But not engaging in pointlessly petty name calling isn't a Bush family predilection, that's just something 99.9% of politicians gain no benefit from.

Both Presidents Bush were pretty happy to ride personal attacks on their opponents to great success (and sometimes humiliating failure). HW in particular ran the '92 campaign mostly as a referendum on Bill Clinton's character.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I'm super excited for Jeb!'s suicide bombing of Donald Trump tonight!!!

A literal suicide bombing!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Predictwise now has a graph: http://predictwise.com/politics/2016-president-republican-nomination/

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I am enjoying the recent trajectory of Rubio's poll average.

please tell me you have the source for this

e: nvm, found it

in true jeb! style, 'jeb bush pounded hard' did not turn up a single exciting result

Peel fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 15, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't read this thread since late October, and my life has been blissful as a result. 18,000 posts later, it doesn't seem like much has changed in the GOP race in the last six or seven weeks.

I mean, we all know he's crazy but do you all think this is a good thing or a bad thing?

While it is bad that he's inspiring a bunch of idiots to do/say a bunch of dumb things, I think for the most part it is a good thing as it is bringing out the crazies and allowing the rest of the people to see "Holy gently caress, the GOP is hosed up."
A bunch of us have started to come around to the idea that "holy poo poo Trump could actually be the Republican Nominee, what the gently caress".

Take a look at that graph I posted, it's kind of terrifying. Trump has lead since July, with only Carson coming close (and then following a 2012-style decline). Walker, Jeb!, Fiorina, and now Carson have all flamed out, and it's down to Trump, Cruz, and Rubio. Jeb! in particular has spent $50 million dollars on ads (half of his "unbeatable" $100 million dollar SuperPAC), and it hasn't helped for poo poo, he's stuck at 3%.

Rush Limbaugh tried to go against Trump and pivot to supporting Cruz, but it backfired and he walked it back today. There are going to be 9 candidates (still) at the debate, so a coordinated take-down of Trump is basically impossible, so Trump's going to come out of the debate either unchanged or better.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

fade5 posted:

What happened at the end of September that ate Trump's and Carson's numbers temporarily?

• Locked thread