Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

freebooter posted:

I get where you're coming from - the guy put an Islamic State flag up for gently caress's sake. But the Wikipedia page has a long segment on "debate whether this is a terrorism event" for a good reason. When you read about the guy's history it's hard not to think that he wasn't just a fruit loop who, because of his cultural background and personal history, happened to latch onto Islamic extremism as a cause du jour. (Which of course raises the question of how we define mental problems, and how many "terrorists" had mental problems.) But nothing happens in isolation. You can be a Muslim radical (with legitimate grievances!) and also be a lunatic, and that raises the sticky question of how we separate those two when defining the act itself.

Actually he requested an isis flag during the siege because he didn't have one himself. That to me reveals that it was all sort of a last minute ploy to seem scarier than he really was.

And most terrorists don't have any mental issues except perhaps a bit of PTSD from seeing their families killed by drones etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
The subjective mental state of the person committing the act doesn't change the objective characterisation of their actions as terrorism hth

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Monis was a terrorist in the same way Bryant was a terrorist. It's just that Monis had many more years of the media screaming about Daesh and was brown.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of why the economy is going into so much debt? I'm assuming it's a bit more complicated than the trifecta of a squandered mining boom, unwillingness to cut middle class/Western Sydney welfare, and the overpriced housing market?

Lower iron ore prices means less tax taken from mining companies and lower wages means less tax taken as income tax. The Abbott government's policy of not diversifying the economy (although to be fair this was a trend started under Howard and continued under the ALP) has left us exposed to fluctuations in the Digging poo poo Out Of The Ground And Flogging It To China industry, and their policy of reducing wage inflation (i.e. making people earn less to keep labor costs down) has had the obvious predictable results.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Seems like Monis is being used as a bit of a political football to justify preconceptions about muslims or something, with the left adamant that his mental health problems disqualifies him from being a terrorist and the right happy to milk it to add fuel to their brown panic fire.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

freebooter posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that for me, I think terrorism has to be purely ideological

For me it's this. Monis was just dumb and confused about what he was even doing. He was trying to be a part of something he saw on the TV, he has no other ties.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

freebooter posted:

For a greenie like me stripping coal subsidies seems like a no-brainer, but then... like, why are we giving them in the first place? How much of our electricity comes from coal? Do they actually need those subsidies to run the industry and supply us with power?

I don't want to make assumptions in either direction. It strikes me that there may be a good (if uncomfortable) reason to be subsidising an industry which should really be pretty profitable on its own.
Majority of most states (other than South Australia) use coal for electricity. Victoria heavily depends on its coal fired power stations in the Latrobe Valley.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Sometimes I feel like it's just expectancy effects - people expect radical Muslims so will take any opportunity to validate their own beliefs.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

Monis was a terrorist in the same way Bryant was a terrorist. It's just that Monis had many more years of the media screaming about Daesh and was brown.

I would not characterise Bryant as a terrorist, and it's not because he was white. His violence had no ideological motive behind it. (Anders Breivik, on the other hand, is very much a terrorist.)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Isn't a big part of terrorism the threat of more terrorism? Which is why it's effective, and why you need to be part of a wider political movement to be a terrorist. If you're just some random guy who's not part of a wider movement, like Brevik, then no matter how horrific your actions once it's over it's over people can start to get on with their lives. If you're in ISIS or Al Qaeda or the IRA or FARC or whatever and you blow something up people keep worrying about when it'll happen next.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

freebooter posted:

I would not characterise Bryant as a terrorist, and it's not because he was white. His violence had no ideological motive behind it. (Anders Breivik, on the other hand, is very much a terrorist.)

It's almost like I was saying Monis wasn't a terrorist and was just a sick gently caress.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
As natural resources diminish, globally we will be pushed towards a fascist society where people put the need for food on the family table over the health of the planet and endless war becomes the norm as traditional channels of diplomacy collapse as nationhood requires resources to be maintained.

At the centre of this bleak future is you.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

It's almost like I was saying Monis wasn't a terrorist and was just a sick gently caress.

Sorry, I thought you were arguing that both Monis and Bryant were terrorists. There is definitely a school of thought which says all mass shooters are terrorists - which I disagree with but serves as a useful way of illustrating how ridiculous it is that America will go apeshit trying to prevent another San Bernardino but doesn't give a gently caress about Aurora/Virginia Tech/Sandy Hook etc.

open24hours posted:

Isn't a big part of terrorism the threat of more terrorism? Which is why it's effective, and why you need to be part of a wider political movement to be a terrorist. If you're just some random guy who's not part of a wider movement, like Brevik, then no matter how horrific your actions once it's over it's over people can start to get on with their lives. If you're in ISIS or Al Qaeda or the IRA or FARC or whatever and you blow something up people keep worrying about when it'll happen next.

This is also true, except I'd argue that Breivik was part of a wider movement, just a non-organised one. Ditto abortion clinic shooters.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
whole bunch of reclaimers and UPF duders fantasizing about the "inevitable civil war" where the glorious right-wing ubermensch will finally crush those drat limp-wristed lefties and return Australia to it's former pure glory.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

That is the definition of terrorism that I grew up with. The ideology wasn't the core, it was built around the injustice of occupation or some other injustice, and the goals of terrorist acts were to free dissidents and return homelands. Then suicide-bombing became popular, but they weren't called terrorism that I recall until 9/11 gave the excuse to do so, mainly because suicide-bombers were specifically people who had no other form of protest than to blow themselves up on enemy property, they were just "bombings", and that's what bombings were called unless a terrorist organization claimed responsibility.

Now "terrorism" is being manipulated to provide "oh dear" moments without the repercussions of the obvious security failures that incidents like Martin Place are. Monis was a security failure not a terrorist. A classic case of security theatre covering up a reluctance to do their job and get easy credit. It's also particularly stupid from a security standpoint because once everything is "terrorism", you run out of sane responses and your failures are even more obvious.

If you can't call Brevik a terrorist then case closed on Monis.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/graffiti-vandals-could-face-jail-for-illshaped-swastika-at-midland-gate-shops-20151215-gloas3.html

quote:

Graffiti vandals could face jail for ill-shaped swastika at Midland Gate shops

Graffiti vandals could reportedly face up to 14 years in jail after a pair of ill-shaped swastikas and white supremacy slogans appeared in the carpark of Midland Gate Shopping Centre.

A local resident who found and photographed the graffiti on Monday said he was concerned as it did not appear to be a case of children misbehaving.

"They don't know their swastikas, that's for sure," the resident said of the roughly spray-painted shapes.

"But I don't think it's just kids up to no good. The slogans that were painted with them saying 'white lives matter' seem a bit more adult than that.

"There are people in the community who would understandably be offended by this and maybe even a little fearful."

The Midland Reporter, which first covered the story, reported that local police were seeking assistance to find the perpetrators.

More "white lives matter" slogans were found on the Great Eastern Highway at Woodbridge, nearly two kilometres away. Both lots of graffiti have since been cleared by the City of Swan.

"These types of offences will not be tolerated and come with a penalty of up to 14 years' jail," Midland Senior Sergeant Craig Davis was reported to have said.

"This is racism and I ask anyone with any knowledge of who is doing this to contact me immediately."

According to the Midland Reporter, stickers were placed in the carpark of Midland Gate two years ago, inviting residents to engage in a Blood and Honour forum on white power.

Midland Gate said it understood the graffiti had happened on Sunday night or early Monday morning, confirmed it had been removed and that this type of vandalism had not previously been a problem.

Sen Sgt. Davis said there was no CCTV in the areas where the recent incidents had occurred.

:lol:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

That's not a swastika, it's a snake-person. Leave it to the PC Nazis to screw that one up :rolleyes:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Why is the definition of terrorism so important anyway? This whole stupid argument started because someone implied people shouldn't be upset that a gunman took people hostage in the Sydney CBD and two people died as a result.

Even if Monis wasn't a "terrorist" however you want to define it, it doesn't really make what happened matter any more or less.

loving lol indeed. Not surprised it's Midland.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

EXAKT Science posted:

That's not a swastika, it's a snake-person. Leave it to the PC Nazis to screw that one up :rolleyes:

Haha, I can see it now. Snekbro has a shield out and everything.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Birb Katter posted:

#NagaLivesMatter

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

MonoAus posted:

Why is the definition of terrorism so important anyway? This whole stupid argument started because someone implied people shouldn't be upset that a gunman took people hostage in the Sydney CBD and two people died as a result.

Even if Monis wasn't a "terrorist" however you want to define it, it doesn't really make what happened matter any more or less.

It does though, it goes from being an isolated incident to something that fuels racial tensions dramatically. This sort of poo poo is how you radicalise a population and it then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

We must secure the existence of our serpents and a future for snake eggs.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

hooman posted:

We must secure the existence of our serpents and a future for snake eggs.

quote:

Not all snakes lay eggs, you raccccisssssssst
_____________________________________________________________________________/

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

_____________________________________________________________________________/

:thejoke:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just when you thought it was safe to send Australians on a diplomatic mission (yes you had been drugged and your signature is an obvious forgery):-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-16/australian-delegation-to-west-bank-%27very-explosive%27/7032084

quote:

Delegation to West Bank led by Christopher Pyne 'not well educated', local minister says By Middle East correspondent Sophie McNeill Updated about an hour ago

An Australian-led delegation to the West Bank featuring Minister Christopher Pyne, former speaker Bronwyn Bishop and Human Rights Commissioner Tim Wilson:psyduck: has been criticised by a Minister in the Palestinian Authority, who said the group had "false information" and were "not well educated".

Mr Pyne, the Minister for Industry, Innovation and Science, on Sunday led the delegation – which included members of the British parliament – to Ramallah. All the delegates were visiting Jerusalem for two days as part of an annual Australia-UK-Israel leadership dialogue. Mr Wilson said the group "quizzed" the Palestinian Prime Minister and Education Minister about a range of topics. Palestinian Minister for Education Dr Sabri Saidam described the meeting as "very explosive and very challenging" and said the group had asked "rude and blunt" questions.

We couldn't do anything as stupid as send Minister Christopher Pyne, former speaker Bronwyn Bishop and Human Rights Commissioner Tim Wilson to a Middle East hot spot could we? Well looks like we can do a bunch of dumb stuff even without their direct involvement!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-15/audio-captures-raaf-challenging-chinese-navy-in-south-china-sea/7030076

quote:

South China Sea: Audio reveals RAAF plane issuing warning to Chinese Navy during 'freedom of navigation' flight By defence and national security reporter Andrew Greene and China correspondent Bill Birtles
Updated yesterday at 8:46pm

A radio recording of a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) surveillance plane conducting a freedom-of-navigation flight over the South China Sea has emerged for the first time. The audio has been published by the BBC following a reporting assignment in the disputed Spratly archipelago. In the scratchy radio recording, an RAAF pilot is heard speaking to the Chinese Navy. "China Navy, China Navy," the voice says. "We are an Australian aircraft exercising international freedom of navigation rights, in international airspace in accordance with the international civil aviation convention, and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea - over."

The BBC said it recorded the flight audio from a RAAF AP-3C Orion surveillance aircraft in the early afternoon on November 25. According to the BBC, the message was repeated several times by the RAAF pilot, but no response was heard from the Chinese. China claims most of the South China Sea— where more than $5 trillion of world trade passes through each year— in the face of rival claims from Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines and Taiwan.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang has said Beijing "resolutely opposes any country using freedom of navigation and overflight as a pretext for harming China's national sovereignty and security interests". To date, the Federal Government has never publicly acknowledged that Australia has conducted a "freedom of navigation" exercise in the contested region. The Department of Defence in Canberra confirmed the flight took place between November 25 and December 4. "A Royal Australian Air Force AP-3C Orion was conducting a routine maritime patrol in the region as part of Operation GATEWAY from 25 November to 4 December," it said. "Under Operation Gateway, the Australian Defence Force conducts routine maritime surveillance patrols in the North Indian Ocean and South China Sea as a part of Australia's enduring contribution to the preservation of regional security and stability in South East Asia."
On one hand the stuff that the Chinese are doing in the South China Sea is provocative and does threaten the long term stability of that part of the world. On the other hand Australian overflights are achieving nothing worthwhile towards reducing that threat and do little more than allow us to fill the Pentagon's pockets with a slow trickle of urine.

A quick word on terrorism and the definition etc. thereof. The terrorist goal is to cause disproportionate reaction from the opponent whom it is facing in asymmetric warfare. That's the mechanism via which it delivers its payload, terror. Faced with these threats the larger powers have reacted by taking measures that actually amplify the terror message because this suits their authoritarian agenda. That is why what is and isn't labelled 'terror' matters and why those who immediately label stuff as terror related are to be held in suspicion if not outright contempt. The terror drum is even more easily beaten by those who have the means to manipulate the population directly.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Cartoon posted:

A quick word on terrorism and the definition etc. thereof. The terrorist goal is to cause disproportionate reaction from the opponent whom it is facing in asymmetric warfare. That's the mechanism via which it delivers its payload, terror. Faced with these threats the larger powers have reacted by taking measures that actually amplify the terror message because this suits their authoritarian agenda. That is why what is and isn't labelled 'terror' matters and why those who immediately label stuff as terror related are to be held in suspicion if not outright contempt. The terror drum is even more easily beaten by those who have the means to manipulate the population directly.

I would say an important part of the definition of terrorism would include that the acts are designed to have a political outcome or impact. If there is no intended political outcome or impact, then it is just plain old murder. Most middle eastern groups committing acts of terrorism in western nations have the political goal of forcing those nations out of engagement in the middle east. the IRA had the goal of forcing the English out of northern Ireland. Martin Bryant had no political outcome intended, Anders Brevik did. I am not sure if Monis did or didn't.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Has Scott Morrison committed any serious crimes against humanity or done anything to offend god in the last 24 hours?

I mean it's not that I believe in god or the flying spaghetti monster or anything, the reason I ask is that his electorate just got smashed by one hell of a storm:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-16/tornado-hail-destructive-winds-hit-sydney/7032370

(Photo nicked from reddit)

EDIT: Granted any electorate willing to put Scott Morrison in power with 60% of the vote deserves to be washed off the face of the earth etc. etc.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 16, 2015

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I think I poorly phrased my post.

I understand why the definition of 'terrorism' is important in a global/political sense but I don't understand why it is important to the discussion people were having in this thread.

One side is saying Monis is a terrorist because 'my definition of a terrorist is X, Y, Z' while the other side is saying he wasn't because 'my definition of a terrorist is X, Y, Q'.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Rougey posted:

Has Scott Morrison committed any serious crimes against humanity or done anything to offend god in the last 24 hours?

I mean it's not that I believe in god or the flying spaghetti monster or anything, the reason I ask is that his electorate just got smashed by one hell of a storm:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-16/tornado-hail-destructive-winds-hit-sydney/7032370

(Photo nicked from reddit)

EDIT: Granted any electorate willing to put Scott Morrison in power with 60% of the vote deserves to be washed off the face of the earth etc. etc.

It really was just his electorate that got smashed too, I'm an electorate over and will still need to water the plants tonight it rained that little. For a few more pics ABC has a slideshow

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

It really was just his electorate that got smashed too, I'm an electorate over and will still need to water the plants tonight it rained that little. For a few more pics ABC has a slideshow

:stonklol:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Rougey posted:

Almost certainly yes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MonoAus posted:

I think I poorly phrased my post.

I understand why the definition of 'terrorism' is important in a global/political sense but I don't understand why it is important to the discussion people were having in this thread.

One side is saying Monis is a terrorist because 'my definition of a terrorist is X, Y, Z' while the other side is saying he wasn't because 'my definition of a terrorist is X, Y, Q'.

Terrorism is political. Being labelled a terrorist has consequences for anyone also matching whatever description we give terrorism. In Australia, that is apparently because one is brown or Muslim or "not from here". That is why it is relevant to discuss the brain-dead definitions being bandied about in the media and whether that matches our understanding.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
All the memorial is about is keeping TERRISM fresh in our minds so they can keep that sweet funding pouring into Border FORCE

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

starkebn posted:

All the memorial is about is keeping TERRISM fresh in our minds so they can keep that sweet funding pouring into Border FORCE

You're delusional.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

An Australian-led delegation to the West Bank featuring Minister Christopher Pyne, former speaker Bronwyn Bishop, Labor MP Tim Watts and Human Rights Commissioner Tim Wilson has been criticised by a minister in the Palestinian Authority, who said the group had "false information" and were "not well educated".

Mr Wilson said the group "quizzed" the Palestinian Prime Minister and Education Minister about a range of topics.

Palestinian Education Minister Dr Sabri Saidam described the meeting as "very explosive and very challenging" and said the group had asked "rude and blunt" questions.

When asked about Dr Saidam's comments, Mr Pyne said he believed he was very diplomatic, but admitted that some members of the delegation were potentially "too robust".

"I very diplomatically asked the Prime Minister and the Higher Education Minister questions which I thought would be useful for understanding the Palestinian attitudes to the peace process," Mr Pyne told the ABC.

"Other members of the dialogue were slightly more robust and could be accused of quizzing them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Tirade posted:

You're a terrorist.
FTFY.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

starkebn posted:

All the memorial is about is keeping TERRISM fresh in our memories

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

if you FEED a terrist or you FUND a terrist YER A TERRIST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXBeE3gaAug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Tirade posted:

You're delusional.

You're Tirade.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread